BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Absolutly nothing to support that sweeping statement Mercer.

Results and transfer dealings have been good since Mowbray arrived, we've seen vast improvements on the playing side, club stability excellent.

We lost to Bpools main rivals, bad day at the office, nothing more and we move on.

We all have our different opinions.

Think Mowbray's all round tack record with us is very mixed.

Okay, he inherited a mess from Coyley but should still have kept us up.  IMV, his tactics and negativity turned too many winning positions into draws and too many draws into losses.  Think tactically, he tries to be too clever, maybe thinking he's a 'Pep' - in reality, I think tactically he's all over the place and suffers badly from square pegs in round holes syndrome.

Brought us back at first attempt but we were the best resourced club in an absolute p i  s s  poor Div 1 and it would have been a huge failure if he hadn't.

Transfer dealings again mixed.  Obviously, Dack is the diamond signing but too many Harts, Gladwins and Joe Averages.  The Brereton deal looks one almighty clanger to me.

Said it before, I think Mowbray is a steady Eddie at best and not the man to return us to the promised land.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

Okay, he inherited a mess from Coyley but should still have kept us up.  IMV, his tactics and negativity turned too many winning positions into draws and too many draws into losses.  Think tactically, he tries to be too clever, maybe thinking he's a 'Pep' - in reality, I think tactically he's all over the place and suffers badly from square pegs in round holes syndrome.

Brought us back at first attempt but we were the best resourced club in an absolute p i  s s  poor Div 1 and it would have been a huge failure if he hadn't.

Transfer dealings again mixed.  Obviously, Dack is the diamond signing but too many Harts, Gladwins and Joe Averages.  The Brereton deal looks one almighty clanger to me.

Said it before, I think Mowbray is a steady Eddie at best and not the man to return us to the promised land.

yes your mate Coyley? yes such a good manager isn't he? 

transfer dealings again mixed? abit like your predictions and betting dealings? :lol: Pleased you aren't in charge of my money :D

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

disagree on Bell being bad all season or both being crap. Williams was awful yesterday. 

Yes I disagree with the team selected but the team Mowbray selected would have understandable if he played Armstrong up front and Palmer or Dack wide left. fair enough. 

Read Mowbray views on when he played that formation and understand it. 

Do you class Armstrong a wide player/striker or as a striker? 

Neither are much cop really, Williams was awful but Bell has been a weakness all season.

Armstrong was very effective as a wide man last season, he has been crap this season bar 2 games (Rotherham and Leeds) and he wouldnt be in the team for me.

He certainly should be above midfielders in terms of the pecking order to be a striker however, but as Graham wasnt fit yesterday to start apparently, Brereton has to start. The 7m striker Mowbray was able to buy.

I certainly wouldnt play Dack wide at any point. Best player, in best position. While there is an onus for him to improve himself, hes not being helped playing as essentially a striker, and hes not being helped by us constantly playing long ball. Play through the lines, get him on the ball, and get him playing off a striker.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we had 4 great chances 1st half half, and 3 second half which we scored 1. 

Yes you say poor prep when we lose but you don't come on when the prep has been excellent like home wins against Brentford and Leeds United

Mowbray has mention trying to change us to passing style type of game which is fair enough but then players like Rodwell and Rothwell need to play. 

Dack is being man marked out of game. Pearson did a job on him yesterday 

If Armstrong is going to play wide then we are short but Brereton should be playing up front

He may have mentioned changing us to a passing style, but I have not seen any signs at all that that is the case.

We have played the most long balls in the division, even though we dont have the personnel to do so.

We have also scored 5 goals in 9 games at home from open play. 

Even when we dont play strikers, we still lump it long too often, often at the giant Kasey Palmer.

You mention 2 players in Rothwell and Rodwell, he seems very reluctant to phase them in to the midfield ahead of more conservative selections.

We are not an entertaining side to watch going forward in the main. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes your mate Coyley? yes such a good manager isn't he? 

transfer dealings again mixed? abit like your predictions and betting dealings? :lol: Pleased you aren't in charge of my money :D

Chaddy, you should be more open minded and less blinkered!  Coyley did well at St Johnstone, Burnley and initially at Bolton - since his second season at Bolton it's all gone very wrong for him.  

