BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Don’t care

The Bowyer analogy is to me the moat compiling reason to go as he was kept on way after he had run out of ideas and money. 

The flip side is since getting rid of Bowyer we've had 3 managers to take us exactly back to where we were when Bowyer should have been potted (not that he deserves the job.)

I honestly think we are stuck in an almost boom and bust cycle with our stupid owners. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Leaving aside whether or not Mowbray deserves to stay (for the record I voted stay, & explained in the Leeds thread why he's not as bad as he is often made out to be), it is impossible to ignore the question of who might be appointed in his place should he be sacked.

Just rolling the dice is not a meaningful strategy, is it?  So those who are asking that question are entirely reasonable in doing so, and before he is sacked proper thought should be given to it.

In the real world, there's more to it than just "he's crap and should be sacked", howsoever we might wish it were otherwise. 

Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Neil Warnock, Aitor Karanka, Slavisa Jokanovic, Gary Rowett, Alex Neil, Gus Poyet, Jaap Stam and Carlos Carvalhal - all are achievable managers for billionaire ambitious owners and all have strong recent track records in the Championship.

Other options could include Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis, Lee Johnson, Javi Gracia, Daniel Stendel, David Wagner

So there's 16 names I've just come up with whilst having a brew at my desk. The majority I think would relish an upward looking Championship club wanting promotion to the Premier League.

There will be many others abroad and in the lower leagues that I haven't even considered.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

If Mowbray stays, then a slow drift towards a relegation battle will happen.

I suppose a drift that takes 9 months can be classified as slow. ?

We are still 4 points off last seasons total with 5 games to play. Best case scenario we beat it by what, 3-4 points? Likely scenario we equal it.

That isn't good enough after the money he has spent and shows clear stagnation, not to mention abysmal football.

If Mowbray stays, I genuinely fear we'll sell at least 1 of Armstrong, Lenihan or Travis, and lose Dack and Nyambe next June. Bennett and Gallagher will make 90 starting appearances combined, and Walton will be our big money signing.

Time. To. Go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Neil Warnock, Aitor Karanka, Slavisa Jokanovic, Gary Rowett, Alex Neil, Gus Poyet, Jaap Stam and Carlos Carvalhal - all are achievable managers for billionaire ambitious owners and all have strong recent track records in the Championship.

Other options could include Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis, Lee Johnson, Javi Gracia, Daniel Stendel, David Wagner

So there's 16 names I've just come up with whilst having a brew at my desk. The majority I think would relish an upward looking Championship club wanting promotion to the Premier League.

There will be many others abroad and in the lower leagues that I haven't even considered.

Agree and this is what makes the situation so frustrating. Because none of them will be considered unless they have the right agent. Venkys are still corrupt and destroying us albeit in the shadows these days. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Does make me laugh how fans’ own ignorance of other managers means the one in situ should never leave.

You missed the point.

The ones calling for a change of manager earlier in the thread refused to be drawn on a successor, they had no plan, a bit like Venkys.

Also the posters who want Mowbray to stay are being pigeon holed into "Venkys can't pick a better replacement" which isn't entirely true. I personally think he deserves another 10 games with Dack back and a bit of summer trading.

I actually gave up a while back worrying who those imbeciles would appoint next to be honest.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

You missed the point.

The ones calling for a change of manager earlier in the thread refused to be drawn on a successor, they had no plan, a bit like Venkys.

Also the posters who want Mowbray to stay are being pigeon holed into "Venkys can't pick a better replacement" which isn't entirely true. I personally think he deserves another 10 games with Dack back and a bit of summer trading.

I actually gave up a while back worrying who those imbeciles would appoint next to be honest.

I’m not particularly talking about brfcs, so I’ve not missed any point. 

The wider fanbase, places like Twitter being a prime example of it, is full of fans who think Venky’s are now good owners that we should be ever so grateful to, and ALSO think TM is irreplaceable.

Their primary issue with him going is not a worry, like many of those that want him to stay on here (I’m probably in this camp myself), that the owners will pick some clown to take over, but ‘little owd Rovers’ couldn’t do any better. ‘Face facts, we are a small lower league club’ etc. Seemingly not realising that it is their beloved owners that have made us so ‘little’ and seemingly unattractive to potential managers in the first place.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Backroom

I’ve not voted but it’s a sad indictment that if I was to vote at this point it’s most likely to be ‘don’t care’

I like Tony as a man he seems a decent bloke but his presence on the sidelines is drab, he’s not a man that will make people run through walls.

Something goes wrong on the pitch and his default reaction is to bury his head into his hands, it’s infectious for all the wrong reasons.

