Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

The other distinct memory I have of being stood in a similar place on the terraces, was at the Baseball Ground for an FA Cup Tie, when Derby County were in their pomp. Charlie George scored for them, I think we lost 0-3. It was the first time I was worried about being a Rovers fan away and can recall the small alleyways, between Rolls Royce factories, leading to the ground). How many Rovers fans were there that day? 6,000 to 8,000+, I'd guess.

 Keith Newton lived on Knowsley Road West in Wilpshire at the time. He and Ronnie Clayton were good mates with my Dad (Clayton's Left Boots' parents were also in the same circle of friends)

I went to the Derby cup tie as well, think we lost 3-1 and they had won the league the previous year if I remember correctly. There were 40 Rovers coaches on our coach park near the ground and I was told there were another 40 somewhere else. We took a huge following and were given the whole of the side under that concrete stand (where the Derby singers usually stood). It seemed pitch black under there and the roof was so low you could almost touch the steelwork above.

I don’t remember Keith Newton as being part of that circle of friends, Nick. Only Ronnie but memories fade over time! I do remember going camping, en masse, in the Lake District, would have been 1966. We all climbed Red Pike, near Kirkstone Pass and, unsurprisingly, Ronnie was first to the top.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I went to the Derby cup tie as well, think we lost 3-1 and they had won the league the previous year if I remember correctly. There were 40 Rovers coaches on our coach park near the ground and I was told there were another 40 somewhere else. We took a huge following and were given the whole of the side under that concrete stand (where the Derby singers usually stood). It seemed pitch black under there and the roof was so low you could almost touch the steelwork above.

I don’t remember Keith Newton as being part of that circle of friends, Nick. Only Ronnie but memories fade over time! I do remember going camping, en masse, in the Lake District, would have been 1966. We all climbed Red Pike, near Kirkstone Pass and, unsurprisingly, Ronnie was first to the top.

Got to know Keith through the parents of a lad I was at school with, who lived across the road from him. He's now probably the best dentist in Clitheroe at the end of Waddington Road. Both the dad of the lad and Ronnie, were both newsagents, hence I think the initial connection.

I pass by your Mum and Dads grave most mornings Mark, when I'm taking the dog for a walk. I always say 'Hi' and remember your dad as being a real card, made everyone laugh and a fantastic jazz pianist to boot.

They can't take away our memories can they? I'm loving this thread,,,,,

Edited by darrenrover
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I went to the Derby cup tie as well, think we lost 3-1 and they had won the league the previous year if I remember correctly. There were 40 Rovers coaches on our coach park near the ground and I was told there were another 40 somewhere else. We took a huge following and were given the whole of the side under that concrete stand (where the Derby singers usually stood). It seemed pitch black under there and the roof was so low you could almost touch the steelwork above.

I don’t remember Keith Newton as being part of that circle of friends, Nick. Only Ronnie but memories fade over time! I do remember going camping, en masse, in the Lake District, would have been 1966. We all climbed Red Pike, near Kirkstone Pass and, unsurprisingly, Ronnie was first to the top.

5th Rnd, Feb 26th 1977

Rovers team-

Bradshaw

Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Wood.

Hird, Metcalfe, Waddington, Parkes.

Byrom, Mitchell.

Sub - Taylor. Goal - Colin Todd og

What a strange team - full of centre halves - looks like we went for a draw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

5th Rnd, Feb 26th 1977

Rovers team-

Bradshaw

Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Wood.

Hird, Metcalfe, Waddington, Parkes.

Byrom, Mitchell.

Sub - Taylor. Goal - Colin Todd og

What a strange team - full of centre halves - looks like we went for a draw.

It's later than I thought initially Tyrone, I though 73/74ish. Daft really because I knew Jim Smith was manager at the time, I should have known better!

You're right about centre halves though, there's potentially 5 there!

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly have put the fear of god into the League Champions!

Edited by darrenrover
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

It's later than I thought initially Tyrone, I though 73/74ish. Daft really because I knew Jim Smith was manager at the time, I should have known better!

You're right about centre halves though, there's potentially 5 there!

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly of put the fear of god into the League Champions!

I take my hat off to anyone who went to watch that team.

Never mind 5 at the back that looks like 6 at the back

Hird, Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Waddington, Wood.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

It's later than I thought initially Tyrone, I though 73/74ish. Daft really because I knew Jim Smith was manager at the time, I should have known better!

You're right about centre halves though, there's potentially 5 there!

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly have put the fear of god into the League Champions!

I remember my dad telling me he took a big bottle of champagne to one game at the baseball ground, thousands of Rovers fans went. We lost, the champagne never got drunk, I'm certainly not an old chip off the block because I'd have demolished it before we got past Crewe!

1977 FA Cup seems a bit late to be sneaking bottles of champagne into the ground, but it looks like the only option.

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I pass by your Mum and Dads grave most mornings Mark, when I'm taking the dog for a walk. I always say 'Hi' and remember your dad as being a real card, made everyone laugh and a fantastic jazz pianist to boot.

Thanks for that Nick! I’m surprised we never went to any games together in the mid to late 60s. Not sure if you remember Alan Bates and his family. Mad keen Rovers fans, Alan worked with my dad before he moved to the Leeds area through work. My dad was never keen on football and it was Alan who took me to my first away match, a win at Bury in 1967. I also got taken to Everton for the 3rd round FA Cup tie when we lost 2-0, in 1972. That was with Bill Cocker (RIP) and his two lads, Simon and Tim? 

Like you say, Nick, they can’t take away our memories. Mostly painful during the first 26-27 years I followed the lads but every now and again you had a great day out, usually away in the cup!
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gav said:

I remember my dad telling me he took a big bottle of champagne to one game at the baseball ground, thousands of Rovers fans went. We lost, the champagne never got drunk, I'm certainly not an old chip off the block because I'd have demolished it before we got past Crewe!

