BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

You’re basing this on Rich Sharpe? Don’t get me wrong I think he’s pretty good but I always prefer to see what happens with transfers and not rush to cement rumours - even Palmer isn’t confirmed yet and that’s a Sky one.

Id hope the priority is a winger personally. I’d start the season with Graham/Samuel/Nuttall for that one lone striker role and be quite comfortable, but then rather concerned that our only wide players are Bennett and Conway! I know he wants to play Rothwell further up and has used Samuel out wide, but we need some more in wide area imo.

You would be confident going into the season with only Nuttall and Samuel as back up to Graham who we know will miss games through fitness this season?

In fairness Biz I respect your opinion but even the manager doesn't fancy Samuel as a Centre forward, against Liverpool he played Dack as a false 9  and against Everton he had Samuel playing wide of a 3, even last season when Samuel got minutes it was rare that it was at C.F, certainly after the first couple of months of the season.

Nuttall is raw in time he could develop but imo he is not ready for championship football.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Its not rebuilding though. The attacking end of the pitch has been neglected since Gestede, Rhodes and King left.  Our only decent striker is a 32 year old who struggles to play a full 90 and has been known to let his fitness drop.  We need permanent players up top..  Why the helll would we not loan a squad filling CB?  

Aye but if you were hatching a plan to rebuild over a few years in a budget which might only allow one perm signing per season over 500k but for whatever reason had a bit of movement in wages for loans you might be inclined to start from the back.

Strikers and attackers cost big money and wages with defenders of maybe equal ability in their own position costing less yet if you can pay wages for a season there are good attacking options to loan in.  Not saying it's right and personally i'd invest 2 million plus on a decent striker because if it works out goals are invaluable BUT it's the way this lot do things.

Happy to write off decent wages over a season on loans probably because it comes in the annual budget they've set so it comes off the clubs overdraft etc and can be balanced by getting rid of a few or paid down every few years with sales. They seem less inclined to put in lump sums in one go to purchase players imo

Top and bottom of it I suppose is you can buy a good defender for a million quid who might grow in value and serve you well for a few years. For half a million you can loan in a good attacker for a season whose goals might give you a nice finishing position but to buy him would cost 6 million and 25k per week over 4 years.

Looking at it from a gaffers point of view that's where he's at I reckon.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You would be confident going into the season with only Nuttall and Samuel as back up to Graham who we know will miss games through fitness this season?

In fairness Biz I respect your opinion but even the manager doesn't fancy Samuel as a Centre forward, against Liverpool he played Dack as a false 9  and against Everton he had Samuel playing wide of a 3, even last season when Samuel got minutes it was rare that it was at C.F, certainly after the first couple of months of the season.

Nuttall is raw in time he could develop but imo he is not ready for championship football.

I like the look of Nuttall personally - I think he’s another one that could shoot up in value this season, and perhaps he sees Dack in that role this season, which effectively puts more necessity in width than central attacking.

I agree on Samuel though. I don’t think he holds the ball up well enough - especially compared to Graham but he has looked effective at times getting in behind the defence on the flanks.

I don't really understand the 'hate' towards Nuttall. Looked decent last season and was unlucky to lose his place for some reason to Samuel when he got fit again and therefore resulted in a bit of low confidence (rightly so though). Willing to give him a shot in the Championship, he knows where the goal is. I'd obviously rather sign someone to start above him but I don't see why he can't be given minutes in the Championship especially when people were hoping for Wharton to get minutes.

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

I like the look of Nuttall personally - I think he’s another one that could shoot up in value this season, and perhaps he sees Dack in that role this season, which effectively puts more necessity in width than central attacking.

I agree on Samuel though. I don’t think he holds the ball up well enough - especially compared to Graham but he has looked effective at times getting in behind the defence on the flanks.

Nuttall could be decent but even the manager was saying last week that he would like to send him out on loan so he can play games on a regular basis but has'nt been let out yet due to us not bringing in anyone. If Nuttall is still here after August 31st then it's obvious our transfer window hasn't gone to plan.

I did think Samuel played well against Everton and I do think  he has a little something so I'm not writing him off but like you I don't think he is a centre forward. 

Anyway I suppose all we can do is wait and see who we bring in and hopefully Sharp is wrong about only bring one perm and it being a centre half 

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

You’re basing this on Rich Sharpe? Don’t get me wrong I think he’s pretty good but I always prefer to see what happens with transfers and not rush to cement rumours - even Palmer isn’t confirmed yet and that’s a Sky one.

