BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

News From Other Leagues

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Ianrally said:

Yes 4 points but it was the places 3rd and 6th I was making an analogy to. 

Sure, but my point wasn't so much about the actual positions, but the sheer gap between 3rd and 6th being 19 points. A handful of points during the season you can put down to luck, refereeing decisions, and such... but 19 points? It just makes a bit of a mockery of getting what you deserve for 46 games worth of effort, when you can have one bad match and lose all of it to a team that performed nowhere near as well as you did throughout the season.

I know it is what it is, but I feel for Sheffield Wednesday in this instance. It simply isn't fair at all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Sure, but my point wasn't so much about the actual positions, but the sheer gap between 3rd and 6th being 19 points. A handful of points during the season you can put down to luck, refereeing decisions, and such... but 19 points? It just makes a bit of a mockery of getting what you deserve for 46 games worth of effort, when you can have one bad match and lose all of it to a team that performed nowhere near as well as you did throughout the season.

I know it is what it is, but I feel for Sheffield Wednesday in this instance. It simply isn't fair at all.

It's not about being fair. It's about making money.

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

It's not about being fair. It's about making money.

It’s also about ‘maintaining interest’ for more clubs for more of the season.

If the top three went up, the final few weeks of this season would have been about whether Luton or Middlesbrough were going to finish third.

With the playoffs, a further 8 clubs still had realistic promotion ambitions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DE. said:

Do you want a system like in Serie B where, if 3rd place is more than 15 points ahead of 4th, then there are no playoffs?

• Like 2

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

It’s also about ‘maintaining interest’ for more clubs for more of the season.

If the top three went up, the final few weeks of this season would have been about whether Luton or Middlesbrough were going to finish third.

With the playoffs, a further 8 clubs still had realistic promotion ambitions.

Playoffs make sense in some sense, I agree, but not when the points gap is as large as 19 points between 3rd and 6th. It just makes the idea of playing a season's worth of games a bit pointless when a team can be so much worse than another and still be promoted. At the end of the day it's supposed to be a sport, not a fair play league.

But as Rigger says, it's about money, and to a lesser degree entertainment. The sport aspect is a distant third.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, inflikted said:

Do you want a system like in Serie B where, if 3rd place is more than 15 points ahead of 4th, then there are no playoffs?

Makes sense to me. Although setting an arbitrary number of points is obviously contestable.

Just now, DE. said:

Makes sense to me. Although setting an arbitrary number of points is obviously contestable.

I see what you mean, but it’s also arbitrary that:

3rd place is a play off position in the championship and league one, but gains you  automatic promotion  from league two.

The bottom three get relegated from the championship, but it’s the bottom four in league one and only the bottom two in league two.

Goal difference is the first deciding factor when points are level (if it was results between the teams we’d have finished sixth!)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DE. said:

Well so do I to be fair, when I’ve seen them play they have always been a good watch and  deserve promotion on their performance over the season. 

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I see what you mean, but it’s also arbitrary that:

3rd place is a play off position in the championship and league one, but gains you  automatic promotion  from league two.

The bottom three get relegated from the championship, but it’s the bottom four in league one and only the bottom two in league two.

Goal difference is the first deciding factor when points are level (if it was results between the teams we’d have finished sixth!)

Absolutely, but if there was a certain number of points that determined whether a playoff took place or not it would for sure be contentious. Why is 14 points OK, but not 15 points? Stuff like that. There would have be some thought go into it to give a good explanation as to why a certain number of points is the absolute threshold.

With that said, nothing like that will ever happen so I guess it doesn't matter. Clubs voted in the playoffs themselves after all. I suppose the thought being that whilst they may suffer the consequences one year, as Sheff Weds look likely to this season, in future they may scrape 6th and be the beneficiary. 

Still not fair from a sporting perspective, but as noted, that isn't at the forefront of any decisions made nowadays. Well, except VAR, which in fact is valuing the sporting principle ahead of entertainment value. People hate it, granted, but I think that's more down to the people in charge being shit at using it than the system itself. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DE. said:

If they wanted an automatic place they should have got more points.