BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He must be a Prestoner they have many dual club fans it seems !

Mentioned it before but a guy Preston born and bred used to come into the local with his two kids all with PNE shirts on on a Sat evening for something to eat then they'd all turn up for Super Sunday as it was the day after in UTD tops when they were on telly. And he hated Rovers to boot, odd odd bunch.

There's loads of Wigan and united/Liverpool fans up here. 

They started out with the big clubs until Wigan got to the prem. Then they where die hard proud wiganers until relegation. Now they have the big clubs shirts on and sit in the boozer shouting united/Liverpool.

Never have , never will understand it

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Armstrong was very effective as a wide man last season, he has been crap this season bar 2 games (Rotherham and Leeds) and he wouldnt be in the team for me.

He certainly should be above midfielders in terms of the pecking order to be a striker however, but as Graham wasnt fit yesterday to start apparently, Brereton has to start. The 7m striker Mowbray was able to buy.

It really is very strange when you think about it - we now have a side where strikers (Brereton, Armstrong) are preferred in midfield, and midfielders (Dack, Palmer) are used up front. What the hell is that all about?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He must be a Prestoner they have many dual club fans it seems !

Mentioned it before but a guy Preston born and bred used to come into the local with his two kids all with PNE shirts on on a Sat evening for something to eat then they'd all turn up for Super Sunday as it was the day after in UTD tops when they were on telly. And he hated Rovers to boot, odd odd bunch.

If it's a Cantona tattoo, he must have had it done years ago.

Maybe he got disillusioned after his hero left ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Bell has also been at fault for plenty of goals this season just of the top of my head one of the Stoke goals, Leeds, West Brom and Rotherham and they are all in the last 10 games.

Dont remember us getting battered in those games.........errr I think we won most of em....

9 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

On Thursday Mowbray said quite categorically, on and off the record, that Brereton is not ready to play down the middle due to his lack of upper body strength, inability to hold the ball up or turn defenders. 

He doesn't even need to hold the ball up really, he is a prolific diver! Could win us a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas for Mulgrew.

Moreover, why buy any player (let alone for that amount) who you feel doesn't have the attributes to play in the position you ostensibly wanted him for? Sure, strength can be built up in the gym, but probably at the expense of a bit of pace which, whilst he's not lightning, is one of the attributes he does have. Making him a pure target man will also probably take a year or two, if it is feasible, as there is a lot that would need coaching into him (and a lot of things likely to be coached out of him that are assets of his game now).

Target man strikers are not the only kind of forward. Whether TM believes it or not, Brereton IS a forward. He just appears to be a different type of forward to the one TM is willing to play with. So again, WHY has he bought him with the intention of completely changing his game instead of buying another striker who plays the type of game he wants to utilise? 

I'm leaning more to the idea that signing Brereton wasn't really TM's idea.

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He doesn't even need to hold the ball up really, he is a prolific diver! Could win us a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas for Mulgrew.

Moreover, why buy any player (let alone for that amount) who you feel doesn't have the attributes to play in the position you ostensibly wanted him for? Sure, strength can be built up in the gym, but probably at the expense of a bit of pace which, whilst he's not lightning, is one of the attributes he does have. Making him a pure target man will also probably take a year or two, if it is feasible, as there is a lot that would need coaching into him (and a lot of things likely to be coached out of him that are assets of his game now).

Target man strikers are not the only kind of forward. Whether TM believes it or not, Brereton IS a forward. He just appears to be a different type of forward to the one TM is willing to play with. So again, WHY has he bought him with the intention of completely changing his game instead of buying another striker who plays the type of game he wants to utilise? 

I'm leaning more to the idea that signing Brereton wasn't really TM's idea.

Good post, another thing on what youve put in the third paragraph. If his logic is that he wants a target man and wont play Brereton as he doesnt have the attributes to play that role in terms of his hold up play. That sort of logic is totally shattered when much smaller attacking midfielders are chosen ahead of him.

Brereton is obviously rough around the edges but hes not a total novice in that hes had over a season of experience in this division and gained the reputation through playing centrally in the main.

• Like 1

Watched the game Saturday, Horror show of defending, and if we Nyambe/Lenihan start any more games like that, it won’t matter who is playing up front.

Refreshing to see honestly from the manager/players because (despite our poor defending) we had enough chances to get something, created enough going forward. Lamenting bad luck would’ve been a bit much!

Gutted for B.B. too - since that’s two goals that he’s scored marginally offside. Still hasn’t started a game yet. I expect TM will mix it up for Wednesday.

On 25/11/2018 at 06:47, chaddyrovers said:

I love Mowbray to bits but today he got it wrong at the start. If Graham wasnt fit enough then play Armstrong or Brereton there not Palmer. Its annoyed at kick off time seeing how they line up on the pitch

Finally, an actual opinion of your own - welcome to the real world !

• Like 1

What about that last Preston goal? As someone else said it was a case of 2 attackers against 4 defenders and a keeper!

How could they possibly score with ease from there? One defender rightly went wide to prevent the cross which left 3 supposedly marking the central striker.

In fact the wide man looked up, chipped the ball on to an unmarked head and the striker had the easiest job in the world to convert!

All this from just a few yards out from the goal-line!

How can that be remotely possible? I just can't get my head around it.

With defending like that we have no hope.

I’m dismayed enough 47er thank you. 

