BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

News From Other Leagues

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Wigan set to start next season on -8 points after their owner once again failed to meet an agreed deadline for funding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65723359

Looks like Wigan owner doesn't have the money to fund the club anymore. If that's the case just sell the club instead of prolonging the ownership of failure 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like Wigan owner doesn't have the money to fund the club anymore. If that's the case just sell the club instead of prolonging the ownership of failure 

What an odd situation at Wigan. The players were finally paid last week, but the EFL requested £3m to be deposited in an approved account (presumably a business account relating to Wigan Athletic), and the owner left it in his own account. And now they're been docked even more points before their season begins,

Strange behaviour from their owners. I think it's befuddling everyone at the minute.

Edited by goozburger

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

But we'd prefer Wigan's owners...

I'll still die on a hill that we have the worst owners in football, but I might be alone on that hill these days.

There have been some absolute horrors turn in in recent years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goozburger said:

What an odd situation at Wigan. The players were finally paid last week, but the EFL requested £3m to be deposited in an approved account (presumably a business account relating to Wigan Athletic), and the owner left it in his own account. And now they're been docked even more points before their season begins,

Strange behaviour from their owners. I think it's befuddling everyone at the minute.

I agree there. Feel for the Wigan fans and I hope for them that they get a new owner soon

• Like 1

• Backroom

Certainly is a strange situation at Wigan. Either the bloke is a chancer, or he feels he's above adhering to regulations - and also above paying people on time. The fit and proper person's test doing a fantastic job once again. Maybe if bonuses were docked from certain people at the EFL every time an owner screws over a club the rules would become a little more stringent. 

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Certainly is a strange situation at Wigan. Either the bloke is a chancer, or he feels he's above adhering to regulations - and also above paying people on time. The fit and proper person's test doing a fantastic job once again. Maybe if bonuses were docked from certain people at the EFL every time an owner screws over a club the rules would become a little more stringent. 

He invested in the club in the first 12 months but clearly he hasn't get the money now to finance the club. 

The fit and proper person's test can only so far and it would be interesting to see how people they actually stop from buying clubs

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He invested in the club in the first 12 months but clearly he hasn't get the money now to finance the club. 

The fit and proper person's test can only so far and it would be interesting to see how people they actually stop from buying clubs

I think it's generally accepted that there needs to be a more robust system in place when it comes to authorising ownership of clubs at EFL level, but ultimately it probably needs to go to Government level to ensure chancers can't come in, wreck clubs and then hold those clubs hostage. The people who lose out the most are the club staff, fans and companies attached to the club who have no control over the owner's actions. There have been tentative steps in this direction but I think there's still a long way to go.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Can’t say I’m sad for Wigan fans at all.

They were quick to dance on our grave when they sent us down from the PL.

You reap what you sow….

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Can’t say I’m sad for Wigan fans at all.

They were quick to dance on our grave when they sent us down from the PL.

You reap what you sow….

I'd like to think we're slightly better than that. We all know the pain and embarrassment of owners, particularly those from faraway lands that are disconnected with football, and no supporter deserves that.