4 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I went to that gig but obviously didn't get there as early as you did.

Sadly Pete De Freitas died a couple of years later when he crashed his Ducati - maybe the very bike in the picture.

Just for clarification Crimp ..NOT my photographs !!!..but i wish they were !! Sorry!!

Bike mad the Bunnymen ..even Will !

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’re both trying really hard to maintain my grandson’s interest in the club but given the rubbish on display recently it’s not easy.

Funny you saying that. Was just thinking today when I was reading the Nostalgia thread, how lucky I was to be born and watch our great club in all those various times and divisions. The play we see on those clips and the excitement of the crowd is nothing like what we see now.

Suppose I'd been born in 2010---how on earth could my Dad have bribed me to watch us?

Where are our future fans to come from?

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Just for clarification Crimp ..NOT my photographs !!!..but i wish they were !! Sorry!!

Bike mad the Bunnymen ..even Will !

I posted those pics a few weeks back, they're from Will Sergeants Twitter page where he was asking if anyone recognised the venue, he wasn't sure.

Mrs said Will is in the picture, but he's not, you're right Howie, its Pete de Freitas and Les Pattinson.

I’ve just received a copy of this book by Harry Kay, Sports Editor Of the then Northern Daily Telegraph. It was published in 1948. It is without it’s dust cover. Has anyone got a copy or read it, I hadn’t seen it until my son sent me a photo of it recently. Looks like it will be an interesting read.

BAF49BC7-7404-46E0-84FE-12CD32FBF66B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

I posted those pics a few weeks back, they're from Will Sergeants Twitter page where he was asking if anyone recognised the venue, he wasn't sure.

Mrs said Will is in the picture, but he's not, you're right Howie, its Pete de Freitas and Les Pattinson.

Ah sorry Gav ..hadnt realised you d already posted them !

You not reckon the lad to the right of the lad with the pullover around his neck possibly Will ..?

2 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Ah sorry Gav ..hadnt realised you d already posted them !

You not reckon the lad to the right of the lad with the pullover around his neck possibly Will ..?

Not at all Howie, never get tired of seeing fantastic pictures of times gone by.

It could be Will.

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Jimmy Quinn surrounded by fans during an end of season pitch invasion following the Canon League Division Two match between Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Ewood Park on May 11, 1985 Blackburn Rovers finish in 5th place in Division Two in spite of a 3-0 win.

12gettyimages-1228747568-2048x2048.jpg

13gettyimages-1228747582-2048x2048.jpg

we should have been promoted that season,if i remember correctly we were top of the league at christmas and beat leeds on boxing day to solidify it,sadly injuries and fatigue took their toll and without any money to bring in reinforcements we tailed off with to many draws and not enough goals,happened a lot in the 80`s,we were so skint they used to fix the crowd figures and only put the floodlights on low,great times though,important games always saw the blackburn end full

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Funny you saying that. Was just thinking today when I was reading the Nostalgia thread, how lucky I was to be born and watch our great club in all those various times and divisions. The play we see on those clips and the excitement of the crowd is nothing like what we see now.

Suppose I'd been born in 2010---how on earth could my Dad have bribed me to watch us?

My grandson was born in 2007 and my son has worked on him from as soon as he could but he’s seen Rovers playing shite 90% of the time !

8 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I’ve just received a copy of this book by Harry Kay, Sports Editor Of the then Northern Daily Telegraph. It was published in 1948. It is without it’s dust cover. Has anyone got a copy or read it, I hadn’t seen it until my son sent me a photo of it recently. Looks like it will be an interesting read.

Yes, I bought it a couple of months ago - very interesting. He has direct quotes from players from the earliest days who must’ve been old men when he met them.

8 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I have this book. A friend of mine saw it, I think at a car boot sale, and bought it for me. It’s in poor condition but still readable with care.

9 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Yes. I have that book. My father owned it and I inherited it. It's a question and answer book. It's brilliant. Read about the Rovers strip through the years and then tell Jim Mk2 and others that our shirts are blue and white quarters. 😁

Edited by bazza
5 minutes ago, 47er said:

India!!

Actually they don't seem interested do they?

11 years ago, Venkys were on the verge of making us look like Barcelona with signings like Beckham, Ronaldinho, and attractive football deployed by the legendary Maradona.

We got Orr, Benjani, and Lowe, all led by "The Thinker". Yes. I think that might be why Venkys are still struggling to market us to this day. Cricket it is, then.

15 hours ago, bazza said:

Yes. I have that book. My father owned it and I inherited it. It's a question and answer book. It's brilliant. Read about the Rovers strip through the years and then tell Jim Mk2 and others that our shirts are blue and white quarters. 😁

Make what you want of this information. Personally, I am going with halves as I have no intention of cutting my shirt open just to settle a discussion  

4174438E-74B9-40C5-94D4-7BF5E0D7D8C8.jpeg

On 20/03/2021 at 11:49, 47er said:

It can be done, my lad was born in 2010, started taking him 2015 and he loves it. Looked forward to going the games each week pre covid no matter how we were playing, comes the odd away game with me too so looks forward to seeing new grounds etc.

Getting to the point where he bangs on about formations now and where/ how certain players should play.

Of course whether he keeps this up into his teens and adult life is another question, but he's certainly made a good start.

On 20/03/2021 at 11:49, 47er said:

I totally agree with you 47er, who's currently tackling that issue (fecking nobody I suspect!)

Unlike other clubs, who have similar issues to face and endeavour to overcome, as you eluded to: We as a proud but depleted fanbase have also to consider other factors in to the equation (of a sky blue and 'Jimmy Hill' connection, nod nod, wink wink), unite and as one body, fucking see them off!

WE ARE BLACKBURN ROVERS FC    (For the oldies, ie most of us: BR, BRF, BRFC OK!!!)

FFS, Gird up your loins, keep the faith and fight the fight!

Edited by darrenrover
On 20/03/2021 at 11:36, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m in that picture somewhere in the DE Enclosure - got a hailstorm of coins at the end from the Villains in the Darwen End. Cracking game though.

I was on the DE enclosure that day, what a great game. Seem to remember Alan McInally warming up in front of us with what looked like a boiler suit on.

On 20/03/2021 at 09:35, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was the only time I took my eldest son to Ewood. He’d be about 11 and he spent the whole game just looking around the ground and hardly watched the football at all.

He’s never been interested much in football.

I took his younger brother to an end of season game a few seasons later and he’s been hooked ever since.

We’re both trying really hard to maintain my grandson’s interest in the club but given the rubbish on display recently it’s not easy.

Tommy Doc (Wolves manager at the time) got some real grief in that game....'who's up Mary Brown'

44 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about it today. In many ways I enjoyed that day more than Anfield 95.

Don Mackay's Blue and White Army!!!!

Great time to be supporting the Club.We outnumbered the Charlton fans nearly three to one on what was virtually their own patch...so much Northern pride on show.

Something was driving the Club on it seemed,fortunes appeared to be on the up...little did we know a certain man residing in Jersey was just getting his 'Ducks in order' down Ewood way.

Happy days.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
4 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Great time to be supporting the Club.We outnumbered the Charlton fans nearly three to one on what was virtually their own patch...so much Northern pride on show.

Something was driving the Club on it seemed,fortunes appeared to be on the up...little did we know a certain man residing in Jersey was just getting his 'Ducks in order' down Ewood way.

Happy days.

vince o`keefe the hero of the day😍