BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Baseball Ground. For the FA Cup tie mentioned earlier, Rovers fans had the terracing below this stand down one side of the ground. Despite the defeat, it was a great atmosphere. The days when all teams played their strongest eleven, the FA Cup was valued and not treated with contempt by the top flight clubs (and others).

1A0BC2A2-5479-4C7A-9250-226E704470F4.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Baseball Ground. For the FA Cup tie mentioned earlier, Rovers fans had the terracing below this stand down one side of the ground. Despite the defeat, it was a great atmosphere. The days when all teams played their strongest eleven, the FA Cup was valued and not treated with contempt by the top flight clubs (and others).

We didn't have a great team then and we weren't wealthy by a long, long chalk, but we were proud of who we were - the famous Blackburn Rovers.  I can't say I'm proud of the club now.

• Like 5

On 06/02/2021 at 17:30, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Definitely our best ever kit. Everything about it is perfect. Even  the " Puma " boots. For all the technicolour boots today they can't hold a candle to Sir Keith.

Puma Kings..... the best boots I ever had. Bought a new pair every season Superb boots, so comfy, loved playing in them. My past pair still in store, new, ready for the new season. Then I injured my knee, and that was the end

9 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

What  a great day out that was.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Puma Kings..... the best boots I ever had. Bought a new pair every season Superb boots, so comfy, loved playing in them. My past pair still in store, new, ready for the new season. Then I injured my knee, and that was the end

Mine were before " Kings ", they didn't have a name back then, just " Puma ". They were great boots though. I've told this story before but I bought them from a sports shop on King Street in Manchester, one of the owners was an ex Lancashire cricketer who's name I can't recall now. I only had £4-10-0 and the boots were £5-0-0. The guy could see I really wanted them so he said " I'll tell you what son, take the boots and bring me the ten bob you owe me next week ".

Of course I was back the next week with my 10/- note.

I had them for about 4 or 5 seasons, I couldn't wear them out. Later on I bought another pair just because I wanted a new pair. First proper game in the new boots I broke my leg.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

A mate of mine just sent me this. Now, this lad could play. 

262A8B34-8676-4384-AB93-4F4FCBCE28E7.jpeg

I was talking to a friend on Saturday Mark and we both agreed that Tony Field is arguably our best pound for pound signing. He was my first ever Rovers hero and I was devastated when he left for Sheffield United, probably more upset than when Shearer left. We both remember the fee as being around £10k.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was talking to a friend on Saturday Mark and we both agreed that Tony Field is arguably our best pound for pound signing. He was my first ever Rovers hero and I was devastated when he left for Sheffield United, probably more upset than when Shearer left. We both remember the fee as being around £10k.

I’ll have to look it up Tony but a fee of £18k sticks in my mind. How he went ‘unnoticed’ in the 4th Division, I’ll never know. Maybe he was just a late developer? I had the same feeling when Furphy took him to the Blades. It was like my world had fallen apart. There’s a good photo knocking around of him and Pele together whilst playing for New York Cosmos.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

One of the best players in the world towards the end of his career playing for New York Cosmos. Pele is in the picture as well.

AD4A76D3-7108-4D7A-B333-11FDD9455BFF.jpeg

Quite poignant for me that Mark.

You may or may not be aware, that I'd signed for Washington Diplomats to play in The North American Soccer League for the 1980/81 season, following a recommendation from Liverpool's Head Scout Geoff Twentyman. I would have lined up against the likes of Pele, George Best, Rodney Marsh and Johann Cruyff during the forthcoming season. Quite an accolade for a young 19 year old upstart from Darren!

The season prior, Diplomats had been runners up to New York Cosmos and ambitions were high for the forthcoming season. Unfortunately, the week before pre-season training was due to start in West Virginia, The Club went bust, so I was denied the opportunity sadly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

You may or may not be aware, that I'd signed for Washington Diplomats to play in The North American Soccer League for the 1980/81 season, following a recommendation from Liverpool's Head Scout Geoff Twentyman. I would have lined up against the likes of Pele, George Best, Rodney Marsh and Johann Cruyff during the forthcoming season. Quite an accolade for a young 19 year old upstart from Darren!

Wow! No, I hadn’t Nick, I had no idea. When folk say a bit of bad luck, well, that WAS bad luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I’ll have to look it up Tony but a fee of £18k sticks in my mind. How he went ‘unnoticed’ in the 4th Division, I’ll never know. Maybe he was just a late developer? I had the same feeling when Furphy took him to the Blades. It was like my world had fallen apart. There’s a good photo knocking around of him and Pele together whilst playing for New York Cosmos.

By a strange quirk of fate Mark I was watching The Big Match Revisited this morning that I recorded on Saturday. The third match watch Everton v Sheffield United and Field, along with Bradford and Speight were playing as they came back from two down to win. And the goal of the season contenders were shown and our man was in the six select with a terrific individual goal.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, arbitro said:

By a strange quirk of fate Mark I was watching The Big Match Revisited this morning that I recorded on Saturday. The third match watch Everton v Sheffield United and Field, along with Bradford and Speight were playing as they came back from two down to win. And the goal of the season contenders were shown and our man was in the six select with a terrific individual goal.

