BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If a player is in his last 12 months and won't sign a deal then he must be sold, especially if he will attract a decent fee. Has to be this way as a non parachute club. What folk on social media think is irrelevant.

If the player is not willing to leave, then he can't be sold.

• Like 4

While we are busy rewriting history out of context, ffs hire a Polish minder put Lewandowski in a limo in Poland and drive him to the first station Big Sam can get to on Eurostar.

And Jack tells his grasping ungrateful heirs to f-off and signs Zidane, Dugary and takes up Bobbie Baggio's agent's offer to sign for Rovers...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

Well obviously, they will then simply run their contract down.

However, if the argument is bids were being turned down for c£6million, as it wasn’t ‘value’, then that is a ridiculous state of affairs for a skint club for a player with a year left as he’ll soon be fecking off for nowt.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

However, if the argument is bids were being turned down for c£6million, as it wasn’t ‘value’, then that is a ridiculous state of affairs for a skint club for a player with a year left as he’ll soon be fecking off for nowt.

Your first statement is what actually happened. Your second is rumour.

You'd have hope the light bulbs might have switched on now in Pune if we have a DoF advising them.

Selling for peanuts plus a few add ons just to pay a few bills is nonsense but on the flip side hanging on and hanging on because someone has told you there is 20 million on the horizon is also daft.

They should have learned now from both scenarios and look to find a balance to it where a player goes when he hits good value after he's done a decent stint in blue and white but before you end up hanging on for unrealistic fees and his contract is being run down.

Find that sweet spot in the middle, 8 / 10 million plus add ons is better than hanging on for 15/20 then losing them for nothing.

Key to it all is as much as possible MUST be reinvested asap on a good replacement but that is hopefully why we have the system we do now.  Not just to raise bits of capital off homegrown or cheap buys just to pay the bills.

The aim must always be building a squad for promotion not water treading.

• Like 1

In Rothwell, the club has previous in a policy of gambling in sacrificing a transfer fee for league positions/promotion hopes. It can also be seen as a team unity move, to present the club as ambitious to its own players, especially, and not simply a selling club.

However, we will go only one way if we repeatedly let best players leave on frees. Now and again, a calculated sale needs to be made. Lenihan, for example, was a replaceable defender who should have been, I feel, sold a year before he left. Perhaps, Nyambe, if a bidder could be found.

Brereton-Diaz is a trickier one given his importance to the team but, in retrospect, if a fair bid came in, it would have been wise to cash in. We might have got lucky with Sigurdsson but a club like ours needs to raise income through sales if it wants to sustain its position. There is a reason that Bloxham and Atcheson are sometimes on our first team bench have barely played an U23 game or two.

I don't know what the Venky's are doing but I wouldn't at all be surprised that owners (in general) sometimes are happy to let the club's self-generating finances deteriorate (eg. retail and player sales), if it means that the dependency on them increases, especially, if they see the club as not a direct profit earner but as a leverage for other business ventures.

Edited by riverholmes

1 hour ago, rigger said:

While BBD was determined to not sign an extension for Rovers and leave on a free we never actually accepted a bid to test if he would sign elsewhere. I really can't see that he would have said no to the likes of Fulham, Nice or Seville to go on a  free transfer in a years time. Has anyone ever refused a transfer to the division above to go on a free in a year? I can't think of one...

• Like 1

Seeing his name I googled Brereton before. He’s played in 10 games this season domestically, in Europe and internationally. 0 goals. 😬. Some have been off the bench to be fair and hasn’t lasted 90 in many but not great reading for the lad.

Can’t say I’m surprised in the slightest but I did hope he’d do better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

While BBD was determined to not sign an extension for Rovers and leave on a free we never actually accepted a bid to test if he would sign elsewhere. I really can't see that he would have said no to the likes of Fulham, Nice or Seville to go on a  free transfer in a years time. Has anyone ever refused a transfer to the division above to go on a free in a year? I can't think of one...

The financial benefits of hanging on for a year so you can go on a free as opposed to just being transferred are massive. I would imagine your agent will be negotiating a large chunk of a potential transfer fee into the players bank account.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

It may depend on what he was advised to do, by his agent.

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

And what if only an offer of £1 million had been turned down? You don't just sell for the first offer that comes along if it's nowhere near what you think you'll be able to get.

Where the club (or owners) erred is in miscalculating what they could get, and I would guess, in deterring further bids by being adamant it would take double/triple the bids received.

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

Seeing his name I googled Brereton before. He’s played in 10 games this season domestically, in Europe and internationally. 0 goals. 😬. Some have been off the bench to be fair and hasn’t lasted 90 in many but not great reading for the lad.

I also did the same. Wondered why this thread was being brought up again. We should retire this thread now he's left rovers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

Some of the fans are really getting on his back now. If you think some of our players get abuse on here, that’s quite mild compared to some of the comments from Villareal fans.

It  always a step above his real level, going to a top tier club in Spain and even though they got him on a free, his signing on fee and wages will no doubt be substantial.

I don’t know the length of his contact, but can’t imagine he will still be there next season, unless they get relegated. 

