BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, briansol said:

“The first window I did with Tony, they gave us an exceptional transfer budget. We didn’t use it all because we brought in the players that we needed.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/steve-waggott-qa-part-two/

Another bizarre comment from Waggott. He must be referring to the January window when we signed Armstrong and Payne on loan and Bell from Fleetwood who only had 5 months left on his contract.

If we had an 'exceptional' transfer budget yet chose to only spend a fraction of it on 1 permanent addition and 2 loans then that suggests a considerable sum of money wasn't spent and ought to have trickled into the summer pot.

Presumably he would argue that the loan signings of Armstrong and Payne cost a considerable sum of money, yet I'm not sure I believe that to be true. Payne was on loan at Oxford prior to coming here and has since gone to Bradford, both League One clubs who aren't exactly flush with money, and Armstrong has been on loan at Bolton and Coventry recently, another 2 who aren't known for chucking money around. My point being that whilst they were decent additions to the squad I'm not sure it required an 'exceptional' budget to bring them in.

I sincerely hope that Waggott doesn't trot out similar comments in August if the window shuts and we don't get some serious business done.

Very easy and cheap to talk about spending and having good budgets, very different to sign off the cheques and get the business done.

42 minutes ago, briansol said:

You are totally right, it wasn't Mowbray.

It was Waggott being naive after India:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/steve-waggott-qa-part-three/

Thanks mate.Id searched the lancs telegraph website for Mowbray's comment to no avail. 

Bit of a silly comment by Waggot was never going to be easy getting players in pre Austria 

Just now, JHRover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/june/tony-transfer-dealings-bubbling-away-nicely/

8th June - things progressing on a daily basis, pretty sure activity will increase over the next few weeks

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/june/tonys-transfer-update/

28th June - lots going on, ideally we sign as many as we can to build the club (rather than loans), we're getting closer to signing more players.

Those sort of comments, made 4-6 weeks ago, are the reason people are getting concerned.

This is a valid and fair point. It's clear that Mowbray and Waggott has not been able to secure the deals in the timeframe they want for various reasons. Whether that is wage/transfer demands, bigger clubs not wanting to release players before they've done business themselves we don't know. 

It seems clear that there is some money available. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to secure a raft of new contracts as well as shelling out an estimated 800k on two midfield prospects. They would not not spend a major part of the budget on Davenport/Rothwell so that tells me there still money available. Mowbray also seems confident that things will get there in the end. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Another bizarre comment from Waggott. He must be referring to the January window when we signed Armstrong and Payne on loan and Bell from Fleetwood who only had 5 months left on his contract.

If we had an 'exceptional' transfer budget yet chose to only spend a fraction of it on 1 permanent addition and 2 loans then that suggests a considerable sum of money wasn't spent and ought to have trickled into the summer pot.

Presumably he would argue that the loan signings of Armstrong and Payne cost a considerable sum of money, yet I'm not sure I believe that to be true. Payne was on loan at Oxford prior to coming here and has since gone to Bradford, both League One clubs who aren't exactly flush with money, and Armstrong has been on loan at Bolton and Coventry recently, another 2 who aren't known for chucking money around. My point being that whilst they were decent additions to the squad I'm not sure it required an 'exceptional' budget to bring them in.

I sincerely hope that Waggott doesn't trot out similar comments in August if the window shuts and we don't get some serious business done.

Very easy and cheap to talk about spending and having good budgets, very different to sign off the cheques and get the business done.

Again, difference between having a good budget and paying over the odds for shit. Need to strike the balance. If he says the budget is there, I would see no reason not to believe the man. 

No good deals are done in January, so to sign the best left back in league one was pretty good business if you ask me. It seems our fans just want money lumped for the sake of it. I am happy we are showing patience and waiting for the right deals. 

Just now, briansol said:

It seems clear that there is some money available. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to secure a raft of new contracts as well as shelling out an estimated 800k on two midfield prospects. They would not not spend a major part of the budget on Davenport/Rothwell so that tells me there still money available. Mowbray also seems confident that things will get there in the end. 

I'm not even sure on this. Dishing out new contracts is of course important and a positive step. Particularly tying Dack and Lenihan down to new deals. But does it require money to be available to do it? Our revenues will be considerably higher now we are in the Championship (Waggot estimated last week they could be almost double those of last season), so for the owners to sanction new deals and increased wages whilst important I'm not sure it really requires them to immediately dip into their piggy banks to fund. It is more the case of increasing wages now we are receiving increased revenues.

They've shown in the past that they don't really mind cranking up the wage bill and bringing in loans and frees on higher wages than others will pay, the problem comes when they have to dip into their own funds to bankroll cash purchases.

• Like 3

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16372541.mowbray-gives-update-on-rovers-contract-negotiations/?ref=mac

“We have some big players in the final year of their contract and for varying reasons we are not in a position to do anything on those deals because of the situation of those deals and the current cost.

In other words, Mulgrew and Evans earn big money, so no offer on the table. 

We signed up the rest of the squad on new deals because they're cheap...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

A City supporting mate of mine thinks it is Phil Foden that we are going to loan from them. 

Not a chance. He’ll either stay and fight for a place or go on loan in the prem. I’d love to see him here but just can’t see it happening.

• Like 1

A City supporting mate of mine thinks it is Phil Foden that we are going to loan from them. 

Now that would be a signing!!

