BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Moderation Lead

This is our best current XI for me (owing to injuries), I donโ€™t think Southgate will pick it for a moment likeโ€ฆ

Ramsdale

Trippier ย  ย  Stones ย  ย  ย White ย  ย  Shaw

ย 

Rice ย  ย  ย  ย  Bellingham ย  ย  ย  ย  Foden

ย 

Saka ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Kane ย  ย  ย Sterling

6 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

@J*Bย Moving here to talk England players.

Your England 11 in the Prem thread looked like more of a wish list than a potential line up.

Ramsdale is flying for the current league leaders, but I seriously doubt that Southgate will drop Pickford. Southgate likes who he knows, Pickford has never let him down.ย 

Tomori and White will be lucky to make the squad. I think that TAA won't make it either. His defensive lapses have been far too numerous this season. Walker will be fit, it is looking likelier that James will be too, and Kalvin Phillips. However, none of them will have played any football so my money is on Trippier starting game 1 at right back. He is in fine form, and another who Southgate likes.

Shaw will play at left back/wing back, who will back him up now that Chilwell is out? Southgate may opt to take only 1 left footer with Trippier providing cover.

This was Southgate's last squad. 28 players. 26 are allowed in Qatar.

Goalkeepers:ย Dean Henderson, Nick Pope, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders:ย Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Marc Guehi, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders:ย Jude Bellingham, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards:ย Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Raheem Sterling, Ivan Toney

Other players not listed who have featured for Southgate are Gallagher (Chelsea). Rashford. Sancho. Calvert-Lewin. Of those 4 I'd say only Calvert-Lewin has a chance.ย 

I said thast the team that drew with Germany would be Southgate' 11 for Iran with Pickford in for Pope.ย 

With wing backs I'll go;

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Pickford

Trippier Stones Dier Maguire Shaw

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Riceย  ย Bellingham

ย  Sterlingย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Kaneย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Foden

4 at the back;

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Pickford

ย  ย  ย  ย Trippierย  Stones Maguire Shaw

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Riceย  ย Bellingham

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Mount

Sterlingย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Kaneย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Foden

ย 

A lot depends on the formation for me Speedie.

If weโ€™re doing the 5ATB thing that Southgate has done for so long, I think we can afford TAAโ€™s defensive ย vulnerabilities if Walker is fit to cover.ย 

For me Shaw isnโ€™t great, Iโ€™d prefer Chilwell but injury dictates heโ€™ll be starting. Again if itโ€™s LWBโ€ฆ maybe Saka.ย 

If weโ€™re playing 4ATB then Iโ€™d have Trippier ahead of Walker and TAA.ย 

Iโ€™ve seen enough of Maguire and Dier to make my decision, although I appreciate Southgate will probably pick both. Same with Pickfordโ€ฆ I just canโ€™t select a keeper thatโ€™s letting in goals every week.ย 

I think my squad would be:

GK: Pope, Ramsdale, Pickford

DEF: TAA, Walker, Trippier, Shaw, James, Tomori, Stones, Smalling

MID: Bellingham, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Maddison

ATK: Sterling, Kane, Foden, Grealish, Saka, Toneyย 

โ€ฆ fill in the blanks with almost whoever you like.ย 

ย 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My England squad would beย 

Goalkeepers: - Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope.ย 

Defenders: - Tripper, Walker, James, Shaw, White, Stones, Dier, Coady, Tomori

Midfielders: - Rice, Bellingham, Phillips, Henderson, Ward-Prowse

Attacking midfielders: - Sterling, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Saka, Rashford

Strikers: - Kane, Abraham,ย Calvert-Lewin

James won't make it

So many of that squad are either horribly out of form or injured. Walker, Phillips and James all injured, Sterling has been crap all season, Mount crap and overrated, Grealish has done nothing since joining City, Dier crap, Calvert Lewin has done nothing for ages and has only just come back from injury, Ward Prowse is out of form, Henderson is out of form and always injured and we have no centre backs with either quality or any real form to speak of. We go into the World Cup in a very poor state really.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

So many of that squad are either horribly out of form or injured. Walker, Phillips and James all injured, Sterling has been crap all season, Mount crap and overrated, Grealish has done nothing since joining City, Dier crap, Calvert Lewin has done nothing for ages and has only just come back from injury, Ward Prowse is out of form, Henderson is out of form and always injured and we have no centre backs with either quality or any real form to speak of. We go into the World Cup in a very poor state really.

