BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 minute ago, 47er said:

I thought that when Mowbray came, we had a plan to gradually build up the squad over a few years and make it to the Premier League.

Instead we allowed contracts to wind down, couldn't afford to replace those we lost with same quality and have virtually given away half a potential EPL team ( I'm including Ash Philips in this).

The result is we are farther away from promotion than ever, we are struggling to avoid relegation to Div 1, there is no plan, no money and no hope under these owners.

Just get behind the lads FFS!!!

I still don't think he's good enough to do it regularly in the prem but I'm not surprised he can get a goal or two for the league's bottom club. I'm not sure where it will go from there. Glad it's working out but would he get a game anywhere else?

BBD has made just 5 appearances for SU in the PL, scored 4 with 1 assist.

347 minutes played in the PL or 87 minutes per goal.

It's a tiny sample but not too shabby when playing for a basket case PL outfit.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

I still don't think he's good enough to do it regularly in the prem but I'm not surprised he can get a goal or two for the league's bottom club. I'm not sure where it will go from there. Glad it's working out but would he get a game anywhere else?

Maybe back to Sevilla to give it another go ? Sounds like he never really came to terms with Spain though.

12 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

I don't think he'll struggle for offers at all, he's done easily enough for a promoted club, or a Palace/Everton etc to be interested. Back to Forest might be a shout if they stay up

Karlan Grant, Josh Sargent, Joe Rothwell (30 appearances), Adam Armstrong, Ellis Simms, Che Adams etc have all had their moments in the Premier League and find themselves playing Championship football. It will take more than 5 appearances and 4 goals for me to say he's made it there but the early signs are better for him. I'd still be surprised if he becomes a regular starter for any Premier League side above the bottom 3.

• Like 2

Just now, Ghost7 said:

Karlan Grant, Josh Sargent, Joe Rothwell (30 appearances), Adam Armstrong, Ellis Simms, Che Adams etc have all had their moments in the Premier League and find themselves playing Championship football. It will take more than 5 appearances and 4 goals for me to say he's made it there but the early signs are better for him. I'd still be surprised if he becomes a regular starter for any Premier League side above the bottom 3.

I was responding more to "I'm not sure where it will go from there". Whether he "makes it" as a consistent Prem performer remains to be seen, I just don't think he'll struggle for offers

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 47er said:

I thought that when Mowbray came, we had a plan to gradually build up the squad over a few years and make it to the Premier League.

Instead we allowed contracts to wind down, couldn't afford to replace those we lost with same quality and have virtually given away half a potential EPL team ( I'm including Ash Philips in this).

The result is we are farther away from promotion than ever, we are struggling to avoid relegation to Div 1, there is no plan, no money and no hope under these owners.

That's why some of us called out all this journey talk bollocks right from the beginning despite TM doing his pied piper job with 2/3rds of the fanbase.

Reason being we knew it would never work under this ownership and something always comes along to throw a spanner in the works.  Just like talk of 'models' was time buying pie in the sky, unfortunate Dack got injured as he might have kicked off the trading model but we all knew deep down anyway that money would disappear quicker than Tony could say ' bag of revels'.

The signing, handling and subsequent losing of Brereton sums up this ownership better than anything, complete farce.

• Like 3

Brereton should have been our "meal ticket" really

When you spend £7m on a player the expectation will always be high. That hampered him early doors. The contract should have been renewed though. You can't leave such an asset to within 18 months of his contract before starting to negotiate

I do understand why they didn't sell him for the £8m offered, but really being in that position was criminal. We should have got £20m+ for him during that season. And we would have done, had we offered a contract earlier

• Like 5

16 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

BBD has made just 5 appearances for SU in the PL, scored 4 with 1 assist.

347 minutes played in the PL or 87 minutes per goal.

It's a tiny sample but not too shabby when playing for a basket case PL outfit.

Really quite impressive when you consider how atrocious Sheffield have been in the Prem this season.

The boy has clearly always had talent, but is a massive confidence player.
Pleasing to see him doing well at the top level.

The only shame, of course, is that we didn't make the money that we should from him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

When you spend £7m on a player the expectation will always be high. That hampered him early doors. The contract should have been renewed though. You can't leave such an asset to within 18 months of his contract before starting to negotiate

I do understand why they didn't sell him for the £8m offered, but really being in that position was criminal. We should have got £20m+ for him during that season. And we would have done, had we offered a contract earlier

We would have never got £20m for him. £8m was a good offer that we had to take, it wasnt even as if it was mid season.