Ahh mate. Don’t do this to us!! There’s prob about 10 lads just googled “10 reasons why you should hate Phil Foden” just so they have something to complain about! Hahahah 

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky said:

Not a chance. He’ll either stay and fight for a place or go on loan in the prem. I’d love to see him here but just can’t see it happening.

I'm with Ricky. Don't think we have a chance - sure I saw that he was linked with a few Prem teams earlier in the window. If it's going to be a Championship team I would imagine someone with more money than us will be taking him.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

The whole point of the concern is about the failure to maintain and build on the feel-good factor created by last season (as you describe).

TM clearly wanted to, hence the statements he made which have been quoted endlessly on here.

Its not negativity to worry that its not going as planned. 

You brought up the term "happy clapper", no-one else has called you that ,as I recall, but the term doesn't seem extreme in your case.

WUM applies as well.

Fair point regarding the execution of the plan. Surely we can wait until the end of the window though.

Just now, Ricky said:

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Ahh mate. Don’t do this to us!! There’s prob about 10 lads just googled “10 reasons why you should hate Phil Foden” just so they have something to complain about! Hahahah 

He told me that's what is being said on their forum. He has gone on tour with them and its 50/50 if he will stay or go on loan and that us on Leeds are the front runners if he does. Guardiola wants him to play under an experienced manager and improve his physicality in the Championship. 

Don't shoot the messenger!

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Got to be honest.  Evans can go now for me.  Wouldn't be missed and gives Davenport a slot.  Mulgrew had a great year last year but traditionally  injury prone.  Think this will be his last season  for us.  Hand the batton to Wharton or whichever CB we eventually bring in.  

I don't necessarily disagree, especially with Evans, bloke's been largely an expensive waste of time.

However, for me, it shows that the kind of contract that attracted Mulgrew won't be seen again at the club...

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16372541.mowbray-gives-update-on-rovers-contract-negotiations/?ref=mac

“We have some big players in the final year of their contract and for varying reasons we are not in a position to do anything on those deals because of the situation of those deals and the current cost.

Everything I've read suggests we have a very small budget for Championship level. I said last season that, in spite of all of the rampant optimism, our natural position with the current owners in charge may be yo-yoing between the Championship and League 1. We've seen and heard nothing so far to suggest we're looking to do anything more than survive this season. 

If that is the case, you have to wonder what the point is in Venky's owning us. From their perspective we're a consistently loss-making entity with very little room for growth or evolution without significant investment, which they evidently aren't willing to provide. Why the hell won't they listen to offers?

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That means that both Lenihan and Dack have signed long contracts on sensible wages, which is great news. It also means that Evans is highly overpaid, and wouldn't be a big miss if he goes. With Davenport and Travis he will not be missed in that case. 

Mulgrew on the other hand could have at least a couple of good years left if his body can keep up with physical challenge of Championship football. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Be very surprised if it's him.  We've got a ton midfielders.  More likely to be up top or out wide.  

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Be very surprised if it's him.  We've got a ton midfielders.  More likely to be up top or out wide.  

Patrick Roberts would be nice but I can't see that happening either. When people were suggesting Nmecha, was that taken from somewhere or was it a presumption? I don't know much about him

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Now now, play fair!

Anyone would be delighted to have a player of Foden's calibre here, but it's a tad unrealistic at the very least!!

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Thanks mate. You won’t get too much feedback on your ‘back to reality’ bit in here because it doesn’t fit the general negative rhetoric...but yeah I heard Baldwin too.

Maddison likely as we ARE one of two teams in for him and most likely to sign him unless

a) he refuses to reduce his ridiculous wage demands (higher than Dack and Mulgrew).

b) someone else triggers his release and pays said wages.

More than likely reach a deal this or next week on a). and b) is unlikely...Deal very likely.

As is Armstrong in the last week when everyone stops posturing and players and agents accept that they are facing being at club where no one wants you.

Baseless, provocative rubbish. Ive given 3 reasons below as to why people have genuine reason to be concerned.

No one has said that they wont judge him at window end either.

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has said that they wont be judging at the end of the window. People have made the valid points below and its hardly as if people are panicking by saying these things:

Players that would have improved us have to rival clubs.

Venkys are notorious for turning off the tap and stunting our chances of progression. So thats a valid concern.

That ideally players would be here to bed in during pre-season, especially considering Mowbray stating as such at the beginning, and considering our slow starts in each of the previous 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Got to be honest.  Evans can go now for me.  Wouldn't be missed and gives Davenport a slot.  Mulgrew had a great year last year but traditionally  injury prone.  Think this will be his last season  for us.  Hand the batton to Wharton or whichever CB we eventually bring in.  

I agree on Evans, just getting his wages off would be good. I remember Rangers were interested a while back, but other than that I never hear anyone linked with him. Even when he is fit, he just doesn't do enough consistently for me 

I am fearful that he will be 1st choice again next season. I would be critical of Mowbray if that was the case. Hopefully Travis or Davenport do enough in Mowbrays eyes to get in ahead of him. We even have Whittingham as an option off the bench then if experience is required. 

I agree on Evans, just getting his wages off would be good. I remember Rangers were interested a while back, but other than that I never hear anyone linked with him. Even when he is fit, he just doesn't do enough consistently for me 

I am fearful that he will be 1st choice again next season. I would be critical of Mowbray if that was the case. Hopefully Travis or Davenport do enough in Mowbrays eyes to get in ahead of him. We even have Whittingham as an option off the bench then if experience is required. 

Evans was very good in the last month of the season, Mowbray described him as our best player in that last month so id be shocked if he doesnt start the Ipswich game.