BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Some points about FUP made here. I'm sure UEFA will be trying to find something to moan about. ?

Maybe next year when he sells it back to the club for a tenner, before buying it again for another 80 million

Edited by perthblue02

On 01/04/2019 at 12:31, DE. said:

A good point, along with the old chestnut "they wouldn't employ anybody better" - which may be true, but isn't exactly a rousing endorsement. If the team is regressing at the rate we are at present (we've been in relegation form 4 of the last 5 months!) then it's either roll the dice or prepare to be relegated again. I can't think of many situations where a manager has presided over this kind of slump and ultimately made a success of things. It's certainly never happened in Mowbray's career, which most of his advocates seem to be conveniently ignoring! "He'll get it right this time" - when all evidence points to him not learning from his mistakes and digging his heels in. 

In agreement DE - worth a roll of said dice for me. Since my last post I’ve seen a new take on our slide....‘Talk of Ewood’ with a few thousand followers on Twitter has been preaching that it’s down to ‘a freak injury crisis that proved so costly’. Jesus wept. 

I reckon a humbling defeat by Bolton will get a few more to turn but the sheep will continue to back him far past the summer. It’ll be ‘give it 10 games’, then ‘let’s see where we are at christmas’ to ‘give him the January window FFS’. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

In agreement DE - worth a roll of said dice for me. Since my last post I’ve seen a new take on our slide....‘Talk of Ewood’ with a few thousand followers on Twitter has been preaching that it’s down to ‘a freak injury crisis that proved so costly’. Jesus wept. 

I think @Biz mentioned something about defensive injuries in the last couple of months in another thread, but we conceded 20 goals in Nov/Dec compared to 21 in Feb/Mar, so we're conceding roughly the same amount of goals irrespective of injuries. We had a January transfer window to prepare ourselves defensively and instead further weakened the team by inexplicably letting Downing go out on loan. Tony has got it massively, massively wrong as far as defence is concerned and (imo) faces a pretty big task in the summer to turn this ship on the correct course - especially taking his limitations and biases into account. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I think @Biz mentioned something about defensive injuries in the last couple of months in another thread, but we conceded 20 goals in Nov/Dec compared to 21 in Feb/Mar, so we're conceding roughly the same amount of goals irrespective of injuries. We had a January transfer window to prepare ourselves defensively and instead further weakened the team by inexplicably letting Downing go out on loan. Tony has got it massively, massively wrong as far as defence is concerned and (imo) faces a pretty big task in the summer to turn this ship on the correct course - especially taking his limitations and biases into account. 

Yep bang on. The argument is flawed for a number of reasons: relying on the ever injury prone Mulgrew & Rodwell (Lenihan’s had his fair share of injuries considering his age too), letting the only guy bar Leninan who likes a header go, not bringing in a replacement. That’s all just rotten luck is it? I too just don’t think he has the network or nous to bring in what’s required over the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE. said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17382796.mowbray-on-whether-rovers-will-add-a-defender-in-january/

Certainly a big mistake letting him go but the silver lining is Tyler has been given opportunities to build his experience.

As for the Nov/Dec comparison with last month - another period of poor form undisputededly, but I think it’s an fair point we probably would’ve done better recently had full defence been available. Especially in games like Reading, Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday.

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17382796.mowbray-on-whether-rovers-will-add-a-defender-in-january/

Certainly a big mistake letting him go but the silver lining is Tyler has been given opportunities to build his experience.

As for the Nov/Dec comparison with last month - another period of poor form undisputededly, but I think it’s an fair point we probably would’ve done better recently had full defence been available. Especially in games like Reading, Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday.

We desperately need to sort out our weak away mentality. We've conceded 44 away from home! That's a shocking amount. The next closest is Wigan who have conceded 38. Even Ipswich have only conceded 37.

Comparatively at home we've only conceded 18, which is pretty good, so Mowbray desperately needs to figure out why our defence goes to shit away from home. Is it tactics? Mentality? Personnel selection? Some combination of all of those things? Whatever it is, it needs to be identified and solved because 44 away goals conceded is completely unacceptable. Interestingly though we have only failed to score in 10% of our away matches, compared to 32% at home (dat half time 0-0 at Ewood), so if we did manage to sort out our away defensive issues and kept our home form going strong we could become genuine contenders for a playoff place. 

