BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Big Summer Clearout

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you agree that it was an incredibly short sighted mistake to give Smallwood and Williams new deals when we got promoted as "rewards." You wont progress with such a lack of ruthlessness. Same with Bennett and Conway.

Did Williams get a new deal?? Completely missed that 

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course they should have a private life, but you give that up if you post your life on Instagram, no?

Dack has been pretty quiet re posting his private life on Insta recently, to be fair.

A mate of mine that lives in DXB posted a photo of him, Dack and Williams. I've seen nothing our players have posted individually alluding to the fact they're away at all.....

McCarthy & Samba were regulars around some Manchester and Cheshire nightspots during their time at Rovers, they're footballers it's what they do. Not saying it's right but its been in the fabric of the English game for generations.

Part and parcel of their profile now is Instagram & twitter I don't doubt that the more posts/ followers/likes/celebrity pals they have the more attractive they become to some sponsors.

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

McCarthy & Samba were regulars around some Manchester and Cheshire nightspots during their time at Rovers, they're footballers it's what they do. Not saying it's right but its been in the fabric of the English game for generations.

Part and parcel of their profile now is Instagram & twitter I don't doubt that the more posts/ followers/likes/celebrity pals they have the more attractive they become to some sponsors.

You hit on the key issue here I feel. McCarthy and Samba got away with it because they and more importantly the club were relatively successful at the time.  Now anything the players do that may be perceive negatively is amplified in fans eyes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah last summer. Bonkers.

God, I must have been so happy with promotion I was oblivious to that.

I will never forget the first half against Portsmouth last season. I never saw a player give the ball away more in a game. That was it for me. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Pedersen was out in Manchester almost daily from what I’d heard.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I was just generally musing on these odd times we live in

Well if the players share stuff themselves they can't complain if people comment on it, HOWEVER, if fans are asking them to pose for pictures that they then share, what are the players supposed to do? Say no to the picture? Then the line is they are rude, or worse. Odd times indeed. 

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you agree that it was an incredibly short sighted mistake to give Smallwood and Williams new deals when we got promoted as "rewards." You wont progress with such a lack of ruthlessness. Same with Bennett and Conway.

no not at all. 

We have debated about our views on Bennett on here and other social media formats and we get nowhere

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

did posted this on Sunday about McCarthy and Samba being in Manchester nightspots

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no not at all. 

We have debated about our views on Bennett on here and other social media formats and we get nowhere

did posted this on Sunday about McCarthy and Samba being in Manchester nightspots

Forget Bennett, specifically Smallwood and Williams who youve said you want rid of. A task made far more difficult by giving them extended deals.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I dont agree. 

Why? Why are they not easier to get rid of now?

I can understand the club dishing a contract out to a Dack or a Graham, your better players because they have options. Where was Smallwood, Williams and Bennet going to go in the summer better than Rovers? 

Rotherham ditched Smallwood. That should tell anyone everything about his level of ability.

You’d have to think that Dack would have to be sold to fund a summer re-building job, especially given the losses we’ve made in our most recent accounts and the punishments dished out for not meeting the new profit and loss rules. 

As much as I don’t want to see Dack leave, he will surely be pushing for a premiere league move. He’s the right age and had an amazing season. If he stays and doesn’t perform so well for us next year or gets an injury, his chance may not come around again. 

I agree with a lot of the posts about players who should be part of a summer clearout. However, I would keep some of the “tryers” - e.g. Smallwood and Conway - around the fringes of the squad next season. There will be certain games and certain times in the season where we will need players who will scrap and fight. You can tell from TM’s recent interviews that he’s getting frustrated with the lack of quality in the squad at the moment. You can do all the work on the training ground and motivate the players, but if they’re not good enough to head and kick the ball away or play a killer pass, then it’s time to look for players who can. That’s the stage TM is at in his thinking. I don’t think you can blame the squad this season for a lack of effort or desire (apart from a tiny number of games perhaps). 

2 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Why? Why are they not easier to get rid of now?

I can understand the club dishing a contract out to a Dack or a Graham, your better players because they have options. Where was Smallwood, Williams and Bennet going to go in the summer better than Rovers? 

Rotherham ditched Smallwood. That should tell anyone everything about his level of ability.

I dont want Bennett to leave at all. Good player for us. 

Lets see what happens in the summer. Maybe Forest might want Williams.

Stubbs Ditched Smallwood. Didnt Warne recalled him? Then he left when out of contract

20 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

You’d have to think that Dack would have to be sold to fund a summer re-building job, especially given the losses we’ve made in our most recent accounts and the punishments dished out for not meeting the new profit and loss rules. 

