BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referee was absolutely appalling today, felt like he was trying to even it up for the rest of the game after not giving the Dack 'foul' before the Bennett goal. 

Should have won, feels like a loss, Mowbray wasn't positive enough for me but I believe Wigan will slip up again with their cup run and if we play like we did in the first half for the rest of the season we will go up automatically. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Doesn't matter how good we are the last 10 games if Shrews win all theirs though.

Yeah and if City lose their remaining 10 games the first 28 won't matter. Hardly likely though is it? Granted that's an over the top comparison but I can't say Shrewsbury are likely to win every single remaining game.

Rovers just need to do whatever they can and forget about what other clubs might do.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bad coordination but I would expect the right back or another defender to clear that first. It was a predictable free. We look so dodgy from set pieces in defence and offer little in attack. On the ground moving at speed we look premier league class at time. Those two goals....

I thought we also played a lot of poor and thoughtless passes especially from our full back positions. Bennett was trying too many long crossfield early on but seemed to curtail that.

Still I was worried Wigan would have a late shot on target and thereby win it so small mercies.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Doesn't matter how good we are the last 10 games if Shrews win all theirs though.

If they win all 12 they deserve to go up. They won't though. Just like we won't win all ours. Plenty of twists and turns yet. Writing off the automatic spots at this stage is nonsense. You're either very drunk or very frustrated. Or both;)

8 minutes ago, fenwindows said:

I understand that but he is not a centre back. Got Lenihan diving in, getting stuck in scaring the shit out of the players then you got Mulgrew arm round them giggling. Hes to nice for a centre back. The main issue is centre mid has been for years as soon as Evans contract runs out the better.

He’d last 1 or 2 games in CM before breaking down, no doubt about it. Travis could be worth a shot alongside Bennett in the middle - you’d like to think he’s learnt from the sending off.

I like his running/ effort but Williams is a weak link, very ordinary player. Smallwood and Evans didn't have enough impact today either and Raya not aggressive enough for both goals. Plus the ref was out of shape and poor - which didn't help!

Still there were plenty of positives, particularly in attack.

Wigan aren't that good and will lose a few games between now and the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think I calculated it to be about a minimum 450/1 that Shrewsbury win every game. Add in the odds of Wigan winning all bar 3 and it's over 1000-1 

It's still too far out to think like that.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Yeah and if City lose their remaining 10 games the first 28 won't matter. Hardly likely though is it? Granted that's an over the top comparison but I can't say Shrewsbury are likely to win every single remaining game.

We're not going to win all ours playing for 45 mins either. We got away with it against Walsall and Wimbledon but  it caught up with us today.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Did the balls have laces in last time you played?

Laces out. 

When the ball is high enough up in the air it's going to hurt unless you head it perfectly. If I was being paid 10,000 a week I would do it no bother, but it does hurt at times! I spent many years heading it on sunday mornings over here!

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If they can win all their remaining games they deserve to go up. I'll like to know what odds you can get for that bet. You been watching football long ?

Yes thanks. As you have as well you'll be aware we won't win all ours either. All Shrews have to do is win their 2 games in hand then match us.

Disappointing but Wigan are up there for a reason. First game I’ve watched this season where the opponents had more than one or two handy players, they were hard with it as well. Exposed our flaws: our lack of a real wide man, a midfield general and hard defenders. Our quality up front has been our strong point all season and Armstrong has added to that. Given we won’t play anyone remotely as good as Wigan rest of season I expect us to go up.

Just now, USABlue said:

Did'nt do too well with 2nd division ines either

I think we need to get in the Premier league quicksmart. Apparently they rarely have to head the ball in that league...the ball is rarely above knee height.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Disappointing but Wigan are up there for a reason. First game I’ve watched this season where the opponents had more than one or two handy players, they were hard with it as well. Exposed our flaws: our lack of a real wide man, a midfield general and hard defenders. Our quality up front has been our strong point all season and Armstrong has added to that. Given we won’t play anyone remotely as good as Wigan rest of season I expect us to go up.

That's about the size of it. They were very committed. I think we have better footballers, but they have more battlers. 

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We're not going to win all ours playing for 45 mins either. We got away with it against Walsall and Wimbledon but  it caught up with us today.

Yeah well thankfully what you can get away with against them isn't the same as Wigan. Anyway in a way Rovers still showed enough to suggest finishing above Wigan isn't a real stretch of expectation. Rovers have never done the straightforward thing even when Dalglish was in charge so never expected to run away with the league. I expected that in 99-2000 and learned my lesson to the extreme!

Bloody hell I know about paranoia but believing Shrewsbury could win all remaining games truly is a doommonger scenario!

Archived