BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

6 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

I'm confused, he has over 20 goal contributions this season, similar to his League 1 campaign. He's playing in a tougher division, and still scoring and assisting at a pretty similar rate. In what way is he under-performing?

Plus a lot of folk seem to forget that it's his first season at this level.

He's had a bloody good year for me, the test will be if he can carry on to this level next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No chance of Mulgrew going. Signed up till 2021, decent wedge.

Where would he go?

A Scottish homecoming? 

Or another championship club will take him due to his set pieces and reputation?

Really do hope Evans moves on. He just offers mediocrity. 

• Like 3

Don't get your hopes up, Evans and Mulgrew have only just signed new deals, they will both be here for a while yet, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if both started the first game of next season.

I think Smallwood might be moved on, and I think we'll let Gladwin, big Jase & Downing's contracts all expire. I have a feeling Conway might get another year to keep him around the squad as an option.

I'm pretty sure Samuel will be given a chance to prove himself again at this level, and maybe send Nuttall out on loan to league one for a year?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Biz said:

As for Dack - the standard argument for keeping rhodes (which I agreed with mind) was simply the impact in goals/points, it’s exactly the same as Brad- our most important player!

100%

I don't know. With Rhodes I think the argument that we played worse with him in the team had a lot of truth to it as his allround game was so poor.

Dack on the other hand has virtually everything. Scores, passes, dribbles, creates, decent in the air, strong on the ball, got a bit of pace. He just has inconsistent games . We need to find a way to make him more consistent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CraigF said:

A Scottish homecoming? 

Or another championship club will take him due to his set pieces and reputation?

Really do hope Evans moves on. He just offers mediocrity. 

Considering Conference clubs pay bigger wages than even 3rd place Aberdeen tells me he won't be going up there.

7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

I'm confused, he has over 20 goal contributions this season, similar to his League 1 campaign. He's playing in a tougher division, and still scoring and assisting at a pretty similar rate. In what way is he under-performing?

Have you watched his performances, rather than his stats

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't know. With Rhodes I think the argument that we played worse with him in the team had a lot of truth to it as his allround game was so poor.

Dack on the other hand has virtually everything. Scores, passes, dribbles, creates, decent in the air, strong on the ball, got a bit of pace. He just has inconsistent games . We need to find a way to make him more consistent.

We got Graham in who is a better player than Rhodes no doubt and in the early days whilst on loan he grafted twice as hard and gave another outlet but in truth we didn't play any better.  Still the same deep lying mids and lack of creativity and pace in the other 10 and the following season we got relegated.

Another important thing though with Dack is he brings out the best in DG now his legs are nearly gone and vice versa of course.

Edited by tomphil

9 hours ago, Butty said:

Take it you disagree with DG winning player of the year then Rev seen as you’ve slagged him off all season. Who would you have given it too? 

Elliot Bennett ?  ?

• Like 1

I still have high hopes for Davenport. Burton fans were raving that he was one of the best players to ever play for their club when he was there and that was two seasons ago in the Championship. One of the most highly rated from City's academy too. Think this injury has really knocked him back and its been really unfortunate but i think he'll be competing for a starting spot next season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Well here's a question for you, if he's performed similar to his League 1 campaign his transfer value must have gone up mustn't it? Why does everyone except Biz believe his transfer value has plummeted? Why are we convinced we wouldn't get the £15M WBA reportedly bid for him last close season?

And its only a few days since he massively underperformed at Norwich and that was hardly the odd game out.

I think he's disappointed for much of the season while displaying flashes of the brilliance he showed much more consistently in League 1, which, in my book, makes him less than we thought he was.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No worries. I’m only saying what I hear.

There’s little doubt that the major reason Chapman was seen as an impact sub was a) because his body couldn’t cope with 90 mins and b) because of his age...well he’ll be another year on and they’re working tirelessly to strengthen his body so he can play 90 mins. The feeling is that he will absolutely terrorise defenders for long periods now...

Davenport started and played a full season for Burton and will be two years on from then in September. Injuries have set him back but he’s seen as technically talented and experienced at this level.

Both are seen as young players now ready to impact the first 11. I can’t wait to see Davenport on Sunday. 

I dont think that was the main reason at all, Mowbray repeatedly stated that Chapman needed to learn about the defensive side of the game. Added to his 2 and a half attacker theory and I think thats why

Ultimately he seems to have strayed away from having a defensive winger as a necessity and I think its reaped rewards, I dont think its led to us being defensively worse but we have looked better going forward.