Id hope the priority is a winger personally. I’d start the season with Graham/Samuel/Nuttall for that one lone striker role and be quite comfortable, but then rather concerned that our only wide players are Bennett and Conway! I know he wants to play Rothwell further up and has used Samuel out wide, but we need some more in wide area imo.

I wouldn't be happy starting with just those 3 as our striking options. We have had all the window to get a striker in. We need another striker. To not get another in would be very bad imo 

In fact, if our biggest signing of the window is a back up centre half, that will be strange and I doubt what even Mowbray woukd have envisaged happening. 

Anyway, Bennett is on the media team this week. The official account just tweeted something along the lines of "busy week aged, new recruit to the media team". I like the idea of this. Really cool. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyway, Bennett is on the media team this week. The official account just tweeted something along the lines of "busy week aged, new recruit to the media team". I like the idea of this. Really cool. 

I imagine that will be to do with all the media, press conferences, interviews etc leading up to the first game of the season rather than any potential incomings. Apart from the ones that might come in on loan of course.

Edit: Never mind, think it’s Williams

Picture on Rovers twitter of the players training. Might just be getting ahead of myself but is that not Palmer on the inside of the net? ???‍♂️

Edited by BG1492

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I imagine that will be to do with all the media, press conferences, interviews etc leading up to the first game of the season rather than any potential incomings. Apart from the ones that might come in on loan of course.

Probably right. The club aren't daft and know that putting out tweets like the Bennett one will get a lot of people hooked on the premise that we've a 'busy' week of activity and people will immediately assume that means multiple new signings arriving. As you say it could just as easily and probably more likely refer to the frenzy ahead of the Ipswich match. No doubt they've got Sky sports people down there all week whipping up a frenzy especially as they haven't got the Premier League for another week.

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

Live or die by your signings ? i always thought a manager lived or died by actual results. And as he got the results right last season with the players he brought in and gained promotion  then hes in credit with me ..at the moment.

Good signings usually equal good results.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Probably right. The club aren't daft and know that putting out tweets like the Bennett one will get a lot of people hooked on the premise that we've a 'busy' week of activity and people will immediately assume that means multiple new signings arriving. As you say it could just as easily and probably more likely refer to the frenzy ahead of the Ipswich match. No doubt they've got Sky sports people down there all week whipping up a frenzy especially as they haven't got the Premier League for another week.

At this point, how many signings, loans and permanent would you need to say we had a good window? 

From  your posts it sounds like you think it's too late already 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

It's a shame to see us miss out on a couple of really good deals which other clubs seem to be snapping up. Harrison would of been really smart business but that ship has now sailed. Think same goes for chapman who seems to have played his way into Boro first team. Maddison and hugill are both available, the latter on loan, both players who could transform the look of our squad but doesn't seem to be any interest from us and can see us regretting not picking them up if other clubs swoop in.

However Impressed by the palmer deal, if it goes through, he's a top end championship player with pace and quality and also strength on the ball, will be excited  to see how he gets on for us, tho I am hoping it's either a longer loan or with a view to a permanent deal. If we can get him in on loan and then a striker and another wide man who have quality then I reckon we will be in good shape.

The palmer deal came out of nowhere and that is a real coup for us imo. So there's defo reasons to be hopeful that we can pull a couple out of the bag. One thing for certain is that money needs to be spent on permanent. I personally would be disappointed if we didn't do a deal which eclipsed dacks fee. Interesting week ahead.

Edited by TruRover

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Aye but if you were hatching a plan to rebuild over a few years in a budget which might only allow one perm signing per season over 500k but for whatever reason had a bit of movement in wages for loans you might be inclined to start from the back.

Strikers and attackers cost big money and wages with defenders of maybe equal ability in their own position costing less yet if you can pay wages for a season there are good attacking options to loan in.  Not saying it's right and personally i'd invest 2 million plus on a decent striker because if it works out goals are invaluable BUT it's the way this lot do things.

Happy to write off decent wages over a season on loans probably because it comes in the annual budget they've set so it comes off the clubs overdraft etc and can be balanced by getting rid of a few or paid down every few years with sales. They seem less inclined to put in lump sums in one go to purchase players imo

Top and bottom of it I suppose is you can buy a good defender for a million quid who might grow in value and serve you well for a few years. For half a million you can loan in a good attacker for a season whose goals might give you a nice finishing position but to buy him would cost 6 million and 25k per week over 4 years.