Not completely true. Kane saka are in great form. Sterling is chelsea's top scorer. Pickford and ramsdale are in good form. Tomori should be in. Dier has been good this season until recently.ย  Stones is back to fitness.ย  I think u have to take maddison.ย  Club form goes out the window when u play for England.ย  Sterling wasn'tย  great last season but was our best player at the euros.ย  I think when these players come into a major tournament.ย  Club form doesn't matter

I understand not starting TAA but to not have him in the squad would be absolutely criminal.ย 

Southgate has his favourites and I worry that a few too many of them are either not fully fit or out of form but will be interesting to see his squad and first starting line up.ย 

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Not completely true. Kane saka are in great form. Sterling is chelsea's top scorer. Pickford and ramsdale are in good form. Tomori should be in. Dier has been good this season until recently.ย  Stones is back to fitness.ย  I think u have to take maddison.ย  Club form goes out the window when u play for England.ย  Sterling wasn'tย  great last season but was our best player at the euros.ย  I think when these players come into a major tournament.ย  Club form doesn't matter

Some of them go beyond form. Players like Maguire, Mount and Grealish are key players for Southgate but they have left a lot to be desired for years. Same with Sterling really. Any team of any quality will rub its hands together against our fragile defence, if it is Stones who has barely played for a while (and when he does its at right back) next to Maguire and Dier who are simply not good enough at the top level then its hard to be optimistic.

The attack should be Saka, Foden and Kane but I doubt it will be.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

ย 

Partially agree with this, but some of those players were only going to be bit part players. I'm not overly bothered if Phillips isn't fit if Bellingham is playing instead, or thatย Calvert-Lewin hasn't been on form for a while.ย 

Others are more concerning, but (and I'm pinning a lot on this) are going to be playing in a totally different system for England than they do for their clubs. Maguire, despite everything, could easily be a completely different player when playing a deep 3 in the back compared to what he has been asked to do at United for the last couple of years. Grealish hasn't become a bad player either and it's not as though England will be asking him to play the same way as he does for City. Sterling is a bit more worrying as there's nothing about how Chelsea play which accounts for his poor form.ย 

Some are coming into good form too. I wouldn't start him, but it's good to see that Rashford is looking more like the player he can be.ย 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Some of them go beyond form. Players like Maguire, Mount and Grealish are key players for Southgate but they have left a lot to be desired for years. Same with Sterling really. Any team of any quality will rub its hands together against our fragile defence, if it is Stones who has barely played for a while (and when he does its at right back) next to Maguire and Dier who are simply not good enough at the top level then its hard to be optimistic.

The attack should be Saka, Foden and Kane but I doubt it will be.

I would go with rashford kane and saka. Kane drops deep which is better suited to two pacy wide players making runs rather than foden slowing play Down

40 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I would go with rashford kane and saka. Kane drops deep which is better suited to two pacy wide players making runs rather than foden slowing play Down

Foden is our best player beside Kane, one of very few to have been playing consistently at a top level, he has to play. Rashford even in a bit of moderate form blows hot and cold.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J*B said:

A lot depends on the formation for me Speedie.

If weโ€™re doing the 5ATB thing that Southgate has done for so long, I think we can afford TAAโ€™s defensive ย vulnerabilities if Walker is fit to cover.ย 

For me Shaw isnโ€™t great, Iโ€™d prefer Chilwell but injury dictates heโ€™ll be starting. Again if itโ€™s LWBโ€ฆ maybe Saka.ย 

If weโ€™re playing 4ATB then Iโ€™d have Trippier ahead of Walker and TAA.ย 

Iโ€™ve seen enough of Maguire and Dier to make my decision, although I appreciate Southgate will probably pick both. Same with Pickfordโ€ฆ I just canโ€™t select a keeper thatโ€™s letting in goals every week.ย 

I think my squad would be:

GK: Pope, Ramsdale, Pickford

DEF: TAA, Walker, Trippier, Shaw, James, Tomori, Stones, Smalling

MID: Bellingham, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Maddison

ATK: Sterling, Kane, Foden, Grealish, Saka, Toneyย 

โ€ฆ fill in the blanks with almost whoever you like.ย 

ย 

I don't disagree with your premise at all. I'm trying to think what Southgate would do, rather than what my ideal squad would be. I'd have Joe Gomez in. He won't make it but I really rate him.ย 

TAA as a wing back would be an interesting choice. I have no idea if he can play there. Klopp doesn't care as much about his mistakes as he makes up for it with his goal output. Southgate is much more safety first but that position may help him.

I read a BBC article summarising Micah Richards' view on Sterling. He, like me, thinks that he'll start along with Kane and Saka. I'd have Foden in for Saka, although Foden is one who hasn't yet hit the heights for England.

Maddison has been superb for Leicester, but I don't know if Southgate trusts him. Rashford has picked it up lately but isn't the player Man U and England fans hoped he'd be. Ignoring his legal troubles I wonder what Mason Greenwood would have looked like if he had played the last 12 months?

I also think that Southgate will switch systems between 4 and 5 at the back.