As much as I appreciate that wingers need to do the dirty work, I dont think you can pick wide men based solely on their hard work. 

Dack has shown he can do the business in this league without a doubt but as I stated in the Player of the Year thread, he really needs to knuckle down. He should be winning that award, he won it in League 1 but was quite a way back from DG this time around in my opinion. I just think he needs to grow up a bit - the whole community service thing kinds of shows that he is a bit of a kid really.

Dont want to see another football career that doesn't see its full potential. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No worries. I’m only saying what I hear.

There’s little doubt that the major reason Chapman was seen as an impact sub was a) because his body couldn’t cope with 90 mins and b) because of his age...well he’ll be another year on and they’re working tirelessly to strengthen his body so he can play 90 mins. The feeling is that he will absolutely terrorise defenders for long periods now...

Davenport started and played a full season for Burton and will be two years on from then in September. Injuries have set him back but he’s seen as technically talented and experienced at this level.

Both are seen as young players now ready to impact the first 11. I can’t wait to see Davenport on Sunday. 

Davenport joined them in January 2018 and made 17 appearances in League and Cup and they were relegated at the end of it. He's not experienced and the limited experience he has had was of struggle.

I'm not criticising the lad but he's a long way to go for me before we can pin our Premier ambitions on his shoulders.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 47er said:

Don't be literal!  

There'd be a strong argument that the statistics add a few million on.

Every player has purple patches etc - at worst I honestly don't think he's worth much less let alone "plummeted".

Either way - I don't like putting a selling value on him. Ridiculous idea.

I think with players like Dack certainly at the moment there is a ball park transfer figure that he'll bottom out at given his known ability, age, stats over past two seasons and of course the contract he's on.

For a player like him that there isn't many around like outside the Prem that would probably be about c the 10 mill mark give or take.  Upwards as we've seen it could be anywhere up to 20 but his worth as is to Rovers at the min and taking all that into account surely wouldn't be less than that on a bad day, talk of 5 mill etc is horse dung.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

• Backroom
2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

This is very depressing. He looks totally finished. Think we might end up loaning him to league one and subsidising his wages :(

Doubt he'll be up for another season in League 1. Would imagine he'd rather stay here and wait for a chance. 

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s a difference between being the best ‘footballer’ and being player of the year though. The former is a skill based, purist opinion of how someone plays the beautiful game. The latter is the person who has impacted the most games through Skill, grit, determination etc...

His stats tell you that he has NOT underperformed over a season. His stats are better than our player of the year Graham. But on closer inspection you can see how inconsistent he’s been and allied with his reputation for off the field antics and lifestyle, fans feel underwhelmed. That he’s let them down at times. 

The truth is, if he was able to maintain the type of form he’s shown in patches this season over 40 games and therefore multiply his goals and assists then he wouldn’t play for Blackburn Rovers. He’d be playing in the Premier League.

Yes, there is a difference between being the best footballer and being the best player.Read my post above. You'll find me agreeing with KHod that Dack is the best footballer at the club. But he's not the best player is he? In fact he didn't even make Top Three. Perhaps those who made that decision didn't read the stats!

You would never say Robbie Savage was ever the best footballer but his energy and total commitment often compensated for whatever shortcomings he had.

52 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Was Mowbray at the Awards Night last night? Or was he away in Europe scouting?

Good point JHR but i'm a bit unconvinced about this European thing that's developed. Its only about 6 weeks since TM was  quoted in the LT about needing to think about looking in Europe .Admittedly , there is probably a lot better value there in some cases . But my concern is that 6 weeks ago it sounded like something they were thinking of instigating as a club and now on the back of Norwich's astute dealings him and staff are flying out to Europe. What exactly have they uncovered specifically in that short space of time ? There are many ,many leagues so would be really interesting to say what work the scouting ''team'' have unearthed or is it another 'be seen to be trying routine??''

TM has always struck me as somebody who is big on the team bond /senior player influence yada yada .He hasn't been to India yet so no idea what budget he has got so slightly unconvinced if i'm honest that this is anything more than a cosmetic exercise . Back to the not seen anything better than what we have in our U23's so we will try and develop them situation whilst trying to convince us that signing Bauer on a free is an outstanding piece of business and that we were right all along to wait until the Summer to sign him.

For the first time I have decided not to renew until I know what this all looks like. I can see goals being a real problem next season without a quality signing. Not buying Brereton guys.....sorry!!  Pity , TM didn't say those words!!   

• Like 2