BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oxford Utd at home

28 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not necessarily, however 17% is a fair whack of an increase in one summer, I prefer the analogy of the frog in slowly heated water approach - small incremental  increases.

Its an extra £50 per year. 6.25 pounds per month on the direct debit scheme. 

Is that alot really Matty?

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

0 % increase last season though so in reality it' s 17% over 2 seasons.

Its a good point. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Seventeen per cent is unjustifiable - even over 2 seasons. People's wages have not risen by anything like that much (if at all) and attending football is discretionary spending. In these straitened times and working people still under the thumb of a vindictive government, fans are quite justified is saying no to going down to Ewood. The increase is prices appears to be spectacular own goal by the Rovers management at a time when the club was beginning to win back some fans' goodwill . 

Its an extra 6 pounds per month if you pay by direct debit which isnt alot is it?

If you live within your means and spend sensible then it nothing. 

People still working under the thumb of the government? Well not all people are. I'm not. And many of my friends arent effective by the government. They just get on with life. They are on low income(20k and below) but they manage their finances properly. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Well we paid Championship prices for League 1 football.

They didn't teach common sense at QEGS.

Lovely. Can't beat a bit of inverted snobbery. :)

.......Or obviously not where you went. See my previous reply. Just because the Club made the common sense call to freeze prices last season doesn't mean the fans should expect that every year, nor is it fair to use the fact that the Club made a gesture towards the fans a year ago as a stick to beat them with now.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Were they ? Our next door neighbour went to the match and he didn't knowingly see any posters.

Alot of people don't use social media and the ones that do tend to ignore adverts.

A flier on the other hand is something you keep and put in your pocket - unless you're a litter lout.

Rovers management missed a trick. 

Disagree totally Jim. Dont want fliers handing out. Waste of paper for most people..everybody where I sit was aware of the ST prices and the early bird offer. I seen several posters there

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Its an extra 6 pounds per month if you pay by direct debit which isnt alot is it?

If you live within your means and spend sensible then it nothing. 

People still working under the thumb of the government? Well not all people are. I'm not. And many of my friends arent effective by the government. They just get on with life. They are on low income(20k and below) but they manage their finances properly. 

An extra £6 is make or break for many people when you're on low wages, zero hours contracts or your family finances are stretched.

We're all affected by government actions - fact of life.  

Its an extra £50 per year. 6.25 pounds per month on the direct debit scheme. 

Is that alot really Matty?

Depends on each fan’s personal circumstances, no?

The fact is it’s a 17% increase, far outstripping inflation and wage increases.

Disagree totally Jim. Dont want fliers handing out. Waste of paper for most people..everybody where I sit was aware of the ST prices and the early bird offer. I seen several posters there

Fliers are a very effective form of advertising. 

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Stadium will be more than half empty again next season.

I think you are absolutely correct. For me Rovers have missed a massive opportunity to cash in on the euphoria around our area at the moment. I spoke to several people over the last couple of days who will told me they were considering buying a season ticket but after seeing the inflation busting increase will now not.

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I'm with you here, Chaddy. Fliers would simply have littered the area around the ground. There were posters up, it was on the screen and announced countless times 9ver the PA system. But then some folks will still claim they don't know, because some can't be bothered to listen 

I'm deaf and I heard them, so nobody can be excused.

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

Actually yesterday was the first time I've been impressed by Nyambe. Admittedly I hadn't seen him for a couple of seasons but yesterday i saw what people have been telling me is in there somewhere

At fault for Oxford goal I thought.

The Darwen End was more like a Bank Holiday beer garden with a football match going on in the background.  Too many extremely drunk, low-level scores, many wth children.  Luckily for the parents social services has been cut back so much, that they've no need to worry.  

Just now, arbitro said:

I think you are absolutely correct. For me Rovers have missed a massive opportunity to cash in on the euphoria around our area at the moment. I spoke to several people over the last couple of days who will told me they were considering buying a season ticket but after seeing the inflation busting increase will now not.

