BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough away 28th August

But what I would say, though it is ridiculously expensive to buy a match ticket for a Cat A/A+, we’ve never sold many match day tickets, the crowd has always been vast majority made up of ST holders.

The biggest issue and the reason crowds have dropped, again, is because we’ve lost another 2,000 ST holders this summer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Haven't they run deals in the past though and there wasn't a huge increase? 

£30 is steep alright to be fair. I think £20 is a fair price point for games, but would the club get enough extra fans at that price to make up the difference? £30 x 5000 = £150,000 , at £20 pounds then you would need 2500 extra supporters to make up the difference, £20 x 7500 = £150,000. I suppose it doesn't seem a huge amount of people, but what do you think? 

I thought you were on about the Boro away price.

For me i think it's how it's pitched for home games it worked when Allardyce was here but that was Prem football. Right now although 20 quid would be cheap these days the supply still far outweighs the demand at Ewood.

It's all about how it's percieved though, perception is a massive part of marketing but often gets overlooked.  £20 to come a support a bright new young side stacked with academy graduates. The club in a new era taking a bold new direction with a real plan to re-ignite the club and push it forwards.

or 

£25-£38 pounds to watch the same manager trying the same things with a bunch or raw kids and loans.

Selling anything is a tough gig in Blackburn so it has to go hand in hand with belief and ambition more than anything. Me personally i'd just price it at 25-30 max in all but the premium central area in the JW upper. Leave it all alone then everyone knows where they stand and don't feel angry and ripped off when they hike it up just to fleece big away followings.

That then leaves scope to do the odd cheap ticket offer and maybe one or two top end Cat A fixtures if needed.  West Brom brought around 2.5k and the home sections were agaian under 10k with maybe a good few hundred of those complimentary and schools tickets and the like. I'm not having it for one minute there wouldn't have been another 1 or 2 thousand on had the Swansea prices been left alone.

Again what they are doing is counter productive and just designed to squeeze those who can be bothered or can afford it.

So it's perceived badly.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But what I would say, though it is ridiculously expensive to buy a match ticket for a Cat A/A+, we’ve never sold many match day tickets, the crowd has always been vast majority made up of ST holders.

The biggest issue and the reason crowds have dropped, again, is because we’ve lost another 2,000 ST holders this summer.

The reason that most have left, is because of the shit served up, on the pitch. No matter who is to blame for it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

And season tickets still represent a good saving yet we lose this many again.

Kind of says everything yet it'll be glossed over in the upper corridors and ignored by Pune.

We can afford the losses say the ownership, we need money scream the CEO and manager.

We'll never prosper realize those who know.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I thought you were on about the Boro away price.

For me i think it's how it's pitched for home games it worked when Allardyce was here but that was Prem football. Right now although 20 quid would be cheap these days the supply still far outweighs the demand at Ewood.

It's all about how it's percieved though, perception is a massive part of marketing but often gets overlooked.  £20 to come a support a bright new young side stacked with academy graduates. The club in a new era taking a bold new direction with a real plan to re-ignite the club and push it forwards.

or 

£25-£38 pounds to watch the same manager trying the same things with a bunch or raw kids and loans.

Selling anything is a tough gig in Blackburn so it has to go hand in hand with belief and ambition more than anything. Me personally i'd just price it at 25-30 max in all but the premium central area in the JW upper. Leave it all alone then everyone knows where they stand and don't feel angry and ripped off when they hike it up just to fleece big away followings.

That then leaves scope to do the odd cheap ticket offer and maybe one or two top end Cat A fixtures if needed.  West Brom brought around 2.5k and the home sections were agaian under 10k with maybe a good few hundred of those complimentary and schools tickets and the like. I'm not having it for one minute there wouldn't have been another 1 or 2 thousand on had the Swansea prices been left alone.

Again what they are doing is counter productive and just designed to squeeze those who can be bothered or can afford it.

So it's perceived badly.

Hmmm ..price isnt everything but of course a reduction would bring in a 'few'.

If it was all down to price then in the early eighties we should have seen greater gates than an average of between 6-9 thousand. Add in there were no such thing as illegal streams etc etc  for a cheap afternoon on the footie we didnt do very well.

Unfortunately we had a whole generation brought up on the PL years and bought into that but now dont buy into the scratting around the Championship like we are now. Football cycles im afraid ..

Sorry this was for Wheelton Blue not you  Tomphil .

Edited by HowieFive0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

If it was all down to price then in the early eighties we should have seen greater gates than an average of between 6-9 thousand.

