BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Doncaster Rovers

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, philipl said:

Worth remembering that newly promoted teams are very often a menace away to newly relegated clubs....

Yep. Early in the season is never a good time to play newly promoted teams. They're not had any bangings yet so they're still very confident, the fans are still full of euphoria so they travel, no injuries or suspensions to their squads so they can play their best eleven.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team would be

Raya

Nyambe Ward Mulgrew

Caddis Evans Smallwood Williams

Bennett Gladwin

Samuel

Subs:- Luetwiler, Doyle, Whittingham, Chapman, Dack, Graham, Antonsson

Going for 3-1 Rovers win

It's good we now have options upfront on the bench. 

Any idea how long Lenihan is out for? 

4 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Not sure how you can drop Smallwood after Tuesday and do you really rate Conway that much that you'd bring him straight back into the team after missing half of preseason and the start of the season? I definitely don't. I reckon Samuel deserves a start after Graham's embarrassing performance against Southend.

Smallwood was really poor at Southend, constantly losing the ball, Evans also played well v Coventry from what i've read and Whittingham is our main summer signing and we need his set pieces and passing, especially at home.

And for me, Conway is better than the alternatives and is a proven player. 

And Samuel was even worse than Graham v Southend and lacks a proven record that Graham has.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team would be

Raya

Nyambe Ward Mulgrew

Caddis Evans Smallwood Williams

Bennett Gladwin

Samuel

Subs:- Luetwiler, Doyle, Whittingham, Chapman, Dack, Graham, Antonsson

Going for 3-1 Rovers win

Why 3 centre backs at home? Especially when youve had to shoehorn Nyambe there. Makes no sense and seems like playing a formation for the sake of it.

Dropping our 3 main players going forward seems bizarre too.

• Backroom

I'd play

Raya

Caddis, Mulgrew, Ward, Williams

Bennett, Smallwood, Chapman

Dack

Graham, Samuel

I'm thinking Bennett and Chapman to have freedom of their wings in attack to support Dack and the strikers, but bunch narrow when defending.

Tempted to start Antonsson, mind.

Fancy a convincing win tomorrow to kick start our season.

If we can't beat newly promoted Donny then we really do have problems.

Think the bookies are very generous in offering Rovers' win at 10/11.  I'll take that with a cheeky £fiver on a 4-1 win at 35/1. 

Happy days are just around the corner.

Just now, Mercer said:

Think the bookies are very generous in offering Rovers' win at 10/11.  I'll take that with a cheeky £fiver on a 4-1 win at 35/1. 

FFS

Just now, Stuart said:

FFS

What's the problem?

There should be an enormous chasm between the two teams - one a relegated Championship team still able to field the likes of Mulgrew, Graham etc and the other a promoted Div 2 team with most Rovers' fans struggling to name even one Donny player.

Think we'd struggle to win a Sunday league game at Pleasington according to some on here.

Just now, Mercer said:

What's the problem?

There should be an enormous chasm between the two teams - one a relegated Championship team still able to field the likes of Mulgrew, Graham etc and the other a promoted Div 2 team with most Rovers' fans struggling to name even one Donny player.

Think we'd struggle to win a Sunday league game at Pleasington according to some on here.

The problem is the boundless optimism at a level that would make Tigger blush.

The problem is that there should have been a chasm between us and Southend and even Coventry.

The problem is that our big players are made of glass or sulking.

The problem is that you KEEP predicting good things then disappearing when it goes wrong.

I want us to beat Donny. I wanted us to beat Southend. I want us to win every game atvthis level.

I want you to stop gushing just for the sake of playing this panto hero that you seem to have painted yourself as.

Your predictions continue to jinx us. Your continued faux-optimism continues to goad. Those who were concerned about relegation last season were given similar short shrift to your last sentence - and look where we are. Pleasington indeed!

Just tone it down a bit.

Or, like I said:

FFS

IMG_6693.JPG

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Jesus Christ. Mods, you've let us down.

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think I will have a dabble at that.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

The problem is the boundless optimism at a level that would make Tigger blush.

The problem is that there should have been a chasm between us and Southend and even Coventry.

The problem is that our big players are made of glass or sulking.

The problem is that you KEEP predicting good things then disappearing when it goes wrong.

I want us to beat Donny. I wanted us to beat Southend. I want us to win every game atvthis level.

I want you to stop gushing just for the sake of playing this panto hero that you seem to have painted yourself as.

Your predictions continue to jinx us. Your continued faux-optimism continues to goad. Those who were concerned about relegation last season were given similar short shrift to your last sentence - and look where we are. Pleasington indeed!

Just tone it down a bit.

Or, like I said:

FFS

IMG_6693.JPG

No such thing as a jinx.

If folk really think my predictions influence Rovers' results then they need to see a doctor.

4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

It's good we now have options upfront on the bench. 

Any idea how long Lenihan is out for? 

Dont know. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why 3 centre backs at home? Especially when youve had to shoehorn Nyambe there. Makes no sense and seems like playing a formation for the sake of it.

Ward cant play in a 2 man defence. Not quickly and would be exposed. Mowbray said this last season. Plus will Lenihan and Wharton out injured. Plus Ward experience is need at the minute

Dropping 3 main players? Graham, Whittingham and Dack? Poor at Southend. 

Samuel, Gladwin, Evans and Smallwood all had good games in last game. Mark Atkins was very impressed by Smallwood at Coventry. 

So thats why. 3-4-2-1 is a attacking formation. 

7 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

but, but "Happy Days are round the corner". FFS!

Yep, I think they are.

We were c r @ p last Saturday, however, I think Mowbray has made some decent signings for this level.

TM needs to keep it simple - 442 or 433 - instead of all the weird and not so wonderful formations he comes up with.  If he keeps it simple, I still think we'll storm this league.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yep, I think they are.

We were c r @ p last Saturday, however, I think Mowbray has made some decent signings for this level.

TM needs to keep it simple - 442 or 433 - instead of all the weird and not so wonderful formations he comes up with.  If he keeps it simple, I still think we'll storm this league.

Come on Mercer you can do better than that. It's Friday night :P

I think we are going to walk all over the Don. 3-0.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Smallwood was really poor at Southend, constantly losing the ball, Evans also played well v Coventry from what i've read and Whittingham is our main summer signing and we need his set pieces and passing, especially at home.

And for me, Conway is better than the alternatives and is a proven player. 

And Samuel was even worse than Graham v Southend and lacks a proven record that Graham has.

I'd wager that Nyambe will play where Chaddy said he would, Mowbray seems to like him there (I don't), that's hardly 'shoehorning' him in. I think the team that Chaddy picked will be the team Mowbray will pick. We've been pretty successful under Mowbray with the 3 at the back formation so I think we should stick with it.

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Yep, I think they are.

I sincerely hope you're right but too many ifs at this point for me.

If we had a nasty, no nonsense centre half, if we had a strong leader on the park, if we had an option up top who could hold the ball up, if we had a team ethic that could mix it with the worst that this league can throw at us, if Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham go nowhere, if we could dominate a game from start to finish consistently.........

we'd p1ss this league but the jury is still out for me, not withstanding what the idiots that own us could further lumber us with.

I don't have your confidence and understand Stuart totally.

However, COYB!

• Backroom

Wouldn't like to predict it, we should win comfortably but that means nothing.

They'll be up for it; we need to make sure we are, no thinking we can just turn up and win.

A loss would be a pretty catastrophic start to the season 

Archived