Looking at it from a gaffers point of view that's where he's at I reckon.

Yes ok Tomphill but on Mowbray's return from India it could have been said by Mowbray that we have "limited funds,this season is about consolidation and building brick by brick".

I don't see why we were told that we have a competitive budget,Have some exciting attacking talent lined up etc

Less than a week away from kick off and we haven't replaced any of Chapman,Armstrong, Antonnson and Payne. 

I'm still hoping we are going to see something exciting happen but if only a back up centre half is brought in on a perm im going to be beyond disappointed. 

I'm not expecting millions to be spent but having only had a net spend of roughly 400k at this stage of the window is extremely disappointing and it's making me feel like the club are taking the piss out of the fans again and ruining the feel good factor that had built up last season 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yes ok Tomphill but on Mowbray's return from India it could have been said by Mowbray that we have "limited funds,this season is about consolidation and building brick by brick".

I don't see why we were told that we have a competitive budget,Have some exciting attacking talent lined up etc

Less than a week away from kick off and we haven't replaced any of Chapman,Armstrong, Antonnson and Payne. 

I'm still hoping we are going to see something exciting happen but if only a back up centre half is brought in on a perm im going to be beyond disappointed. 

I'm not expecting millions to be spent but having only had a net spend of roughly 400k at this stage of the window is extremely disappointing and it's making me feel like the club are taking the piss out of the fans again and ruining the feel good factor that had built up last season 

Armstrong in would end the window on a positive note I feel. Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

At this point, how many signing, loans and permanent would you need to say we had a good window? 

From  your posts it sounds like you think it's too late already 

At the start of the summer, assuming no major departures, I wanted 7 incomings, preferably all permanent deals but a couple on loan if necessary. We offloaded Feeney and Ward, and lost Payne, Armstrong and Antonnson, so we were 5 down on numbers before we started, and in my opinion needed a bigger squad and more depth than we had last season.

That number perhaps drops to 6 if we could find someone to play in a couple of positions, but we can't really go below that.

Our manager has said the same in his earlier interviews - he wanted 6 and preferred permanents over loans. Only his position seems to have shifted in recent weeks - according to the Telegraph 5 incomings is a likely outcome of which 2 will be loans and 1 a CB. My view has been consistent in terms of numbers and a clear preference for permanents.

We've brought in 2 to date so need at least 4 more in my opinion. Those 4 need to be of sufficient quality to go straight into the first team or dislodge existing players over the course of the season, not players who will be sat on the bench at best making up the numbers like Gladwin.

Also depends on the 'calibre' of loan - Rhodes to Norwich and Wildschut to Bolton are in my view better than kids from academies that have never played in the Championship.

As you rightly point out the window isn't closed yet and it isn't too late, though we're already at a stage where new arrivals are likely to be too late for Ipswich. I think you've admitted yourself today concern at what you're hearing in terms of a permanent defender and loans elsewhere.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bluebruce said:

He never used to. The Chaddy of old was pretty friendly, his optimistic outlook on all things Rovers almost matched by his optimistic outlook towards other fans. In fairness, I think he was twisted and embittered by the perpetual abuse he seemed to attract for being the epitome of the positivity spectrum. Being constantly under attack seems to have developed defence mechanisms in him, and to survive psychologically he has subsequently adopted the default attitude of a brfcs poster - condescension, unwarranted sarcasm, hubris, and a propensity for indulging in catfights.

To be fair, some of the stuff people used to hurl at him, I'd have been snapping at them a lot sooner and a lot harder. A lot of people used to genuinely feel sorry for him and asked others to lay off him. So, it is understandable to an extent. Sadly, this survivalist adaptation period has cultivated a persistent paranoia that everything of an opposing view may be a personal slight.

I miss the old Chaddy.

The biography - The Evolution Of Chaddy, penned by myself - is available in all substandard bookstores now.

Will it cost a Fiver?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Can't argue with that but even TM isn't immune to having to sell ST's although i'm sure he expected to deliver a few biggish ones when he said that. He probably should have said excited by those he has targeted and hopes he can get them in.

Then again he may have been Venky'd.

