SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

5th Feb 1980. Nearly 40 years ago ! That makes me feel old. 1-1 draw

There was 29, 468 on.

Our team -

Jim Arnold

Jim Branagan, Glenn Keeley, Derek Fazackerley, Mick Rathbone.

Noel Brotherston, Howard Kendall, Tony Parkes

Duncan McKenzie

Andy Crawford, Simon Garner.

Alan Evans og was our scorer. Andy Crawford had scored in all 5 previous ties that season.

If we had that back five today I'd fancy us to go up. If they played the current team the current lads would need a goal start.

We were really unlucky to lose the replay.

Erm, I guess we are getting old, as it IS 41 years ago!

Andy Crawford! I soooo wanted him to be brilliant, but instead he smoked his own exhaust and fizzled out on Formby beach, as I remember.

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Loving this thread!

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My most embarrassing Rovers moment. Waiting outside Ewood after the game with my son for autographs. We'd just signed Jeff Kenna that week and he'd had a really good game. When he came out I said " Well played today mate ". He said " Thanks for that but I wasn't playing ". It was Tony Gale !

This could be a thread on its own Tyrone.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I had an embarrassing encounter with Duncan at Darwen Leisure Centre Mark. Rovers used to train in the sports hall and I was coming out of the changing room as they were leaving. I was starstruck and asked McKenzie if the was any truth in the rumour they didn't want to go up as champions. It was undoubtedly the dumbest question in the world. He looked at me and said "Fucking right we do". and carried on walking. It was one of the wanting the ground to open up moments for me.

Imagine you’d said similar to Craig Bellamy Tony 😆

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

@Claytons Left Boot

Love those pics from Villa game, the Riverside packed, The Manxman pub in the background, lads sat on the wall at the back.

Taking the mighty Aston Villa to a replay, they won the European Cup in 82, great days under Howard Kendall and I loved that shirt. 

Superb.

I went down for the replay Gav. We took thousands and absolutely packed the end behind the nets. Packed in like sardines. Good game as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Duncan McKenzie! How did we manage to sign him - the lure of Howard Kendall I suppose. He was one of many maverick players around in the 1970s - players like Bowles, Worthington, Currie, Marsh etc. You don't see them now, perhaps Cantona and Le Tissier were the last of the breed. 

I think it was actually John Pickering who signed him after Iley had been potted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I went down for the replay Gav. We took thousands and absolutely packed the end behind the nets. Packed in like sardines. Good game as well.

Brilliant.

We did the same late 80's, drew at Ewood took it back to Villa Park, Andy Kennedy scored for us but lost eventually, thousands missed the goal due to traffic on M6.

The terraces behind the goal are half full at the start of the clip, not so much in the second half. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaxDiEjQs_M&t=478s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There was 29, 468 on.

Our team -

Jim Arnold

Duncan McKenzie

Alan Evans og was our scorer. Andy Crawford had scored in all 5 previous ties that season.

If we had that back five today I'd fancy us to go up. If they played the current team the current lads would need a goal start. How many of those would you drop for a current player ? Crawford for Armstrong ? Parkes for Dack ? After that it's a struggle.

i remember the previous round against coventry and their disgusting cream and brown away kit,being only a youngster my dad refused to take me to the villa game,stating the crowd will be to big and you`ll not see anything,it did`nt stop him going with his drinking mates though,i sulked for a week beforehand and even worse i had to go shopping with my mum and sister on the saturday,,talk about a deprived childhood,it was downright disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!,only positive thing that came out of the whole debacle was being allowed to stop up late to watch the highlights on tv

• Like 2

I know we've moved on from old Blackburn pubs but I just want to ask one question.

I'm not a Blackburn person but in the early 1960s we used to go to the Locarno (Mecca). I seem to remember enjoying the pubs, Jubilee, Vulcan and was it the Peel(?). There was a pub opposite the entrance to the Mecca (name please) and, if you came out of the Mecca, turned right to the main road, turned right again and a few yards down crossed the main road to a large pub. I always called it the St. Leger, but what was its real name?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bazza said:

I know we've moved on from old Blackburn pubs but I just want to ask one question.

I'm not a Blackburn person but in the early 1960s we used to go to the Locarno (Mecca). I seem to remember enjoying the pubs, Jubilee, Vulcan and was it the Peel(?). There was a pub opposite the entrance to the Mecca (name please) and, if you came out of the Mecca, turned right to the main road, turned right again and a few yards down crossed the main road to a large pub. I always called it the St. Leger, but what was its real name?