It's not the price as in I can't find 32, it's more that I think it's too high and won't pay it.  People in Blackburn don't part with coin so easily. Maggot hasn't hasn't clue.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's not the price as in I can't find 32, it's more that I think it's too high and won't pay it.  People in Blackburn don't part with coin so easily. Maggot hasn't hasn't clue.

As i said Sparks ..a reduction will bring in a few but lets not think that fans will come back in thousands with a price reduction ..as you say people from Blackburn dont part with coin easily ..even at reduced prices they will also want something worthwhile for parting with it...SUCCESS. ..again football cycles.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

If it was all down to price then in the early eighties we should have seen greater gates than an average of between 6-9 thousand. Add in there were no such thing as illegal streams etc etc  for a cheap afternoon on the footie we didnt do very well.

Unfortunately we had a whole generation brought up on the PL years and bought into that but now dont buy into the scratting around the Championship like we are now. Football cycles im afraid ..

Sorry this was for Wheelton Blue not you  Tomphil .

The comparisons with the early 80's are the good old strawman i'm afraid.

The times are very different as is the economy in this country despite the hysterics that brings in the media. Top flight games were played in front of 10/11k sometimes back then and many bigger town and city clubs in the championship struggled for fans.

You are right on the PL stuff in some cases but yet again that applies to most clubs of a similar ilk to us. What we are on about here is hardcore fans who've stuck around since the Prem days getting priced out or just fed up.

It's a concern it needs addressing but constantly putting prices up won't do it, neither will going nowhere on the pitch either obviously.

Iv'e said it a thousand times after doing some research Waggots mantra is squeeze what you have till it pops. Well it's popping now.

His speciallity and skill set is downgrading, he's right on track with that. Asking fans to pay 7 quid more for the same seat in the space of a couple of week is quite frankly bollocks.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The comparisons with the early 80's are the good old strawman i'm afraid.

The times are very different as is the economy in this country despite the hysterics that brings in the media. Top flight games were played in front of 10/11k sometimes back then and many bigger town and city clubs in the championship struggled for fans.

You are right on the PL stuff in some cases but yet again that applies to most clubs of a similar ilk to us. What we are on about here is hardcore fans who've stuck around since the Prem days getting priced out or just fed up.

It's a concern it needs addressing but constantly putting prices up won't do it, neither will going nowhere on the pitch either obviously.

Iv'e said it a thousand times after doing some research Waggots mantra is squeeze what you have till it pops. Well it's popping now.

His speciallity and skill set is downgrading, he's right on track with that. Asking fans to pay 7 quid more for the same seat in the space of a couple of week is quite frankly bollocks.

I think you will find that average First Division attendances were greater than 10/11 thousand Tomphil.

As for different economies yes but i would say it was far cheaper an economic comparision to watch football in the eighties and also lot less Saturday afternoon distractions ..i mean ..the bloody pubs shut at 3pm..everyone home for World Of Sport or watch Rovers ? 😆

..yet we only had 7000 on.

Unfortunately its success over price for getting substantial rises in attendances IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You're hitting on something, I think its the level the club is at and the entertainment levels that's the issue,not the cost, even allowing for the fact £30 is too much. There are regular deals and they don't seem to impact much on attendance 

I think it's a mixture of both. However, from my experience of talking to fans that I know, it's the product on the pitch that is the problem. I've heard a few say "I'm not paying to watch that crap" and "I wouldn't go even if they paid me to". I think that partly explains why any ticket deals haven't had much success.

The diehards will be there no matter what, but there are others who are disillusioned with the football that has generally been served up under this regime and who don't see much to be excited or hopeful about. For example, even a cup game against United didn't sell out and I think that was due to how hopeless we were that season under Coyle.

The regular dreary sound bites from the manager about how "we can't compete with..." and "it's going to be difficult" don't help either as that doesn't inspire anybody. Over the years we've had the Waggott tax, the insulting "We're committed, are you?" marketing and now the most ridiculous of walk on prices. It used to cost £28 in the Riverside to watch us against United in the Premier League. Now Waggott wants £36 for us against, what, Preston, Blackpool? Get real. He's completely out of touch.

As it stands, I think this young side we have now is one that fans can get behind. There are a few exciting players there on paper. I'm looking forward to seeing the link up between Clarkson, Rothwell and Poveda, for one. Reduce the walk on prices to something reasonable and there will be an increase especially if we string a few wins together.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Saw a rumour that Ashley Phillips was travelling with the squad - doubt he’d be in the squad but a big sign of intent for the 16 year old if true 

He wasn't with the under 23's tonight.