1977 FA Cup seems a bit late to be sneaking bottles of champagne into the ground, but it looks like the only option.

Bloody Hell Gav, you've surprised me there: I always thought you were a similar age to me for some reason! 😉🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

It's later than I thought initially Tyrone, I though 73/74ish. Daft really because I knew Jim Smith was manager at the time, I should have known better!

You're right about centre halves though, there's potentially 5 there!

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly have put the fear of god into the League Champions!

I went to that game , I think Bailey , Wagstaffe and someone else got injured in a bad tempered match at Blackpool the week before...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Thanks for that Nick! I’m surprised we never went to any games together in the mid to late 60s. Not sure if you remember Alan Bates and his family. Mad keen Rovers fans, Alan worked with my dad before he moved to the Leeds area through work. My dad was never keen on football and it was Alan who took me to my first away match, a win at Bury in 1967. I also got taken to Everton for the 3rd round FA Cup tie when we lost 2-0, in 1972. That was with Bill Cocker (RIP) and his two lads, Simon and Tim? 

Like you say, Nick, they can’t take away our memories. Mostly painful during the first 26-27 years I followed the lads but every now and again you had a great day out, usually away in the cup!
 

I remember you getting acquainted with Max, our German Shepherd (who was soft as anything btw!) one day when we were both out walking years back🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I went to that game , I think Bailey , Wagstaffe and someone else got injured in a bad tempered match at Blackpool the week before...

Bob Hatton scored a hat-trick for The Seasiders that day, I think they scored 5?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Bob Hatton scored a hat-trick for The Seasiders that day, I think they scored 5?

Not sure that was the same season , remember Byrom scoring very late on to equalise ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

5th Rnd, Feb 26th 1977

Rovers team-

Bradshaw

Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Wood.

Hird, Metcalfe, Waddington, Parkes.

Byrom, Mitchell.

Sub - Taylor. Goal - Colin Todd og

What a strange team - full of centre halves - looks like we went for a draw.

bit before my time but is that paul bradshaw the  wolves keeper who played for them for  years,he was a top class goalie if i remember correctly

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Not sure that was the same season , remember Byrom scoring very late on to equalise ...

Just referenced the excellent Mick Jackman Waggy:

You're right, '77/78 was the season I was referring to and Blackpool beat us 5-2.

'76/'77, 2 weeks before the 5th Round tie at The Baseball Ground, we drew 1-1 with Blackpool and John Byrom did indeed score the equaliser for us.

We didn't do too badly though for 2 old geezers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

bit before my time but is that paul bradshaw the  wolves keeper who played for them for  years,he was a top class goalie if i remember correctly

 

It was the one and the same Paul Bradshaw. I was an Associate Schoolboy at the time and all the players used to call him 'Uggy'. One of the lads wrote 'L' and 'R' in felt tip on the soles of his boots, so he knew which foot to put them on.

Fair to say he wasn't 'the fizziest drink in the fridge'!

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Bloody Hell Gav, you've surprised me there: I always thought you were a similar age to me for some reason! 😉🤣

First game 1975 - C H A M P I O N S 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Bob Hatton scored a hat-trick for The Seasiders that day, I think they scored 5?

Got hammered 5-2 that day and it was on Granada TV next day with Gerald Chin Strap

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gav said:

First game 1975 - C H A M P I O N S 👍

Indeed Gav, '66 me v Crystal Palace.

I was 'on the pitch' following the 0-0 draw with Wrexham in the final match of '74/75, when the players appeared in Private Box A afterwards and held a placard each which spelt out Champions!

Still got all of my season tickets, see one below!

£4 for the season Waggott!

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a QPR theme:

Who remembers Tim Flowers debut at QPR in 93 I think it was? Just signed him from Southampton and we filled the place.

I seem to recall us singing "Flowers in the rain" by The Move for large parts of the match, a few fans presented Flowers with bunches of flowers at the start of the match which we lost 0-1.

They can't take our memories away. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gav said:

On a QPR theme:

Who remembers Tim Flowers debut at QPR in 93 I think it was? Just signed him from Southampton and we filled the place.

I seem to recall us singing "Flowers in the rain" by The Move for large parts of the match, a few fans presented Flowers with bunches of flowers at the start of the match which we lost 0-1.

They can't take our memories away. 

 

Yep, I was there with my missus and a few mates. The wife bought a bunch from M&S before hand and duly threw them on to Flowers' netting as they were kicking in pre-match.

We're one hell of a bloody good and famous Football Club.

WE'RE BLACKBURN ROVERS AND WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Yep, I was there with my missus and a few mates. The wife bought a bunch from M&S before hand and duly threw them on to Flowers' netting as they were kicking in pre-match.

We're one hell of a bloody good and famous Football Club.

WE'RE BLACKBURN ROVERS AND WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK!!! 

I remember that like it was yesterday darrenrover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Bob Hatton scored a hat-trick for The Seasiders that day, I think they scored 5?

I remember Bob Hatton playing for Bolton at Ewood in the late 60's. They were losing 2-0 I think and they wanted to sub Hatton for another forward. This was in the days before holding the number up for substitutions. Hatton was waiting to take a throw on the Riverside near where I was stood when Francis Lee came over to tell him to get off. The two of them had a row about it with plenty of effing and jeffing at each other. Hatton eventually went off but not before he'd given Lee a mouthful which mentioned the facts that he wasn't the tallest man in football and his mum and dad may not have been married !

I remember thinking what a good player Lee was and within the week he'd signed for City.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.