BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

No surprised that Southgate has picked Maguire. Surprised he hasn't taken Abraham or Calvert Lewin. I would like another main striker. He picked a few players who can played a few different players like Rashford, Maddison, Gallagher. 

Let's go and win the world cup now. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

The expected stinkers.

Maguire/Dier/Coady are all worse than Tomori or Tarkowski. Even Scott Wharton can feel unlucky watching them 3 play for England.

Ward-Prowse robbed for Conor Gallagher

Would've had Abraham or Toney over Wilson too, expect he'll pull a muscle.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Too many players out of form and Southgate seems to have lost his way

England could under-perform expectations in a World Cup that few people want or are looking forward to

Yeah I tend to agree, England have really lost their way in the last year or so. Not looked convincing in any game.

Weve got some good players but you dont look at it and think we are competitve with the best. Kane and maybe Bellingham are the only two other top nations would really want.

But.... Could have said that in 2018 or 2021, so we can't write us off at all.

I don’t watch serie a but by all accounts Tomori has been one of the better defenders there this season 

Compare with Dier and Maguire, who have either not been good enough or dropped, and he must be absolutely seething this morning 

Southgate is sticking with the boys who got him to the final. Part of me thinks he will regret it

A backline of Dier and Maguire does not win World Cups 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Too many players out of form and Southgate seems to have lost his way

England could under-perform expectations in a World Cup that few people want or are looking forward to

The only form that matters is the form in the world cup not in friendlies or Nations league BS. 

Before Euro 96, Shearer had not scored in 12 games in the 21 months prior to the tournament but he ended up the tournament top scorer with 5 goals. 

writing England off already you would have thought you would have learnt about doing that after this morning England cricket win wouldn't you?

• Like 2

No surprises in that squad to be honest, pretty much as expected. I wouldnt have taken wilson becuase hes made of glass but its all academic as southgate will not sub Kane off even if he was in a wheelchair. Wouldn't have taken Phillips either.

His starting 11 is what there's more unanswered questions about. I think he'll be going 

Pickford

Tripper, walker, maguire, stones, Shaw

Rice, Bellingham 

Mount or Foden, Kane, Sterling

But within that there are players who aren't what they were at the last tournament. I just hope Southgate learns to balance loyalty and keeping the team fresh. 

Saka was the surprise package last tournament I.e. very little game time prior to the tournament but had a good impact. I wonder if Maddison will be that person this time round. 

If we play 3 at the back, I'd want TAA starting

• Like 2

Southgate goes with what he knows.

Tomori misses out, I've no problem with it. Like it or not, Maguire will play.  

Wilson is a surprise. Rashford somewhat, although he is playing much better this season than last. Maddison in is a reward for his form. 

Gallagher is an interesting one. He is mobile than Ward-Prowse but he's not playing at the same level as he was last year.

Probably 5 at the back. 

I'm eternally optimistic at a good run. Argentina are unbeaten in over 30 games. Brazil, France, Holland look good, but anything can happen. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah I tend to agree, England have really lost their way in the last year or so. Not looked convincing in any game.

Weve got some good players but you dont look at it and think we are competitve with the best. Kane and maybe Bellingham are the only two other top nations would really want.

But.... Could have said that in 2018 or 2021, so we can't write us off at all.

Disagree. I don't see Argentina or Brazil as having a better squad.  Brazils fullback options are pretty mediocre.  Their attackers I wouldn’t call any of them anything special.  Argentina have a lot of good players but other than messi no really outstanding ones. France are clear of everyone else. 

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

writing England off already you would have thought you would have learnt about doing that after this morning England cricket win wouldn't you?

England haven't won the T20 yet. The football and cricket and rugby teams' record in big tournaments is abysmal

For a supposed "major" sporting nation we are very poor and consistently punch below our weight. That's the reality

Edited by jim mk2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

England haven't won the T20 yet. The football and cricket and rugby teams' record in big tournaments is abysmal

For a supposed "major" sporting nation we are very poor and consistently punch below our weight. That's the reality

I don't any form of Rugby so couldn't comment. 

England under Southgate have performed well in the last 2 tournaments. 

England in T20 world cup final. 

Doing very well I would say. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't any form of Rugby so couldn't comment. 

England under Southgate have performed well in the last 2 tournaments. 

England in T20 world cup final. 

Doing very well I would say. 

There was a world before Gareth Southgate

England rugby.... one World Cup win. Look it up

England football over the past 60 years....one World Cup win. Look it up

England cricket....one World Cup win. Look it up

Abysmal I'd say

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No surprised that Southgate has picked Maguire. Surprised he hasn't taken Abraham or Calvert Lewin. I would like another main striker. He picked a few players who can played a few different players like Rashford, Maddison, Gallagher. 

Let's go and win the world cup now. 

What are your thoughts on James Maddison being picked. England's most in form attacking player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Hard to argue with that but Spain underachieved badly till 2008

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

delighted for him. like I said yesterday to Roversfan99 I am massive fan of Maddison 

Brilliantly sat on the fence there Chaddy. Saying you're a fan but that he just misses out. 

If he wasn't selected, you are right. Now he has been you've said you're a massive fan. No doubt had he not been selected you'd have been saying he's just not quite shown enough to justify selection. 

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Disagree. I don't see Argentina or Brazil as having a better squad.  Brazils fullback options are pretty mediocre.  Their attackers I wouldn’t call any of them anything special.  Argentina have a lot of good players but other than messi no really outstanding ones. France are clear of everyone else. 

Argentina have gone 34 games unbeaten,we havent won in 6 games.I know which squad i'd rather have

• Backroom

Maguire could have literally not played a single minute this season and Southgate would still have selected him, which is unacceptable in my view. Players should be selected on form and merit, not status and favouritism. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Wouldn't be against this line up for Iran. Let's be honest Maguire is starting so atleast Iran is a bit of game time in the legs for him. Hopefully we get to see Maddison and he's not just making up numbers.

Can't get a game for his club so use the first WC game as a training exercise to get him match sharp.

It is the sort of nonsense that Southgate, who still has no idea of his best team, will do and is a recipe for disaster.

Iran are no fall guys and the stadium will be like playing in Iran there are so many Iranians working and living in Qatar.

I’d of took Toney instead of rashford. Apart from that I think that’s the best we can hope for. That squad won’t get to the final especially with the Brazilians and Argentinians who are used to the heat. Still always enjoy a World Cup so fingers crossed and let’s see how we get on