BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Middlesbrough Tuesday 3rd November

24 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Really? I have to disagree with this take personally. You've got two young goalkeepers in Pears and Stergiakis, one of which has considerable Championship experience in comparison to the other. I think with Kaminski fit we'd have shipped one less goal vs Reading (still a loss at 3-2) and one less goal vs Swansea (still a loss at 1-0).

Pears hasn't been amazing but to say he's now "one of Mowbray's favourites" when it's clear he's not even the first choice goalkeeper is a bit over the top. 

How does Stergiakis have better credentials?

The lack of Champ experience didn't look to have affected Kaminski, if you're good enough you'll cope it's as simple as that.

Maybe Pears will but we are back to having a raw rookie keeper between the sticks already, someone with far less pro experience than the last number 2.  So there can be no surprises or excuses if it back fired.

Hopefully it won't but is this the real way to build a promotion squad ?  Not imo, it's a risky strategy that yet again puts the experiment of players before points.

Edited by tomphil

1 minute ago, Dolly blue said:

With regard to “ The Pears debate”....and who has the better credentials, he or the Greek....neither was the answer when they were signed. They are both perfect examples of poor scouting , panic signings.  
....but , for Pears he has much against him...

1 Warnock saw he had little to offer ...got rid.

2 He’s been given a 4 year deal ( scandalous )

3 He’s not big enough to cope with the physicality of the championship 

4 He’s the son of Mowbray’s  mate

5 He’s yet another “ Boro lad “ who takes our money but gives us nowt 

He will have to endure the negative criticism which Rovers  fans level at him..............quite wrong.........level it at Mowbray. 

Yes, I have worried about all those things.

However, I am not sure he could have done much about any of the 6(!) goals conceded, since Tommy K was injured. Mind you, I haven't analysed other things like his general command and control of his area...

59 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think this is indicative from Sharpe.

When oh when will Mowbray stop this, IMO, feckin madness of players not in their natural positions.

As for tonight, without Armstrong, wonder if Mowbray/Rovers might revert to the early post-lockdown approach, but with Elliott as the 'centre forward' and Gallagher and Brereton outside of him. Be a welcome boost to the midfield balance too if Rothwell is available.

I joked about him doing this earlier in the thread.

If he does this, any lingering hopes i have of being able to back him any longer will evaporate.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Are you really being serious!?!?

Pears has about 20 games experience in the entire Football League across a 4+ year career.

Stergiakis has some 80 games' experience in the Bulgarian top league including Europa games.

There is simply no comparison in terms of experience and I would suggest ability (you don't play the number of games Stergiakis has at that level unless you are capable).

I think it's clear, Warnock didn't rate Pears and I know whose judgement (versus Mowbray) I trust on a footballer's abilities.

Based on his unconvincing appearances for us so far, I think Pears is a disaster waiting to happen.  A four year contract for Pears is, IMO, the height of footballing lunacy.  Just where was he going until Mowbray stepped in? 

Just now, tomphil said:

The lack of Champ experience didn't look to have affected Kaminski, if you're good enough you'll cope it's as simple as that.

Maybe Pears will but we are back to having a raw rookie keeper between the sticks already, someone with far less pro experience than the last number 2.  So there can be no surprises or excuses if it back fired.

Hopefully it won't but is this the real way to build a promotion squad ?  Not imo.

Again, I am not defending Pears individually, his first 2 games have really not given me much faith especially around his stature and also his positioning.

But I do think that sometimes there is a little bit more intrigue and excitement comes around signings from abroad than sometimes is necessary warranted.

Kaminski didnt have Championship experience but he had played hundreds of games at the top end of the Belgian League which is the 8th strongest top league in Europe. He is also in his late 20s and has plenty of experience full stop.

Stergiakis was playing in the Bulgarian league which is considered the 27th strongest top league in Europe, considered weaker than the leagues in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Belarus.

He did also play in the Europa League this season when they were knocked out 2-1 in the first round to Albanian minnows Kukesi.

Even if "that level" was a seemingly high level Mercer, which it isnt, then surely you know that many players play beyond their level, Jason Lowe played hundreds of games for us.

• Like 1

@Sparks Rover @Mercer I'm not putting everyone through the pain of repeating myself and filling up the thread with a silly argument. To answer Q's: Yes I am serious, and no I am not the same person as another poster as suggested. It's just a discussion, try and keep things calm.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Really? I have to disagree with this take personally. You've got two young goalkeepers in Pears and Stergiakis, one of which has considerable Championship experience in comparison to the other. I think with Kaminski fit we'd have shipped one less goal vs Reading (still a loss at 3-2) and one less goal vs Swansea (still a loss at 1-0).

Pears hasn't been amazing but to say he's now "one of Mowbray's favourites" when it's clear he's not even the first choice goalkeeper is a bit over the top. 

How does Stergiakis have better credentials?

Well for a start, he's started more games at a higher level than Pears. No doubt Championship is of a higher standard than Bulgaria L1 but the majority of Pears games have been at Gateshead. Take his Golden Boy nomination and caps at U21 level and you can already see that, that outweighs Pears' credentials? Weird to disagree with those facts I think.

I was being facetious about him being one of his favourites - lighten up!

Botton line is - It's evident to see that Pears isn't up to it. Leutweiler was crucified for a hell of a lot worse in his time here. Time to see if Stergiakos is up to it.

