BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

10 games? I will give him 15 to 20 games before judging him

Good job you aren't employed as a football scout!

You can usually tell after just one game if a player has anything at all to offer.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mercer said:

Good job you aren't employed as a football scout!

You can usually tell after just one game if a player has anything at all to offer.

I always like to watch a players over a few games before having an opinion. A player might look good against a certain team but not another

Over the years I have interviewed staff who are really good in a interview format but on the shop floor cant cut it after a few days and vice versa

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Standards, setting the bar realistically high is required. Seven years of meh and poor mentality needs to change. 

Winners are winners and is the mindset to be adopted by everyone

In fairness, that's how we got to Europe under Hughes after just escaping relegation.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My passion is there to be see Dunnfc as you know through our private conversations we had but I feel that you are being over critical of certain players or signings and Mowbray

Lets go over this yet again cos we haven't been over it before like a broken record

I gave Mowbray to impress and he certainly did that. Impressed by the way he got us to get 22 points from 15 games when Coyle couldn't even do that. The structure of the team and having Plan A and B. Plus he open and Honest comments he made throughout his time at the club

Lets go over this yet again cos we haven't been over it before like a broken recordI

I've no problem with you or Mowbray or your passion it's equally commendable. I refuse after yet more false dawns to get carried away. This board is a struggle with optimism, 2 relegations in seven years whilst spiralling further into terminal decline and you'd still as a neutral reading this board be none the wiser that we were actually relegated this summer, I find that extremely odd.

Im on the fence with TM, better than coyle and a football man however I felt he should have kept us up but much admire his gallant attempts to do so. Nigel Clough in the same games gained the same points total so it wasn't beyond TM yet NC had a marginally more difficult run with a weaker squad however we were rancid in TMs first game facing burton funnily enough and lost a bit there.

TM should have done better but as I say he also did well to run it so close hence for me he would not get anywhere near a new contract but he'd get ten games this season to prove himself. 

Mat the minute he's all to prove so I don't get the rosey eyes personally. Proof will be in the pudding.

26 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I've no problem with you or Mowbray or your passion it's equally commendable. I refuse after yet more false dawns to get carried away. This board is a struggle with optimism, 2 relegations in seven years whilst spiralling further into terminal decline and you'd still as a neutral reading this board be none the wiser that we were actually relegated this summer, I find that extremely odd.

Im on the fence with TM, better than coyle and a football man however I felt he should have kept us up but much admire his gallant attempts to do so. Nigel Clough in the same games gained the same points total so it wasn't beyond TM yet NC had a marginally more difficult run with a weaker squad however we were rancid in TMs first game facing burton funnily enough and lost a bit there.

TM should have done better but as I say he also did well to run it so close hence for me he would not get anywhere near a new contract but he'd get ten games this season to prove himself. 

Mat the minute he's all to prove so I don't get the rosey eyes personally. Proof will be in the pudding.

Clough didn't have to clear up Clueless Coyles mess though! 

6 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

No he just had a poorer squad earning a fraction of ours and got the same results meaning we went down. 

Ya ,but you can't compare the run ins like for like. Clough had built his own team there and was working with them all year. He did well to drag them out of it. Mowbray inherited an unfit, unmotivated, under-trained and unable to defend squad and almost kept us up 

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Some peoples glasses of water are half empty wow. Moan when we don't spend money. Moan when we do. 

moan when we spend money......mmm. How much have we spent net of Steele and likely compensation for Mahoney?   We have brought bodies in but other than Dack not aware fees were involved necessarily.?  Not really eaten into the Hanley/Duffy money which nestles safely in Barry's back pocket and I expect any further fees we do spend  will only be on the back of higher fees raised in sales.

Rude awakening around the corner for a number of posters on here I expect.-and that's before the balloon is popped at 10pm on deadline day.

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Good signing? Have you watched him play? This is a guy who could not dislodge Jason Steele.

You should only sign players to improve the squad, this window has been a bit of a farce in that respect tbf.

Couldn't disagree more with all of that.  For the first time in awhile we seem to have assembled players who are capable of doing what we hope to achieve.  For a club in League One hoping to achieve promotion these seem to be exactly the sort of players you would hope to sign.

