BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough away 28th August

Just found out i can make it tomorrow, just needed  conformation i wasn't on Grandad duty also going to watch Rochdale tonight with a eye on watching  a certain Abraham Odoh  any excuse to watch a football match,. I like Middlesbrough as i always stop off at Yarm for lunch in the Black Bull (or white Bull can't remember)..Pity it's short notice as i will have a empty car..

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Going off the bit of film Poveda is possibly the most left footed player you’ll see in a long while. Why would anybody play him on the right wing ? I think I know, Tony once saw Arjen Robben come inside onto his left foot off the right wing and bend one into the far corner and now he thinks anybody can do it.

Maybe because Elliott spent a season doing it for us with very high success?

But it's not just worked here, across our division, the top division and all over Europe it's being deployed. Not everyone uses it, but a lot do. In the Championship you've got Joe Lolley at Forest and Adam Reach at Sheffield Wednesday in his prime another. In the Premier League you've got Salah at Liverpool, Mahrez at City/Leicester, Foden at City and Pepe at Arsenal. Across Europe you've the likes of Messi at Barcelona, Bale at Madrid, Di Maria at PSG...

The list is very long. Poveda has played on the RW cutting in on his left at Man City under Pep Guardiola, at Leeds United under Marco Bielsa... so it's hardly a big tactical faux pas for Tony Mowbray to play him there too. Especially given how successful our last left-footed winger on loan was there.

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Maybe because Elliott spent a season doing it for us with very high success?

But it's not just worked here, across our division, the top division and all over Europe it's being deployed. Not everyone uses it, but a lot do. In the Championship you've got Joe Lolley at Forest and Adam Reach at Sheffield Wednesday in his prime another. In the Premier League you've got Salah at Liverpool, Mahrez at City/Leicester, Foden at City and Pepe at Arsenal. Across Europe you've the likes of Messi at Barcelona, Bale at Madrid, Di Maria at PSG...

The list is very long. Poveda has played on the RW cutting in on his left at Man City under Pep Guardiola, at Leeds United under Marco Bielsa... so it's hardly a big tactical faux pas for Tony Mowbray to play him there too. Especially given how successful our last left-footed winger on loan was there.

You’re talking world class players in the main there that do it now and again in spite of all their skill. How many of that sort of goal do you reckon Poveda will get for us if he plays on the right wing for us all season ? 2, 3 ?

Like I said earlier, watch the championship goals highlights any weekend and see how many goals come from wide players getting in up the side of teams and turning the defence around. Then compare that with the 1 or 2 goals scored by wingers cutting in for a shot onto their “ good foot “.

I noticed in the film of him playing for Leeds against Morecambe he played mainly out wide on the left.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’re talking world class players in the main there that do it now and again in spite of all their skill. How many of that sort of goal do you reckon Poveda will get for us if he plays on the right wing for us all season ? 2, 3 ?

Like I said earlier, watch the championship goals highlights any weekend and see how many goals come from wide players getting in up the side of teams and turning the defence around. Then compare that with the 1 or 2 goals scored by wingers cutting in for a shot onto their “ good foot “.

I noticed in the film of him playing for Leeds against Morecambe he played mainly out wide on the left.

Not sure Joe Lolly and Adam Reach are world class! Good shots on them though ☺️

It is very common for teams to try that to be fair, Brentford were always at it, with a lot of success 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

59 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Joking right? That is not an expensive price for a footy ticket....

£38 at Ewood in the JW Upper. The most popular stand for walk on purchasers.

That is certainly expensive for a mid table second division club. 

And generally you aren’t going to get good numbers travelling away when it’s £30+ just for the match tickets every other week, then add your transport, food and drink.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let’s see how many we get this season. I’ll be counting.

It's not about just scoring goals. Harvey Elliott played the RW role off his left-foot, which weirdly you just ignored... He wasn't a goal machine but it helped our link up play very well. He got Armstrong at least another 10 last year.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's not about just scoring goals. Harvey Elliott played the RW role off his left-foot, which weirdly you just ignored... He wasn't a goal machine but it helped our link up play very well. He got Armstrong at least another 10 last year.

Harvey Elliot isn’t coming back. Let’s see what happens this season.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Plenty more and that's a fact.

Haven't they run deals in the past though and there wasn't a huge increase? 

£30 is steep alright to be fair. I think £20 is a fair price point for games, but would the club get enough extra fans at that price to make up the difference? £30 x 5000 = £150,000 , at £20 pounds then you would need 2500 extra supporters to make up the difference, £20 x 7500 = £150,000. I suppose it doesn't seem a huge amount of people, but what do you think? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How many more would go it if was £20 a ticket? I bet not a huge difference. What do you think? 

£20 would make a massive difference, especially for anyone who goes to numerous away games.

Twenty is plenty, and is a campaign that should also be in the football league. 

£30 or indeed the £32 charged for Rovers v West Brom is extortionate.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

From his interview yesterday, Mowbray seemingly has Poveda pencilled in as a false 9. That definitely wont work.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

£20 would make a massive difference, especially for anyone who goes to numerous away games.

Twenty is plenty, and is a campaign that should also be in the football league. 

£30 or indeed the £32 charged for Rovers v West Brom is extortionate.

From his interview yesterday, Mowbray seemingly has Poveda pencilled in as a false 9. That definitely wont work.

See my post above. I think £20 is a fair price point 

Well, you don't know that it definitely wont work 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How many more would go it if was £20 a ticket? I bet not a huge difference. What do you think? 

It would make some difference, more so if the entertainment was improved.

As an example, I have family members - 3 adults - who go occasionally. There's no way they'd pay £30 for anything other than say a Boxing Day game.

11 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

It would make some difference, more so if the entertainment was improved.

As an example, I have family members - 3 adults - who go occasionally. There's no way they'd pay £30 for anything other than say a Boxing Day game.

You're hitting on something, I think its the level the club is at and the entertainment levels that's the issue,not the cost, even allowing for the fact £30 is too much. There are regular deals and they don't seem to impact much on attendance 

I wouldn't say that Rovers offer regular deals, but with home attendances, home supporters will predominantly be season ticket holders and thus the lack of those sold are the underlying issue there even when a deal is offered. But again, the cost is a huge (not the only of course) reason why attendances are so low. 

• Moderation Lead

It’s not right of course, but the likes of Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday when they are charging £40 and up, they’ve got much bigger fan based (especially Leeds), so they can justify it to themselves in a way. 
With us though, it’s just insanity.

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldn't say that Rovers offer regular deals, but with home attendances, home supporters will predominantly be season ticket holders and thus the lack of those sold are the underlying issue there even when a deal is offered. But again, the cost is a huge (not the only of course) reason why attendances are so low. 

The season ticket is reasonable though? Plus if a low number of those are sold it surely gives scope for more fans to go on the day or get one of the deals they offer, where it's like a package of 6 games for a lower amount. I have seen them do that a good few times. 

I just question if the fanbase is even there, whatever the cost. Nothing seems to boost attendances, apart from that game against Oxford. So I think it comes back to entertainment and "success" 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel