BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford away Tuesday

jim mk2

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has TM finally seen sense? Basically kept the same winning team without too much tinkering and had us get at them from the get go. Look what happens when you do that TM, we had the game literally out of sight within 20 minutes. We have said this all season, go at them and let teams worry about us as not many will be able to cope. Stop worrying about them. This was away at a team in 7th, so a good result and if TM has learned his lesson and does this for the rest of the season we are in with a shout. I win a on Saturday and things could be looking very different indeed.

Unfortunately...I am still not confident and am always going to be nervous about the lineup for every new game coming up.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good win today and how RVBlue can moan about an away 4-2 win is truely pathetic and so sad to read. Is he on the wind up?

Fair play to Mowbray and Players for tonight win. 

Sad that on a good night some are resorting to insults and point scoring. Especially those who have played the victim in the past yet like to live by the sword.

A very good win and could have easily been another one of those games where we didn't turn up. Please keep this line up Tony and don't tinker.

Need to beat Bristol to gain serious ground now.

Hopefully Venkys strengthen our challenge for the top two in Jan if this continues.

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.yellowsforum.co.uk/thread/26641/21-2017-oufc-blackburn-rovers?page=3

"Sitting in the East Stand. Could have been 5-0.... shocking. Thinking of slipping out and going to see Paddington at the Vue!"

:lol::lol:

Yeah, but, but, but, if he'd have missed those 5 goals he'd have seen that Rovers were pathetic.

Coming out of the ground I didn't see or speak to anybody as morose as some on here. We won 4-2 away from home against a team who at kick off were one place below us. I saw several 'must win' quotes in the previews and we did. It wasn't perfect, there will (hopefully) be lots to see on the DVD that Mowbray will show the players for the purposes of improving us.

I have been annoyed with Mowbray this season but when we win it's difficult to be too critical because winning is the name of the game. Some of the criticism is personal and it seems to be from some for who winning doesn't suit their agenda because of their dislike of Mowbray. Swallow your pride and enjoy scoring four away from home for the first time in years.

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Coming out of the ground I didn't see or speak to anybody as morose as some on here. We won 4-2 away from home against a team who at kick off were one place below us. I saw several 'must win' quotes in the previews and we did. It wasn't perfect, there will (hopefully) be lots to see on the DVD that Mowbray will show the players for the purposes of improving us.

I have been annoyed with Mowbray this season but when we win it's difficult to be too critical because winning is the name of the game. Some of the criticism is personal and it seems to be from some for who winning doesn't suit their agenda because of their dislike of Mowbray. Swallow your pride and enjoy scoring four away from home for the first time in years.

That's probably because those that go to Oxford on a Tuesday night are Parsonesque. I didn't criticise us at Bury, I didn't criticise us against Portsmouth, I didn't criticise us against Rotherham, I criticised them last night because they deserved criticising, it is nothing to do with pride. Mowbray showed last night why he won't take us up, he's just not bright enough, playing 3 up front when winning maximises the chances of us cocking that game up. I'd say we went from a 5% chance of drawing to a 20% chance of drawing, just because we didn't draw doesn't mean that Mowbray should get away with it.

Just now, RV Blue said:

That's probably because those that go to Oxford on a Tuesday night are Parsonesque. I didn't criticise us at Bury, I didn't criticise us against Portsmouth, I didn't criticise us against Rotherham, I criticised them last night because they deserved criticising, it is nothing to do with pride. Mowbray showed last night why he won't take us up, he's just not bright enough, playing 3 up front when winning maximises the chances of us cocking that game up. I'd say we went from a 5% chance of drawing to a 20% chance of drawing, just because we didn't draw doesn't mean that Mowbray should get away with it.

You werent there so how do you know? 

Didnt Samuel played wide left? 

Yoi criticised Mowbray after 4-2 away win? Really? Should hang your head in shame within all fairness

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

You werent there so how do you know? 

Didnt Samuel played wide left? 

Yoi criticised Mowbray after 4-2 away win? Really? Should hang your head in shame within all fairness

You are without doubt the most abusive and obtuse poster on this site.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Sums it up perfectly.

I'm always thrilled when Rovers win, especially when we win by a good score as we did last night. I'm also always looking for us to be improving game on game. From a goalscoring point of view we seem to be doing well now in spite of losing Chapman. Dack has stepped up to the plate and is now looking to be the influential player we hoped he would be. 

I didn't watch or listen to the game apart from the highlights so I'm going mainly off the comments on here.  I would have liked to have heard that we comfortably played the game out. Not always easy I know when you're 3-0 up so soon. I don't think the subs appear to have helped us in this respect.

from some for who winning doesn't suit their agenda because of their dislike of Mowbray. Swallow your pride and enjoy scoring four away from home for the first time in years.

Get that man a pint. I’ve never seen a weaker argument on this website, but I’ve seen many talk the same crap because they’ve painted themselves into a corner.

Although Oxford have problems with their home form, that was a great result - away to the team just two points behind us in the league, and I thought we put them to the sword ruthlessly in the first half.

