BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford away Tuesday

jim mk2

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Frankly, I find it astonishing that anyone can be astonished at some  loyal supporters boycotting the Venky regime

I have met a large number of boycotters/season ticket with-holders etc and it is clear that they are some of the most loyal, passionate Rovers fans I have met in over 40 years.

I was always there too, but our whole family drew a difficult conclusion that this was a totally new situation. You may disagree, but astonishment is more than ridiculous...

I'm astonished that you're astonished that I'm astonished.  This is fun, isn't it?

It's not ridiculous either. Loyalty comes in alot of forms. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • J*B unpinned this topic
13 minutes ago, Boaty said:

Venkys are a convenient excuse for the majority of people

I think you need to get your tin hat on for that one :wacko:

Not sure where to start to be honest, so I won't bother.

4 minutes ago, toogs said:

I think you need to get your tin hat on for that one :wacko:

Not sure where to start to be honest, so I won't bother.

Tin hat not required. In the (unlikely) event we get promoted to the prem the crowds will be back above 20k with or without venkys.

39 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I find it astonishing that anyone would boycott a match based on their dislike of a here-today, gone-tomorrow manager (or owners).  We support a team in blue and white halved shirts, and were supporting it long before they arrived and will be doing so long after they have gone. "Where we you when you were s**** opposition fans sang at us in our 1995 glory days." My answer was I was always here, and still am. 

If that's directed at my earlier comment, I'm not boycotting anything, I'm just not enthusiastic about Mowbray so I wouldn't spend £x to get there and book a couple of days off work. Under a manager like Hughes, for example, I might be tempted. I still go to home matches and easy to get to away matches. Those that do spend x amount to get to Oxford on a Tuesday are probably more enthusiastic about the current state of affairs than I am.

25 minutes ago, Boaty said:

Tin hat not required. In the (unlikely) event we get promoted to the prem the crowds will be back above 20k with or without venkys.

Not if you don't count the visiting fans they won't them days is gone whilst this lot remain. 14-17k home regulars i'd say unless there was some very imaginative ticket pricing.

38 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Whilst RV is very wrong in his assessment of those that travel to games (I, for one, have been extremely critical of Tony Mowbray and went last night) it can be said that some posts on here may purposefully mislead posters like him. If you read chaddy's posts he constantly states that he never hears any criticism of Mowbray, or the performance, by those that attend games and, in his eyes, there's no discontent by the fans that actually attend. This is a blatant lie but contributes to the false idea that those that attend are happy no matter what. I can only assume that lies like that contributed to the wrongful categorisation as attendees as "parsonesque". The reality is very different.

Let's hope that x-factor is a winger! We can't continue putting Samuel on out there: he's a centre forward.

I agree, we need a wide player with some real pace and an eye for goal. We can't rely on Chapman getting back to full fitness any time soon. That's a bad injury for someone who rely's on bursts of pace.

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Yes you were abusive, you told him he 'should hang his head in shame' for suggesting a 4-2 win could've been even better. I took his general tone as arguing that we cannot get through a season relying on blowing the oppo away in 30mins and need to compete better across the whole 90.

It's a complete overreaction on your part, while you offered nothing in reply to him that constructively argued his points.

For the record, I could understand where was coming from (having essentially watched a '2-1 defeat' after missing the first 30min flurry), but thought his dig at Parson was in poor taste.

No abuse was there Mike. Guess it depends on your opinion and mindset. 

If we can blow the opposite away mos of the time in the 1st 30 mins and then the game is won. 

No overreaction on my side just my opinion. 

Just now, tomphil said:

Not if you don't count the visiting fans they won't them days is gone whilst this lot remain. 14-17k home regulars i'd say unless there was some very imaginative ticket pricing.

We've lost 10k to 12k regular fans. At least 5k to 6k of those will never set foot in Ewood again under any circumstances. They are lost to us. The other 5k to 6k may return at some point in the future but on the other hand they may not. We're almost back to where we were in the bad old days but without any sense of direction and leadership.

5 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Of course promotion  is doable we are sitting handily  placed with a game in hand and most of our harder  away games will be out the way by christmas only  peterbourgh from the top 8 will be left to play away in second half of the season.

Err - we're playing Peterborough away in 17 days time, well before Christmas and still in the first half of the season. It's Charlton we won't have played away - it's the last away game of the season and promotion party day.

This place does me head in, so we have someone claiming those who go the game are biased in their views becsuse they.spent money to support their team. Unlike myself, who knows everything and whose opinion can be the only one that is right cos I watched the last 20 minutes on telly.  Kin stoopid. Really is.  Mind numbing.

As the saying goes when you are in a hole quit digging.

38 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Err - we're playing Peterborough away in 17 days time, well before Christmas and still in the first half of the season. It's Charlton we won't have played away - it's the last away game of the season and promotion party day.

And Rovers should pay for travel so we can have the party of all promotion parties

14 minutes ago, USABlue said:

This place does me head in, so we have someone claiming those who go the game are biased in their views becsuse they.spent money to support their team. Unlike myself, who knows everything and whose opinion can be the only one that is right cos I watched the last 20 minutes on telly.  Kin stoopid. Really is.  Mind numbing.