It’s ridiculous that we have our 2 star players, first choice goalie, best defender, and best midfielder all injured for this game.

After such a promising start we have been absolutely decimated by injuries. I don’t know how you can get good performances out of a team with that many key players missing.

At this stage I just hope we can stay within touching distance of the playoffs until we have most players return.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Well for a start, he's started more games at a higher level than Pears. No doubt Championship is of a higher standard than Bulgaria L1 but the majority of Pears games have been at Gateshead. Take his Golden Boy nomination and caps at U21 level and you can already see that, that outweighs Pears' credentials? Weird to disagree with those facts I think.

I was being facetious about him being one of his favourites - lighten up!

Botton line is - It's evident to see that Pears isn't up to it. Leutweiler was crucified for a hell of a lot worse in his time here. Time to see if Stergiakos is up to it.

Its the level that Stergiakis has played at being assumed to be high enough to be relevant to the standard of the Championship.

In regards to playing at a level equal to or better than the Championship, Kaminski ticked that box.

Between the other 2, I suspect that the only relevant experience of any competent standard is Pears' 20 games at Championship level. His loan spell at Gateshead obviously is too low to be very relevant. But the Bulgarian league is 27th in the coefficients as I mentioned, behind the leagues in Kazahkstan, Azerbaijan and Belarus. I am not really sure that games in that league are warranted "credentials."

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Pears has something like 24 appearances in 4 years at Boro and his most games have come not even in the pro leagues for Gatesheed.

Hardly surprising if he doesn't look the part he's far from it. If he's been brought in now as number 2 it begs more questions about what actually goes through their heads when they think they are improving the back line.

Then again nepotism plays a big part in this regime.

17 appearances in the Championship last season.

13 minutes ago, Miker said:

It’s ridiculous that we have our 2 star players, first choice goalie, best defender, and best midfielder all injured for this game.

After such a promising start we have been absolutely decimated by injuries. I don’t know how you can get good performances out of a team with that many key players missing.

At this stage I just hope we can stay within touching distance of the playoffs until we have most players return.

I asked earlier, maybe our S&C staff need to go. There’s no reason every year to have this many guys go down. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I asked earlier, maybe our S&C staff need to go. There’s no reason every year to have this many guys go down. 

If players were pulling up in training left, right and centre with training related injuries then there'd be cause for concern, but there's only Kaminski and Rothwell that have injuries you could even begin to attempt to link to training. 

But right now most of our injuries are COVID related, or long-term injuries due to tackles in matches.

Boro's fanbase in positive mood about this evening, and praising Warnock for bringing an air of positivity back to the club...:( 

(https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/11322-boro-v-blackburn-rovers/page/5/#comments)

Their Mods are even writing poetry (Haiku) about it...

Everything in Moderation

•  
  • boro-unger
  • Moderators
  • 13,547 posts

Blackburn, oh Blackburn
Old Boro legend in charge
Tomorrow, beaten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ruaney said:

I'd go for the following tonight:

Stergiakos

Nyambe Lenihan Williams JRC

Rothwell Trybull Holtby

Dolan Elliot Brereton

Ayala needs to come in for Lenihan ASAP

I agree. I wouldn't have Gallagher and Evans anywhere near the starting line up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruaney said:

I'd go for the following tonight:

Stergiakos

Nyambe Lenihan Williams JRC

Rothwell Trybull Holtby

Dolan Elliot Brereton

Ayala needs to come in for Lenihan ASAP

Key player for me is Rothwell. We all know Pears will start  - and though I like your forward line it is likely Gallagher will start - if he does I hope for once it is as a centre forward and not out on the wide.

12 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Key player for me is Rothwell. We all know Pears will start  - and though I like your forward line it is likely Gallagher will start - if he does I hope for once it is as a centre forward and not out on the wide.

Yeah, I really think we have missed Rothwell. Shame he got COVID when he did because he and Holtby have finally found their best positions for us and Rothwell really makes this new formation of ours work in my opinion.

I really can't stand Gallagher, he just seems to offer absolutely nothing every time he plays. I obviously hope he proves me wrong when he is on the pitch but I have instant frustration every  time I hear he s about to come on as a sub ?

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Pears has something like 24 appearances in 4 years at Boro and his most games have come not even in the pro leagues for Gatesheed.

Hardly surprising if he doesn't look the part he's far from it. If he's been brought in now as number 2 it begs more questions about what actually goes through their heads when they think they are improving the back line.

Then again nepotism plays a big part in this regime.

Good post. 

What gets me is we paid money for a third choice keeper that Boro didn't want. 

Also the last third choice keeper from Boro didn't turn out very well at all...

• Like 1

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, A Northern Horde... said:

Just can't put Rovers on an Accy atm..so unpredictable it's untue...roll that Dice??????

Few prediction sites I look at sometimes, not one of them has us down for a win.

4 sites = 0-1, 1-1, 0-2, 1-1.

Even the neutrals have lost confidence in us. ??

Also for all TMs complaints I'm not sure half the teams in the championship could afford to have spent 12 mill on what are 2 squad players, afford Elliott's wages, and also not have had to get rid of a single player they don't want to. The hard luck story has its limits given the leeway that TM has had in assembling the squad. 

Think tonight has draw written all over it. Boro are hard to beat, we won't want to get beat again, so a draw the likely outcome. 

• Like 1