BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His wages were too high for us. 

Marriott isnt a player like Graham so we have to change style like we had when Armstrong or Brereton play there

How do you know that?

And your second point makes no sense. As you say, we have to change to fit Brereton/Armstrong in, why is that ok but not for Marriott?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know that?

And your second point makes no sense. As you say, we have to change to fit Brereton/Armstrong in, why is that ok but not for Marriott?

It’s a fact, actually came from Waggot, wages were far above Rovers budget, even though we are paying top dollar for Brereton his wages are nowhere near Marriotts, can’t compete with Derby,Boro West Brom etc with wages, ffp and all that.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

His wages were too high for us. Really?  Would you like to share Rovers' remuneration policy with us all?

Marriott isnt a player like Graham so we have to change style like we had when Armstrong or Brereton play there Your point is baffling and contradictory.  IMV, Armstrong can't play that role, Brereton is not good enough to play that role (and as Mowbray wont play him there, he would seem to think the same).  Marriott v Brereton is a no brainer.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know that?

Unsall has answered this below. 

Just now, unsall said:

It’s a fact, actually came from Waggot, wages were far above Rovers budget, even though we are paying top dollar for Brereton his wages are nowhere near Marriotts, can’t compete with Derby,Boro West Brom etc with wages, ffp and all that.

Brereton wages would be sensible. Maybe around 10k. Was Marriott's wages around 20k a week? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Unsall has answered this below. 

Brereton wages would be sensible. Maybe around 10k. Was Marriott's wages around 20k a week? 

Maybe quite a bit higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the deal was done, seem to recall Posh owner stating wages 'were big' but certainly not £20k!!

How much do you think Charlie & Bradley are on?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Ive not seen any Waggott quotes about Marriott. Ill have to take your word for it.

But them wages are total guesses?

People do talk to Mowbray, the players and Waggott before/after games, at meetings and special events. 

Thats why I use maybe and a question mark. 

Speaking of summer transfer targets.

It’ll be interesting to see that Luke Freeman in the flesh on Saturday, thought he was excellent against Villa last week, he was playing some kind of antiquated ‘winger’ role...

Edited by Mattyblue

• Moderation Lead

Whilst we could probably find out the wages of those players if we were to use a well-known search engine on the device we are posting on, I highly doubt Mowbray is discussing any of his player's salaries with fans at special events!

If my boss talked about what I was earning even with me there, I wouldn't be happy!

Edited by K-Hod

14 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Without wanting to bang on about it, I see Marriott is now banging them in, said at the time he and Edwards should’ve been brought in. Would’ve made a lot more sense than this deal. Marriott would’ve been a great dg 2

Excellent player, still a bit of a gamble if he could do it in this league, but looks like he can, but honestly we certainly went for him, if fact  after Peterborough played at Ewood, Waggot asked Barry Fry about 3 of their players, Marriott, Edwards and Maddison, that from the horses mouth, Marriots’s wages or what he wanted, ruled us out straight away, think the reason Edwards didn’t come was TM was confident Harry Chapman was coming, similar players, Maddison no idea, pretty certain he was going somewhere but very surprised he stayed at Peterborough.

Edited by unsall

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ive not seen any Waggott quotes about Marriott. Ill have to take your word for it.

But them wages are total guesses?

18 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Whilst we could probably find out the wages of those players if we were to use a well-known search engine on the device we are posting on, I highly doubt Mowbray is discussing any of his player's salaries with fans at special events!

If my boss talked about what I was earning even with me there, I wouldn't be happy!

You’re right Mowbray gives little away, but others are a little more candid, not been told exact wages, but told roughly what Marriott and a couple of other strikers we were after wanted and it was very big bucks.

Problem for Rovers is we can’t compete with wages, with Derby,Boro,WBA,Stoke,Swansea and Villa mainly due to their parachute payments crowds etc, transfer fee not a problem, but we are middle of the league for wages.

Bit of a strange argument that we couldn’t afford Marriott’s wages.

£2.5m fee plus £18pw for 5 years is still less than we are about to flush on Brereton - excluding wages!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jack-marriott-fee-derby-county-1858174

Admittedly that was 2 min research and maths. Have I missed something?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, unsall said:

Excellent player, still a bit of a gamble if he could do it in this league, but looks like he can, but honestly we certainly went for him, if fact  after Peterborough played at Ewood, Waggot asked Barry Fry about 3 of their players, Marriott, Edwards and Maddison, that from the horses mouth, Maddison’s wages or what he wanted, ruled us out straight away, think the reason Edwards didn’t come was TM was confident Harry Chapman was coming, similar players, Maddison no idea, pretty certain he was going somewhere but very surprised he stayed at Peterborough.

Scored and MOM against Chelsea last night. 

Dont buy the wages/fee argument with Marriott if we went for him. Was previously a L1 player earning peanuts at Peterborough. We could certainly have afforded him - It was possibly more the fact that he knew Derby went for him and he saw them as more attractive and better prepared to make an assault to get to the Premiership. 

As for the other two, Maddisson and Edwards, they are wingers and we all know that TM prefers inverted/converted strikers. 

What sort of contract was Rhodes on when we snapped him up from L1? I certainly doubt he was on the reportedly 35k-40k per week he finished on and would have been remunerated well enough until he proved he could score goals in the Championship - which he did quite quickly and therefore got an extension and wage rise. 

Cannot see Marriotts wages being huge even for our current wage structure seeing as he had one good season in L1 prior. I bet Dack, Graham, Evans and Mulgrew earn more than him currently. That could change if he keeps banging the in of course.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The likes of Nugent, Huddlestone, Scott Carson et al will be on serious money for this league. So no doubt they’d beat us on wages.

I’m just not having that Brereton has come here for peanuts.

Not disagreeing, but we would not even be in the hunt anyway as soon as Derby would have shown an interest. i doubt they are paying more than what we would have offered, just that they are seen as a bigger fish right now in this division. 

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not when he's buying 600k houses he isn't ....

I was thinking he'd be on a very modest wage to start with but if they've thrown money at him to get him here then we are going around in the same circles again i'm afraid.

He’s been here 6 weeks - on 10k a week + a decent signing fee, you’d have plenty of deposit for a 600k house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Bit of a strange argument that we couldn’t afford Marriott’s wages.

£2.5m fee plus £18pw for 5 years is still less than we are about to flush on Brereton - excluding wages!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jack-marriott-fee-derby-county-1858174

Admittedly that was 2 min research and maths. Have I missed something?

The whole wage structure has changed,no more massive wages, but decent wages, compete with over half of clubs in league but won’t go silly, to be honest they had to do it, with no parachute payments smallish crowds, ffp etc.

1 hour ago, unsall said:

You’re right Mowbray gives little away, but others are a little more candid, not been told exact wages, but told roughly what Marriott and a couple of other strikers we were after wanted and it was very big bucks.

An old, old trick of 'managing' the fans.  Don't buy everything you are told!!!

58 minutes ago, Biz said:

He’s been here 6 weeks - on 10k a week + a decent signing fee, you’d have plenty of deposit for a 600k house.

On a £7million+ deal, any half decent agent would have ensured Brereton wouldn't need a mortgage for a £600k house!!!

I would be extremely surprised if Brereton is earning much less, if anything, than Marriott.  You don't buy a Merc and put remoulds on!

Edited by Mercer