BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

So don't put him on the bench then. If he's not fit to start, he's not fit to play as far as I'm concerned.

Seems you're trying to justify Mowbray's handling of someone he wants rid of. Everything points to that and I don't recall any urgency from the manager to tie him down to another deal. Too late now, he'll be off.

What? This is becoming the new Mowbray "doesn't play young players" 

You have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes with regards his contract. He has started more games than he hasn't under Mowbray I would wager. He had definitely been the most used right back. I have no idea why you would think Mowbray "wants rid". It's not even Mowbray who sits down about contracts, is it? I'm sure someone else at the club does that with Nyambes agent. 

Big ,fast athletic players get muscular injuries regularly. Gareth Bale for example. 

Edit 

Just to add, it's been about the last 4 games only since Nyambe actually started offering something in attack. Although I do really like him,he's not Cafu just yet. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What? This is becoming the new Mowbray "doesn't play young players" 

You have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes with regards his contract. He has started more games than he hasn't under Mowbray I would wager. He had definitely been the most used right back. I have no idea why you would think Mowbray "wants rid". It's not even Mowbray who sits down about contracts, is it? I'm sure someone else at the club does that with Nyambes agent. 

Big ,fast athletic players get muscular injuries regularly. Gareth Bale for example. 

I'll have a tenner with you that he leaves and we hear 'we did everything we could' in the press after just like the Hoilett scenario.

Taking away reasons for not selecting him, if you think that letting a contract run down to 6 months before expiry of a young talent is defendable then fair enough, I don't see it myself.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What would that prove? Maybe his agent told him he could get a move somewhere and no matter what is offered here, he won't sign. 

Yes, like you say, 'we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes' so you are speculating based on what you think, I'm speculating based on what I perceive his treatment by the manager to be (criticism in the press, non selection etc) and past experience (Hoilett).

• Like 2

The most shocking thing about the whole Nyambe situation is that when we last gave him an extension it was just a one year extension. Given that at the time he signed it he was second choice behind Bennett, you'd have to conclude that either Mowbray only wanted to give him a one year extension as he didn't have much faith in him or Nyambe only wanted to sign an extra year because he wasn't getting the game time he deserved. Either way the blame has to lie with the manager. Even now he's only starting every week because JRC is injured.

4 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Yes, like you say, 'we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes' so you are speculating based on what you think, I'm speculating based on what I perceive his treatment by the manager to be (criticism in the press, non selection etc) and past experience (Hoilett).

He has started most games under Mowbray I bet. Not sure he was criticized very much ,but going off his recent performances, maybe it worked. Using Hoilett as "evidence" in this situation doesn't hold up. Different player, different manager, different situation. 

He could sign a contract next week and nobody would be losing their minds due to the sheer surprise of it! We just don't know what's happening with his contract. What we do know is Nyambe is starting and playing well for the manager. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

The most shocking thing about the whole Nyambe situation is that when we last gave him an extension it was just a one year extension. Given that at the time he signed it he was second choice behind Bennett, you'd have to conclude that either Mowbray only wanted to give him a one year extension as he didn't have much faith in him or Nyambe only wanted to sign an extra year because he wasn't getting the game time he deserved. Either way the blame has to lie with the manager. Even now he's only starting every week because JRC is injured.

Of course. Even if Nyambe doesn't want to sign, Mowbray clearly needs to over power him , get a pen in his hand and guide him to sign the contract.

;)

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What we do know is Nyambe is starting and playing well for the manager. 

Which makes it all the more strange that he has not  been tied down to a long term deal.  Even if it's to just get a fee for him.

Classic signs of a player that is leaving.  I'll be shocked but happy if he's turning out next season for us.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of course. Even if Nyambe doesn't want to sign, Mowbray clearly needs to over power him , get a pen in his hand and guide him to sign the contract.

;)

Read the post again. I am talking about the blame lying with the manager for him only signing a 1 year extension in the first place which has led us to this situation.

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

How long have you been a physio man! 

We don’t know for sure exactly who’s fit and when they’re not injured.....

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

The two most recent droppings of Nyambe have been because his confidence was low (Millwall last season) and Wycombe this season when Mowbray left him out 'because his numbers were too high'. His logic was that Nyambe could get injured because he was working too hard. Contrast that to allowing Williams to play after leaving the decision to the player.

Yes those two decisions alone show it clearly is poor treatment of Nayambe. 

And the Williams and others playing when not fully fit kiboshes any idea of it being solely fitness related.

And if you go back even further what about when Caddis was preferred? 

You'd also have a hard time justifying the criticism of Nayambe in the press compared to other players.  

I get not looking for a stick to beat the manager with but I think his treatment of Nayambe is probably one of his clearer cut mistakes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Yes those two decisions alone show it clearly is poor treatment of Nayambe. 

And the Williams and others playing when not fully fit kiboshes any idea of it being solely fitness related.

And if you go back even further what about when Caddis was preferred? 

You'd also have a hard time justifying the criticism of Nayambe in the press compared to other players.  

I get not looking for a stick to beat the manager with but I think his treatment of Nayambe is probably one of his clearer cut mistakes. 

I don’t buy it.

Nyambe has not been “treat badly” in my opinion, at any point of his rovers career.