• Like 1

My team if we play 4-2-3-1 would be: -ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Pickford

Tripper White Stones Shaw

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Rice Bellingham

Fodenย  ย  ย Mountย  ย  ย  ย Sterling

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Kane

My team if we play 3-4-2-1 would be: -

ย  ย  ย  White Dier Stones

Tripper Rice Bellingham Shaw

ย  ย  ย  Fodenย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Sterling

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Kane

ย 

12 hours ago, roverandout said:

James won't make it

Reports last night says he would be fit by the Wales group game, so I would take him

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We did have players with quality like White, Stones, Dier andย Tomori at centre back role.ย 

I would say alot of teams will have players out of form but the only form that matters is when the world cup starts.ย ย 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I don't disagree with your premise at all. I'm trying to think what Southgate would do, rather than what my ideal squad would be. I'd have Joe Gomez in. He won't make it but I really rate him.ย 

TAA as a wing back would be an interesting choice. I have no idea if he can play there. Klopp doesn't care as much about his mistakes as he makes up for it with his goal output. Southgate is much more safety first but that position may help him.

I read a BBC article summarising Micah Richards' view on Sterling. He, like me, thinks that he'll start along with Kane and Saka. I'd have Foden in for Saka, although Foden is one who hasn't yet hit the heights for England.

Maddison has been superb for Leicester, but I don't know if Southgate trusts him. Rashford has picked it up lately but isn't the player Man U and England fans hoped he'd be. Ignoring his legal troubles I wonder what Mason Greenwood would have looked like if he had played the last 12 months?

I also think that Southgate will switch systems between 4 and 5 at the back.

Joe Gomez is horrendous, see his back pass v Leeds as recent evidence, his career has partially due to injury horribly stagnated.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team if we play 4-2-3-1 would be: -ย 

Tripper White Stones Shaw

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Rice Bellingham

Fodenย  ย  ย Mountย  ย  ย  ย Sterling

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Kane

My team if we play 3-4-2-1 would be: -

ย  ย  ย  White Dier Stones

Tripper Rice Bellingham Shaw

ย  ย  ย  Fodenย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Sterling

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย Kane

ย 

Reports last night says he would be fit by the Wales group game, so I would take him

We did have players with quality like White, Stones, Dier andย Tomori at centre back role.ย 

I would say alot of teams will have players out of form but the only form that matters is when the world cup starts.ย ย 

I don't have a clue how Mount gets in, he is so average. You have left out Saka who is a brilliant talent, moved Foden to the right and also left out Maddison who has been performing at a level miles higher than Mount over a sustained period of time.

That is even before you come onto the selection of Dier who is an accident waiting to happen and will be beside another in Maguire. Stones has barely played and when he does its at right back, White has started to excel only since being moved to right back, we look so weak there.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Joe Gomez is horrendous, see his back pass v Leeds as recent evidence, his career has partially due to injury horribly stagnated.

I don't have a clue how Mount gets in, he is so average. You have left out Saka who is a brilliant talent, moved Foden to the right and also left out Maddison who has been performing at a level miles higher than Mount over a sustained period of time.

That is even before you come onto the selection of Dier who is an accident waiting to happen and will be beside another in Maguire. Stones has barely played and when he does its at right back, White has started to excel only since being moved to right back, we look so weak there.

This is the beauty of football; we all have opinions. Gomez missed WC2018 and the Euros through injury. He will get back to his best. Klopp rates him, he signed a 5 year deal this summer.ย 

White and Tomori come up often on here. I haven't seen much of either. I did see Tomori for AC Milan last month against Cheslea. He was at fault for a goal and was sent off. White has been displaced in the middle at Arsenal by Saliba. Southgate has given both of them about 5 minutes of game time. If you ask me, they aren't getting in.ย ย 

Gone are the days of England having the ability to call on Terry, Ferdinand, King, Campbell, Woodgate.

Tripper, Walker, Stones, and Maguire will be playing in their 3rd tournament for Southgate. Shaw would have been but was injured in 2018 (and had been bullied mercilessly by Mourinho).ย  Southgate likes that familiarity.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Mount gets in cos he is quality player and you have never been a big fan of his, so I am not surprised by your comments cos we have this discussion at the last international tournament if my memory serves me right.ย 

Maddison has no doubt been in great form and some one who I rated highly but he misses out just for this tournamentย 

Stones has hardly played due to a hamstring injury but has featured in 10 games this season.ย 

On Dier, he is played mostly every game for Spurs and his performance on the main has been good in the games he has played. Already said I wouldn't take Maguire cos he hasn't feature enough for me and I would take Ben White, John Stones, Eric Dier andย Fikayo Tomori to the world cup.ย 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mount gets in cos he is quality player and you have never been a big fan of his, so I am not surprised by your comments cos we have this discussion at the last international tournament if my memory serves me right.ย 

Maddison has no doubt been in great form and some one who I rated highly but he misses out just for this tournamentย 

