BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackpool (A) - Tuesday 25th August

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Downing was the right kind of experience and player but sadly he was too expensive and there aren't many about like that. Johnson was the opposite, he has something about him but looks shot or half arsed.

No more of those thanks.

Agreed, but as decent as Downing was considering his age, that type of signing is never going to propel you to promotion imo.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the game tonight and great to see so many young players on the pitch.

I thought Johnson was excellent in midfield and Holtby played some really intelligent passes.  Whilst I'm not his greatest fan, I thought Brereton looked sharp and took his goals very well.  Fisher - who I've always rated - looked the part and his handling was excellent.  Young Dolan gave another impressive display and was particularly impressed with his defensive work - perhaps Chapman could take note of how the youngster was prepared to chase back at times.

Blackpool's was very much an experimental line-up but, ultimately, you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that and looked very impressive at times.  Only disappointment for me was another insipid display from Travis who, like Saturday, let the game pass him by without getting involved.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Why the hell are people STILL paying for shite like this and ifollow. GET IPTV. Flawless coverage all game tonight, again.

Whilst I have a tiny bit of sympathy when it's Sky or BT having their content stolen and sold on by criminals for their own profit, in this case I really don't. 

This is Blackpool and Rovers trying to provide a service to their fans at a reasonable price, and maybe bring in a few thousand quid whilst they can't sell any tickets.

Edit - and just by the way, if everyone went down your route of stealing the coverage, how would there even be any TV pictures available? 

Edited by Ben Frost

52 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm quite excited by the potential emergence of various young players like Brereton, Pike, Wharton, (Chapman?) and  Dolan. The Covid crisis might be the best thing  that's happened to us if it forces us to rely on youth.

I just hope Tony doesn't cite the need for "experience" and bring in a few one last payday merchants on loan to block the youngsters' progression.

I agree to an extent Rev.

From what we saw tonight and given the players we have to come back we have enough threat going forward.  Defence still scares me to death though.  

Also the tactical connundrum of fitting Dack back into the team

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, but 2 or 3 older heads to provide the know how while you build a young team. That's a "long term plan" not spending a fortune on mediocre loanees and players in their twilight years every season to limp in in midtable.

For example I don't think it's necessary to sign 2 CB's , I'd rather see Wharton challenging for a starting position. If Lenihan's as good as people say he is then Wharton or anyone else should find it easy to play alongside him.

I'd say Lenihan is an average championship CB. No more no less.  That he looks our best defender is more a criticism of the others.   I wouldn't want to risk playing Wharton or Carter with him all season.  For me Wharton should be 3rd choice, filling in where necessary.  

An experienced partner for Lennihan would be a shrewd addition. 

I'd also hope to see our full backs play as full backs and not be asked to bomb up and down the wing. 

JRC and the little Dolan lad look like they can beat a man out wide but are also happy to track back. 

• Like 1

I feel much better after that performance than I did Saturday.

Brereton and Armstrong up front is the way forward, get Dack in behind, and play Travis and Rothwell and one of Davenport/Evans/Johnson in the middle. 4-3-1-2.

JRC was unreal in the first half, the boy can take anyone’s job. Fittest Rover I have seen in years.

I like Bell, but that was shocking.

Need a CB and a LB, and I think we are good. Love the academy guys starting to come through. 

• Like 1

Well and what do you know. Play Holtby as a holding midfielder, you know, his actual position, and not as a striker - and we play well. Long may it continue.

For those asking about Dan Pike, he’s been the Under 18’s Right back and occasionally the Under 23’s right back for a while now. Came on and played LB but basically as a left winger. For someone so out of position he was pretty competent for the 15 minutes he was on the pitch.

Dolan is a treat and deserves real minutes against Doncaster at the weekend for me.

I thought both Wharton and Williams looked as average as each other, both get the same result but I don’t think either are Top 6 quality.

2 goals from Brereton of course but Joe Rankin-Costello my man of the match. Such a shame Ryan Nyambe is so good these days as I think JRC would get into quite a few Championship teams. Put some great balls into the box, looked a constant threat down the right and personally I’d work him in as the left-back ahead of Amari’i Bell any day of the week.

Another positive result, with not many negatives, and luckily for JRC, with Ryan’s injury, he’s set to get a start in the cup on Saturday which I think is more than deserved.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Only disappointment for me was another insipid display from Travis who, like Saturday, let the game pass him by without getting involved.

I’d have to say that I believe as the single pivot in midfield moving forward, Travis being less involved isn’t a poor thing. As the great Tugay can always show you, the best midfielders are the ones who you barely even notice. It’s the things off the ball with players like Trav, knowing where to be so that tackles and blocks aren’t even necessary. We had so much of the ball tonight that a big aggressive tackler just wasn’t required.

And then of course it’s pre-season. He’ll be on a tight leash to a) not injure himself and b) no injure other teams players as to avoid giving Rovers a poor reputation for pre-seasons to come.

Just now, JoeH said:

Well and what do you know. Play Holtby as a holding midfielder, you know, his actual position, and not as a striker - and we play well. Long may it continue.

For those asking about Dan Pike, he’s been the Under 18’s Right back and occasionally the Under 23’s right back for a while now. Came on and played LB but basically as a left winger. For someone so out of position he was pretty competent for the 15 minutes he was on the pitch.

Dolan is a treat and deserves real minutes against Doncaster at the weekend for me.

