BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Few stinkers in there. Rashford and Maguire being one. The old adage folk used to trot out of if they’re good enough to play for United then they’re good enough for England just doesn’t apply (if it ever did). It’s the only reason I can see those two were selected. 

2 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Argentina have gone 34 games unbeaten,we havent won in 6 games.I know which squad i'd rather have

Not about quality of squad.  Its about Argentina having a settled team and a coach who can get them playing together. No way do they have better players.  Not in any position.  On top of that they haven't really played anyone on this run. Maybe bar Brazil and Italy 

4 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Wouldn't be against this line up for Iran. Let's be honest Maguire is starting so atleast Iran is a bit of game time in the legs for him. Hopefully we get to see Maddison and he's not just making up numbers.

Good point on Maguire and Iran. By all measures they aren't very good, the team hasn't been settled, and the country is currently in tumult. What's done is done, and I reckon it will be his last tournament for England.

I made 1 change from my prediction the other week Walker in for Dier;

Pickford

Trippier  Walker  Stones   Maguire   Shaw

Rice     Bellingham         

Sterling       Kane      Foden

Having watched ManUre v Villa tonight Maguire, if he plays, will be a threat in both penalty areas.

In a WC game Maguire would probably have got 2 yellows for his fouls.

Rashford however looked rather good tonight.

I can't fathom Connor G's inclusion.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

42 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Having watched ManUre v Villa tonight Maguire, if he plays, will be a threat in both penalty areas.

In a WC game Maguire would probably have got 2 yellows for his fouls.

Rashford however looked rather good tonight.

I can't fathom Connor G's inclusion.

Gallagher offers energy. Hes done pretty well for Chelsea this season.  If we need someone to protect a lead then his energy to cover the back 4 could be important 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, USABlue said:

As well as Southgate did last two major tournaments I expect from what I have seen recently is for him to lead us swiftly onto the plane home this time round.  An embarrassing exit even, and Southgate fired.

Can't see it.  We should win the group comfortably.  Then it's a possible second round tie against a mane-less Senegal.  Then France. As long as we give a good account of ourselves against the French it will be a decent tournament 

• Like 1

Not understanding the negativity.  Hes picked maddison which I never thought he'd do. He's got an array of outstanding attacking talent.  We've got the potential of rice and Bellingham in midfield which is as good as most midfields In this tournament.  Fullbacks are very good. Trippier and Shaw. One of the best forwards in the world.  Centreback isn't great but as long as we have Kyle Walker's recovery pace in there we should be ok

50 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Not understanding the negativity.  Hes picked maddison which I never thought he'd do. He's got an array of outstanding attacking talent.  We've got the potential of rice and Bellingham in midfield which is as good as most midfields In this tournament.  Fullbacks are very good. Trippier and Shaw. One of the best forwards in the world.  Centreback isn't great but as long as we have Kyle Walker's recovery pace in there we should be ok

Overhyping average players has been a problem for years with England.

Kane, Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Rashford, Maguire, Dier, Wilson, Sterling, Grealish. All average, we'll do nothing sadly.

Edited by Ghost7

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

It's the BRFCS way. On the whole this site is pessimistic toward the national football team. The oft cited reason I've been given over the years is that it's a Rovers forum first and foremost so why would people support the national team?

England have nothing to fear, yet fans are used to failure, so it's easier to naysay at every turn. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's the BRFCS way. On the whole this site is pessimistic toward the national football team. The oft cited reason I've been given over the years is that it's a Rovers forum first and foremost so why would people support the national team?

England have nothing to fear, yet fans are used to failure, so it's easier to naysay at every turn. 

Worth noting that lowered expectations at the most recent tournaments have yielded our most successful tournaments since 1966.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Kane, Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Rashford, Maguire, Dier, Wilson, Sterling, Grealish. All average, we'll do nothing sadly.

Average? Come on. They play for top clubs. Average players don't play for big clubs.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

On top of that. I would say maguire is slightly above average.  But still a good defender.  Shaw is having a great run and was named In the euros team of the tournament I think.  Rice is one of the best box to box midfielders In the world.  Harry Kane is simply world class.  Dier is having a good season at spurs. Wilson is leading the line for a top 4 side. Still would rather have taken Abraham.  Grealish has improved his performances for city lately and Is a mercurial talent.  Sterling has proven himself at international tournaments.  None of these are average.  People want to talk about overhyped.  Take a look at Brazil or Argentina 

It's how unbalanced it is that pees me off.

