BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

What happens if Bell, new centre back and Mulgrew are injury? 

So we need 5 centre backs for the season?

At the minute we only have one striker capable of leading the line

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Williams will be ahead of Downing as an option along with the new centre back.Downing wasn't even in the 18 yesterday new centre back just puts him further back 

OK-fair point.

27 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Has he played that role for the under 23s?  What's his goals/assists ratio.  Hard to assess his energy levels as he only makes cameo appearances.  If anything he looks like a Smallwood type.

He has played centre midfield for the under 23 last season..

15 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Armstrong McGinn Maddison Jerome and Bauer. That would make this a very successful transfer window. 

Good God! Can't happen can it? Am I living in a parallel universe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Williams is a left back who can cover centre back. Thats it..prefer him at left back

It doesn't matter what you prefer.Mowbray prefers  Williams, if that wasn't the case he would have had downing on the bench for cover if Mulgrew or Lenihan got injured.

Just now, islander200 said:

It doesn't matter what you prefer.Mowbray prefers  Williams, if that wasn't the case he would have had downing on the bench for cover if Mulgrew or Lenihan got injured.

Fair enough. So from yesterday who would you have drop to put Downing on it then? 

But Williams is left back not a centre back in a 2 man defence. Ok in league 1 but not in Championship. 

Near the end of the season and earlier in preseason you were claiming we didnt need a another CB Chaddy and kept saying that Williams and Nyambe can play there. Now that the club is linked with one you change your tune again saying we need 5 CBs as you dont want to use Williams there.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough. So from yesterday who would you have drop to put Downing on it then? 

But Williams is left back not a centre back in a 2 man defence. Ok in league 1 but not in Championship. 

Yeah I'm not saying I disagree with you but my point is if Downing wasn't involved yesterday and then we sign a new centre back then he will just be further away from the first team.

Mowbray will probably use Williams if Mulgrew gets injured and this new centre back if Lenihan is out.

If Mowbray didn't feel Downing was good enough to be a stand in centre back at this level then he shouldn't have been signed on a permanent deal.Thats my point.He did well on loan not saying he didn't by the way but that was league one 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Downing was an MK Dons backup player brought in as emergency cover due to Lenihan's long term injury. Signing him on a permanent was a mistake, although he had enjoyed a decent few months prior to January. He's nowhere near Championship standard so I can only assume he was signed on the off chance we didn't get promoted. I'm more annoyed about Caddis being given a two year deal tbh. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If McGinn is definitely better than what's we have then it makes sense to bring hIm in. You don't make progress being loyal all the time. Sometimes you have to make though decisions and he sounds like he could be a significantly better genuine midfielder than what we have. 

Remember Souness bringing in Friedel and people saying why did we bring in another keeper and especially one who hadn't done much at Liverpool? Look how that turned out 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Remember Souness bringing in Friedel and people saying why did we bring in another keeper and especially one who hadn't done much at Liverpool? Look how that turned out 

Or tugay over eyal berkovic (i know he was on loan)

Lukas Nmech and Patrick Roberts are not on the bench for City today, so it could be one of those coming on loan?

Seeing as we are linked to the lad from Hibs, it must surely mean that Travis is going out on loan and maybe if we can offload Whittingham to free up space and wages. Some poster on here mentioned that Evans has only got a year left on his contract (plus high wages) which might mean he’s off somewhere?

The next few days will be interesting..

I do think central midfield is an area that needs addressing. I don’t think Smalllwood/Evans are of the standard required. Smallwood is fantastic at harassing and chasing players, but players at this level have that little bit of quality to produce a little bit of skill to sidestep him. Evans is unable to produce the goods on a consistentl basis, but he probably is our most talented CM player when he’s on form. Whittngham’s career is well and truly over,; Travis I have high hopes for and think he’ll become a regular,; Davenport/Rothewell I know little about. I think Davenport could turn out to be good, he did well at burton last year, but I’m unsure about Rothwell. 

Edited by rovers11

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

Downing was an MK Dons backup player brought in as emergency cover due to Lenihan's long term injury. Signing him on a permanent was a mistake, although he had enjoyed a decent few months prior to January. He's nowhere near Championship standard so I can only assume he was signed on the off chance we didn't get promoted. I'm more annoyed about Caddis being given a two year deal tbh. 

I'm fine with the Downing deal. You need 4 centre backs for a season, and Downing is someone who is very cheap and won't throw toys out of prams due to being 4th choice. Looks like Mowbray is looking for a more capable 3rd choice (and possibly genuine competition for the main spots), and it isn't any good having lads like Wharton waste away being 4th choice.

Wouldn't read too much into him not being on the bench. I think he had an injury issue recently? So likely not fully fit. Mowbray probably felt Bell was a more versatile sub to have (and is higher rated). Williams could have gone inside for Bell, so why waste a sub slot, may have been the thinking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CraigF said:

Lukas Nmech and Patrick Roberts are not on the bench for City today, so it could be one of those coming on loan?

Seeing as we are linked to the lad from Hibs, it must surely mean that Travis is going out on loan and maybe if we can offload Whittingham to free up space and wages. Some poster on here mentioned that Evans has only got a year left on his contract (plus high wages) which might mean he’s off somewhere?

The next few days will be interesting..

Roberts looking like he is off to Celtic

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

How's the Maddison signing coming along?

Maddison signing is still rumbling along, his attitude is the reason he hasn't be snapped up yet. People need convincing. I suspect a gamble will be made either way before the window shuts.