BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even with my weak Spanish I can feel their pain. They don’t hold back over there do they. Just say what you think guys.

I remember watching an inter bars game in my local village. The Gaetanos ( gypsies ) had a team in the competition and they weren’t too impressed with the referee. After a pretty bad decision one of the gypsies came out with “ May the host shit on the four hairs on your bald head ! “  Red Card.

There are some very strange slang quotes, if you translate them literally, but that’s the Spanish language for you.

In every day life, just as we see in English, phrases that make no grammatical sense exists. The real cutting ones are a lot more hurtful than what we would expect in the UK though. 

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Really dislike this lazy narrative.

At Ewood the fans were brilliant with him, the odd sigh or moan when he misplaced a pass for the umpteenth time like they would with anyone but on the whole he couldn't have asked for a more supportive home crowd.

100%. He couldn’t wish to have a more supportive crowd than he did at rovers. I think a lot of the support was born out of apathy. But for a player who cost £7 million and the ramifications that came with it putting in the type of performances he did for a good couple of years he’d have got absolute dogs at most clubs in the top 2 divisions. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The financial benefits of hanging on for a year so you can go on a free as opposed to just being transferred are massive. I would imagine your agent will be negotiating a large chunk of a potential transfer fee into the players bank account.

But he lost a whole year at the higher income and run the risk of getting a serious injury. Just seems a strange thing to turn down a move up a division.

I reckon if we accepted a bid from a top tier side he would have have moved, but no way to be sure.

2 hours ago, roverblue said:

I hope under Broughton the days of letting players leave for free is over. He’s been very vocal on the subject and a raft of players have all signed long term deals under him.

I think they brought him in precisely to stop the nonsense we saw in recent seasons where £20-30m of players all left for nothing.

But it was Venkys that allowed money to fritter away by rejecting bids. Even since Broughton joined, we had bids for Brereton turned down above his head. Until they stop meddling, that risk is always there.

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

At Ewood the fans were brilliant with him, the odd sigh or moan when he misplaced a pass for the umpteenth time like they would with anyone but on the whole he couldn't have asked for a more supportive home crowd.

I think it's all based on that one match where his substitution was greeted with ironic cheers, after he'd had a particularly poor game. There was then a report that came out claiming he was seen crying on the bench - which was a total fabrication. Unfortunately when it comes to misinformation being spread people tend to remember the first thing they read, as opposed to the future fact-checking proving it to be nonsense.

• Like 3

From a few pissed up away fans, had fantastic support at home considering just how poor a £7million signing he looked for such a long period of time.

Great support, as always, though ‘Ewood’s a jury’ and all that. 🙄

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Rovers support was very patient with Ben. Chris Brown became a parody. Back in the day Ken Beamish's misses generated a chant to taunt opposition strikers with.

Funny you should mention that. Even my mum who knows little about football described her own grandsons penalty a fortnight ago as a Beamo.

I knew what she meant though - 3 foot over the crossbar. 🙈

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

the rovers fans could see he had some ability and were willing him to show it,mowbray should have sent him on loan when he first signed him because he was`nt ready for the grind of the championship

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But it was Venkys that allowed money to fritter away by rejecting bids. Even since Broughton joined, we had bids for Brereton turned down above his head. Until they stop meddling, that risk is always there.

Genuinely can't remember any bids only talk I can think of was Everton preparing a bid but then they signed Maulpey instead 

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I remember him leaving the field in tears at one point (someone posted that on here) and although it was probably the minority, I’m afraid some did turn on him.

Edited by lraC

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I think it's all based on that one match where his substitution was greeted with ironic cheers, after he'd had a particularly poor game. There was then a report that came out claiming he was seen crying on the bench - which was a total fabrication. Unfortunately when it comes to misinformation being spread people tend to remember the first thing they read, as opposed to the future fact-checking proving it to be nonsense.

I remember distinctly on here, a number of posters suggesting that the matches behind closed doors, helped to rebuild his confidence, which was allegedly affected at the time, due to a minority, getting to him. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

From a few pissed up away fans, had fantastic support at home considering just how poor a £7million signing he looked for such a long period of time.

Great support, as always, though ‘Ewood’s a jury’ and all that. 🙄

Agreed, it was very much the minority, which is probably the case too with the Villareal fans.

12 minutes ago, lraC said:

I remember him leaving the field in tears at one point (someone posted that on here) and although it was probably the minority, I’m afraid some did turn on him.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lraC said:

It's a complete myth that he was in tears. He got substituted in an FA Cup game at Birmingham in what was an abject performance by nearly all the players, not just him. He was so disappointed with his display that he held his head in his hands when he sat down. That was told to me by somebody who was in the technical area at the time. There were cheers when he went off from a few Rovers fans, that few that I doubt it was barely audible from the technical area. In general Rovers fans showed more than enough patience with him as he struggled to make his mark. It was Mowbray who actually banished him to the under 21's for a game or two to try and build his confidence.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, lraC said:

I remember distinctly on here, a number of posters suggesting that the matches behind closed doors, helped to rebuild his confidence, which was allegedly affected at the time, due to a minority, getting to him. 

Based on the summer transfer thread I wouldn't believe much 'ITK' stuff posted on here tbh. If Unleaded said it then fair enough, otherwise I'm inclined to assume it was guesswork or mischief making.

Brereton's confidence was down because he wasn't playing well at the time. He wasn't the only one. The Chile call up and adventure gave him a big boost in confidence and motivation, which gave us the purple patches we saw from him. I doubt the reaction of a handful of fans at the ground had any significant impact on him. In the absence of Brereton (or anybody credible) coming out and saying otherwise, I don't think there's much more to it than that. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any real evidence to support the narrative that Rovers' fans made him cry and wrecked his confidence. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, DE. said:

Based on the summer transfer thread I wouldn't believe much 'ITK' stuff posted on here tbh. If Unleaded said it then fair enough, otherwise I'm inclined to assume it was guesswork or mischief making.

Brereton's confidence was down because he wasn't playing well at the time. He wasn't the only one. The Chile call up and adventure gave him a big boost in confidence and motivation, which gave us the purple patches we saw from him. I doubt the reaction of a handful of fans at the ground had any significant impact on him. In the absence of Brereton (or anybody credible) coming out and saying otherwise, I don't think there's much more to it than that. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any real evidence to support the narrative that Rovers' fans made him cry and wrecked his confidence. 

That performance at Birmingham, made me cry. 

23 hours ago, lraC said:

So, you don't remember him leaving the field in tears. You remember somebody else claiming it happened. If they weren't lying/exaggerating, they could also just be mistaken. They'd need very good eyesight to spot tears at that distance, unlike the person Arbitro mentioned who was in the technical area.

• Like 6

On 12/10/2023 at 16:20, bluebruce said:

So, you don't remember him leaving the field in tears. You remember somebody else claiming it happened. If they weren't lying/exaggerating, they could also just be mistaken. They'd need very good eyesight to spot tears at that distance, unlike the person Arbitro mentioned who was in the technical area.

That’s quite correct and I do stand to be corrected on the matter. Cheers.

• Like 1