BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

50 minutes ago, Gav said:

The Jubilee had a great jukebox, proper lads football pub too at times over the years. 

'twas a community town, with a community spirit, with a football club, whatever the status, as a focal point.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just recreate something similar in the modern age? 😉

With the caveat that Darreners would still be 'top dogs', just like it ever was!....

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

On 26/01/2021 at 19:32, Exiled in Toronto said:

A must buy for me on trips home are Stockleys Sarsaparilla Tablets! 

Always a pre-match visit with my son to the paper shop across from Ewood for a quarter of Midget Gems(Lion, of course) and a quarter of blackcurrant and liquorice. All gone by half time.

barnetts-sugar-free-sarsparilla-tablets_We used to share a bag of 'lucky' sarsaparilla tablets on the Riverside and I was convinced for many years that I could influence the outcome of the game by sucking strategically on a lozenge, particularly when Rovers were bearing down on goal...

Cost me a tooth eventually, of course! Bit down on one too hard when Andy Craig scored one of his gems, and shattered an incisor!

(sugar free?? Like hell they were!)

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

Always a pre-match visit with my son to the paper shop across from Ewood for a quarter of Midget Gems(Lion, of course) and a quarter of blackcurrant and liquorice. All gone by half time.

When we played Liverpool one time in the early 1960's I saw that shop get cleaned out by a gang of scousers. That was the first time I'd seen a " steaming " gang.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 27/01/2021 at 08:36, Gav said:

No photo description available.

Had my first ever beer in there, aged 13. Reminds me of a tale my mate told me. At a similar age, he was lingering around the bar of a pub over ‘Arrod way, trying to pluck up courage to order his first ever pint. The barman called out last orders, shouting anyone for any more ale. He sort of put his hand up and said, yeah I’ll have a pint of ale. He didn’t realise there were different beers/lagers/stouts etc, so when the guy asked him what exactly he wanted, all he could say was ale. 😆

8 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Had my first ever beer in there, aged 13. Reminds me of a tale my mate told me. At a similar age, he was lingering around the bar of a pub over ‘Arrod way, trying to pluck up courage to order his first ever pint. The barman called out last orders, shouting anyone for any more ale. He sort of put his hand up and said, yeah I’ll have a pint of ale. He didn’t realise there were different beers/lagers/stouts etc, so when the guy asked him what exactly he wanted, all he could say was ale. 😆

😂😂😂

Royal Oak on Wood Street was my first pint, a pint of mild, aged 14.

It was one of the few pubs I knew my dad wouldn’t have been in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

St John’s Tavern, age 14, with the current Coroner for Liverpool. Missed the last bus back to Tockholes and had to walk the 5 miles back - all uphill - getting home at 2am having run into the parental search party just when they’d given up! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we played Liverpool one time in the early 1960's I saw that shop get cleaned out by a gang of scousers. That was the first time I'd seen a " steaming " gang.

When I was born, my parents had the shop on Bolton Rd, at the corner of Longshaw St. next to the Aqueduct pub, they used to set up a trestle outside and mum and dad were armed with a police truncheon and a pepper pot to protect themselves from such occurrences 😁 I was a Rovers supporter as a babe in arms, being passed over the turnstiles for first team and reserve matches, even though my father was a Derby supporter, as he came from there originally (late 50s, early 60s)

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I had my first beer at a similar age in a local with an understanding landlord. One Friday evening a lad from my school who was the same age came in he’d made an effort and dressed up to look older. He swaggered to the bar and in a  feigned deep voice he said “ half of mixed” the landlord just said “ get out”.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

St John’s Tavern, age 14, with the current Coroner for Liverpool. Missed the last bus back to Tockholes and had to walk the 5 miles back - all uphill - getting home at 2am having run into the parental search party just when they’d given up! 

Haha, made me laugh that! 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 20:15, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looks like a good place to work. Managing Directors son having a well earned break on the second grinding machine from the front.

Tool room in ‘O’ Building. Served my time there and indeed was a great place to work. So many skilled men all now gone after being thrown on th scrap heap. 

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

😂😂😂

Royal Oak on Wood Street was my first pint, a pint of mild, aged 14.

It was one of the few pubs I knew my dad wouldn’t have been in!

Remember that one Andy. I once (only once) went in the Foundary, further down Wood Street and on the corner of Hacking Street. Closed in 1991. I was with my father-in-law (RIP) who used to drink mild, as did I for a while.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 18:37, Gav said:

The old wine lodge.

I remember when they changed it to the blob shop equipped with bouncer on door  "No trainers in here lads" - Looking for a different kind of clientele - Cheeky barsteward - One lad got in and opened the fire exit - Job done!

May be an image of 2 people

Is that Peter White at the end of the bar?

• Like 3

On 26/01/2021 at 18:31, Gav said:

Mecca/Golden Palms 

No photo description available.

I first started going to the Locarno as it was called then around 1966/7. When Mecca decided to upgrade the venue they held a competition for people to rename it. I can’t remember what the prize was for the winner(anyone out there know it?), but I had a go wanting it to be called “Topaz”. I was gutted when I didn’t win. The Golden Palms opened in June 1969.

2 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I first started going to the Locarno as it was called then around 1966/7. When Mecca decided to upgrade the venue they held a competition for people to rename it. I can’t remember what the prize was for the winner(anyone out there know it?), but I had a go wanting it to be called “Topaz”. I was gutted when I didn’t win. The Golden Palms opened in June 1969.

I went to the Rovers end-of-season knees-up/awards do at the end of the 1975 Championship season. Don Martin got player of the season.

13 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

Come all without, Come all within,

You'll not see nothing like DON MARTIN!

I spoke to Don once at a friend's 21st back in 1975 

He told me that when Ken Furphy was leaving for Sheffield, he turned round to Don and said, "I suppose you'll be cracking out the champagne now, Martin?"

Don's reply- "I'll wait until you're out of the fcking door first!"

When Don the Eskimo gets here, everybody gonna run to him...or summat

• Like 1