I thought both Wharton and Williams looked as average as each other, both get the same result but I don’t think either are Top 6 quality.

2 goals from Brereton of course but Joe Rankin-Costello my man of the match. Such a shame Ryan Nyambe is so good these days as I think JRC would get into quite a few Championship teams. Put some great balls into the box, looked a constant threat down the right and personally I’d work him in as the left-back ahead of Amari’i Bell any day of the week.

Another positive result, with not many negatives, and luckily for JRC, with Ryan’s injury, he’s set to get a start in the cup on Saturday which I think is more than deserved.

Is Holtby naturally a holding midfielder? More of a number 10 surely?

Of course first of all we cant make conclusions based on a friendly. On the rare occasions that he has played deeper for us, he has not impressed. Barnsley at home last season he was fairly ineffective and Leeds away he was all over the shop. He is good technically but hes not the tidiest on the ball at times, I think hes better further forward sliding passes through as he did for the second. E

Rankin Costello definitely is not a left back, he did his best last season but you could tell he was out of place at left back. Of course he will be needed at RB at the weekend but I dont think long term he is defensively good enough to be a full back. I still think that we are short across the front 3 if that is how we are going to play, surely Rankin Costello can have a role to play on the left hand side, assuming that Armstrong will be central and Brereton to the right?

30 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

On the two showings so far, Dolan must already be pushing to be involved in and around the first team. How on earth did he not get a new contract at PNE? 

I dunno, its absolutely hilarious though. This boy looks unreal, a gift from the fitba gods. Loved his 50 metre sprint back today to diffuse a counter attack. Wow.

• Like 2

This Holtby sitting in front of defense could be a master stroke for a team that wants to dominate the ball. He is tougher than he looks but certainly isn't that quick or skillful. Technique wise he is excellent though and has a great range of passing, ala Downing, so maybe he would contribute more sitting in. 

Travis - Holtby - Rothwell

------------Dack--------------

Brereton------Armstrong

Would need the legs of Travis and Rothwell to get box to box.

I think there will be some last chance saloons for a few players this coming season. Rothwell, is not young anymore and should be close to the finished article of what we can expect from him, Chapman needs to force his way into contention and Holtby really has to consistently show us what he is all about as on the whole, he has not lived up to his reputation. 

With a lot of deadwood gone, you would imagine that they would all feature more prominently however they could fall further down the pecking order should some of the newer kids start to really kick on (Buckley, JRC, Vale, Butterworth and Dolan).

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

Can JRC not play the right midfield /wing position ahead of Nyambe.  Would imagine they could link up very well together 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can JRC not play the right midfield /wing position ahead of Nyambe.  Would imagine they could link up very well together 

Personally if I had my way, and I know that I won't be agreed with (and I'm definitely not looking for that), I look at our squad and for me the best two defenders at the club are Lenihan and Nyambe - so I'd pair them up.

JRC as an attacking full back, with Nyambe, Lenihan and Wharton in a three (letting Wharton play with less pressure in system he's played in for three seasons). Would just need to find a tolerable left-back.

That's my view anyway. Let Nyambe do what he does best, which these days is defending. Allows us to play a much higher defensive line because Nyambe has the pace to sweep up in behind when balls are played over the top. Win win for me. 

Edited by JoeH

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Personally if I had my way, and I know that I won't be agreed with (and I'm definitely not looking for that), I look at our squad and for me the best two defenders at the club are Lenihan and Nyambe - so I'd pair them up.

JRC as an attacking full back, with Nyambe, Lenihan and Wharton in a three (letting Wharton play with less pressure in system he's played in for three seasons). Would just need to find a tolerable left-back.

That's my view anyway. Let Nyambe do what he does best, which these days is defending. Allows us to play a much higher defensive line because Nyambe has the pace to sweep up in behind when balls are played over the top. Win win for me. 

Nyambe is way too weak in the air for CB in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Nyambe is way too weak in the air for CB in my opinion.

Maybe. Personally in a three I think Lenihan can take control of that as he has the freedom of two beside him to really push up to win balls in the air.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Maybe. Personally in a three I think Lenihan can take control of that as he has the freedom of two beside him to really push up to win balls in the air.

I just think who ever we played would stick a big man on Nyambe and punt high balls in.

It's a major problem that the only player who can head a ball in defence (maybe the whole club to be honest) is Lenihan.

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's a major problem that the only player who can head a ball in defence (maybe the whole club to be honest) is Lenihan.

I think Wharton is okay in the air

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed, but as decent as Downing was considering his age, that type of signing is never going to propel you to promotion imo.

Yes they are plugging holes with guys costing big wages only to help get midtable mediocrity, kind of shows the wrong approach. In the longer run false economy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Sharpe makes the point in the LT today that Holtby, although a good player, allowed B/Pool to break through the lines and on to the back 4 quite easily. He isn't a defensive midfielder.

His legs have gone, no way he can hold the midfield in the season proper. 

• Like 1

Holtby is another knee jerk signing that kind of sums up the scattergun approach. Decent player but made of glass comes available because other clubs don't fancy taking the risk even though they might like him. We get wind of it, dive in sign him up then spend the next 12 months wondering how to use him.

We need to move away from this system to something a bit more balanced because we have the base of a decent squad now.  It's fair enough when you are throwing one together quickly but time for some smart thinking now.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1