BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

On Maguire unsure but need some good form now

Won't get any form though if he's not playing for his club.

Could well be the last game he starts for a while barring the odd token Europa match.

I don't like kicking the guy when he's down, but the Maguire question should be finished now.

No way you should take a player so low on form and confidence to the biggest Tournament on the planet. Insanity. 

Big test of Southgate's metal for me. Under duress at moment too. But he's always said he'll pick on form. If he doesn't here, he's going to look weak. 

I'm all for loyalty, but it's way past that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I’d sooner we continued with James at right back too.  For me, he’s the best all round full back we have. His all round game is better than Trent I’d say, though Trent is much better going forward, obviously.

Yes an out and out animal, built like a boxer,  loves a scrap too.

His delivery is just as good as TTA.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Silas said:

Won't get any form though if he's not playing for his club.

Could well be the last game he starts for a while barring the odd token Europa match.

I don't like kicking the guy when he's down, but the Maguire question should be finished now.

No way you should take a player so low on form and confidence to the biggest Tournament on the planet. Insanity. 

Big test of Southgate's metal for me. Under duress at moment too. But he's always said he'll pick on form. If he doesn't here, he's going to look weak. 

I'm all for loyalty, but it's way past that. 

I wouldn't play him myself. If I was picking back 3 I would pick Stones, Dier and Tomori. 

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes an out and out animal, built like a boxer,  loves a scrap too.

His delivery is just as good as TTA.

It’s improved, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves!

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm not, he's quality and his forward play is overlooked.   Different level to the scouser

I agree it’s overlooked, but once he starts banging in free kicks, long range goals and taking free kicks more often, I’ll probs agree….

33 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I agree it’s overlooked, but once he starts banging in free kicks, long range goals and taking free kicks more often, I’ll probs agree….

I'd leave that to the others, defending I'm more arsed about from my right back...his crossing whilst on the run is superior to Arnold.

Edited by Sparks Rover

Pope was terrible, thought James looked really good, better even once Daka and Mount came on.  Ehat a shame Pope spilled that shot would have been a great win itherwise and one for the confidence.  Hope Maguire never kicks a ball for England again.  He's lost something, like his heads gone.  Don't see us getting out the group.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Pope was terrible, thought James looked really good, better even once Daka and Mount came on.  Ehat a shame Pope spilled that shot would have been a great win itherwise and one for the confidence.  Hope Maguire never kicks a ball for England again.  He's lost something, like his heads gone.  Don't see us getting out the group.

Opinions Eh. You don't see us getting out of the group. I don't see us losing a group game.

• Like 2

Tomori aged 24 and with 3 senior appearances totalling 124 minutes played 88 of those minutes against Italy in June 2022 in a 0-0 game.

In the 3 games since he has no appearances and only in the squad once.

There is no chance he makes the starting eleven v Iran. That's not how the cautious Southgate operates.

He will do well to make the squad.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Usa wales and Iran should be a cake walk for England.  Not underestimating them but if we don't win all three games Southgate should be strung up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Usa wales and Iran should be a cake walk for England.  Not underestimating them but if we don't win all three games Southgate should be strung up

England should get out of the group comfortably but not sure on the last sentence. Wales aren't at the level of England unsurprisingly but have beaten/drawn with Austria, Ukraine, Belgium, Czech Republic in the last year alone. Not the same pedigree as England but hardly tantamount to playing some part-timers, especially with the additional flavour of it being a 'derby' of sorts. USA aren't pushovers either.

England should win all 3 but if England get 7 points I'd be amused at the knives being out for Southgate. Tournament football is about peaking at the right time - after all, England drew with Scotland last Euros and still made the final! 

As a Cardiff resident, I hope Wales do well. The squad seems to perform greater than the sum of its parts, with an unbelievable team spirit. The atmosphere at the home international games are generally superb too - thousands stood up and making an almighty din. One of the benefits of having a siege mentality and feeling like underdogs every game. Think Wales will give England a good game but lose narrowly, although if England score early it could be a heavy scoreline.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Fitness permitting, Maguire is as likely as anyone to start that opening game unfortunately.

Barring injury he's definitely starting, 

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Tomori aged 24 and with 3 senior appearances totalling 124 minutes played 88 of those minutes against Italy in June 2022 in a 0-0 game.

In the 3 games since he has no appearances and only in the squad once.

There is no chance he makes the starting eleven v Iran. That's not how the cautious Southgate operates.

He will do well to make the squad.

Agreed. What's bizarre is a Scudetto winner and CL player who is getting rave reviews in a position we are are weak in has hardly had a shake. Would AC Milan swap Tomori for Maguire? I doubt it.

• Like 2

3 mistakes cost 3 goals. Unfortunately for Maguire he made 2 (actually 3 counting the errant pass to Musiala before the pen), and looked lost he is unlikely at present to get many club games in between now and November to regain his confidence. Southgate should drop him, but I still think it will be a surprise if he does. Who would replace him? Tomori is getting a lot of press on here but as @AllRoverAsia pointed out he's hardly played. I don't watch Serie A so have no idea what he's like.

Pope proved outside of his spill why he won't play; his footwork isn't up to par. Too many times he had to rush into a decision.

I also think that TAA's goose is cooked. He's not getting a squad place. James has that spot on the right. Walker and Tripper will be the other two, with Trippier also being used on the left if need be. 

As I said yesterday I think last night's starting 11 with Pickford will play against Iran. 

Will Rashford sneak in? Calvert-Lewin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Guess who Scotland are playing tonight?

I also thought it had been long running when tonight's game is actually only the 5th time that these countries have played each other but 3 of those meetings have been in 2022 and close together.

I think that all the media attention around the actual playing of the WC playoff game is playing mind games with us.

Screenshot_20220927-234805.jpg

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, smiller14 said:

England should get out of the group comfortably but not sure on the last sentence. Wales aren't at the level of England unsurprisingly but have beaten/drawn with Austria, Ukraine, Belgium, Czech Republic in the last year alone. Not the same pedigree as England but hardly tantamount to playing some part-timers, especially with the additional flavour of it being a 'derby' of sorts. USA aren't pushovers either.

England should win all 3 but if England get 7 points I'd be amused at the knives being out for Southgate. Tournament football is about peaking at the right time - after all, England drew with Scotland last Euros and still made the final! 

As a Cardiff resident, I hope Wales do well. The squad seems to perform greater than the sum of its parts, with an unbelievable team spirit. The atmosphere at the home international games are generally superb too - thousands stood up and making an almighty din. One of the benefits of having a siege mentality and feeling like underdogs every game. Think Wales will give England a good game but lose narrowly, although if England score early it could be a heavy scoreline.

On paper England should win all 3, however......

I know nothing about Iran but they have they never made waves at a World Cup. Add in their managerial merry-go-round and I expect a win.

The USA have some good young players but don't have a defined starting 11 and are in desperate need of a striker. They were easily beaten by Japan the other day. Berhalter, their coach, has a bit of the Southgate's about him. He errs on the cautious side yet Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah Jr., and Reyna Jr. are all capable attacking players. They will be up for it, but England's quality should overcome, and it better had or I'm in for some real grief.

Wales are the dark horse. England have far more talent but they are well drilled and have Bale who by the time of the game may be playing to extend his career. He got Wales to a World Cup, and he'll do all he can to stay there. Any free kicks within 30 yards he'll fancy himself.

• Like 2