I have to say imo that anyone saying that never had any real intention of going but is hiding behind the relatively modest price increase as an excuse. As I mentioned on the other thread the sales numbers will be the litmus test.

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

My choice is spending more to attend a half empty Ewood (the players rapport with the fans was never as good at Ewood as away this season) or go on the road again.

Hmm? Decision made.

Lost opportunity by BRFC.

So you'd rather put money into the coffers of another Club than BRFC? It's your choice entirely but Don't then come on here moaning if Dack is sold.

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

The Darwen End was more like a Bank Holiday beer garden with a football match going on in the background.  Too many extremely drunk, low-level scores, many wth children.  Luckily for the parents social services has been cut back so much, that they've no need to worry.  

Blackburn is a very poor working class town in the North of England, its inhabitants make the most of what they've got. Give them cheap tickets to watch the local football team celebrate promotion, a sunny day and a few beers they'll bloody well enjoy enjoy themselves.

The snobbery on here from some is a bloody disgrace, you support Blackburn Rovers and everything that comes with it, if you don't like it sod off elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

17% hike over 2 years is indefensible whichever school you went to.

Steve Waggott will learn as John Williams did.

Especially when one of those years was a relegation (Venkys second). The club missed a chance to reward loyal fans who have put up with some real shit this last few years.

The trouble is (business head on) the gap would be one too large to ever even itself our without a massive future hike.

It’s a thorny one and I can understand the club increasing prices through necessity. My gripe is how much more expensive they are than Fulham. How can Blackburners be paying (on East Lancs wages) more than London prices - even with parachute payments. That’s not right.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I have to say imo that anyone saying that never had any real intention of going but is hiding behind the relatively modest price increase as an excuse. As I mentioned on the other thread the sales numbers will be the litmus test.

The employees at the company I worked at for 36 years (I retired in 2015) hadn't had a pay rise for several years. With inflation over that period it was in effect something like a 12% decrease in wages. And there are lots of hard working people in the same position in East Lancashire. I don't know what you do for a living but if you have had a 17% salary increase over the last two years good luck to you.

As I said earlier in my opinion there is no justification for it.

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

You're missing my point Simon, it's about affordability.

Bradford City are the shining light in pricing for low income mixed race towns. Biggest League 1 attendance before yesterday.

Surely a season on the road making a day out of it and having a few beers etc is way more expensive than the Ewood equivalent?

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

17% over two seasons is not modest.

Yes but you can manipulate figures to look like anything to suit your argument. If the original price had been say £200 the increase would have been 75% which looks even worse but you'd still only be paying the same £350. If the original price was £800 the percentage increase would only be a reasonable looking 6 and a bit per cent but you'd still be paying the same  £50 p.a. more.

A season ticket has gone up £50 over 2 years. It's barely the cost of a good night out these days.

Just now, arbitro said:

The employees at the company I worked at for 36 years (I retired in 2015) hadn't had a pay rise for several years. With inflation over that period it was in effect something like a 12% decrease in wages. And there are lots of hard working people in the same position in East Lancashire. I don't know what you do for a living but if you have had a 17% salary increase over the last two years good luck to you.

As I said earlier in my opinion there is no justification for it.

Still charging the same for my services as in 2008 sadly!  Unfortunately if you go for a meal in a restaurant/takeaway/ or a few beers in a Pub they most certainly are not so I'm not sure why Rovers should be the exception.

14 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Their season ticket pricing is very low comparably, similar to Rovers when John Williams made ours cheapest in the league. Take back Ewood was it called?

I thought at the time that initiative was not quite the magnanimous gesture it was put forward as. We weren’t getting our fair share of televised home games, partially because of acres of empty seats. Filling those seats at whatever the discount would more than pay for itself in increased tv revenue, bigger crowds would spur the team on, generating more tv games.

Now we don’t have the tv factor to anything like the same degree, the cheap as chips rationale falls apart, and we are back to a more usual price elasticity equation: putting the prices up 15% most likely won’t reduce attendances from current levels by 15%, especially given playing a level up. Plus of course the chance to scalp the much bigger away followings we can expect next season.

Archived