BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

That's my worry chadster that we don't have the money to do those deals.

Despite my ramblings I do hope that I'm wrong and that Mowbray has someone decent lined up 

500k for McKay is a bargain and great investment for us. He will only improve. Disappointed we not in for him. Fair enough if we have someone better line up but I cant see considering the talent and reported price. 

• Like 1

I think the key to things dragging on is the agents wanting their huge slices for being gatekeepers.  At least our main targets also seem to be digging their heels in and haven't gone elsewhere YET.  Rest assured, agents are hogs around a trough and they'll be pushing deals through this week because they'll want something rather than nothing.

Rich Sharpe keeps on mentioning that one of our cash purchases might even eclipse the fee paid for Bradley Dack last summer. Wow. So we might surpass 750k on one player and that is supposed to be something to be excited about. I don't obsess over how much people cost but surely having won promotion to a higher level then the transfer budget should be significantly higher?

• Moderation Lead

If we blow some of our budget on a centre half, particularly ahead of a striker, when we've let Wharton go out on loan, then I'll be a mixture of annoyed and confused.......

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rich Sharpe keeps on mentioning that one of our cash purchases might even eclipse the fee paid for Bradley Dack last summer. Wow. So we might surpass 750k on one player and that is supposed to be something to be excited about. I don't obsess over how much people cost but surely having won promotion to a higher level then the transfer budget should be significantly higher?

This is the world we find ourselves in now unfortunately. 8 years of chronic mismanagement and corruption from the owners and the vultures that made the most of the situation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Who is excited about that? 

I doubt very much Mowbray said Chapman was available for cheap. I distinctly remember Mowbray saying that Pulis wants him involved in pre season to take a look at him. This would contradict saying he was available for cheap. Chapman has indeed been involved in pre season and is doing well it seems. 

It's stuff like this, where one poster on here says something like "Chapman was available for cheap, but Mowbray didn't do the deal!!!" Next thing it's taken up by others and repeated ad nauseum throughout the season 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Just seen Chapman set up a goal yesterday with a run from deep inside his own half, he’s going to be on Boros bench I think, we may have missed the window to get him in at a good price.

Mowbray said earlier that he knew the price and it was cheap, hope we don’t regret this one he’s going to be a star.

Where did he say that? The only thing I've seen is that Boro wanted to see him in pre-season before any decisions. Rich Sharpe says he always thought a transfer for Chapman would be more unlikely than likely.

Wonderful run, would really like him back. 

9 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Trust Mowbray?  I  keep seeing this but what does it mean?

I  trust  TM  to be as honest as he can, to do his best,  I trust that he is a good bloke and  I expect he's great to have a chat with if you can get a word in.  

Does that mean he won't make mistakes?  No.

I know for a fact his judgment isn't perfect.   Trusting him doesn't mean we won't get shafted by the selling club,  it doesn't mean we won't get gazumped by another bidder or that any number of other things that could mean we miss out on who we want. 

To keep saying trust Mowbray is a bit daft.

I  believe there is money to spend and  TM   and Waggott want to spend it but it doesn't mean they are or aren't going to get the right players.

Agree with this.

It's OK saying trust Mowbray but he was the one who unearthed Gladwin , Hart and Caddis.

He counteracted this with several cracking additions - including the loans of Chapman and Armstrong.

However if only about half of his transfers turned out to be good, and we are only bringing in 3 more players, then that's why I think people are concerned.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Agree with this.

It's OK saying trust Mowbray but he was the one who unearthed Gladwin , Hart and Caddis.

He counteracted this with several cracking additions - including the loans of Chapman and Armstrong.

However if only about half of his transfers turned out to be good, and we are only bringing in 3 more players, then that's why I think people are concerned.

For every Freidel, there are two dozen Fettis' ☺

What Mowbray actually said was that Chapman was desperate to come back to Ewood but that Mowbray didn't fancy Chapman as a starter, which he also said about Payne. 

In the LT today it states our money will go on a defender and that attackers will be brought in on loan. 

So no permanent deals for AA, Chapman or Madddison. Mark Beevers has been enquired about though so that's exciting. It's a good job we have a 'competitive budget' or it could be really depressing. ?

Edited by blueboy3333

• Backroom

If we use any cash for a defender rather than an attacker it will be bemusing, it wasn’t a priority at the start of the window and still isn’t although we have made it more of an issue by sending Wharton out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mark Beevers has been enquired about though so that's exciting. It's a good job we have a 'competitive budget' or it could be really depressing. 

That worries me.  We know how Dack's form drops when beavers are on the scene.

• Like 6

If we don't sign at least 1 winger or striker on a permanent deal I would say things have not gone according to plan at all this window. No point sugar coating it. Ideally we needed to sign one of each on permanent deals. It is higjy unlikely we could turn either of the loans mooted into permanent deals at some point 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Agree with this.

You're forgetting about last season's big name signing - Whittingham.  As a manager you live or die by your signings and Mowbray has got as many wrong as he has got right. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who is excited about that? 

Nobody I would have thought. But the way Sharp has been writing it suggests that it is something we should be hotly anticipating as though we mean business and are set to splash the cash.

£750k in League One was a lot of money for one player, in the Championship its peanuts. We also pulled off a coup with Dack because he'd had a quiet season before coming here and Gillingham needed the money.

I would have expected considerably more to be invested this summer ahead of our Championship return yet the Telegraph are at work trying to convince readers that £750,000 or so is big money. It isn't.

• Like 3

So what we can conclude from this mornings LT is that if Armstrong is coming back it will be a loan and that our 'competitive budget' is about a million quid... 

Edited by Neal

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

So yesterday it was 2 perm signings but now it's one which will be a back up centre half.Absolute joke

This has been in the pipeline for the last few weeks. If you put any weight on what the Telegraph say then there's been a gradual shift from at least 4 to now 3 of which a couple will be loans, seemingly one of which is only until Xmas, and the permanent will be for a CB who all being well won't feature.

750 to 1 mill should get a good defender who can maybe add some steel to the composure of Mulgrew and the youth of Lenihen, might even allow a decent version of the dreaded 3 at the back ?

Sadly similar money would probably only get a Samuel type forward in but a good loan fee might get a decent striker so I can see where he might be going on this. All about consolidation next season whilst the rebuilding continues, build from the back as they always say. Something a lot of previous management never got to grips with !

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

This has been in the pipeline for the last few weeks. If you put any weight on what the Telegraph say then there's been a gradual shift from at least 4 to now 3 of which a couple will be loans, seemingly one of which is only until Xmas, and the permanent will be for a CB who all being well won't feature.

Tony Mowbray May 2018 - 'I'm excited about the quality of player we can bring to the club this summer'. 

August 2018 - Mark Beevers signs for £50k.