BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Just now, FGS5635 said:

I think the team has a couple of areas that need improving. Centre mid to partner smallwood and we need some pace and trickery out wide

If/when Leinhan comes back he can play along side smallwood and give us an insant upgrade in the centre

If/when chapman comes back he gives us the pace and trickery out wide.

Be great if we sign some new players who improve the starting 11, but I'd gladly take everyone staying and Leinhan and Chapman coming back fully fit asap

I don't think we can allow the window to just go by and rely on either of those two coming back to fill those two roles. What happens if we don't sign anyone and Chapman doesn't regain full match fitness while the middle of March.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tomphil said:

How many other clubs would've accommodated Evans the way we've done for the past few years considering his fragility and pandering to his International career ?  Not to mention his wages when all we get in return is a passenger in most games, the guy should've been head and shoulders above most in this division.

Get 500k for him and wages off the books and replace with a hungry player who occasionally might just step forwards a few yards with the ball and release a pass !

I think our only chance is to loan him out and even then we'd probably end up paying half his wages. Nobody who's actually watched him play recently would give us a fee for him.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think we can allow the window to just go by and rely on either of those two coming back to fill those two roles. What happens if we don't sign anyone and Chapman doesn't regain full match fitness while the middle of March.

Was more in an ideal world post than a blueprint for an actual plan

Im more worried about keeping certain players than who we bring in tbh.

Its a big if, but if those 2 come back fully fit, then they are both to good for this league and certainly big players for us in the 2nd half of the season

The concern is the possibility of Feeney coming back and the entirety of his £10,000+ a week salary going back onto the books. 

We had to get rid of him to free up the wages for Downing, Harper and Hart, so if he comes back the worry is whether the bean counters will insist on a departure or two to make up for it financially. 

But Mowbray did say that he had some cash left over from the summer so I wonder whether that will materialise.

Just now, lraC said:

Has any money come in for Mahoney yet?

We got just over a mill spread across three years didn’t we?

Hadnt thought about Feeney. Is he playing for Cardiff? That’s a real stinker if we’re lumped with his wages and it hinders our transfers. 

edit: re: Mahoney compensation, the latest accounts suggest we've only had net spend of £300k since March, and receiving something for Mahoney would partially explain that. (Where does £1m over 3 years come from?)

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

The concern is the possibility of Feeney coming back and the entirety of his £10,000+ a week salary going back onto the books. 

We had to get rid of him to free up the wages for Downing, Harper and Hart, so if he comes back the worry is whether the bean counters will insist on a departure or two to make up for it financially. 

But Mowbray did say that he had some cash left over from the summer so I wonder whether that will materialise.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Hadnt thought about Feeney. Is he playing for Cardiff? That’s a real stinker if we’re lumped with his wages and it hinders our transfers. 

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191101

Recent Warnock quote: "He wants to stay. I feel for him because I’ve not used him as much as I’d liked. I don’t think Blackburn wanted him to be honest. He’s not getting in the team but he’s fitting in really well in training. I now that if I throw him on late on he will get crosses in and take players on.”

The posters generally seem fine with him sticking around for the rest of the year as a squad player, so (thankfully) sounds like he'll be sticking with Cardiff.

Although, I would suggest Feeney would be of some use at this level, particularly given we do need another winger at the moment, but probably best to keep as much of his wages off the books as we can and use it elsewhere. I don't think Downing, Harper, and Hart was necessarily linked to Feeney's departure anyway, particularly with, as you mention, Mowbray saying we had money to spare last transfer window. Can't imagine any of those three are costing us much at the moment anyway.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why Madness? 

Graham isnt good enough to start regular in this team. Did nothing today or at Northampton. 

Samuel would be my 1st choice with Dack. 

Could we get better? Dont know..

But I deffo wouldnt be renewing his contract this summer. 

He had no service at all today or from the sound of it, on Saturday.

He has scored a few goals recently.

Samuel is really hit and miss, usually miss. Ive seen the performance he put in v Charlton (awful first touch, kept falling down, didnt hold it up, didnt appear a threat) more often than the Samuel who got a goal v Bradford. The jurys still out and i dont think hes done anything to put himself to the top of the pile, and im far from convinced he would go down as a good signing for the money paid.

Renewing Grahams contract in the summer is a totally different point. Hopefully we will be a league above by then and im not sure id even renew it.

But for now, he has scored a few goals lately, his work rate in recent weeks cannot be faulted, nor his attitude (unlike Samuel, kicking out at people and seeming disinterested), if its from the start, if its to close games out with his intelligent hold up, Grahams got a big part to play. Let him at least see out his contract.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

How do you know that Feeney had to leave to free up wages for Downing ,Hart and Harper?