As much as I don’t want to see Dack leave, he will surely be pushing for a premiere league move. He’s the right age and had an amazing season. If he stays and doesn’t perform so well for us next year or gets an injury, his chance may not come around again. 

I agree with a lot of the posts about players who should be part of a summer clearout. However, I would keep some of the “tryers” - e.g. Smallwood and Conway - around the fringes of the squad next season. There will be certain games and certain times in the season where we will need players who will scrap and fight. You can tell from TM’s recent interviews that he’s getting frustrated with the lack of quality in the squad at the moment. You can do all the work on the training ground and motivate the players, but if they’re not good enough to head and kick the ball away or play a killer pass, then it’s time to look for players who can. That’s the stage TM is at in his thinking. I don’t think you can blame the squad this season for a lack of effort or desire (apart from a tiny number of games perhaps). 

The losses we posted were in effect £7 million greater than they would have been purely because we were in League One and didn't receive Championship level tv income. So knock that off and the losses would have been more like £10-11 million, albeit our wage bill would probably have been higher which might bump it back up a bit, but our commercial and ticketing revenues would also have been higher in the Championship. If nothing else we'd have been able to hand over the DE to Villa, Leeds, PNE etc. whereas last season our biggest away following was only a couple of thousand.

All in all had we been in the Championship last season our losses would have been considerably less than those we had. When we look at losses of £11-12 million those are within FFP regulations and actually better than many other clubs. Well run PNE reached in excess of £7 million. 

I suppose what I'm getting at is Dack doesn't have to be sold to facilitate investment in the team. There are plenty of clubs who have spent more than us, not sold players and have not been sanctioned.

I agree however that the club will be looking at selling him and no doubt pocketing the majority of the balance. Mowbray has already begun to pave the way for that and I suspect he'll be under pressure to deliver a big profit for the owners to keep them on side after no recent major sales and the Brereton fiasco. 

I believe that given the position we are in the only thing that we should be focusing on is radically improving our squad, and the last thing we should be doing is getting rid of Dack or Graham who have shown their value this season. The Telegraph are already working away doing their bit priming readers for a big sale.

Edited by JHRover

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

The losses we posted were in effect £7 million greater than they would have been purely because we were in League One and didn't receive Championship level tv income. So knock that off and the losses would have been more like £10-11 million, albeit our wage bill would probably have been higher which might bump it back up a bit, but our commercial and ticketing revenues would also have been higher in the Championship. If nothing else we'd have been able to hand over the DE to Villa, Leeds, PNE etc. whereas last season our biggest away following was only a couple of thousand.

All in all had we been in the Championship last season our losses would have been considerably less than those we had. When we look at losses of £11-12 million those are within FFP regulations and actually better than many other clubs. Well run PNE reached in excess of £7 million. 

I suppose what I'm getting at is Dack doesn't have to be sold to facilitate investment in the team. There are plenty of clubs who have spent more than us, not sold players and have not been sanctioned.

I agree however that the club will be looking at selling him and no doubt pocketing the majority of the balance. Mowbray has already begun to pave the way for that and I suspect he'll be under pressure to deliver a big profit for the owners to keep them on side after no recent major sales and the Brereton fiasco. 

I believe that given the position we are in the only thing that we should be focusing on is radically improving our squad, and the last thing we should be doing is getting rid of Dack or Graham who have shown their value this season. The Telegraph are already working away doing their bit priming readers for a big sale.

The repeated pattern is what worries me.

Twice previously, in 2011 and 2016, when the team had scraped survival, they recouped money and recruited cheap, leading to relegation the following season.

The summer will say so much.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
35 minutes ago, AshleyClifford said:

I think the idea of the contract extensions was to try and keep a core squad together for a period rather than buying 10 players every summer. 

If we want to progress, we’ll have to. Our squad isn’t good enough as it is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

If we want to progress, we’ll have to. Our squad isn’t good enough as it is.

3-4 quality players, at least, are needed. Good enough to go into the starting 11. I would say for that to happen a lot would have to change this summer compared to practically every other summer 

1 hour ago, AshleyClifford said:

I think the idea of the contract extensions was to try and keep a core squad together for a period rather than buying 10 players every summer. 

The majority were already under contract for  longer than this season. I think Mowbray called the new deals rewards for promotion. And with the new deals will surely have been wage increases. With a couple of exceptions they made no sense at all and have burdened the club with players who aren't good enough for the Championship.

• Like 6