Stones has hardly played due to a hamstring injury but has featured in 10 games this season.ย 

On Dier, he is played mostly every game for Spurs and his performance on the main has been good in the games he has played. Already said I would take Maguire cos he has feature enough for me and someone like Ben White, John Stones, Eric Dier andย Fikayo Tomori should be ahead of himย 

Didnt you say that you wouldnt take Maguire the other day?ย 

Mount is ok and I would certainly take him but we have 2 top class attacking players in Saka and in particular Foden. Maddison is also as productive an English attacking midfielder as you will find, for him to miss out on your squad with Grealish and Calvert Lewin amongst those preferred in attacking areas, an average and out of form Ward Prowse and 4 right backs (if you include White) seems strange to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Didnt you say that you wouldnt take Maguire the other day?ย 

Correct. I mistype my comments.ย 

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mount is ok and I would certainly take him but we have 2 top class attacking players in Saka and in particular Foden. Maddison is also as productive an English attacking midfielder as you will find, for him to miss out on your squad with Grealish and Calvert Lewin amongst those preferred in attacking areas, an average and out of form Ward Prowse and 4 right backs (if you include White) seems strange to me.

Saka and Foden plays wide right whilst Mount plays a different position and is number 10.ย 

Calvert Lewin is a striker and Maddison is attacking midfielder so completely different positions. Grealish has skill and tricky I want coming off the bench.ย 

White is centre back by trade and only playing right back cos they have 2 other quality centre backs. Tripper and James can play both full back positionsย 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Correct. I mistype my comments.ย 

Saka and Foden plays wide right whilst Mount plays a different position and is number 10.ย 

Calvert Lewin is a striker and Maddison is attacking midfielder so completely different positions. Grealish has skill and tricky I want coming off the bench.ย 

White is centre back by trade and only playing right back cos they have 2 other quality centre backs. Tripper and James can play both full back positionsย 

Maddison has skills and trickery but some end product too, plenty of it.

Do we need 3 central strikers (one has barely played) as well as Rashford?ย 

• Like 1

Maddison has to go. If he doesn't then it's madness.ย  Mount is a very good player.ย  He's Been picked regularly by some top Chelsea managers.ย  He offers work rate as well which I'm not sure grealish foden or Maddison would offer. Rashford has to go as he's quick and elusive and can play in a number of positions.ย ย 

Maddison has skills and trickery but some end product too, plenty of it.

Do we need 3 central strikers (one has barely played) as well as Rashford?ย 

Like I said you in a previous I am massive fan of Maddison but sadly for me he misses out on this time.ย 

Yes, I think we do need 3 central strikers as anything can happen due a tournament like illness or injuries, so we need to cover all bases. Whether its Calvert Lewin or Wilson who goes it's down to personal choice.ย 

Rashford isn't a number 9 for me and his pace out wide in latter stages of games might be more effective.ย 

Given that Reece James is now official out of the world cup, I would selectย Tyrick Mitchell from Crystal Palace as the back left back option to Shaw.ย 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

but we have 2 top class attacking players in Saka and in particular Foden.

I also don't see Saka as top class yet, but he is quality player who will be top class eventually. I would start Foden right, Mount number 10 role and Sterling left behind Kane up front.ย 

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said you in a previous I am massive fan of Maddison but sadly for me he misses out on this time.ย 

Yes, I think we do need 3 central strikers as anything can happen due a tournament like illness or injuries, so we need to cover all bases. Whether its Calvert Lewin or Wilson who goes it's down to personal choice.ย 

Rashford isn't a number 9 for me and his pace out wide in latter stages of games might be more effective.ย 

Given that Reece James is now official out of the world cup, I would selectย Tyrick Mitchell from Crystal Palace as the back left back option to Shaw.ย 

I also don't see Saka as top class yet, but he is quality player who will be top class eventually. I would start Foden right, Mount number 10 role and Sterling left behind Kane up front.ย 

I do. Saka has everything.ย  His delivery is superb.ย  He can take his man on. He can get u a goalย 

• Like 2

Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Kane I think pick themselves at the moment.

God only knows for the other 6 given injuries, form and formations. (EDIT: probably should add Trippier in given form and injuries to every other capable RB)

I do find it strange how Coady appears to be the preference for most people ahead of Tarkowski. The latter has had a fantastic season so far, he's had most blocks and 3rd most clearances in the league. Certainly deserves to be there ahead of Maguire.ย ย 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 2

Speculation that Abraham and toney are out and Wilson is In. Can't understand that. Wilson strikes me as a run of the mill epl forward.ย  Nothing really special about him. Also no tomori. Which is scandalous as he's 10 times better than maguire.ย  Maddison still not confirmed if he's in or out yet. Though not taking him would be down to southgate's own personal agenda.ย  Part of me wants us to tank so we can get rid of boregate

• Like 1