11 hours ago, lraC said:

Some of the fans are really getting on his back now. If you think some of our players get abuse on here, that’s quite mild compared to some of the comments from Villareal fans.

It  always a step above his real level, going to a top tier club in Spain and even though they got him on a free, his signing on fee and wages will no doubt be substantial.

I don’t know the length of his contact, but can’t imagine he will still be there next season, unless they get relegated. 

IMG_9248.thumb.jpeg.48ec8b69bc0766f06e4ea024f6ffb4a8.jpegIMG_9249.thumb.jpeg.575232045266f9a93b8753a7375329a8.jpeg

This was in response to him starting at home. A couple of - and the last comments. A disaster. One's saying there are junkies with more quality and you'll find them behind the stadium. Another one is saying he's the worst striker in the club's history. 

He’s not even had a shot on target in the six league matches he's played in. He also got booed off last weekend.

Not going well for him unfortunately. To be fair at ewood other than 6 amazing months he was a range of abysmal to average, mainly abysmal. So this is by no means a shock. He’ll be back at Stoke or somewhere next season

Seems hes taken his last 6 months form from here over there with him so he couldn't have gone to a new club in a much higher league at a worse time really.  That's the risk they take with pre agreement signings though and i'm surprised they didn't back out given how bad he was last season here when it really mattered.

That last day might well have saved the deal and i expect when he does get a goal over there he'll go on a bit of a streak and look world class for 2 months.

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Seems hes taken his last 6 months form from here over there with him so he couldn't have gone to a new club in a much higher league at a worse time really.  That's the risk they take with pre agreement signings though and i'm surprised they didn't back out given how bad he was last season here when it really mattered.

That last day might well have saved the deal and i expect when he does get a goal over there he'll go on a bit of a streak and look world class for 2 months.

It's a calculated risk from them. If it doesn't go well but he does eventually score a few goals, which he's surely capable of, there or on loan, he'll retain some value and some desperate newly promoted Prem club might buy him. 

I think he might still come good if he sticks in there. Look at Joselu! Something of a failure/disappointment at Stoke and Newcastle and now Real Madrid's starting centre forward. Not sure where BBD is playing but a shift to the six yard box might be what he needs.

29 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

It's a calculated risk from them. If it doesn't go well but he does eventually score a few goals, which he's surely capable of, there or on loan, he'll retain some value and some desperate newly promoted Prem club might buy him. 

I think he might still come good if he sticks in there. Look at Joselu! Something of a failure/disappointment at Stoke and Newcastle and now Real Madrid's starting centre forward. Not sure where BBD is playing but a shift to the six yard box might be what he needs.

I mean he was always fairly average (golden 6 months aside) but he looked especially crap when played through the middle. More effective when operating as a wide forward. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Short-term yes, but possibly will hurt it in the long-term. 

I'm not so sure. He's signed a 4 year, £40k a week deal - £8m ish over the length of the contract, plus presumably a fairly chunky signing fee, whilst making him more marketable to Spanish speaking fans. 

It might have been a poor move from a football perspective in the long term (as he's clearly not good enough for that level) but financially it was absolutely the correct thing to do for him and his family.

I hope under Broughton the days of letting players leave for free is over. He’s been very vocal on the subject and a raft of players have all signed long term deals under him.

I think they brought him in precisely to stop the nonsense we saw in recent seasons where £20-30m of players all left for nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

IMG_9248.thumb.jpeg.48ec8b69bc0766f06e4ea024f6ffb4a8.jpegIMG_9249.thumb.jpeg.575232045266f9a93b8753a7375329a8.jpeg

This was in response to him starting at home. A couple of - and the last comments. A disaster. One's saying there are junkies with more quality and you'll find them behind the stadium. Another one is saying he's the worst striker in the club's history. 

He’s not even had a shot on target in the six league matches he's played in. He also got booed off last weekend.

Not going well for him unfortunately. To be fair at ewood other than 6 amazing months he was a range of abysmal to average, mainly abysmal. So this is by no means a shock. He’ll be back at Stoke or somewhere next season

Even with my weak Spanish I can feel their pain. They don’t hold back over there do they. Just say what you think guys.

I remember watching an inter bars game in my local village. The Gaetanos ( gypsies ) had a team in the competition and they weren’t too impressed with the referee. After a pretty bad decision one of the gypsies came out with “ May the host shit on the four hairs on your bald head ! “  Red Card.

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

I mean he was always fairly average (golden 6 months aside) but he looked especially crap when played through the middle. More effective when operating as a wide forward. 

I'm not so sure. He's signed a 4 year, £40k a week deal - £8m ish over the length of the contract, plus presumably a fairly chunky signing fee, whilst making him more marketable to Spanish speaking fans. 

It might have been a poor move from a football perspective in the long term (as he's clearly not good enough for that level) but financially it was absolutely the correct thing to do for him and his family.

If he can handle the criticism then fair enough. From what I saw when Rovers fans turned on him, before his Diaz days, I think it could break him.

He will not come good in La Liga and the abuse looks to be unabated.