1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Sir Keith ...... a Rolls Royce of a player. 

And look at that kit. Nothing has ever beaten it.

Yellowy stone (?) houses in the background. Would have said Yarkshire but they're too clean😀

Proper " short " shorts as well Jim. How players play these days in the beach wear style shorts I'll never know. We used to laugh at the old photos of players like Stan Mathews wearing shorts down to their knees, I never dreamed players would be wearing them again ! At least the women players today have more sense.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about

Posted Images

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

good point,only other ground i can think off that resembled that was boothferry park,hull,not sure if we played them in that season though

We also played Hull City that season, but I don't remember it being built in a bowl.

6 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I’ve seen this photo before and for some reason Watford rings a bell.

Edit - first played them in Sept 69 so could be wrong

7 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I’ve seen this photo before and for some reason Watford rings a bell.

Edit - first played them in Sept 69 so could be wrong

I think I had this photo on typhoo tea coupons or something like that ....an A4 size card photo ....may still have it somewhere .....

As for the ground , Bradford ? Maybe a friendly ?

I've been to Watford's ground a few times and I don't think it's Vicarage Road. You see yellow brick houses in the south east so it could be somewhere down there. 

30 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I think I had this photo on typhoo tea coupons or something like that ....an A4 size card photo ....may still have it somewhere .....

As for the ground , Bradford ? Maybe a friendly ?

This is Livingstone Road Altham

2726BC19-A0D4-4863-BE2A-79435F5EFA69.jpeg

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, think you're right there. Is NW the blond in the bottom photo?

I think so, but not sure. I'd like it to be because one of the Rovers -mad mates I used to go to Ewood with was Neil Wilkinson's cousin and I have very fond memories of him shouting 'Come on our Neil!' every time he got near the ball.

I baby-sat for sir Roger, the first thing I did in his house, was open his display cabinet and put on his England U21 cap. The girl I was with could not believe it. 

4 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

I think so, but not sure. I'd like it to be because one of the Rovers -mad mates I used to go to Ewood with was Neil Wilkinson's cousin and I have very fond memories of him shouting 'Come on our Neil!' every time he got near the ball.

It’s Jeff Whalley

CF832B05-3227-403E-9BF7-D2B69B2B5715.jpeg

1 hour ago, bazza said:

It was one or the other. I really don't know. Was the Mecca on St Peter Street between Mincing Lane and Darwen Street? If so this pub was on Darwen St.

I think the Wheatsheaf was Ken Pilling's pub on Mincing Lane. I'm pretty sure the one you are thinking of was the George (at the bottom of Mincing Lane, where it joined Darwen Street). I looked it up in a 1951 Street directory of Blackburn and surrounding area which I inherited from an uncle of mine. Great book, has every address and lists occupant and their occupation. Anyone want to know who lived in their house in 1951, just give me a dm. Please form an orderly queue, however.

2 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Some serious detective work here...😉 I suspect this was taken at the same time...

C677731F-3C58-483D-BA8E-186BBABF3BB6.jpeg

609E36B5-26C0-4864-B3CC-C407C2436A57.jpeg

If you look to Keith's left shoulder it looks like an opponent in a yellowish kit.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

If you look to Keith's left shoulder it looks like an opponent in a yellowish kit.

We played Watford away on the 27th of Sept 1969, shortly before Keith left for Everton.

Team that day -

Blacklaw. 

Newton, Coddington, Mulvaney, Wilson.

Metcalfe, Rogers, Knighton, Hill.

Connelly, Martin.

Connelly got both goals in a 2-0 win

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

You’re right Herbie, someone has replied saying it’s Palace and that’s the Arthur Wait Stand just starting to be built in the background, November 1968.

If anyone is on Facebook, the Football Stadia and Grounds site is superb. Brings back loads of great memories.

4 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

You’re right Herbie, someone has replied saying it’s Palace and that’s the Arthur Wait Stand just starting to be built in the background, November 1968.

If anyone is on Facebook, the Football Stadia and Grounds site is superb. Brings back loads of great memories.

16th Nov 1968. lost 1-0.

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Sharples, Wilson.

Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Connelly.

Fryatt, Darling.

sub for Darling - Calloway. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

16th Nov 1968. lost 1-0.

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Sharples, Wilson.

Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Connelly.

Fryatt, Darling.

sub for Darling - Calloway. 

Difference between that team and the one from 3 - 4 years earlier that was top of the old First Division for a time!

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We play Hull away in 1966-67, 67-68 and 68-69 whilst Keith was at Ewood.

I remember going to Boothferry Park in 68/9 with my Dad and Grandad, courtesy of Keith Newton. It was the first time I remember standing in an 'enclosure' at the side of the pitch, rather than behind the goals. I was 7 years old at the time.

The other distinct memory I have of being stood in a similar place on the terraces, was at the Baseball Ground for an FA Cup Tie, when Derby County were in their pomp. Charlie George scored for them, I think we lost 0-3. It was the first time I was worried about being a Rovers fan away and can recall the small alleyways, between Rolls Royce factories, leading to the ground). How many Rovers fans were there that day? 6,000 to 8,000+, I'd guess.

Keith Newton lived on Knowsley Road West in Wilpshire at the time. He and Ronnie Clayton were good mates with my Dad (Clayton's Left Boots' parents were also in the same circle of friends). I'm ashamed to admit now that once he became a Dingle, he also gave us tickets for the FA Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough, Newcastle v The 'Shower of Shite'. Fortunately 'Super Mac' spared my blushes and bagged a brace to reach the final.

Edited by darrenrover