If he chooses to go abroad for free despite the opportunity and experience he’s been given here, then that says more about him and his agent than our club IMO.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Read the post again. I am talking about the blame lying with the manager for him only signing a 1 year extension in the first place which has led us to this situation.

Do you think we wanted to sign a 22 year old with potential on a 1 year extension or do you think that might have been a result on not being able to agree a full new deal?

I accept some might expect the club to get everything right and hold every card, in every situation -  I would be annoyed but not surprised if the case is about money and Ryan maximising his potential earnings - especially when he’s known for having injuries.

Edited by JBiz

12 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I don’t buy it.

Nyambe has not been “treat badly” in my opinion, at any point of his rovers career.

If he chooses to go abroad for free despite the opportunity and experience he’s been given here, then that says more about him and his agent than our club IMO.

Which bit aren't you buying? I mean I appreciate its different but I cannot see anyone being happy with being called out by their boss when others aren't, nor not being given important pieces of work because of spurious reasons. Do you really think numbers too high and low on confidence are good reasons to drop a player?.I'd also be peeved in work if weaker colleagues gor opportunities I didn't. Genuinely I don't think many people would be happy in that environment. 

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Which bit aren't you buying? I mean I appreciate its different but I cannot see anyone being happy with being called out by their boss when others aren't, nor not being given important pieces of work because of spurious reasons. Do you really think numbers too high and low on confidence are good reasons to drop a player?.I'd also be peeved in work if weaker colleagues gor opportunities I didn't. Genuinely I don't think many people would be happy in that environment. 

I don’t buy that he’s been treated any differently.

What examples can you give to suggest otherwise? If he’s being specifically called out in post match interview regularly, it shouldn’t take you long to prove your point.

losing nyambe,possibly the best right back in the division,for nothing would be a shamefully poor piece of management at all levels of the club,if mowbray is going to replace him with jrc,then we all might as well give it up and forget about ever progressing,nothing against jrc,but he is`nt a full back,in fact i don`t think even mowbray knows his best position

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Do you think we wanted to sign a 22 year old with potential on a 1 year extension or do you think that might have been a result on not being able to agree a full new deal?

If you read my original post I said that it was probably because of one of two reasons why he only signed an extra year. Either Mowbray didn't have much faith in him or Nyambe only wanted to sign an extra year because he wasn't getting the game time he deserved. Lets remember when he signed his extension he was behind Bennett in the pecking order at right back. Even now he is only starting week in and week out because JRC is injured.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I don’t buy it.

I accept some might expect the club to get everything right and hold every card, in every situation -  I would be annoyed but not surprised if the case is about money and Ryan maximising his potential earnings - especially when he’s known for having injuries.

Why would it say more about him and his agent if he chose to move abroad? Im not sure you could hold that against him if he did to further his career.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would it say more about him and his agent if he chose to move abroad? Im not sure you could hold that against him if he did to further his career.

Yea I don’t think any of us could do to be honest. I think it would suggest he and his agent are trying to maximise his next contract - and all of us would probably do something similar 

8 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I don’t buy that he’s been treated any differently.

What examples can you give to suggest otherwise? If he’s being specifically called out in post match interview regularly, it shouldn’t take you long to prove your point.

You are asking me to go through three years plus of match interviews? No chance. Doesn't mean the evidence isn't there but that I have a life. 

The examples.have been stated as being called out in the press, assumed that's common knowledge and has been discussed regularly on here, poor reasons for being dropped (see just a couple of posts above for specifics) and lesser players playing e.g. Caddis. That's a fair bit of evidence.

If you want to check Nayambe's criticisms in the press Vs Bennett say that's fine by me. If you won't accept any evidence until a link has been posted I think there wouldn't be much conversation on this board or in the pub for that matter (when w are allowed back in). 

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You are asking me to go through three years plus of match interviews? No chance. Doesn't mean the evidence isn't there but that I have a life. 

The examples.have been stated as being called out in the press, assumed that's common knowledge and has been discussed regularly on here, poor reasons for being dropped (see just a couple of posts above for specifics) and lesser players playing e.g. Caddis. That's a fair bit of evidence.

If you want to check Nayambe's criticisms in the press Vs Bennett say that's fine by me. If you won't accept any evidence until a link has been posted I think there wouldn't be much conversation on this board or in the pub for that matter (when w are allowed back in). 

There’s loads of stuff discussed here as if it’s gospel - that probably isn’t anywhere near the actually reality of the scenario.

Equally I can’t say for certain that Nyambe hasn’t been specifically targeted by TM in interviews - but I can say that I listen to most and I can’t ever recall a comment specifically against a player that I felt unfair.

He has criticised Rothwell, Armstrong in his early days, Williams, and Bell much more from my recollections.

The selection debate is (I know this word isn’t a popular BRFCS one 😆) subjective. Whilst I’d agree and argue along with you that I think he is our best right back - none of us can dismiss how prone to knocks he is.

With all the analysis and sport science data available to teams now, it’s easy for me to think supporters don’t know the whole story about why he hasn’t had more than 31 apps in a season yet.

Edited by JBiz

20 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's Nyambes decision. We don't know the ins and outs of it. So I don't see how the manager is automatically the one to blame.