Im sure we’ll string together another couple of good results the last few games and then waste the summer missing out on players 

Expect then we’ll have a season of lower mid table a short good run followed by longer windless runs throughout the season.

Its all a grind!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

You missed the point.

10 games with Dack back and a bit of summer trading? His summer trading in the last 2 years/5 windows has been a disaster! How much more money can we afford to give him to spend on players to shoehorn into positions they are'nt capable of playing. 

Personally id have him out before this season is out. Let a new manager have a few games to look at our squad and a summer transfer window to try and shape it. Why do we also think the only managers available are free agents. As with a player we can look to purchase an up and coming manager currently at a club. We will still be an attractive outfit to an ambitious L1/2 or foreign coach. 

I dont think I could cope with another summer of Brereton and Gallagher esque signings.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Giving Richie Smallwood and Sam Hart contract extensions when they won’t play for the rest of the season. Sam Hart won’t even get in the squad when we have two left backs our injured and an emergency one out also.

Wait, what? Smallwood got a contract extension? :wacko:

Edited by Amo

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

You missed the point.

The ones calling for a change of manager earlier in the thread refused to be drawn on a successor, they had no plan

I don't get paid £300,000 per year to run the club and don't have the 'skills' that Waggott has but I don't think it is rocket science nor does it require an elaborate plan. 

Shake hands with Tony, thank him for his efforts but time for a change in track. 

Get on the phone to Mick Mccarthy to start work ASAP. Pay him more than he was on at Ipswich. Give him a bigger transfer budget. Neither should be difficult to do given the state of Ipswich's finances. 

Offer him a 3 year deal with a massive bonus for promotion. If we don't go close or look like doing after two or three attempts then shake hands and move on. 

Don't ask him to go to India unless he fancies it. Don't try and force project signings on him. 

If he won't do it despite the above then work through the list above. 

39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’m not particularly talking about brfcs, so I’ve not missed any point. 

The wider fanbase, places like Twitter being a prime example of it, is full of fans who think Venky’s are now good owners that we should be ever so grateful to, and ALSO think TM is irreplaceable.

Their primary issue with him going is not a worry, like many of those that want him to stay on here (I’m probably in this camp myself), that the owners will pick some clown to take over, but ‘little owd Rovers’ couldn’t do any better. ‘Face facts, we are a small lower league club’ etc. Seemingly not realising that it is their beloved owners that have made us so ‘little’ and seemingly unattractive to potential managers in the first place.

I'm not on twitter, I can only speak for whats going on here in Brfcsville.

The current pool of available managers is as bad as I can ever remember, how many those managers have taken a club with no money, no staff and mad owners to the Premiership?

If they sacked Mowbray today I wouldn't shed any tears, but I would if they brought the likes of Mick McCarthy in to replace him :(

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't get paid £300,000 per year to run the club and don't have the 'skills' that Waggott has but I don't think it is rocket science nor does it require an elaborate plan. 

Shake hands with Tony, thank him for his efforts but time for a change in track. 

Get on the phone to Mick Mccarthy to start work ASAP. Pay him more than he was on at Ipswich. Give him a bigger transfer budget. Neither should be difficult to do given the state of Ipswich's finances. 

Offer him a 3 year deal with a massive bonus for promotion. If we don't go close or look like doing after two or three attempts then shake hands and move on. 

Don't ask him to go to India unless he fancies it. Don't try and force project signings on him. 

If he won't do it despite the above then work through the list above. 

You may not get paid to pick a manager JH but its always good to offer an alternative if you want the current manager sacked, thats how these messageboard things work.

Whilst I don't agree with your pick, you also pulled many more names out of a hat above, only Warnock fits our requirements and that ship has sailed.

But fair play to you for the names, if we could get Hughes back with a bit of a budget I'd drive Mowbray back to Teeside myself. 

16 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Leaving aside whether or not Mowbray deserves to stay (for the record I voted stay, & explained in the Leeds thread why he's not as bad as he is often made out to be), it is impossible to ignore the question of who might be appointed in his place should he be sacked.

Just rolling the dice is not a meaningful strategy, is it?  So those who are asking that question are entirely reasonable in doing so, and before he is sacked proper thought should be given to it.

In the real world, there's more to it than just "he's crap and should be sacked", howsoever we might wish it were otherwise. 

Your posts seem to favour sticking with the management of the club (even though tactics/results say otherwise). 

Makes me wonder what your interests are. 

It could be said that the Rao family 'roll the dice' every time they've bankrolled mowbray (and they have lost, miserably) 

It's not like mowbray hasn't done some decent things - he has. 

It's just that his time is up and!! now is the time to change. 

