BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andrew-flintoff-phil-neville-cricket-18101504.amp

In terms of sporting all rounders someone called Max Woosnam played footy for Man City, chelski and England. He won Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Olympics. Won a doubles title at Wimbledon. Captained the Davis cup team. Had a 147 break in snooker. Made a century at Lords.

Then our own A. N. Hornby. Think he’s the only person to captain England for both rugby and cricket (captain of the side who lost to Australia which led to the ashes). Played for Lancashire. Plus arguably his greatest achievement turned out for Rovers a few times. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Wasn't there an annual cricket match between East Lancs and a Rovers XI during the close season? If memory serves Rovers would import a couple of Lancashire League professionals to bolster them. It is one of them events that have gone as footballers don't tend to live in the locality and jet off for several weeks as soon as the season has ended. Maybe the more intense contracts would also forbid it for fear of injury.

There used to be a charity game between Rochdale AFC and Rochdale Hornets RLFC. It was 40 minutes football then 40 minutes rugby league ! Can you imagine that taking place now ? Some of the rugby league lads were really good footballers having had trials at the top North West clubs. One or two of the footballers looked like good rugby league players in the making also. It was really entertaining and good fun.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Tony Currie played with him at Sheffield along with players like Bill Dearden, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, John Colquhoun and Jim Brown and not to mention the ex Rovers like Bradford, Garbett and Speight (maybe Endean too). There was also a County cricketer called Ted Helmsley if I remember correctly.

He'd have been in his element at Bramall Lane as they were still playing county cricket there then.

Speaking of BL, an old geezer (ie a bit older than me) I know from my local and a big cricket man told me he saw Don Bradman play at the Lane for the Aussies V Yorkshire. Talk about legends...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought Jimmy Cumbes was a bowler.

You could well be right Tyrone. I had it in my mind that there is some synergy between wicketkeeping and goalkeeping and it was Cumbes who put it there.

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You could well be right Tyrone. I had it in my mind that there is some synergy between wicketkeeping and goalkeeping and it was Cumbes who put it there.

Yes, he was a bowler. From a long line of good Lancashire home-grown bowlers.... Statham, Lever, Shuttleworth, Allott, Anderson, Chapple, Mahmood.  

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

My 11th birthday! There’s an electrical shop in Clitheroe with a framed picture of Shearer rising at the back post for that header in the front window.

Sadly not for sale 😫.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 12:44, arbitro said:

By a strange quirk of fate Mark I was watching The Big Match Revisited this morning that I recorded on Saturday. The third match watch Everton v Sheffield United and Field, along with Bradford and Speight were playing as they came back from two down to win.

Micky Speight is on one of the Facebook football sites, Football in the 70s and 80s or something similar. Some Rovers theme came up and I told him he was a good un and was well liked down at Ewood. He appreciated that. I think oldjamfan1 was in on the conversation if I remember correctly. You remember that Andy? 😁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

If in doubt, refer to Mike Jackman. 😆

5th Feb 1972, Rovers 4 Barnsley 0 (Field 3, McNamee) Att 7,678

Cheers. It was the 1973 game I was thinking of. 5-0 v Watford Tony Field scored twice and I think one was after beating a few men! Furphy's last league game in charge I think. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Micky Speight is on one of the Facebook football sites, Football in the 70s and 80s or something similar. Some Rovers theme came up and I told him he was a good un and was well liked down at Ewood. He appreciated that. I think oldjamfan1 was in on the conversation if I remember correctly. You remember that Andy? 😁

I do Mark yeah. Mike has regularly chipped in on conversations involving his old clubs. I had forgotten that Patty would know him actually and of course they also share a Blades connection (not at the same time though).

He still looks fit enough to play yet!!

On 08/02/2021 at 13:39, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't recall Field being a particularly " go it alone " type of striker. Certainly not in the way that Armstrong can be with his " shoot from anywhere" attitude.

Oh yes, he could go it alone all right!

Off the top of my head..a brilliant solo dribble and goal at the Blackburn End against Watford in front of a tearful Elton John.

A similar goal in the same end versus Charlton..

A run and a long range shot from the Nuttal St wing into the Darwen End net..versus Lincoln in one of the cups.

Brilliant player!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Oh yes, he could go it alone all right!

Off the top of my head..a brilliant solo dribble and goal at the Blackburn End against Watford in front of a tearful Elton John.

A similar goal in the same end versus Charlton..

A run and a long range shot from the Nuttal St wing into the Darwen End net..versus Lincoln in one of the cups.

Brilliant player!

That day Watford had the worst full-back I have ever seen in pro football. And yes that does include Bell.