BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

3 minutes ago, SanDimas1988 said:

What would you change to fix this downward trend?

I think it's too late now to be honest this season so we'll just meander on and hope to shift a few half STs.  Something very radical needs to happen in summer though, so many opportunites have been missed particularly after promotion.

Those of us who've seen it before have been warning of it ending up like this for years but the wooden bookends in suits always know better don't they !

• Like 7

Noticed the club made a point in highlighting the crowd figure on a Facebook post last night. I’ve certainly not noticed them do they before.

Looks to me as a circling of the wagons and ‘f-you’ to the ones that aren’t there ‘supporting the lads’, not a wake up call to the worst crowds in 30 plus years.

0A755CA0-F557-4081-9B12-C5D9F4C6A0F3.png

• Like 1

Slightly, but not by a lot. You may, say, sell an extra 1,000 or so on a Saturday (if it’s not a ridiculously priced ‘A’ or ‘A+’ game at £40-£50) if we are doing well.

However, a substantial crowd increase will only happen by selling more season tickets in the summer, ST holders make up the vast majority of our attendance base (something some people still don’t seem to grasp on this forum), we have never sold many on a match by match basis even when flying high in the PL. Always been the way here, so ergo selling less STs in a summer leads to the opposite, as we are seeing now…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrelandsRover said:

If we keep getting results, attendances will improve

Not at the walk on prices at present, totally out of context with the area and situation.

If walk on prices were realistic, and conversely season tickets were aligned price wise, then perhaps, but for this season it is a catastrophe.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Noticed the club made a point in highlighting the crowd figure on a Facebook post last night. I’ve certainly not noticed them do they before.

Looks to me as a circling of the wagons and ‘f-you’ to the ones that aren’t there ‘supporting the lads’, not a wake up call to the worst crowds in 30 plus years.

Yes, you're right. Trying to make supporters feel guilty for not going rather than facing up to "why?"

Wouldn't like the answers would they?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IrelandsRover said:

When a game comes along on a Saturday that a few more part timers or lapsed fans might fancy then they get charged £32 ?

The club has made the rod for its back this season i think so it will take spectacular form or a good uptake in half STs to make much difference.

Say we sold 10k tickets at £30 that would be £300,000.

If tickets were reduced to £20, we would need to sell and extra 5k to make the same money.

Does anyone think 5k fans would come over sake of it being £10 cheaper, I don’t think so.

I think lack of success, investment in team is the main issue. If we got promoted by some miracle, attendances would go up regardless if tickets were same price.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When a game comes along on a Saturday that a few more part timers or lapsed fans might fancy then they get charged £32 ?

The club has made the rod for its back this season i think so it will take spectacular form or a good uptake in half STs to make much difference.

£38-£45 in the Jack Walker for a ‘A’ or A+ game, the stand most popular for walk-ons.

Madness and will only stall any potential momentum re a bump in crowds if we went on a good run.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

A lot of season ticket holders around me didn't turn up last night, Tuesday night against Hull isn't really one to entice the fans!

It would be fairer to compare a Saturday 3pm attendance with the the last few years instead, probably still down on what it has been.

Putting the price up £100 in the Riverside was an idiotic move and has probably lost a couple of thousand purely based on cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverblue said:

A lot of season ticket holders around me didn't turn up last night, Tuesday night against Hull isn't really one to entice the fans!

It would be fairer to compare a Saturday 3pm attendance with the the last few years instead, probably still down on what it has been.

Putting the price up £100 in the Riverside was an idiotic move and has probably lost a couple of thousand purely based on cost.

Looking at the West Brom game. We were about 1500 down on a Saturday 2019/20 game, which is pretty much the number of STs lost this summer in comparison to that 2019/20 season .

Same for midweeks, 10,500 would have been a standard Tuesday night game attendance with a few hundred away fans, last night was just over 9,000.

As I keep saying, it’s all about flogging STs, if we lose sales, we lose crowds, it’s that simple.

• Like 2

Lots of things have caused me to lose significant interest in the club but Mowbray and the football being played are top of the list. Have we ever played well for a full 90 minutes in all the time he’s been here ? Even when we were running away with it in the promotion season most games contained 45 minutes of dross. People aren’t going to pay good money to watch rubbish like last nights first half when it’s on TV.

• Like 4

There's also the Covid factor. There's many people who have found other things to do with their time over the past 18 months, which will affect clubs such as Rovers with a smaller fanbase. Couple that with the disappointing results, lack of marquee signings and the general feeling of malaise around the club resulting from the training ground sale and the state of the ground, and it's no surprise attendances have slumped.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lots of things have caused me to lose significant interest in the club but Mowbray and the football being played are top of the list. Have we ever played well for a full 90 minutes in all the time he’s been here ? Even when we were running away with it in the promotion season most games contained 45 minutes of dross. People aren’t going to pay good money to watch rubbish like last nights first half when it’s on TV.

I have got to say that I very rarely find going on Ewood boring, even though last nights first half was a shambles we still got there in the end and got a 2-0 win. I don't think there will be many teams in the Championship that will dominate for 90mins, although I would love it if Rovers showed up for a bit longer as you say!

We have been really fortunate under Mowbray to have what feels like a great home record (at least when we were allowed on the ground) and I personally really enjoy the battles at Ewood where in most cases we come out on top.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roverblue said:

They still get counted in the crowd figures though.

As Mattyblue has said there are next to no walk ons for a game like last night and don't forget Satursday game and the like have been boosted by around a thousand kiddies tickets handed out.  

It's a dire situation that has been creeping up for years.

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There's also the Covid factor. There's many people who have found other things to do with their time over the past 18 months, which will affect clubs such as Rovers with a smaller fanbase. Couple that with the disappointing results, lack of marquee signings and the general feeling of malaise around the club resulting from the training ground sale and the state of the ground, and it's no surprise attendances have slumped.

Once people walk away you have a devil of a job to get them back. I walked away from my Rugby League club after being a regular home and away attender for 15 years. I didn’t go again for about 10 years and apart from reading the match reports in the local press I lost interest totally. Then they moved grounds to the football ground very near to where a lived at the time. One Sunday I had time on my hands and I went to a game. Right away I was hooked again, but if they hadn’t moved grounds chances are I would have never gone again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrelandsRover said:

That used to happen in the past - Rovers fans have always been fickle. The problem now is there's so many excuses not to go - including the latest, live feeds - that it's often easier to stay at home than attend. For my part, I've found other things to do with my time since the pandemic, and I'm sure there's many like me. 

If by some fluke we managed to sustain a place in the top 6 this season I think attendances will improve somewhat, but only to around the 12k mark 

• Like 4