Edited by barry_

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

I appreciate the fact you’ve given us a big list to mull over, whenever the time comes for Mowbray’s departure. I am realistic enough to know he won’t be here forever, even if the owners keep him at seasons end.

I don’t even want a change right now, but if I did, I think I would offer Steven Gerrard. Why? He’s young, a big name, won scads of trophies & big games, loves & understands the game, and would give the fans the idea we’re not simply going after some old, tired, retread guy that everybody has had. He’s a winner, Rangers beating Celtic the first time in six years under him. 

We got King Kenny at one time, the heart & soul of LFC, and that turned out great; why not his successor?

Edited by WacoRover

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

David Wagner is managing in the Bundesliga with Schalke. Stam has just took a job in MLS only 6 weeks ago. Jokanovic is earning millions in Qatar

Can Hughes work without his regular coaching staff which he never has before. Warnock always 

Stendel? sacked by Barnsley and Hearts in his last 2 jobs

Gus Poyet? 

isn't Javi Gracia more of head coach during his career than a manager? has he ever been in charge of buying players? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

David Wagner is managing in the Bundesliga with Schalke. Stam has just took a job in MLS only 6 weeks ago. Jokanovic is earning millions in Qatar

Can Hughes work without his regular coaching staff which he never has before. Warnock always 

Stendel? sacked by Barnsley and Hearts in his last 2 jobs

Gus Poyet? 

isn't Javi Gracia more of head coach during his career than a manager? has he ever been in charge of buying players? 

Wagner will be lucky to survive at Schalke after a disappointing season. We could position ourselves ready to strike.

You seem eager to rubbish every ambitious suggestion. No wonder we end up with the jokers of the world like Coyle in the dugout.

Stendel was sacked by Barnsley for non football reasons and didn't have long enough to turn around Hearts who were bottom when he joined.

Gus Poyet - not my cup of tea but has a good record and is high profile and available.

Methinks you will just try to find any reason imaginable to rubbish any suggestion. 

I came up with 16 suggestions all with proven track records. Yes they may cost but what's the point in going cheap on the most important job at the club when £150 million in the red?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JHRover said: 

I came up with 16 suggestions all with proven track records. Yes they may cost but what's the point in going cheap on the most important job at the club when £150 million in the red?

I think you made some great suggestions; again, why not put Gerrard on that list, for the reasons I stated? 

Just now, JHRover said:

Wagner will be lucky to survive at Schalke after a disappointing season. We could position ourselves ready to strike.

You seem eager to rubbish every ambitious suggestion. No wonder we end up with the jokers of the world like Coyle in the dugout.

Stendel was sacked by Barnsley for non football reasons and didn't have long enough to turn around Hearts who were bottom when he joined.

Gus Poyet - not my cup of tea but has a good record and is high profile and available.

Methinks you will just try to find any reason imaginable to rubbish any suggestion. 

I am grateful that you have come up with the list of 16 names and it isn't your job. We all have own choices who we would like to see replace Mowbray when he does go. I wouldn't get rid and give him this summer to use this scouting network he wanted at the club to make some signings and see how next season work out. 

I would like Damien Johnson given a chance to be manager/head coach here and he would be my 1st choice. Other names I would look is Karl Robinson or Lee Bowyer or Gary Rowett or Richard Wellens or Gareth Ainsworth. Maybe even a foreign head coach if we are going to change the structure and go for Sporting Director/head coach structure. But I haven't watched enough foreign football to suggest possible head coach. 

Gus Poyet is high profile? No thanks. Good record? didn't he failed to get Brighton up. Sacked Sunderland, the chinese club he was at and wasn't he sacked at Bordeaux within 9 months?

You know my feelings on McCarthy and Hughton already so I wont go over them again. 

Hughes has never worked without Mark Bowen or Eddie Niedzwiecki. So with both at Reading and no signs of them leaving there. Can he do it without them which is a very valid concern? you not agree? 

or Javi Gracia who has been a head coach in his career like Watford so what is his background in terms of buying players or even having input to recruitment and scouting systems? has he even done it before

• Like 1

Reading through this thread and looking at the poll figures it is plain that the majority of Rovers fans want a change of manager. It also seems that many fans who are advocating sticking with Mowbray are doing so on the basis of fear of getting someone worse - better the devil you know.

It's interesting that at the time of this post 8% of voters don't care what happens - and those are fans who are involved enough to use BRFCS. Imagine the thousands who really don't care any more. That is a really damning reflection on the state of the club.