Personally I think it might be down to the same old chestnut the phone going off mid summer for vacation time after they've set the guidelines but can't be contacted to give the final ok despite having Waggot now in the house. A flurry of late activity would be my guess....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At the start of the summer, assuming no major departures, I wanted 7 incomings, preferably all permanent deals but a couple on loan if necessary. We offloaded Feeney and Ward, and lost Payne, Armstrong and Antonnson, so we were 5 down on numbers before we started, and in my opinion needed a bigger squad and more depth than we had last season.

That number perhaps drops to 6 if we could find someone to play in a couple of positions, but we can't really go below that.

Our manager has said the same in his earlier interviews - he wanted 6 and preferred permanents over loans. Only his position seems to have shifted in recent weeks - according to the Telegraph 5 incomings is a likely outcome of which 2 will be loans and 1 a CB. My view has been consistent in terms of numbers and a clear preference for permanents.

We've brought in 2 to date so need at least 4 more in my opinion. Those 4 need to be of sufficient quality to go straight into the first team or dislodge existing players over the course of the season, not players who will be sat on the bench at best making up the numbers like Gladwin.

Also depends on the 'calibre' of loan - Rhodes to Norwich and Wildschut to Bolton are in my view better than kids from academies that have never played in the Championship.

As you rightly point out the window isn't closed yet and it isn't too late, though we're already at a stage where new arrivals are likely to be too late for Ipswich. I think you've admitted yourself today concern at what you're hearing in terms of a permanent defender and loans elsewhere.

Ya, if our only permanent signing before the window closes is Beevers or Bauer, that will be disappointing. I have no doubt we are trying hard to get attacking players in, hopefully the two lads sign on loan, we get Bauer and then Armstrong or another striker for a fee. I think the ship has sailed on Chapman, unfortunately. It would be strange if we don't sign players for a few quid, considering the great season we had last year, the fan positivity and the opportunity to keep the momentum going. Results are ultimately what matter, but I can understand and will feel frustrated myself if we don't make a "marquee signing" 

I don't think Mowbray will sign players unless he thinks they will compete to get in the team. It's a testament to his signings that Gladwin is brought up time and again as an example of one he got wrong. 

11 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He's said all along about an A and b list etc and talked as if he is still hopeful of his A list..

But the players in so far - and linked -go against all the rhetoric about wide players, strikers and older players with champ experience. 

Trust Tony as genuinely wanting the best for the club - yes.

Trust Tony not to screw up this transfer window - jury well and truly out.

*If Chapman was available cheap, then passing that up is just bizzarre IMO. 

Not too bizarre, TM let us all know he did not think as highly if Chapman as we do, did.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Agree that for some reason this area has been deliberately or otherwise neglected for the last 3-4 years. We filled up last year with the Armstrong and Antonsson loans, before that it was Gallagher, Emnes and Joao. Season before that we were mucking around signing Simeon Jackson mid-season after selling Rhodes.

I could accept the slow, gradual build job narrative if we saw a piece by piece construction but all we seem to want to do in that area of the pitch is get by as easily and cheaply as possible. At best we'll be in the exact same position next summer as we are now as Graham will be a year older and the loans we're getting will be off again. Unless Samuel surprises.

Easy----strikers are the most expensive so we prefer to hire them. If there was a radio Rentals for footballers we'd be at the front of the queue!

56 minutes ago, AAK said:

Exactly my thoughts in respect of Downing. He probably isn't good enough for the championship so why sign him, unless it really was a cheap deal.

Even if a cheap deal if he isn't good enough and Mowbray feels he can't step in then he shouldn't have been signed.If another centre half is brought in then he won't be getting any minutes.

Caddis,Gladwin,Hart and Downings wages combined could have gone on someone who could contribute as none of those will next season.

Can't understand why Caddis in paticular was given a 2 year deal and whoever recommended Hart shouldn't be listened to again.Cant remember if it was on here I read it but I'm sure I read it was David Lowe who recommended Hart to Mowbraym

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

It was the manager who said that you can't build a club with loan signings. 

I have no problem with us loaning players but if they come in alongside permanent deals.

Are you not dissapointed that we have only spent roughly 400k this summer?

Do you not find it odd that the telegraph are suggesting that our only permanent signing will be a centre back?

Davenport is a permanent.

EDIT   Oh I see! You mean only permanent signing for the rest of the window?

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Davenport is a permanent.

I know but Davenport and Rothwell combined is 750-800k we recieved 425k from the Mahoney tribunal so we have had a net spend of 400k max

And I meant a centre back being our only permanent signing between now and the window shutting 

Edited by islander200