Keep telling you, betting on Rovers is for fun only - winnings are a bonus and losses are covered many times over from Sports Trading.  I'd get you a cracking return on your money, it's part of my job!

Edited by Mercer

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Chaddy, you should be more open minded and less blinkered!  Coyley did well at St Johnstone, Burnley and initially at Bolton - since his second season at Bolton it's all gone very wrong for him.  

Keep telling you, betting on Rovers is for fun only - winnings are a bonus and losses are covered many times over from Sports Trading.  I'd get you a cracking return on your money, it's part of my job!

Please stop calling him Coyley!!!!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yes it all went wrong. Failed at Bolton, Wigan,Blackburn Rovers, the MLS team he managed and Ross County. 

You aint coming anywhere near my money. 

28 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You slagged off Mowbray and his backroom staff, this after 1 promotion, a superb home record, club stability, the best team spirit since Hughes was here and a £20m pound midfielder on the books, it's absolute bunkum, lazy even.

Mowbray has worked wonders in his time here so far, he took WBA out of this league as champions, so to say he's not got it is wide of the mark.

He may well fail here, who knows, but the fans that go to games are enjoying the experience again, I certainly am, and that is on no all part down to Mowbray, the players he's assembled and his backroom staff.

• Like 3

Coyle is a bum a typical football mercenary who probably thanks his lucky stars everyday he was able to stay on the gravy train as long as he has. Level is lower Scottish standard he somehow massively over achieved in dingleville an opinion held even by their lot.  Very quickly found out when he did his judas act and went to Bolton and again their fans had him sussed pretty quickly but he had a pass for a while being a popular ex player.

Some of the tales from ALL his clubs about his coaching methods and lack of prep ate embarrassing in the modern football world.

Clown !

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't think brereton is a clanger but it's bizarre how he is being utilised. Agree with rest

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Neither are much cop really, Williams was awful but Bell has been a weakness all season.

Armstrong was very effective as a wide man last season, he has been crap this season bar 2 games (Rotherham and Leeds) and he wouldnt be in the team for me.

He certainly should be above midfielders in terms of the pecking order to be a striker however, but as Graham wasnt fit yesterday to start apparently, Brereton has to start. The 7m striker Mowbray was able to buy.

I certainly wouldnt play Dack wide at any point. Best player, in best position. While there is an onus for him to improve himself, hes not being helped playing as essentially a striker, and hes not being helped by us constantly playing long ball. Play through the lines, get him on the ball, and get him playing off a striker.

He may have mentioned changing us to a passing style, but I have not seen any signs at all that that is the case.

We have played the most long balls in the division, even though we dont have the personnel to do so.

We have also scored 5 goals in 9 games at home from open play. 

Even when we dont play strikers, we still lump it long too often, often at the giant Kasey Palmer.

You mention 2 players in Rothwell and Rodwell, he seems very reluctant to phase them in to the midfield ahead of more conservative selections.

We are not an entertaining side to watch going forward in the main. 

my opinion is different. agree to disagree? 

last season is last season. This season Armstrong has been very poor. 

I've said that Brereton should start now haven't I? 

Dack is being man marked out of game and he is very easy to mark out of games like Norwood and Pearson have done for their club. We are playing long balls cos Dack is man marked so well, so playing him wide even for 10-15 mins spell would the opposition a different problem. 

I know the stats about long balls. 

I don't know why Rothwell isn't playing from the start. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Youd be better off moving nyambe over left so he can cut in and shoot when he attacks...then put young Travis in at RB.  Nyambe is a better player than Williams and Bell and would be ok there....his recovery is great.

People are complaining about square pegs into round holes (playing people in positions because they can just about play there) and you come up with rectangular pegs in round holes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

last season is last season. This season Armstrong has been very poor.  There is a huge difference between Championship and Division 1 in terms of quality and overall competitiveness - think Armstrong struggling to come to terms with that.

I've said that Brereton should start now haven't I?   Agree - starting at Wigan as a centre forward.

Dack is being man marked out of game and he is very easy to mark out of games like Norwood and Pearson have done for their club. We are playing long balls cos Dack is man marked so well, so playing him wide even for 10-15 mins spell would the opposition a different problem.  Dack has to handle that, the clever players find a way through.  His value will be falling rapidly, clubs watching him will have noted.