Just now, DE. said:

We desperately need to sort out our weak away mentality. We've conceded 44 away from home! That's a shocking amount. The next closest is Wigan who have conceded 38. Even Ipswich have only conceded 37.

Comparatively at home we've only conceded 18, which is pretty good, so Mowbray desperately needs to figure out why our defence goes to shit away from home. Is it tactics? Mentality? Personnel selection? Some combination of all of those things? Whatever it is, it needs to be identified and solved because 44 away goals conceded is completely unacceptable. Interestingly though we have only failed to score in 10% of our away matches, compared to 32% at home (dat half time 0-0 at Ewood), so if we did manage to sort out our away defensive issues and kept our home form going strong we could become genuine contenders for a playoff place. 

I agree - I highlighted the part especially, I mean we’ve conceded all types of soft goals this season from defensive / GK clangers, last minute chaos, set pieces galore, and Ofcourse the individual errors, switching off and giving the ball away in our own half.

Thats at home too - although I take your point that the record away is far worse. Perhaps things to add to your list, better quality opposition, lack of depth in key defensive areas, many inexperienced at this level and a lack of sheer grit/anger/nastiness throughout.

Another key aspect I agree - I don’t think we’re far off. I think the improvements need to come but I don’t think we are behind (or that far at least) where we should be.

Is see the Wanderers have had yet another slice of erm...'luck' to enable them to hobble over the finish line without a points deduction / being wound up... 

Pathetic!

I hope their player strike has the desired effect!

In terms of our lot, we could learn a lot from the Tykes.. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/apr/03/barnsley-football-league-tightest-defence-pinnock-lindsay-championship 

Edited by WIR Second Coming
new info

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ridiculous how many concessions are being made for Bolton

Bet they stay up as well

As of the end of the month I'm stopping paying my tax because I need the money for other things. Wonder how far I'll get with that.

Not that I particularly want to see them shut down but it just shows that there is no consistency. One rule for some another for everyone else.

Chance after chance after chance with no repercussions for serial offenders.

We now live in an age where spending a few quid (Birmingham) attracts a points deduction whilst winding up petitions, not paying wages and not being able to host games and Bolton are able to carry on without any sanctions. Meanwhile Derby are selling their stadium to a separate company to raise cash to avoid FFP trouble. So much for protecting clubs from risk!

• Backroom

They’ve paid the staff now so the game will be on as usual at weekend and again no punishments for the club

Really really hope they go down 

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me understand why either John Williams or Dave Richards would agree to become involved at Bolton with Bassini. It seems more likely Bassini has 'used' their names to try and add respectability to his 'bid' to buy Bolton as they are highly respected football administrators. Given both must be well into their 70s and have many years of experience running Premier League clubs or governing bodies I just cannot fathom why either would eat into their retirements to return to club involvement at what will almost certainly be a League One club next season together with a man like Bassini who has at best a patchy background.

It seems nonsense, yet audacious from Bassini to claim they had agreed to join him.

If there is truth to it then you would expect whoever is buying Bolton to have some serious cash behind them, but then Bassini has been bankrupt twice recently, so the money must be coming from elsewhere and why would a rich buyer kick off by having Bassini as the front man? Surely better having someone with a better reputation fronting the takeover.

All very strange.

In the meantime I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Bolton clamber out of this. 5 points from safety at this point is not insurmountable. They are due to play Ipswich and free falling Middlesbrough in the next 2 games, and then come to Ewood, and lets be honest who would back us against a side fighting for their lives after what we saw at Reading and Rotherham. In some ways their difficulties off the pitch have taken the spotlight away from the players and manager which might lift some pressure and help them.

If anyone should be deducted points this season it should be Bolton. If I were a Rotherham or Millwall fan I'd be fuming that they're still able to survive after what has happened this season. Simply unacceptable that a club can sign players under false pretences, be sued by another club, not pay wages and even risk matches not being played yet are able to compete for safety along with clubs that pay their bills.

• Like 2