Dirty Duck the pub opposite. Don't know the other one

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

only positive thing that came out of the whole debacle was being allowed to stop up late to watch the highlights on tv

I remember watching the replay too. I was 8. Also too young to travel.

Jim Arnold

Branagan,  Keeley,  Fazackerley, Rathbone.

Brotherston, Kendall, Parkes

McKenzie

Crawford, Garner.

The above team must be the finest we ever fielded outside the top flight, and certainly in the third tier. Possibly rivalled by the 87/88 team

Gennoe

Price Hendry Mail Sulley

Gayle Barker Ardiles Sellars

Archibald Garner

• Like 1

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

I remember watching the replay too. I was 8. Also too young to travel.

Jim Arnold

Branagan,  Keeley,  Fazackerley, Rathbone.

Brotherston, Kendall, Parkes

McKenzie

Crawford, Garner.

The above team must be the finest we ever fielded outside the top flight, and certainly in the third tier. Possibly rivalled by the 87/88 team

Gennoe

Price Hendry Mail Sulley

Gayle Barker Ardiles Sellars

Archibald Garner

Lots of happy memories in those teams. That 87/88 team didn’t feature wee Ossie too many times though, to be fair. Would it have been Nicky Reid or Alan Ainscow in that slot mainly?

3 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Great photo this. Must have been the FA Cup game v Villa with the crowd at a touch under 30k. McKenzie looking on.

02A1423A-57B7-4ED7-A90D-3A22D0352D82.jpeg

Is the bearded Villa player Dennis Mortimer? there weren''t as many beards around in those days!

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There was 29, 468 on.

Our team -

Jim Arnold

Duncan McKenzie

If we had that back five today I'd fancy us to go up. If they played the current team the current lads would need a goal start. How many of those would you drop for a current player ? Crawford for Armstrong ? Parkes for Dack ? After that it's a struggle.

Not sure about Dack on the left of a 3 there - doesn't have Tony Parkes' work rate - not sure how he would gel with Mckenzie either. Kaminski might be as good as Arnold and Nyambe v Branagan might be close. Mick Rathbone - yes every time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grinder said:

Not sure about Dack on the left of a 3 there - doesn't have Tony Parkes' work rate - not sure how he would gel with Mckenzie either. Kaminski might be as good as Arnold and Nyambe v Branagan might be close. Mick Rathbone - yes every time!

id`e have to have nyambe over branagan,as good as he was a defender,jim used to treat the halfway line like an electrified fence

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grinder said:

Is the bearded Villa player Dennis Mortimer? there weren''t as many beards around in those days!

Yes definitely. Beards were an oddity in those days. Very good player and driving force behind that great Villa team that won the European Cup. 

7 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

That one got me ejected from the Turd, the day Keith Fear scored and Rovers won a nervy end to end match many years ago...Big police inspector collared me and shouted "what did you say?" and I was stupid enough to repeat it, which gave him licence to have me thrown out..

Them were the days!

The Keith Fear thing always makes me smile - got on to the Longside 20 mins late Rovers 2 up - no one could see much and everyone around saying Jack Lewis is unrecognisable today - they hadn't realised we had signed Fear on loan - from that  distance they looked similar !1818608165_keithfear.jpg.e9d61683f0219dd07949cfb8f29230f3.jpgjack-lewis-grimsby-town-fc-footballer-box-707-6030816120-a-jpg-shutterstock-editorial-5900633a.thumb.jpg.d863c0ab8b255d1e3523ae562f243c65.jpg

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes definitely. Beards were an oddity in those days. Very good player and driving force behind that great Villa team that won the European Cup. 

yes I remember him as seriously good player in an excellent Villa team - the only other beards that come to mind immediatelyaround then  were Frank Lampard and Bob Latchford - im sure there must have been others..

4 minutes ago, grinder said:

yes I remember him as seriously good player in an excellent Villa team - the only other beards that come to mind immediatelyaround then  were Frank Lampard and Bob Latchford - im sure there must have been others..

Trevor Hockey - Birmingham and Wales IIRC had a beard too. Dirty barsteward

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Trevor Hockey - Birmingham and Wales IIRC had a beard too. Dirty barsteward

Good little player though. I remember him getting sent off at Ewood when a sending off had to be earned. He'd kicked everybody at least once in a really feisty game.

Jan 20th 1968. Rovers 1 Big Club 2. Att 17,934

Rovers

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Mulvaney, Wilson

Ferguson, Rogers, Hole, Connelly

Gilliver, Darling.

Scorer -  Connelly.