Just now, alcd said:

Dack's recent eyecatching form must give concern that Pardew at WBA will renew his interest that led to a £2m offer from Crystal Palace being turned down by Gillingham in the January 2016 window.

He's a good player at this level but he's not a Premier League player.  Can you see him stumbling around top class defenders like he did against Rochdale's stumps on Saturday.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He had no service at all today or from the sound of it, on Saturday.

He has scored a few goals recently.

Samuel is really hit and miss, usually miss. Ive seen the performance he put in v Charlton (awful first touch, kept falling down, didnt hold it up, didnt appear a threat) more often than the Samuel who got a goal v Bradford. The jurys still out and i dont think hes done anything to put himself to the top of the pile, and im far from convinced he would go down as a good signing for the money paid.

Renewing Grahams contract in the summer is a totally different point. Hopefully we will be a league above by then and im not sure id even renew it.

But for now, he has scored a few goals lately, his work rate in recent weeks cannot be faulted, nor his attitude (unlike Samuel, kicking out at people and seeming disinterested), if its from the start, if its to close games out with his intelligent hold up, Grahams got a big part to play. Let him at least see out his contract.

Graham has scored 2 goals in the last 12 games. Yes just 2 goals  is that really good enough for a main striker. 

3 hours ago, J*B said:

Was the tribunal fee for Mahoney publicised.

I'd like to see us make a move for someone like Marcus Maddison at Peterborough. He would be exactly what we are looking for in terms of a genuine threat in the final 3rd out wide. He is only 24 with real sell on value. The Peterborough owner is known for selling if the price is right so I'd like to see us test the water in the window. Could Mowbray persuade Venkys to shell out say 750k-1mil to give us a huge boost? I doubt it.

Not sure why anyone would want Mahoney on loan, think Rovers fans have a tendency to want old players back.

He was not that good when he got into the team and by the end of the season when we improved he could barely make the bench. Hes not that quick and the main positive was his future potential which we wouldnt benefit from anyway.

Its why youve got to be careful with loans, ones like Chapman improve the team, ones like Harper are truly pointless.

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham has scored 2 goals in the last 12 games. Yes just 2 goals  is that really good enough for a main striker. 

How many minutes had he played in those games?How many had Samuel got in the last 12 games?Graham's experience and know how is valuable to the squad and you can tell he is respected by the other players.

He isn't the player he was when he first arrived under Lambert but in my opinion he still has a part to play for us this season. He is out of contract in the summer and then it probably will be time for him to move on but for now I don't see the point in moving him on as we won't get a transfer fee and would probably have to pay part of his wages

I know it is a risk with all eggs in one basket but if we have budget, I would rather focus it on one real impact player than spread it around three "who is that?" squad players. Yes we see weaknesses in several areas but the squad is hacking it thus far despite all their obvious limitations. And we have major players coming back hopefully from injury before the season end.

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

That must not happen. If the clown is here the temptation would be to play him especially if a similar circumstance to the one we had recently where Conway was injured and Bennett suspended. When is Feeney out of contract and therefore sackable?

51 minutes ago, islander200 said:

How many minutes had he played in those games?How many had Samuel got in the last 12 games?Graham's experience and know how is valuable to the squad and you can tell he is respected by the other players.

He isn't the player he was when he first arrived under Lambert but in my opinion he still has a part to play for us this season. He is out of contract in the summer and then it probably will be time for him to move on but for now I don't see the point in moving him on as we won't get a transfer fee and would probably have to pay part of his wages

Samuel has played in only 7 games of the last 12 games. Starting in only 2. Scoring 1 goal

Samuel info

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dominic-samuel/leistungsdaten/spieler/203784

Graham has started in 7 of those 12 games. scoring 2

https://www.transfermarkt.com/danny-graham/leistungsdaten/spieler/29152

And he is nowhere near the player he was when he signed here. 

He isnt the player Lambert signed but he wouldnt be in the league if he was. The crux of the matter is that none of our strikers are scoring enough. But i have seen much more recently from Graham in terms of hold up and work rate to show he is useful to the end of the season.

Can go at the end of the season when his contract is up. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Samuel has played in only 7 games of the last 12 games. Starting in only 2. Scoring 1 goal

Samuel info

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dominic-samuel/leistungsdaten/spieler/203784

Graham has started in 7 of those 12 games. scoring 2

https://www.transfermarkt.com/danny-graham/leistungsdaten/spieler/29152

And he is nowhere near the player he was when he signed here. 

He has scored in the cup too chaddy which you would be adding if he was rated by you.

Like I said his experience and know how adds to our squad. Do you disagree that he is respected by the other players?

Archived