He's taken 4 RBs again, 4/5 players that can play CB, 5 attacking midfielders and yet we've only got two strikers. Relying on Kane to stay fit or we've got the option of Callum Wilson, and that's it. It's really negative imo.

He made the argument about form in order to overlook Abraham, yet picks Maguire, Alexander-Arnold, Phillips, Grealish etc. I think there's English players playing far better than them that can feel a little unfortunate.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

He's taken 4 RBs again, 4/5 players that can play CB, 5 attacking midfielders and yet we've only got two strikers. Relying on Kane to stay fit or we've got the option of Callum Wilson, and that's it. It's really negative imo.

He made the argument about form in order to overlook Abraham, yet picks Maguire, Alexander-Arnold, Phillips, Grealish etc. I think there's English players playing far better than them that can feel a little unfortunate.

I would think rashford playing Central was in his thinking. I think the only unbalance is having only 1 left back 

9 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

As a nation we either massively overhype players or massively underhype them.

An 18 year old has one good game and he's England's future or Hary Kane is average. 

The press love to ruin English players as well. Theve lapped it up that Grealish hasn't set the world a light at City. Harry Maguire was a laughing stock even when he wasn't playing that bad. As soon as Rice gets a big money move he'll be in their sights. There's an English premium for players that, through no fault of their own, puts a big press target on their back

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

As a nation we either massively overhype players or massively underhype them.

An 18 year old has one good game and he's England's future or Hary Kane is average. 

The press love to ruin English players as well. Theve lapped it up that Grealish hasn't set the world a light at City. Harry Maguire was a laughing stock even when he wasn't playing that bad. As soon as Rice gets a big money move he'll be in their sights. There's an English premium for players that, through no fault of their own, puts a big press target on their back

Maguires exploits in Greece started his downfall in my opinion with the press etc.

Grealish likes the camera and took the piss out of the quality Almeron 

Rice is a quiet respectful lad, like Mason Mount.

• Like 2

I think Grealish is a quality player but absolutely does not fit in at City. His game is holding the ball and aggressively pushing forward at every opportunity. With City constantly rotating the ball with fluid attacking players make him a really confusing signing. He's by no means the world's best in his position but the way he plays is so different, especially if there are no other players on the pitch, taking responsibility. I'm happy he is in the squad. 

Maddison is very similar in that he takes responsibility but in a different way. If we're chasing a game there's certainly creativity there. 

I'm fairly happy with the squad. Centre back is slightly weak and the back up to Kane is a big drop off. Southgate is the weakest link though. International success does tend to favour more defensively minded managers so I don't have a problem with that philosophy. The big issue is time and again he's shown himself to be slow or incapable of reacting during a game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Sorry, you lost me at "Kane is average"

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Brilliantly sat on the fence there Chaddy. Saying you're a fan but that he just misses out. 

If he wasn't selected, you are right. Now he has been you've said you're a massive fan. No doubt had he not been selected you'd have been saying he's just not quite shown enough to justify selection. 

Sat on fence? I said I wouldn't have taken Maddison to this world cup but took that extra striker instead. I didn't let me own personal opinion on Maddison a player I rated higher come into this. I have always been a massive fan of his since his Norwich days. His form justifies his selection deffo but I would have picked the squad I did

17 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Bit harsh on Toney imo but somebody always misses out. If he was at Arsenal he’d have made the squad for sure. 

Hasn't Toney not been selection cos of the match betting probe into him 

12 hours ago, USABlue said:

As well as Southgate did last two major tournaments I expect from what I have seen recently is for him to lead us swiftly onto the plane home this time round.  An embarrassing exit even, and Southgate fired.

What with negative feelings and attitude? I see this world cup as wide open, and I think someone like Denmark could win it if we don't. 

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

He has taken 3 right backs but Tripper can play left back. 

Hasn't Southgate picked players like Mount, Gallagher, Foden, Grealish cos they played a number of attacking midfielders roles with wide right or left or as number 10. 

Rashford can play a wide attacking player but looking at this squad he looks like he will play as main striker if Kane is taken off or not playing cos fitness or injury. 

• Like 1

Gareth Southgate has confirmed that Ivan Toney was not omitted from the squad because of the ongoing gambling investigation.

Im watching the City V Brentford game now, and that admission from Southgate makes his omission even more baffling for me.

• Like 2