I remember that goal from the time, didn’t he beat half the team just like he did for us against someone (Barnsley?)

I was surprised years ago in an LT Tony Parkes Remembers feature he said the rest of the dressing room couldn’t stand Field, too greedy. I wonder if Armstrong is getting a bit of that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I remember that goal from the time, didn’t he beat half the team just like he did for us against someone (Barnsley?)

I was surprised years ago in an LT Tony Parkes Remembers feature he said the rest of the dressing room couldn’t stand Field, too greedy. I wonder if Armstrong is getting a bit of that.

I don't recall Field being a particularly " go it alone " type of striker. Certainly not in the way that Armstrong can be with his " shoot from anywhere" attitude.

I saw Tony Field play a few times for Sheffield United in the same team as Tony Currie....or am I imagining it? Memories play tricks. Anyway, you have to hand it to Furphy for getting him to play for us, never gave less than 100% though I'm surprised he wasn't popular with his team-mates. Goalscorers have to be selfish though. 

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I saw Tony Field play a few times for Sheffield United in the same team as Tony Currie....or am I imagining it? Memories play tricks. Anyway, you have to hand it to Furphy for getting him to play for us, never gave less than 100% though I'm surprised he wasn't popular with his team-mates. Goalscorers have to be selfish though. 

Tony Currie played with him at Sheffield along with players like Bill Dearden, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, John Colquhoun and Jim Brown and not to mention the ex Rovers like Bradford, Garbett and Speight (maybe Endean too). There was also a County cricketer called Ted Helmsley if I remember correctly.

Just now, arbitro said:

Tony Currie played with him at Sheffield along with players like Bill Dearden, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, John Colquhoun and Jim Brown and not to mention the ex Rovers like Bradford, Garbett and Speight (maybe Endean too). There was also a County cricketer called Ted Helmsley if I remember correctly.

That was a very good team, post Len Badger and Alan Birchehall (another ex Rover). Ted Hemsley played for Worcestershire I think, like Philip Neal, another footballer-cricketer. Those lads don't exist any more at elite level, more's the pity. Imagine being good enough to earn a living at football and cricket? 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

That was a very good team, post Len Badger and Alan Birchehall (another ex Rover). Ted Hemsley played for Worcestershire I think, like Philip Neal, another footballer-cricketer. Those lads don't exist any more at elite level, more's the pity. Imagine being good enough to earn a living at football and cricket? 

Balderstone and Cumbes were two more who were professional footballers and cricketers. Wasn't Cumbes a wicketkeeper and goalkeeper?

Jimmy Cumbes, Lancashire lad who played in goal for Aston Villa. Balderstone played in the first division for Carlisle United and batsman for Leicestershire IIRC. Neal played for Lincoln City at left back (saw him play at Turf Moor). There were others going back - Denis Compton was the most famous footballer/cricketer

• Like 1

Botham played a couple of football games for Scunthorpe as well didn't he?

Andy Goram was a fair cricketer. I played against him a few times at cricket and football and as a youth he was actually a better cricketer than he was a footballer to be honest. At least, he was bang average in the footie games I played against him in anyway. At cricket, he was an all rounder who batted left handed and bowled right arm medium, as well as keeping wicket sometimes. He had trials for Lancs but didn't quite make the grade.

He represented Scotland at both sports, the only person to do so. The Scotland games were mainly in the 50 over cup games (B&H?)

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Botham played a couple of football games for Scunthorpe as well didn't he?

Andy Goram was a fair cricketer. I played against him a few times at cricket and football and as a youth he was actually a better cricketer than he was a footballer to be honest. At least, he was bang average in the games I played against him in anyway. At cricket, he was an all rounder who batted left handed and bowled right arm medium, as well as keeping wicket sometimes. He had trials for Lancs but didn't quite make the grade.

He represented Scotland at both sports, the only person to do so. The Scotland games were mainly in the 50 over cup games (B&H?)

I always thought Botham's appearances for Scunthorpe were a publicity stunt. He was too big and cumbersome for a footballer (Alec Stock politely suggested he should stick to cricket)

Apparently the Neville brothers were excellent cricketers too, particularly Phil. Would have made it as a pro. Mr Red Nose put a stop to his cricket

Edited by jim mk2

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I always thought Botham's appearances for Scunthorpe were a publicity stunt. He was too big and cumbersome for a footballer (Alec Stock politely suggested he should stick to cricket)

Apparently the Neville brothers were excellent cricketers too, particularly Phil. Would have made it as a pro. Mr Red Nose put a stop to his cricket

I haven't read it in years but from his autobiography I have a hazy recollection that Botham had trials all over the place at football, so I don't think it was a publicity stunt. Agree that he wasn't the slimmest but in those days he wouldn't have been alone. Larry Lloyd was a similar build.

I'll tell you a Rovers player that was good enough to play first class cricket - Chris Sutton. Classy batsman.

• Like 1

Wasn't there an annual cricket match between East Lancs and a Rovers XI during the close season? If memory serves Rovers would import a couple of Lancashire League professionals to bolster them. It is one of them events that have gone as footballers don't tend to live in the locality and jet off for several weeks as soon as the season has ended. Maybe the more intense contracts would also forbid it for fear of injury.