Edited by roversfan99

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We would have never got £20m for him. £8m was a good offer that we had to take, it wasnt even as if it was mid season.

Yes we could have

He is young, English and could score. He was going to get goals at this level. You sign a player like that on a longer contract, his worth goes up. If it wasn't that year, it would have been the one after

£8m wasn't a good offer

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

£8m wasn't a good offer

Also to factor in that we have just brought in a new footballing management structure with a DoF and GB plus no recruitment staff either that summer. 

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We've paid £12M for Brereton and Gallagher and its odds-on we'll receive nothing for both. This is incompetence of the highest order. I can't think of any other club currently making such a balls-up of it.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yes we could have

He is young, English and could score. He was going to get goals at this level. You sign a player like that on a longer contract, his worth goes up. If it wasn't that year, it would have been the one after

£8m wasn't a good offer

We definitely should have tried to get him signed up long term, even though it was only his penultimate season in which he went from bang average to one of the leading scorers, we should have signed him up during the covid season to protect his value, Venkys seemed to tighten the pursestrings around that time so maybe that was the issue.

But even with a new deal, I dont think 20 plus was realistic. And seeing as we couldnt get him signed up for whatever reason, £8m was a substantial amount to turn down and money down the drain, a totally ridiculous decision from our terrible owners. It could have really helped Tomasson and also have left us with more of a squad longer term.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We definitely should have tried to get him signed up long term, even though it was only his penultimate season in which he went from bang average to one of the leading scorers, we should have signed him up during the covid season to protect his value, Venkys seemed to tighten the pursestrings around that time so maybe that was the issue.

But even with a new deal, I dont think 20 plus was realistic. And seeing as we couldnt get him signed up for whatever reason, £8m was a substantial amount to turn down and money down the drain, a totally ridiculous decision from our terrible owners. It could have really helped Tomasson and also have left us with more of a squad longer term.

Or on the other hand the £8 million could have gone in their arse pocket, never to be seen again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

20 million for a young, fully-contracted English player scoring as many goals as he was in the Championship is perfectly normal, I'm not sure where you're deriving that verdict. We got almost as much as that for Armstrong with a year left on his deal.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2024 at 07:53, 47er said:

We've paid £12M for Brereton and Gallagher and its odds-on we'll receive nothing for both. This is incompetence of the highest order. I can't think of any other club currently making such a balls-up of it.

Add Philips to the list for a miserly £2M and Finneran for nothing (likely) and there's the set.

What have we become?

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Add Philips to the list for a miserly £2M and Finneran for nothing (likely) and there's the set.

What have we become?

The same as every EFL club?

The system is slanted so that the PL clubs can steal our Academy players for pennies on the dollar if they identify them early enough. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 47er said:

What have we become?

A FU shadow of what we were and should be, with no end to the nightmare in sight. It's just on a continuous loop.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The same as every EFL club?

In theory yes but we are producing more than our share of good young footballers through the good work our Academy. More than we did when we were Premier League!

But we don't see much benefit. Its totally unfair.

Let’s be real, the vast majority of posters here would have been up in arms if we’d offered Brereton a new contract before him unexpectedly coming along in the 21/22 season, and then it was likely too late with him (correctly) envisaging a golden ticket to somewhere even higher in the pecking order than a lower half PL club with his contract running down. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

In theory yes but we are producing more than our share of good young footballers through the good work our Academy. More than we did when we were Premier League!

But we don't see much benefit. Its totally unfair.

We're not - the difference is we're in the Championship, so our Academy graduates are good enough to play for the first team. 

The PL teams were much, much better than the standard on show at Ewood these days.

6 hours ago, Commondore said:

Let’s be real, the vast majority of posters here would have been up in arms if we’d offered Brereton a new contract before him unexpectedly coming along in the 21/22 season, and then it was likely too late with him (correctly) envisaging a golden ticket to somewhere even higher in the pecking order than a lower half PL club with his contract running down. 

Again, why would protecting assets with sensible contract management be affected by what random fans might think?

The time to do it was during the covid season when he became a decent player but prior to his real breakthrough as a goalscorer. Maybe it didnt happen due to the owners cutting back during covid. So plan B should have been to accept the bids that came with a year left on his deal.