BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Marshall - Under The Cosh Podcast #89

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw a clip from the Undr the Cosh with Mark Atkins.

He said Alan Shearer came in on £10k a week when Rovers were first promoted to the Premier League and he was on a basic wage of £1,200 a week.

Different world to now.

It may be on another thread too, but I got around to listening to the Keith Treacy one over the past week.  

He never really did much at Rovers so didn't pay much attention to him so had no idea what his history was. 

It was an interesting one, he doesn't shy away from his demons. I bet he was a nightmare to deal with. 

On 21/04/2022 at 21:20, LeftWinger said:

The bit I'm referring to is at 5:00 minutes.
I've not watched the full thing.

I have now watched quite a few of their podcasts.

Brown a bit of a tool who just lurks like a bit of a weirdo. The other guys give far more input.

The Andy Woodman one is good. His 8 year contract story hilarious.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Looking forward to the full version of the Atkins one.

Brown is the quieter one on there, the other two carry it. I have heard Brown acknowledge how poor he was at Rovers on that channel before. I'm sure they were once having a laugh about the stick he would often get on twitter for not being able to score when at Rovers.

The ones I've enjoyed the most are those involving 'The Entertainers' from that Newcastle era. The John Beresford and Steve Howey podcasts were funny and interesting, I thought.

7 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Looking forward to the full version of the Atkins one.

Brown is the quieter one on there, the other two carry it. I have heard Brown acknowledge how poor he was at Rovers on that channel before. I'm sure they were once having a laugh about the stick he would often get on twitter for not being able to score when at Rovers.

The ones I've enjoyed the most are those involving 'The Entertainers' from that Newcastle era. The John Beresford and Steve Howey podcasts were funny and interesting, I thought.

I'm watching the Ben Marshall one now and Brown comes across better in this one, talking more.

Ben Marshall on the other hand, no wonder pro footballers get a bad rap. Same goes for the Treacy one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm watching the Ben Marshall one now and Brown comes across better in this one, talking more.

Ben Marshall on the other hand, no wonder pro footballers get a bad rap. Same goes for the Treacy one.

The Ben Marshall one is a fascinating insight though.

• Like 3

My favourites of recent times, the Mulgrew and Danny Graham ones. The Craig Conway one with punching Calzaghe is also brilliant 

I think there is a Chris brown quote in one of those about “they still think it’s 95” and plenty on the stuff about the team preferring to play away at that time.

54 minutes ago, JBiz said:

My favourites of recent times, the Mulgrew and Danny Graham ones. The Craig Conway one with punching Calzaghe is also brilliant 

I think there is a Chris brown quote in one of those about “they still think it’s 95” and plenty on the stuff about the team preferring to play away at that time.

I've not watched those 3 yet but going to the top of my to do list ☺️

Wasn't Brown involved in some sort of X video thing ?

Maybe someone should ask him about that, guy is just another of footballs many knobs. Been fortunate enough to earn a living out of it for a while and very fortunate to play for a club who 'still think it's 95'.

Only thing he's known for outside of Doncaster is these podcasts, glad hes found some relevance finally. 

Useless t##t  🙂

• Like 3

I think Brown is fine and seems to have enjoyed the dressing room here if not so much the games. He approaches it with good humour though and acknowledges he was crap.

Can recommend the Sonny Pike one. I remember him well, being a similar age, when it was apparently nailed on that he was the next Ronaldinho at only 11 years old.

Greg Dyke, and in particular Sonny's dad, were absolute twats with the boy but he seems to have made his peace with it.

Great podcast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Maybe someone should ask him about that, guy is just another of footballs many knobs. Been fortunate enough to earn a living out of it for a while and very fortunate to play for a club who 'still think it's 95'.

Only thing he's known for outside of Doncaster is these podcasts, glad hes found some relevance finally. 

Useless t##t  🙂

Yeah whilst he was at Sunderland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Useless t##t  🙂

The only thing standout about him is his nose.

• Like 1

One terrible opinion of mine that I generally keep quiet about is that Chris Brown was better than he's remembered. Or at least you'd be surprised at the number of game threads with posters writing "Brown actually wasn't that bad today..."

Don't get me wrong, he was ultimately shit haha. 0 goals across 41 games is horrific no matter how you slice it. He did have some comical misses...

I do recall him putting in a hell of a workmanlike performance away against Charlton (checking now, we did have a 3-1 win where he played all 90 minutes back in March 2015, so my memory may not be completely messing with me!)

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

The Ben Marshall one is a fascinating insight though.

Yeah, he clearly was/is a knob, but it was some welcome honesty. We all wish our players were boring, 100% committed, fitness freaks, etc. but that's often far, far from the truth... Marshall definitely had the talent...

Seems it sadly took Marshall falling into depression to maybe get his head in order (or at least be honest with himself). He's a decent storyteller too.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Brown the ex-player is the straight man, Parkin the foil. Brown is quieter but tries to ask better questions.

Of all the ones I've listened to (probably 20 or so) I think that the Marshall one was the best. It had a bit of everything. Simon Ferry was good because of the way he portrayed Di Canio and Gravesen although there was little insight into the game nor was he a memorable player.

The John Sheridan one was crap. His Manc accent grated.

• Like 1

The magic sponge has some cracking stories, better than undr the cosh.

it’s quite old now but jimmy bullard hosts it, David Bentley did a good one, crossleys stories are good on their to ablut clough and the goalkeeper at Liverpool who ended up at millwall was a belter (can’t remember his name)

edit. Tony Warner 

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

One terrible opinion of mine that I generally keep quiet about is that Chris Brown was better than he's remembered. Or at least you'd be surprised at the number of game threads with posters writing "Brown actually wasn't that bad today..."

Don't get me wrong, he was ultimately shit haha. 0 goals across 41 games is horrific no matter how you slice it. He did have some comical misses...

I do recall him putting in a hell of a workmanlike performance away against Charlton (checking now, we did have a 3-1 win where he played all 90 minutes back in March 2015, so my memory may not be completely messing with me!)

Yeah, he clearly was/is a knob, but it was some welcome honesty. We all wish our players were boring, 100% committed, fitness freaks, etc. but that's often far, far from the truth... Marshall definitely had the talent...

Seems it sadly took Marshall falling into depression to maybe get his head in order (or at least be honest with himself). He's a decent storyteller too.

He wasn't bad at all in terms of graft although there was more goal threat in a road cone.

I remember him linking up well with Rhodes a few times and he made a career for himself after all.  

Lost all respect for him now though playing the victim having cheap digs he rarely got any stick. Not beyond anybody else who wasn't that good anyway and he was never more than a spare part here.

Obviously he must've read social media at the time and taken his opinions off that.  Moaning about a player of his calibre is hardly a stick to beat people with delusions of 1995 with.

As always with these under achievers like Mowbray as well it's an easy insult to chuck at Rovers support. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Not usually one for the cliched stories of excess and 'banter', but the Undr the Cosh with ex-West Brom midfielder Andy Johnson is brilliant. The bloke is full blown mental in the best possible way.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

https://youtu.be/Xj7TV7cwwC8

very interesting take on things. I’d encourage people to give it at listen . The majority is rovers related

its the Bradley Orr take on his time art ewood, Shebby, kean etc 

Rovers talk begins 30 minutes in. He talks about snakes and maggots but seemimgly doesn’t realise the biggest snake was the man he came out and backed. Interesting to hear from a player who was here through that truly awful time at the club though, even if it is Orr.