Notching 3 early on put the game to bed in reality, although it's not unlike Rovers to still make use nervous, even with a two-goal cushion! The second half saw us under some pressure, but aside from two classy finishes from them, they were never really a threat. A shame that two goals conceded just takes the shine off an otherwise comfortable victory.

I thought Mulgrew was our MotM. He always stands up to be counted, and is a real leader with experience and class. Also, another mention for Antonsson, bagging yet another goal in what looks like his best position as a wide left forward. He can be a bit lightweight, but it doesn't matter if his main job is to get down the left, attack, and poach. Formations are just numbers, but if we're going to call it 4-5-1, who cares? It seems to work when the starting XI is settled, so keep it as-is. Dack was also excellent, yet again. What a nuisance he is to the opposition.

Evans looked well off the boil, and clearly isn't match-ready. I'm not surprised he was taken off at half time (not sure if that was through injury or a poor performance).

Other than that, onward and upwards. Are things starting to click?

I think the criticism of Tony Mowbray last night was the idea to put 3 strikers on when we should have been remaining solid and seeing the game out. It allowed them to gain a footing in the game and as seen by the 2nd half we struggled to impose ourselves as we did in the first. Granted you would expect a team of Oxford's standing to come back at you but equally we should have been up to managing that game.

I don't think the criticism is unfair, if slightly over exaggerated.

Overall it was a good performance, no questions about it, but there is definitely scope for improvement which, if you think about it, is a good thing for us. If we can see that there are improvements to be made in a game where we won 4-2 to promotion contenders then we are starting to take shape.

Quite why Tony Mowbray decided to see the game out with 3 substitutions is beyond me. I believe that it is because a lack of depth and a lack of trust in putting youth in. There's no other reason to as why we ended that game with Graham, Samuel & Nuttall on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm always thrilled when Rovers win, especially when we win by a good score as we did last night. I'm also always looking for us to be improving game on game. From a goalscoring point of view we seem to be doing well now in spite of losing Chapman. Dack has stepped up to the plate and is now looking to be the influential player we hoped he would be. 

I didn't watch or listen to the game apart from the highlights so I'm going mainly off the comments on here.  I would have liked to have heard that we comfortably played the game out. Not always easy I know when you're 3-0 up so soon. I do't think the subs appear to have helped us in this respect.

Exactly this Tyrone. The substitutions gave them a footing. The first half hour we were terrific and applied pressure much like we did versus Rotherham. Mulgrew & Downing seem solid together too.

I don't think it was Smallwood's best game in a Rovers shirt and is perhaps reason to why they got 2. That said the Oxford fan is right in saying we could have had more first half

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think the criticism of Tony Mowbray last night was the idea to put 3 strikers on when we should have been remaining solid and seeing the game out. It allowed them to gain a footing in the game and as seen by the 2nd half we struggled to impose ourselves as we did in the first. Granted you would expect a team of Oxford's standing to come back at you but equally we should have been up to managing that game.

I don't think the criticism is unfair, if slightly over exaggerated.

Overall it was a good performance, no questions about it, but there is definitely scope for improvement which, if you think about it, is a good thing for us. If we can see that there are improvements to be made in a game where we won 4-2 to promotion contenders then we are starting to take shape.

Quite why Tony Mowbray decided to see the game out with 3 substitutions is beyond me. I believe that it is because a lack of depth and a lack of trust in putting youth in. There's no other reason to as why we ended that game with Graham, Samuel & Nuttall on the pitch.

Exactly this Tyrone. The substitutions gave them a footing. The first half hour we were terrific and applied pressure much like we did versus Rotherham. Mulgrew & Downing seem solid together too.

I don't think it was Smallwood's best game in a Rovers shirt and is perhaps reason to why they got 2. That said the Oxford fan is right in saying we could have had more first half

Smallwood is a key player for us. He does a lot of  unseen work off the ball. I suppose he's entitled to the odd game were he's not at his best.

As I said earlier, looking at the highlights, we didn't seem to be busting a gut to get back behind the ball for their second goal. I know we were 4-1 up at the time but promotion winning teams have the mentality to give everything for 90 minutes.

10 hours ago, neophox said:

Saw the game and cant say Evans was playing well... Harper need games but probably Whitts back for saturday...Happy for Nuttall as he is a confidence Guy !!

same here, I thought Evans seem to have gone off the boil abit since some matches back. Harper looked decent and quite ok-solid when he came on, 18 years old is he?

Some of the criticism is personal and it seems to be from some for who winning doesn't suit their agenda because of their dislike of Mowbray. Swallow your pride and enjoy scoring four away from home for the first time in years.

Spot on. Along with the endless circular analysis of players, substitutions etc. making much of the thread very repetitive.

Personally I’ve given up on thoughts of promotion as I feel the manager and team are too inconsistent to achieve this but I’m still pleased we won.

Unlike earlier in the season I don’t expect a win on Saturday which is a direct result of the appalling performance from manager and team against Barnet. 

28 minutes ago, Biz said:

Get that man a pint. I’ve never seen a weaker argument on this website, but I’ve seen many talk the same crap because they’ve painted themselves into a corner.

That looks a bit like you're accusing Arbitro of having a 'weak argument' which I'm pretty sure wasn't your intention.

Archived