BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Good little player though. I remember him getting sent off at Ewood when a sending off had to be earned. He'd kicked everybody at least once in a really feisty game.

Jan 20th 1968. Rovers 1 Big Club 2. Att 17,934

Rovers

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Mulvaney, Wilson

Ferguson, Rogers, Hole, Connelly

Gilliver, Darling.

Scorer -  Connelly.

It must have been mildly amusing for the opposition as Gilliver shouted 'Darling' when he wanted the ball. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Lots of happy memories in those teams. That 87/88 team didn’t feature wee Ossie too many times though, to be fair. Would it have been Nicky Reid or Alan Ainscow in that sl

Edit

Edited by Colt Seavers

53 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Lots of happy memories in those teams. That 87/88 team didn’t feature wee Ossie too many times though, to be fair. Would it have been Nicky Reid or Alan Ainscow in that slot mainly?

Yes Reid I think. 

I actually forgot Souness' promoted team when I made the lower league comparison. That team wasn't too shabby...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grinder said:

Bob Latchford - im sure there must have been others..

The rumour was, Kendall wanted to sign Bob Latchford when we got promoted from division 3, but the board couldn’t find the cash. 

We missed out on promotion to division one by 1 goal.......

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Good little player though. I remember him getting sent off at Ewood when a sending off had to be earned. He'd kicked everybody at least once in a really feisty game.

Jan 20th 1968. Rovers 1 Big Club 2. Att 17,934

Rovers

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Mulvaney, Wilson

Ferguson, Rogers, Hole, Connelly

Gilliver, Darling.

Scorer -  Connelly.

Who was the player Fergie elbowed in the face right in front of the referee and the Nuttall Street stand v Coventry, about 1967?  He got sent off - first one I'd ever seen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e have to have nyambe over branagan,as good as he was a defender,jim used to treat the halfway line like an electrified fence

My memory isn't what it was but I'm sure Branagan scored a 30 yard screamer v wolves early 80s. Wind assisted and chucking it down. 

That was after he combed his hair on the way to the goal! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Who was the player Fergie elbowed in the face right in front of the referee and the Nuttall Street stand v Coventry, about 1967?  He got sent off - first one I'd ever seen

Dietmar Bruck. He been giving Fergie some stick right from the off. The ref didn't seem to be too bothered. Then after another kick on the back of the ankle Fergie swung his arm around and caught Bruck in the face. Nowadays it would be a straight red but in those days most players would have just shrugged it off. Bruck made a meal of it and went down like he'd been shot. That was the first time I saw a player deliberately make a meal of a foul to get an opponent sent off, but unfortunately not the last. What I learnt from that was don't retaliate right away, wait for a later opportunity to even things up a bit. That and throwing your arms around is pointless. 

The first sending off I saw was Mike England at the dingledome, He'd been having a running battle with Andy Lochead all the game, eventually England lost his rag with the constant roughing up and retaliated like Fergie and got the early bath. Lochead was a notorious animal to play against, if he'd have been a boxer he would have had a glove on his head. A very physical player who would leave something in every time there was a coming together.

After that it was the famous Harry Gregg/Mike England incident at Old Trafford. The Trevor Hockey one must have come the season after Fergie getting sent off.

I know we’ve moved on, but Don Martin finished up playing centre half didn’t he?

Very underrated player IMO. Got better with age.  Excellent technique for a front man, but as others said more of a foil for others, than a goal scorer himself.

On 03/02/2021 at 19:59, bazza said:

I know we've moved on from old Blackburn pubs but I just want to ask one question.

I'm not a Blackburn person but in the early 1960s we used to go to the Locarno (Mecca). I seem to remember enjoying the pubs, Jubilee, Vulcan and was it the Peel(?). There was a pub opposite the entrance to the Mecca (name please) and, if you came out of the Mecca, turned right to the main road, turned right again and a few yards down crossed the main road to a large pub. I always called it the St. Leger, but what was its real name?

Was it the George Hotel? A Thwaites pub, if memory serves.

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sir Roger Jones, Billy Wilson, Derek Fazackerley, Dick Mulvaney (?), George Sharples I think, Stuart Metcalfe in there. 

The very best Rovers kit of all time...... round neck shirt, white socks and shorts. 

I think that may be Laurie Calloway rather than Mulvaney, and Neil Wilkinson instead of Billy Wilson. I'm sure neither DM nor BW played at the same time as Sir Roger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

I think that may be Laurie Calloway rather than Mulvaney, and Neil Wilkinson instead of Billy Wilson. I'm sure neither DM nor BW played at the same time as Sir Roger.

Yes, think you're right there. Is NW the blond in the bottom photo?

1 hour ago, Elvis Biro said:

Was it the George Hotel? A Thwaites pub, if memory serves.

3 minutes ago, renrag said:

The Wheatsheaf rings a bell with me 

It was one or the other. I really don't know. Was the Mecca on St Peter Street between Mincing Lane and Darwen Street? If so this pub was on Darwen St.

3 minutes ago, bazza said:

It was one or the other. I really don't know. Was the Mecca on St Peter Street between Mincing Lane and Darwen Street? If so this pub was on Darwen St.

Yeap Mecca was as you say. Was the Darwen St pub The Merchants?

39 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

I thought it was Mick Wood rather than Neil Wilkinson. Is the real blonde lad Jeff Whalley?

• Like 1