BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rankin-Costello

I couldn't find an existing thread for JRC. Since returning from injury I've been very impressed with how he has slotted back into the first team. He just looks like a very good football player. Positionally, technically, can pick a pass. 

I don't know whether he is to be a right back long term. But you can definitely tell there is a genuine real player there. Another that it is imperative we tie down to a long deal. 

He's also got about the coolest name in world football.

• Like 2

Before his injury I really didn't see much in him, but I've been quite impressed since he's slotted back in. Hopefully he can build on that. Assuming he signs a new contract, it does look positive having him & potentially Pike competing for RB should Nyambe end up leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Another really good footballer. Our Academy must be the envy of the Championship. 

You would wonder. At the end of the day, being top of PL 2 is nice, but if you aren't fighting for promotion,or even cashing in on the odd player, I doubt teams in the play off picture at least are in the slight bit envious. 

JRC looks good, as do some of the other graduates, now to mesh them into a winning outfit. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You would wonder. At the end of the day, being top of PL 2 is nice, but if you aren't fighting for promotion,or even cashing in on the odd player, I doubt teams in the play off picture at least are in the slight bit envious. 

JRC looks good, as do some of the other graduates, now to mesh them into a winning outfit. 

The number of Academy Grads in and around  our first team is impressive to say the least...and there's more to come. Its irrelevant whether we have yet to cash in on them, or whether we are in the PO's or not. That's a manager thing, not an Academy thing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

The number of Academy Grads in and around  our first team is impressive to say the least...and there's more to come. Its irrelevant whether we have yet to cash in on them, or whether we are in the PO's or not. That's a manager thing, not an Academy thing. 

It's not irrelevant. It's literally the key to the survival of the academy. Big difference between churning out average Championship players and ones that challenge at the top and/or command decent fees. Hopefully a new manager would mean a tendency to more of the latter. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not irrelevant. Big difference between churning out average Championship players and ones that challenge at the top. Hopefully a new manager would mean a tendency to more of the latter. 

Who are the average Championship players? And if it was so easy why isn't every other team in the Championship 'churning' them out?

So to get back to my original point, we must be the envy of every other Championship club when we can 'churn' out the likes of RN, DL, JB, JRC, LT, Raya etc etc who are all good either good championship players or potentially capable of playing higher. 

And there's plenty more to come. 

Superb effort all round and long may it continue. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 4

I think he is nailed on to be our right back next season, with Nyambe moving on, and Pike as #2. 

I saw Rich Sharpe post a stat around him starting something like 16 out of the 17 games he's been available this season. Given he has been predominantly used at right back, that tells a story.

Still disappointed about the whole Nyambe situation, he's an ever improving academy player of starting calibre in this league, but that's a different debate. I do recognise that with the JRC/Pike emergence, cashing in on Nyambe (whilst we can) would arguably be the sale that impacts the squad the least.

Agree with OP; although Bernt Haas will always be the greatest name for me.

I always saw JRC as an attacking player, as you immeditately see his technical footballing qualities. But he's surprised me this season and has grown in to that right back role well. He likes a tackle, seems to be in the right place at the right time, and wins a lot of his headers. Hopefully he can keep improving on that, and along with Pickering on the other side, we should have two good young dynamic fullbacks to watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Who are the average Championship players? And if it was so easy why isn't every other team in the Championship 'churning' them out?

So to get back to my original point, we must be the envy of every other Championship club when we can 'churn' out the likes of RN, DL, JB, JRC, Raya etc etc who are all good either good championship players or potentially capable of playing higher. 

And there's plenty more to come. 

Superb effort all round and long may it continue. 

Who has shown themselves to be consistently better than average at this level? 

Plenty of clubs have academy graduates. Birmingham sold one for 25 million not too long ago. Now that is impressive. Less so in the top 6 it seems, but the way they are doing it is working for them. 

Hopefully we start to see more success on the field transferring from under 23 level and also see more of them breaking into teams at League 1 level and below when they go out on loan, because there has been an issue with them doing that. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who has shown themselves to be consistently better than average at this level? 

Plenty of clubs have academy graduates. Birmingham sold one for 25 million not too long ago. Now that is impressive. Less so in the top 6 it seems, but the way they are doing it is working for them. 

Hopefully we start to see more success on the field transferring from under 23 level and also see more of them breaking into teams at League 1 level and below when they go out on loan, because there has been an issue with them doing that. 

Sorry, but you havent answered the question. I asked you which other club is churning so many Academy Graduates out into the 1st team? 

I'll answer it for you. Nobody, which is why our Academy is the envy of the Championship. 

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Sorry, but you havent answered the question. I asked you which other club is churning so many Academy Graduates out into the 1st team? 

I'll answer it for you. Nobody, which is why our Academy is the envy of the Championship. 

If you have done such an in-depth analysis on it, you give us the top 10 clubs for using graduates? Oh ya, you haven't a clue. Well the key is integrating them and having success. That has yet to happen, so lets cool our jets just yet. 

Whilst we are in the position we are in, the only clubs envious of us, are those below us. 

Have to say I've been very impressed with Joe in the last two games. I thought his performances earlier in the season were a bit of a mixed bag where he didn't always do himself justice, but against Millwall & Swansea he's been great. 

I just desperately hope that he can stay fit long term, both for his sake and ours. 

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If you have done such an in-depth analysis on it, you give us the top 10 clubs for using graduates? Oh ya, you haven't a clue. Well the key is integrating them and having success. That has yet to happen, so lets cool our jets just yet. 

Whilst we are in the position we are in, the only clubs envious of us, are those below us. 

You don't need to do an in-depth if you're generally aware of what occurs at other clubs and the players they have. 

I'll leave it there as you clearly aren't informed enough to carry on the discussion, and are instead, as you normally do, resorting to straw men and pointless digs. 

19 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You don't need to do an in-depth if you're generally aware of what occurs at other clubs and the players they have. 

I'll leave it there as you clearly aren't informed enough to carry on the discussion, and are instead, as you normally do, resorting to straw men and pointless digs. 

"Generally aware" lol

Best leave it at that aright 

1 hour ago, Don Said said:

I think he is nailed on to be our right back next season, with Nyambe moving on, and Pike as #2. 

I saw Rich Sharpe post a stat around him starting something like 16 out of the 17 games he's been available this season. Given he has been predominantly used at right back, that tells a story.

Still disappointed about the whole Nyambe situation, he's an ever improving academy player of starting calibre in this league, but that's a different debate. I do recognise that with the JRC/Pike emergence, cashing in on Nyambe (whilst we can) would arguably be the sale that impacts the squad the least.

I always saw JRC as an attacking player, as you immeditately see his technical footballing qualities. But he's surprised me this season and has grown in to that right back role well. He likes a tackle, seems to be in the right place at the right time, and wins a lot of his headers. Hopefully he can keep improving on that, and along with Pickering on the other side, we should have two good young dynamic fullbacks to watch.

He's not good enough a defender at the moment to nail down a full time place as a conventional right back. I can see him being more successful further up the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Said said:

Dijksteel played against us for charlton . That’s an awesome name 😁

• Like 1