I don't know why Rothwell isn't playing from the start. Agree - like the look of the lad, can see a spark there (unlike I can with Brereton)

Well that was embarrassing. I work in Preston so not looking forward to Monday morning.

I came away from the fans consultation meeting on Thursday full of admiration for Mowbray and convinced he was the best man for the job - and then he comes up with that brain-fart of a team selection. Total blame is on him for complete nonsense idea that nobody else would have come up with. Unbelievable.

Even after the fillip of the goal at the start of the second half we continued to give a Coylesque performance. It was the team selection that had set the scene and reduced confidence.

On Thursday Mowbray said quite categorically, on and off the record, that Brereton is not ready to play down the middle due to his lack of upper body strength, inability to hold the ball up or turn defenders. I am convinced he was not Mowbray's choice when he was signed ( See Ben Brereton thread for full discussion). Venky's playing some sort of Moneyball game in my opinion.

Very, very disappointed with that performance- players to some extent but mainly by Mowbray.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

my opinion is different. agree to disagree? 

last season is last season. This season Armstrong has been very poor. 

I've said that Brereton should start now haven't I? 

Dack is being man marked out of game and he is very easy to mark out of games like Norwood and Pearson have done for their club. We are playing long balls cos Dack is man marked so well, so playing him wide even for 10-15 mins spell would the opposition a different problem. 

I know the stats about long balls. 

I don't know why Rothwell isn't playing from the start. 

My points werent necessarily opposing yours. Just my opinions on Mowbrays tactics.

I think its very simplistic to suggest that Dack being man marked out of games. It doesnt suit any of our players to play long ball, it doesnt suit Palmer, it doesnt suit Rothwell, it doesnt suit Armstrong and even Graham, against 2 6ft odd centre backs.

Dack is not very easy to mark out of games as he still impacts them with his goals. Whilst he continues to do that, and provide our only consistent source of goals, he has to be the first name on the team sheet, in his natural position.

For all this talk about Mowbray evolving the side to be a passing side, I've not seen any signs of it this season at all. I think the transfer recruitment in the summer brought players that definitely have talent, but overall youd have to say that it has not been a success. Reed has been very good, but otherwise, Mowbray has been too reluctant to modify things to incorporate his new signings. Palmer, Rothwell, Rodwell and Armstrong have all been in and out, 20 minutes here, a start there, but he doesnt seem to trust any of them, nor does he seem to be getting the best from them, and they are potentially players that can help us to evolve. Brereton is the most obvious symbol of a very confusing summer transfer recruitment, not fit for purpose, and at times left out to dry when playing in the wrong position, always as a sub.

I dont think or expect us to suddenly transform into a free flowing, passing side. Nor do I think it would be wise to abandon the effectiveness and the stability of the players that did so well for us last season, the Smallwoods, the Bennetts, the Evans. But with our attacking players, the most long balls in the league, and watching us, the amount of aimless punts forward just screams of brainless football that can be infuriating to watch.

• Backroom

Not sure how much I buy the stuff about Graham not training, Rich Sharpe has him down in his predicted line up so it certainly doesn’t seem something that was mentioned at the presser,  a wildcard tactical gamble that failed.

Edited by Tom

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Well that was embarrassing. I work in Preston so not looking forward to Monday morning.

I came away from the fans consultation meeting on Thursday full of admiration for Mowbray and convinced he was the best man for the job - and then he comes up with that brain-fart of a team selection. Total blame is on him for complete nonsense idea that nobody else would have come up with. Unbelievable.

Even after the fillip of the goal at the start of the second half we continued to give a Coylesque performance. It was the team selection that had set the scene and reduced confidence.

On Thursday Mowbray said quite categorically, on and off the record, that Brereton is not ready to play down the middle due to his lack of upper body strength, inability to hold the ball up or turn defenders. I am convinced he was not Mowbray's choice when he was signed ( See Ben Brereton thread for full discussion). Venky's playing some sort of Moneyball game in my opinion.

Very, very disappointed with that performance- players to some extent but mainly by Mowbray.

If he has said that then he is heading down a path of his stubbornness potentially continuing to create animosity and disagreement with the supporters.

That argument doesnt hold much weight when his primary alternative is to play Bradley Dack and Kasey Palmer in his place when Graham is unavailable.

Your theory may be right in that he made his name at this level as a central striker. He also looks like a fish out of water playing as a wide man.