BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Bolton away 1977, a loss, but some great footage.

I bet a few on here went to this.

I wasn’t at that game.

Just look at the state of the pitch yet teams could get you out of your seat with the football they played on pitches like that.   I watched the City - Chelsea semi final on a billiard table surface yesterday and it took me all my time to stay awake. 

I drove into Sheffield earlier today and driving past Hillsborough park I see 2 lads wearing the Blue and White halves loud and proud. I have to admit I've seen Rover shirts here before, could be the same lads.

This site has turned into a cauldron of misery, but when you drive into 3rd city and see Rover shirts, everything in the world is great again, lets face it, we could be Wednesday 😟

On 16/04/2021 at 21:07, rigger said:

Never forget!

Aye, was it you that ripped the ear of my Steiffe?  A quick chuck to the left side o' t' Riverside just after half time against Port Vale and he came back with only one ear and left leg hanging on by a thread!...Absolute animals left side of centre, no bloody respect for man nor bear!

Memories lads eh, simple things?

Let's fecking get that spirit back! (Young 'uns won't have a scooby doo!)

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

Mick McGrath, Ken Taylor, Ian Lawther, Ronnie Clayton (in front) and Matt Woods during a training session at Feniscowles before the FA Cup tie against Middlesbrough on February 13, 1962.  

Younger fans might like to note the state of the pitch they are training on. 

That is how it used to be

fenis.jpg

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Mick McGrath, Ken Taylor, Ian Lawther, Ronnie Clayton (in front) and Matt Woods during a training session at Feniscowles before the FA Cup tie against Middlesbrough on February 13, 1962.  

fenis.jpg

Is the pitch Feniscowles Rec?

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

fenis.jpg

Are you sure that’s Ian Lawther Jim ? It looks like Keith Newton to me.

The first game was actually played on March 5th. A 1-1 draw at Ewood. We lost the replay 3-1 to a 2nd Div team on the 11th. Another post 1960 FA Cup flop. Being fair to the team we’d played on the 2nd, 5th, 9th, 11th, 16th, 23rd, 25th, 29th of March that year.

Mick McGrath, John Byrom and Fred Pickering carried the can for the defeat and were  all dropped for the next game. I think Mick asked for a transfer afterwards. He lost his place for more or less the rest of the season, the other two were soon re-instated.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 18/04/2021 at 20:03, Gav said:

I drove into Sheffield earlier today and driving past Hillsborough park I see 2 lads wearing the Blue and White halves loud and proud. I have to admit I've seen Rover shirts here before, could be the same lads.

This site has turned into a cauldron of misery, but when you drive into 3rd city and see Rover shirts, everything in the world is great again, lets face it, we could be Wednesday 😟

There's quite a few of us here in Sheffield. When I first moved here I went to join the local pub team and I met a fellow Rovers fan playing for them already. Next season when they started a 2nd team, 2 more people turned up in Rovers shirts. During my first week at work a guy wandered across the car part in the kit ...

I've always put it down to the universities, the city attracts people from all over the place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, renrag said:

You’re thinking of the season after Tyrone. In 61/62 we reached the 6th round after beating Borough in the previous round. We lost to Fulham after an away draw, Jimmy Hill scored in the replay and I’ve never seen a celebration like it. You’d think he had scored the winner in the final and a World Cup final, all at the same time

That's when me and mates travelled down to Craven Cottage and were invited to join the Fulham supporters in their club after the game. We enjoyed a convivial evening with some lovely friendly girls. That is why Fulham has remained my favourite London football club.

I was on the Blackburn End for the replay and couldn't believe how many around us were cheering Fulham on. We had been infiltrated by a lot of Burnley supporters. It was easy in those days. All you had to do was turn up at the ground and pay your money at the turnstile.

• Like 1

Swindon away FA Cup 4th Round 1984

A few lads I used to work from Mill Hill say this was a mad away day.