What is common to all 3 camps is the lack of any optimism at all. Nobody seems to think we could be a successful, ambitious, well run club any time soon. The current situation may be slightly better than in some previous years but that is mainly due to Mowbray's Mr Nice Guy persona. In reality he has pulled off a masterstroke by installing Waggott and sweet talking Venky's. The club seems stable because there are no internal rumblings - no wonder really. Owners, board, manger all reasonably happy and totally secure. Who cares what the fans feel?

This period of calm could have worked in the club's favour as Venky's were happy to loosen the purse strings for Mowbray but, unfortunately, he has blown that golden opportunity with appalling signings on long contracts. Can you imagine John Williams allowing any manager to gamble such a percentage of the budget on unproven players. The scouting system seems to be non-existent and we all suspect certain agencies still rule the roost.I doubt we will get that opportunity again.

The whole club seems to be on easy street and the players don't know the value of the shirt. We are missing a Bill Fox behind the scenes reminding the players how privileged they are to represent the famous Blackburn Rovers.

So if Mowbray stays or goes will it make any difference? Is there any plan whatsoever to put the club back on the right track? When will the debt stop spiralling out of control? No wonder there is no optimism. Does anyone truly enjoy following Rovers at the moment - pre/post match in the pub apart ?

The only route back to having a club to be proud of is if the owners leave. It may take administration or relegation or any other unforeseen scenario but i'd take any of those to get the club back to something like it used to be when it was a privilege and a source of pride and actually fun to be a Rovers fan. If Venky's suddenly change and start showing a serious interest than I will hold up my hands and say 'fair play' I was wrong. It's not going to happen is it?

The only way I can show my disapproval of the owners is by boycotting home games which I have done since the appointment of Owen Coyle - that was the final straw for me. If more fans boycott then they may get the message. The club is currently soulless and hopeless and a shadow of what it was pre-Venky's.

Mowbray stays or Mowbray goes - that's not really the problem or the solution. The club needs saving. It's our club not theirs. It's painful to watch it limp along in it's current state.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Reading through this thread and looking at the poll figures it is plain that the majority of Rovers fans want a change of manager. It also seems that many fans who are advocating sticking with Mowbray are doing so on the basis of fear of getting someone worse - better the devil you know.

It's interesting that at the time of this post 8% of voters don't care what happens - and those are fans who are involved enough to use BRFCS. Imagine the thousands who really don't care any more. That is a really damning reflection on the state of the club.

What is common to all 3 camps is the lack of any optimism at all. Nobody seems to think we could be a successful, ambitious, well run club any time soon. The current situation may be slightly better than in some previous years but that is mainly due to Mowbray's Mr Nice Guy persona. In reality he has pulled off a masterstroke by installing Waggott and sweet talking Venky's. The club seems stable because there are no internal rumblings - no wonder really. Owners, board, manger all reasonably happy and totally secure. Who cares what the fans feel?

This period of calm could have worked in the club's favour as Venky's were happy to loosen the purse strings for Mowbray but, unfortunately, he has blown that golden opportunity with appalling signings on long contracts. Can you imagine John Williams allowing any manager to gamble such a percentage of the budget on unproven players. The scouting system seems to be non-existent and we all suspect certain agencies still rule the roost.I doubt we will get that opportunity again.

The whole club seems to be on easy street and the players don't know the value of the shirt. We are missing a Bill Fox behind the scenes reminding the players how privileged they are to represent the famous Blackburn Rovers.

So if Mowbray stays or goes will it make any difference? Is there any plan whatsoever to put the club back on the right track? When will the debt stop spiralling out of control? No wonder there is no optimism. Does anyone truly enjoy following Rovers at the moment - pre/post match in the pub apart ?

The only route back to having a club to be proud of is if the owners leave. It may take administration or relegation or any other unforeseen scenario but i'd take any of those to get the club back to something like it used to be when it was a privilege and a source of pride and actually fun to be a Rovers fan. If Venky's suddenly change and start showing a serious interest than I will hold up my hands and say 'fair play' I was wrong. It's not going to happen is it?

The only way I can show my disapproval of the owners is by boycotting home games which I have done since the appointment of Owen Coyle - that was the final straw for me. If more fans boycott then they may get the message. The club is currently soulless and hopeless and a shadow of what it was pre-Venky's.

Mowbray stays or Mowbray goes - that's not really the problem or the solution. The club needs saving. It's our club not theirs. It's painful to watch it limp along in it's current state.

Boycotts have been completely pointless.

• Like 1

Face it, Venky’s isn’t leaving. Boycotts have done nothing in the past. This is the only Blackburn Rovers Football Club we will ever have.

If the club is soulless and hopeless, nothing would lift our spirits like the appointment of a fresh young face, a winner. When the time comes, Steven Gerrard would be my choice. 

Edited by WacoRover