BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Emma Radacanu

den

1 hour ago, den said:

In case you’re interested, Channel 4 are showing the USA women’s open final tonight at 8pm. It’s also on Amazon Prime tv.

C4 must have paid quite a lot for Amazon to allow them to show it live as Amazon has the rights to live US Open coverage.

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

as someone interested in betting,leylah fernandez is massive value at 6/4,if she can deal with  the monstrous belarussian sabalenka,ime` sure she can counter what emma can throw at her

She couldn't.

For whatever reason, Radacanu has been in the hottest of hot streaks these past three weeks. To not lose a single set in your entire first US Open is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

I take it from that statement you were born after 14th May 1995.

The problem is, the Rovers detractors will always say "we bought the title" to belittle our achievement. They still do it. It's ignorant and it's wrong and a "town" team will probably never win the title again, but it's something we have to live with. Some would say in the modern era Leicester's title win was a bigger thing. 

There's not many moments in sport these days when something makes you sit up and jump out of your seat. Last night was one. And it's not just the fact she's British - the girl has stardust. I just hope she stays grounded. The media over-the-top hype has started already 

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

I take it from that statement you were born after 14th May 1995.

Ha! I wish---in some ways!

We had the best team and the best squad in the League in our Championship season We has been building up to it in the previous 2 seasons. We were outright favourites.It was no surprise.

In no way do I wish to belittle that achievement but it doesn't compare with what ER has done.

Good one though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

And it's not just the fact she's British - the girl has stardust. 

She has Jim and not just because of her tennis.

Shes beautiful with a great smile. People love her already.  Her personality goes ahead of her. She’ll be wanted by every media outlet in the land.  At 18 years of age she has a great future as long as it’s managed properly. 

Romania claiming her as "our Emma" today😄.

Lots of factors here...... was it in fact a final between 2 Canadians? Does nationality matter and should we just be celebrating a sporting achievement?

Young women making a breakthrough as a teenager isn't unusual. Hingis and Sharapova were younger than Radacacu, and Hingis had retired from the game by 22 because of injury. Emma has to be careful 

I notice Nigel Farage has joined in the congratulations

He's obviously changed his mind about the choice of neighbours

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/19/nigel-farage-next-door-romanians-ukip

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Romania claiming her as "our Emma" today😄.

Lots of factors here...... was it in fact a final between 2 Canadians? Does nationality matter and should we just be celebrating a sporting achievement?

Young women making a breakthrough as a teenager isn't unusual. Hingis and Sharapova were younger than Radacacu, and Hingis had retired from the game by 22 because of injury. Emma has to be careful 

I notice Nigel Farage has joined in the congratulations

He's obviously changed his mind about the choice of neighbours

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/19/nigel-farage-next-door-romanians-ukip

Even before Hingis and Sharapova you had Tracey Austin who was 16 I think when she won her first major. However, they had all been heavily tipped as 'the next big thing'. This lass has pulled from absolutely nowhere a dominant performance from start to finish of the tournament (including qualifying) that is - as far as I can see - unprecedented.

The only other teenage tennis player that has made me sit up and go 'wow' was a 17 year old Boris Becker in 1985.

Incredible and I agree with the poster who said it was the most astonishing sporting achievement of his/her lifetime.

As for the girl's nationality - she's British, full stop. However you can't blame any of the countries she's connected to for basking in reflected glory.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Leicester winning the league has to be up there. Totally mad.

But agree in solo sports I can't think of anything to compare to Radacanu.

Had a chuckle at this!

On Chinese social media site Weibo, the hashtag “18-year-old ethnic Chinese young player wins US open championship” has now been viewed at least 200m times, with most commenters applauding her success"!!!!