However, if we must dissect - and there are good arguments about offside decisions ( or not) the fact is an average side like PNE managed to score two goals in the first ten - and two more afterwards. That’s quite a disgraceful performance if we are honest and especially if you’re the manager. It’s just not acceptable. Going into a local derby and falling over like we did is embarrassing. A few of the players went onto twitter to apologise to the fans afterwards, but personally I don’t fall for that. Don’t apologise, that makes no difference. Go out and perform a whole lot better than that, - that’s your answer. Just do it. Get on with it and that includes Mowbray.

I believe you can. I believe you are better than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

What about that last Preston goal? As someone else said it was a case of 2 attackers against 4 defenders and a keeper!

How could they possibly score with ease from there? One defender rightly went wide to prevent the cross which left 3 supposedly marking the central striker.

In fact the wide man looked up, chipped the ball on to an unmarked head and the striker had the easiest job in the world to convert!

All this from just a few yards out from the goal-line!

How can that be remotely possible? I just can't get my head around it.

With defending like that we have no hope.

The fourth goal was the worst of the lot, a total clusterfuck. I think the players had lost heart and focus by then.

Mulgrew didn't take up the number 9 who set it up - that was fine, as his movement was fine at first as he had to watch for the goalscorer's run too. But then if you watch it back, once the cross goes in, he does a strange run (more of a jog really, total lack of urgency) to the byline, This was why he wasn't at the post in time for when the shot came in.

Lenihan also moves correctly initially, but is caught ball-watching the crosser for too long instead of the goalscorer. When he does clock the goalscorer has peeled off him too far, he runs backwards which slows him down and gives him too much space. Reed is similarly guilty of ball-watching and sauntering a bit, which is unlike him.

Williams just ambles along throughout the whole thing, woefully far from affecting any of it and with a shameful disinterest in doing so. The shot isn't a clean one or powerful at all, and Raya should be able to stop it if he was at his usual high standards. Basically, not one of the five involved did the right thing. I think we do have to account for the fact the game was pretty much out of sight though.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The fourth goal was the worst of the lot, a total clusterfuck. I think the players had lost heart and focus by then.

Mulgrew didn't take up the number 9 who set it up - that was fine, as his movement was fine at first as he had to watch for the goalscorer's run too. But then if you watch it back, once the cross goes in, he does a strange run (more of a jog really, total lack of urgency) to the byline, This was why he wasn't at the post in time for when the shot came in.

Lenihan also moves correctly initially, but is caught ball-watching the crosser for too long instead of the goalscorer. When he does clock the goalscorer has peeled off him too far, he runs backwards which slows him down and gives him too much space. Reed is similarly guilty of ball-watching and sauntering a bit, which is unlike him.

Williams just ambles along throughout the whole thing, woefully far from affecting any of it and with a shameful disinterest in doing so. The shot isn't a clean one or powerful at all, and Raya should be able to stop it if he was at his usual high standards. Basically, not one of the five involved did the right thing. I think we do have to account for the fact the game was pretty much out of sight though.

Williams got bailed out by a great block by Nyambe at 1-0, he'd got completely skinned by their winger. Then was at fault for the third. And didn't cover himself in glory for the fourth. If he's the Steady reliable option at left back then theres no point playing him there, might as well give Bell another go, he's not been great but he's been considerably better than Williams was on Saturday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Williams got bailed out by a great block by Nyambe at 1-0, he'd got completely skinned by their winger. Then was at fault for the third. And didn't cover himself in glory for the fourth. If he's the Steady reliable option at left back then theres no point playing him there, might as well give Bell another go, he's not been great but he's been considerably better than Williams was on Saturday

I tend to judge players on more than one game, and I would still prefer Williams to Bell. That isn't to say that I wouldn't want both replaced with a good left back.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

I tend to judge players on more than one game, and I would still prefer Williams to Bell. That isn't to say that I wouldn't want both replaced with a good left back.

Haven’t seen rovers a lot lately, but for me after Saturdays performance, Williams wouldn’t start at left back again. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a left back taken to the cleaners by average players - as he was against PNE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Williams also completely lost his man for the first, who duly obliged with the goal. The only reason it's not more obvious is because of the camera angle. He had a shocker.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Much like Smallwood in CM, Williams was capable enough last season at LB in a much poorer division, but if we have long term aspirations of getting promoted - as TM claims - players like this need to be phased out and replaced with better. I wouldn't be averse to keeping Williams on as backup but I'm not comfortable with him as a first teamer at this level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DE. said:

Much like Smallwood in CM, Williams was capable enough last season at LB in a much poorer division, but if we have long term aspirations of getting promoted - as TM claims - players like this need to be phased out and replaced with better. I wouldn't be averse to keeping Williams on as backup but I'm not comfortable with him as a first teamer at this level.

That is why we needed to sign 7 players in the summer who could go straight into the first team. We signed none. Apart from Reed on loan.

Edited by Franky

24 minutes ago, Franky said:

That is why we needed to sign 7 players in the summer who could go straight into the first team. We signed none. Apart from Reed on loan.

I think Armstrong was signed with a view to being a regular starter, he's just not come up to scratch so far. Other than that I can't argue too much.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

22 minutes ago, Franky said:

Rothwell could go straight into the first team, he just doesn't get chosen! But basically you're spot on!