As the saying goes when you are in a hole quit digging.

I've explained why I said that people who go to difficult to get to games are more likely to be enthusiastic about the current state of affairs than those that didn't go, it's hardly a controversial statement. I watched 70 minutes, not 20 minutes, which is an absolutely massive difference and I never claimed that I saw the full game, I said from what I saw it was the worst performance of the season. There doesn't seem to be any on here that saw the game but didn't go to the game.

Also, I don't give a shit if you or anyone thinks I'm in a hole... I gave my opinion on the game and I don't give a shit whether you or anyone else disagrees with it.

18 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I've explained why I said that people who go to difficult to get to games are more likely to be enthusiastic about the current state of affairs than those that didn't go, it's hardly a controversial statement. I watched 70 minutes, not 20 minutes, which is an absolutely massive difference and I never claimed that I saw the full game, I said from what I saw it was the worst performance of the season. There doesn't seem to be any on here that saw the game that didn't go to the game.

Also, I don't give a shit if you or anyone thinks I'm in a hole... I gave my opinion on the game and I don't give a shit wether you or anyone else disagrees with it.

No one likes our present situation. It's awful. And I'm not that keen on Mowbray either; I don't think he deserves to manage our club. But that shouldn't stop people supporting the club, or getting criticism from those who chose not to. I went on Tuesday for 2 reasons - I'd never been to Oxford before, and i want us to get out of this 3rd division hell hole at the first attempt, so the team needs all the support it can get. We had a good following on Tuesday, made alot of noise, and the team responded. But there were still some empty seats around. If a few more people made the effort to attend,  instead of castigating those who do, we might be back in the championship next year. 

31 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I've explained why I said that people who go to difficult to get to games are more likely to be enthusiastic about the current state of affairs than those that didn't go, it's hardly a controversial statement. I watched 70 minutes, not 20 minutes, which is an absolutely massive difference and I never claimed that I saw the full game, I said from what I saw it was the worst performance of the season. There doesn't seem to be any on here that saw the game but didn't go to the game.

Also, I don't give a shit if you or anyone thinks I'm in a hole... I gave my opinion on the game and I don't give a shit whether you or anyone else disagrees with it.

So ..on that score .when say 80 percent of posters attend Rovers at home and comment on the game, their views should be dismissed because of actually being on Ewood and getting caught up in the emotion and hopefully euphoria of a Rovers win whilst some guy in Mongolia  whos watching  on Ifollow.... his views have more credence because he watched maybe 70 mins on his phone ??

How times change ..once upon a time it was the attending fan who went to the actual game shouting down those that didnt ..now we have those who watch 70 mins on a phone or tablet putting down fans who were actually at the game !

6 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

So ..on that score .when say 80 percent of posters attend Rovers at home and comment on the game, their views should be dismissed because of actually being on Ewood and getting caught up in the emotion and hopefully euphoria of a Rovers win whilst some guy in Mongolia  whos watching  on Ifollow.... his views have more credence because he watched maybe 70 mins on his phone ??

If the game was like yesterday where is was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions, yes. Especially those fans sat right in the corner of the ground with a poor view, like most Rovers fans were yesterday. Also, fans that have spent hundreds of quid on getting there are probably just delighted to simply see a win.

19 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

If the game was like yesterday where is was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions, yes. Especially those fans sat right in the corner of the ground with a poor view, like most Rovers fans were yesterday. Also, fans that have spent hundreds of quid on getting there are probably just delighted to simply see a win.

May as well shut the messageboard down after every home game then ..or maybe two threads ..Irrational Match Day Attendee thread and the I See Everything Rational Armchair thread !

No wonder no one attends games anymore eh 

5 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I disagree, we didn't do anything right and the second half was inexplicably panic stations throughout. 

Sir, I cannot believe that nearly 24hours after the game you are continuing to peddle this nonsense. It used to be a sign of a respected academic that he or she admits due to the welter of overwhelming evidence that they are wrong, apologise and move on with their reputation still intact.

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I've explained why I said that people who go to difficult to get to games are more likely to be enthusiastic about the current state of affairs than those that didn't go, it's hardly a controversial statement. 

I've only skimmed through today's post but what I think you are sayIng is that people who go to difficult away games, probably because they enjoy the away game experience, are unlikely to give a true appraisal of how the team played.

Complete rubbish. 

Its like saying that people who went to Ewood under Coyle last season are likely to 'big up' the performances because they are more happy with the current state of affairs.

Not saying the majority are always right (believe me I know that) but this was a 90 minute game. It wasn't something more complex than that even for those who are thinking beyond one game. The performance was good. END.

Only reason this is 18 pages is because of this stupid argument.

45 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I've only skimmed through today's post but what I think you are sayIng is that people who go to difficult away games, probably because they enjoy the away game experience, are unlikely to give a true appraisal of how the team played.

Complete rubbish. 

Its like saying that people who went to Ewood under Coyle last season are likely to 'big up' the performances because they are more happy with the current state of affairs.

Read my posts properly before posting your shite take on what I've been saying.

Archived