45 minutes ago, Tom said:

Saw a rumour that Ashley Phillips was travelling with the squad - doubt he’d be in the squad but a big sign of intent for the 16 year old if true 

Probably means that Ayala pulled his groin getting out of bed and Magloire is off somewhere on loan. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

I think you will find that average First Division attendances were greater than 10/11 thousand Tomphil.

As for different economies yes but i would say it was far cheaper an economic comparision to watch football in the eighties and also lot less Saturday afternoon distractions ..i mean ..the bloody pubs shut at 3pm..everyone home for World Of Sport or watch Rovers ? 😆

..yet we only had 7000 on.

Unfortunately its success over price for getting substantial rises in attendances IMO.

I think you'll find there was no mention of average atts being 10/11 thousand, bit naughty there Howie. You'll also find there were plenty small gates in top flight at times back then.

Basic principles still apply though now as then - decent product, decent feeling around the place, right price and you'll get more in.

Rovers are lacking on all fronts at the min although there is green shoots with this team in terms of effort. Sadly the last few seasons have erased the feelgood factor that was never tapped into post promotion. 

If the prices between one home game and the next is keeping just 500 away it's wrong. How could it possibly be right, oh wait yes i forgot it's covered by getting an extra few quid out of a decent away contingent.

Bonkers.

12 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Scenario 1:

Joe the occasional fan has a free Saturday afternoon, so he decides to pop down to Ewood. He pays £32 for a ticket in the Blackburn End.

The Rovers play poorly, getting beat 2-1 by WBA. Joe is pissed off that the Rovers lost, even more so as it cost him £32 for the priviledge. He goes to the pub after the game, where he meets Bob. Joe says to Bob, 'I've just spent £32 watching a right bag of crap. I'm not going there again any time soon. It's a right rip off.'.

Scenario 2:

Joe the occasional fan has a free Saturday afternoon, so he decides to pop down to Ewood. He pays £20 for a ticket in the Blackburn End.

The Rovers play poorly, getting beat 2-1 by WBA. Joe is a bit pissed off that the Rovers lost, but not bothered as it only cost him £20. He goes to the pub after the game, where he meets Bob. Joe says to Bob, 'I've just been down to the Rovers watching them get beat by bloody West Brom. But you know what, it was alright! I had a laugh and a few beers, and it was only £20 for the ticket. I think I'll go again. You should come with'.

Pin that 

@HowieFive0 has it spot on above, success on the pitch brings the fans out, not deals on tickets, its been that way since I started going many moons ago and it will always remain that way. 

As for todays game, I've been delighted with the start we've made to this season, much better than anyone anticipated. Boro have spent a few quid this summer, close to £10m I read somewhere, which is a significant outlay for a club in this division without Premiership money.

1-1 draw 

The fact crowds hardly moved (apart from Oxford) when we spent months at the top of League 1 says not.

Rovers fans won’t be paying £40 in big numbers even if we are doing well this season. And as STs make up the vast majority of our support and will be off sale in a week, the fact we’ve scrapped 6,000 sales says whatever happens crowds will be low this term. 

But where you are correct is that offers on tickets don’t really have much of an impact if the team is plodding about. Though Wigan before Christmas the other year when Dack got injured saw a hefty bump in the crowd when they were reduced.

Back in the day, a match ticket/buy on the gate was reasonably priced, so if we were on a good run dad, lad, a load of pals would be down to Ewood on a Saturday bumping the gate. At £38-42 in the JW, that ain’t happening.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

There are people on this board been around long enough to know how it works in these parts. We know success on the pitch draws out the lapsed fans and part timers but we aren't on about that, quite clearly to those who aren't trying to paint their corner.

We are on about holding on to what we've got and have had i.e the hardcore. It's 2021 not 1981 and we've had at least a 10k hardcore for the past decade plus a few k that come and go. Forget the Oxford match and think first game of the season at home, think 2 wins and a draw in first 3 games. Think fiesty young team with loads of home grown talent, think at home again to a team fancied to walk the division.

Think 32-38 pounds, think Tony Mowbray and his white flag, now see under 10k home fans.

There are your problems, even some hardcore fans will not pay that for this and if you can't see that you need to soak your nut in a bucket of ice for a bit.

Anyway off to the smog, COYB !

• Like 7