BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

22 hours ago, DE. said:

Lambert now starting to make all too familiar noises about potentially not being at Ipswich next season. Sounds very similar to what he started coming out with before he decided to leave here.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-boss-paul-lambert-bbc-suffolk-interview-1-5968957

Not a single one of those answers gives the impression he will be there next season.

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

Not a single one of those answers gives the impression he will be there next season.

Some suggestions around here that Ipswich might have a new owner once this season is done. If so and he's been told as such then I suppose his answers make a bit more sense. 

• Backroom

Losing to Bolton at home is pretty damning in fairness. We've got Bolton at home on 22/04 and if we lost that one I'd think even the usual culprits would struggle to play devil's advocate as far as Mowbray's competence is concerned. 

• Moderation Lead

The way we are going at the moment, I can't see us beating Bolton. In theory it would have been incredibly satisfying to do so and potentially relegate them as well.....

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DE. said:

Losing to Bolton at home is pretty damning in fairness. We've got Bolton at home on 22/04 and if we lost that one I'd think even the usual culprits would struggle to play devil's advocate as far as Mowbray's competence is concerned. 

I wouldn’t be so sure. Honestly there are so, so many blinkered fools on Facebook, Twitter and the LET. We could lose every game between now and season end (probably won’t be far off in reality) and some folk would still be saying ‘give him the window to sort it out FFS’.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Honestly there are so, so many blinkered fools on Facebook, Twitter and the LET. We could lose every game between now and season end (probably won’t be far off in reality) and some folk would still be saying ‘give him the window to sort it out FFS’.

A good point, along with the old chestnut "they wouldn't employ anybody better" - which may be true, but isn't exactly a rousing endorsement. If the team is regressing at the rate we are at present (we've been in relegation form 4 of the last 5 months!) then it's either roll the dice or prepare to be relegated again. I can't think of many situations where a manager has presided over this kind of slump and ultimately made a success of things. It's certainly never happened in Mowbray's career, which most of his advocates seem to be conveniently ignoring! "He'll get it right this time" - when all evidence points to him not learning from his mistakes and digging his heels in. 

• Like 2

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Back to watching homes under the hammer with Casper and the fat lass then. All of us could see Steve being a massive failure yet he still gets a job.

He'll get a gig on Sky for a period and then another club will fall for his flannel. He'll get a decent contract, get sacked after less than a year and walk out of the door with lots of money.

Rinse and repeat.

That isn't particular to McLaren through as lots of ' managers' are on this round-a-bout.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Bolton players refusing to train. Don't know why they waited until Lowe was injured.

Meh, just an excuse for a couple of days off. If they really wanted to make a statement they'd refuse to play. What are they going to be threatened with, termination of a contract they aren't being paid for?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray and McClaren on similar runs. Mowbray can count himself lucky that we have disinterested owners and a boardroom with his old Coventry pal in it. 

I made a point a couple of weeks ago, people were up in arms about the ‘knee jerk’ reactions but there isn’t a club in the land where the manager wouldn’t come under scrutiny after the run we’ve been on.

Seems the consequences are more real elsewhere 

• Like 4

Is anyone looking forward to a trip down to Luton next season (as is looking very likely)?

It must have been a while since we played them in the league. As I recall they were always in a division above us and when Speedo Speedie finally helped to send us up to the new and amazing Premier League Luton were relegated into the obscurity of the 2nd tier.

If you'd have said we would be playing a 2019 league game against Luton a couple of years back I would have been worried that it would be in the 4th tier.

Just now, Husky said:

Is anyone looking forward to a trip down to Luton next season (as is looking very likely)?

It must have been a while since we played them in the league. As I recall they were always in a division above us and when Speedo Speedie finally helped to send us up to the new and amazing Premier League Luton were relegated into the obscurity of the 2nd tier.

If you'd have said we would be playing a 2019 league game against Luton a couple of years back I would have been worried that it would be in the 4th tier.

Its a better story than a Sunderland, Portsmouth or Charlton getting up and I'd sooner have them in the Championship than those. Never been to Luton with Rovers, but went on watching Accy Stanley a few years ago on an international weekend. That ground isn't up to Championship standards but they've got permission to build a new one in the town centre. A bit like Brighton their attendances will probably rocket due to having a new stadium and an upwardly mobile team.

Just now, Husky said:

Hell of a 5 years for Luton, whew.