Anyone on the pitch after the goal went in? Pringle jumpers galore, replay jeans and adidas trainers. 

giphy.gif

giphy (1).gif

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Rovers fans in Turkey

2D41F0X.jpg

Rovers fans at Salzburgh

DnERs8oXsAA-a-p.jpg

23rd November 2006 - Feyenoord away - What a trip, Amsterdam for 3 days was like a night out in Blackburn 80's - 4000 Rovers fans.

BHFsBAXCYAAtePF.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Anyone on the pitch after the goal went in? Pringle jumpers galore, replay jeans and adidas trainers. 

giphy.gif

giphy (1).gif

That was a brilliant day out. Those lads were in the main stand, and got booted out when we scored  and sent to the side terrace where we were.  Think this win set up the home tie against Southampton on BBC live

• Like 1

On 24/04/2021 at 06:14, Claytons Left Boot said:

Fans queuing for tickets at Ewood for the FA Cup game v Citeh, February 1969.

3D0A25C2-BF62-4B33-88B8-CC3032D1CF0E.jpeg

Is that a bit of snow to the left of the picture? The game was postponed and played at night the following Tuesday or Wednesday. I remember it as being as cold as I've ever been at Ewood Park.

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Is that a bit of snow to the left of the picture? The game was postponed and played at night the following Tuesday or Wednesday. I remember it as being as cold as I've ever been at Ewood Park.

Aye and none of the players were wearing gloves. 

• Like 2

Nah then. Rovers line up for the 1969-70 season

Note no logos, advertising, names or numbers on the front of the kit anywhere.

And this is without doubt the best Rovers kit of all time - absolutely no arguments. Beautiful. 

But can you name the players?

rovers.jpg

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Gav said:

giphy.gif

giphy (1).gif

My brother and I were at this game. We were aged 12 and 13. It was crowded in that side terrace and we couldn't see, so we went down to the front and clambered up to cling to the perimeter fence, as lots of young lads did in those days. 

At half time, the lagered up Rovers lads found they couldn't get to the gents due to the congestion, so they came down to the front and relieved themselves directly below us.

We spent the second half marooned on the fence, with the stench from the river of urine making us gag. Eventually we no choice but to make a leap of faith. My brother, being older, easily cleared the huge puddle but I landed in it and had to wade, ankle deep to safety.

Happy days!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Nah then. Rovers line up for the 1969-70 season

Note no logos, advertising, names or numbers on the front of the kit anywhere.

And this is without doubt the best Rovers kit of all time - absolutely no arguments. Beautiful. 

But can you name the players?

rovers.jpg

A couple of guesses:

Back: D/K, Conlon, Fryatt, D/K, Martin, Mulvaney

Middle: Hunter, Knighton, Kopel, Barton, Blacklaw, Sharples, Sir Keith

Front: Connelly, Wilson, Hill, Darling, Eamonn, Mekky, Atherton

7 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

A couple of guesses:

Back: D/K, Conlon, Fryatt, D/K, Martin, Mulvaney

Middle: Hunter, Knighton, Kopel, Barton, Blacklaw, Sharples, Sir Keith

Front: Connelly, Wilson, Hill, Darling, Eamonn, Mekky, Atherton

Pretty good

Back: Dewi Atherton, John Coddington, Jim Fryatt, Laurie Calloway, Don Martin,  Dick Mulvaney.

Middle row: Allan Hunter, Ken Knighton, Frank Kopel, John Barton, Adam Blacklaw, George Sharples, Sir Keith.

Front row: John Connelly, Billy Wilson, Brian Hill, Malcolm Darling, Eamonn Rogers, Stuart Metcalfe, Ray Charter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Pretty good

Back: Dewi Atherton, John Coddington, Jim Fryatt, Laurie Calloway, Don Martin,  Dick Mulvaney.

Middle row: Allan Hunter, Ken Knighton, Frank Kopel, John Barton, Adam Blacklaw, George Sharples, Sir Keith.

Front row: John Connelly, Billy Wilson, Brian Hill, Malcolm Darling, Eamonn Rogers, Stuart Metcalfe, Ray Charter.

Should’ve got Coddington. I was expecting to see Mick Wood but maybe he came through the season after. Never heard of Ray Charter, did he ever play?