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

No that's fair to say 10 games to be fair and that goes for TM

Good job you weren't passing judgement on Howard Kendall after ten games - you would certainly have had him down the road and missed out on one of our more successful managers.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Couldn't disagree more with all of that.  For the first time in awhile we seem to have assembled players who are capable of doing what we hope to achieve.  For a club in League One hoping to achieve promotion these seem to be exactly the sort of players you would hope to sign.

Bloody hell Parson steady mate! I am closer to Dunn Fc in his assessment than I am to yours.

Reality check coming soon .

4 minutes ago, TBTF said:

moan when we spend money......mmm. How much have we spent net of Steele and likely compensation for Mahoney?   We have brought bodies in but other than Dack not aware fees were involved necessarily.?  Not really eaten into the Hanley/Duffy money which nestles safely in Barry's back pocket and I expect any further fees we do spend  will only be on the back of higher fees raised in sales.

Rude awakening around the corner for a number of posters on here I expect.-and that's before the balloon is popped at 10pm on deadline day.

Will you be happier if the balloon is popped, or not popped? 

Sounds like a decent back up. Wouldn't be overly impressed if he was coming in as number 1, but seems like a sensible back up.

We're short of a couple of strikers and a defender but, aside from that, we've had our best window for many many years. 

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Good job you weren't passing judgement on Howard Kendall after ten games - you would certainly have had him down the road and missed out on one of our more successful managers.

Games moved on though significantly since then, sports fitness doesn't mean 3 half a and a pack of scratchings. Finances are more spectacular, it's completely different almost incomparable

Just now, TBTF said:

Bloody hell Parson steady mate! I am closer to Dunn Fc in his assessment than I am to yours.

Reality check coming soon .

Ultimately, you are signing players to get you out of this division and the ones we have signed seem to be the sort who will be decent at this level.  Lee and Kendall both signed players who would have had some on here up in arms about their quality and yet both managers fashioned teams that won promotion.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Games moved on though significantly since then, sports fitness doesn't mean 3 half a and a pack of scratchings. Finances are more spectacular, it's completely different almost incomparable

Football comes down to man management and getting 110% per cent out of every player.  Football is football and if finance was the only thing that mattered Leicester City would never have won the Premier League, Burton would still be non-League and the likes of Manchester City, Norwich, Leeds, Southampton and many more would never have sampled life in League One.

5 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Football comes down to man management and getting 110% per cent out of every player.  Football is football and if finance was the only thing that mattered Leicester City would never have won the Premier League, Burton would still be non-League and the likes of Manchester City, Norwich, Leeds, Southampton and many more would never have sampled life in League One.

Bad examples there Parson. City and Leeds both sampled life in League 1 when skint. Weren't Southampton skint at the time too?

Football isn't all about finances no and certain miracles do happen, ie: Leicester, but on the whole finances play a key role. This can't be argued against. I'd say largely each position in the league can be determined relative to expenditure. At least in the sense of which teams will struggle and which teams will be comfortable/push for silverware.

You can't expect to spend what we have spent in the past 3 yrs and not be where we are now. Quality now costs and loyalty is a thing of the past.

19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Whilst i'm not expecting miracles the landscape has changed a lot since then even in the lower leagues there is a bit of money swilling about enabling some clubs to put together competitive squads containing one or two high paid players who've operated at a higher level and aren't yet over the hill.

As always money tends to dictate and probably more so down here and we are one of the clubs I've mentioned so after 10 games we have to be looking to be in or around the top 5 mix this squad now in this div  I bet isn't similar to the rag tag mixture Kendal probably had comparatively speaking.

9 minutes ago, punerover said:

My personal expectations from TM if current squad is maintained or improved upon.

Top 2 - Very good Job

Top 6-  Decent Job

Top 10- Meh, should do better.

Bottom Half- Sacked.

Mine would be:

Top 2 - Well done.

Top 6 - One more season and if no promotion sacked.

Lower than top 6 - Sacked.

15 minutes ago, punerover said:

My personal expectations from TM if current squad is maintained or improved upon.

Top 2 - Very good Job

Top 6-  Decent Job

Top 10- Meh, should do better.

Bottom Half- Sacked.

If and it's a big if we have this squad or very similar the day after the window shuts then we don't want any Meh, should do betters it's not good enough we had all that in the champ and it only leads one way.

Archived