BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

42 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely.

Couldn't agree more.

You can criticise Venky's for their decision making at various points but they have proved their financial commitment to the Club over a period of ten years or more and their ability to inject in large amounts of capital at will.

All the talk in the financial press at the time of the Asda takeover was that the Issa Brothers Group were in a precarious financial situation as a result of overextending themselves with the  takeover and were leveraged up to the hilt.

Better the Devil you know and all that......

Is this alleged "local interest" even supposed to be them anyway?

But Venkies are the ‘ Devil we know “ . At least with the Issa’s if I want to protest I can go around to their house and put a brick through their window. Metaphorically of course.

• Like 5

Cost, time and lack of excitement for me

cost- finances are tight and can’t justify the travel from highlands of Scotland , the hotel for a night and on top of that the ticket 

time- get two weekends off in every 5 from my work, and have an a new father to boot

excitement- I can’t go mowbray and what’s the point to go and watch a mid table team going through the motions. 

something would need to change to get me back to Ewood 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

They are selling all their garages for billions, I'd love them to buy the club.  I bet they employ hundreds of Rovers fans

How much would they be left with after all the borrowings secured against the garages are paid off though?

Genuine question as I don't know.

And what would happen to Rovers if Asda hits a bad patch?

I don't doubt they could afford us one way or another. But I'd be surprised if buying Rovers was seen as an attractive option for the Issa brothers. The Asda buy does signal a different sort of punt for them, but even with that, taking on Rovers doesn't really make sense against their business to date.

But at the minute they are the only semi-realistic option of a future Rovers takeover I can think of. I can't see anybody without ties to the club/area getting involved, particularly with our status in the current financial climate. Without meaning to do Rovers an injustice, there are probably more attractive clubs in more attractive areas within the pond we swim in. So I guess it would take a brave hand from somebody with said ties to (presumably) give Venkys back their investment, take on some form of debt and hope to make a fist of things with the modern Rovers.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Whilst your maths is clearly correct I am firmly of the other view.

Say we broke even at 10,000 fans selling tickets at £20 or £30. (Though we would clearly gain extra fans)

Mum or dad brings their young children. Of those extra fans, how many pies, cokes, hotdogs, burgers, scarfs, programmes*, autograph books would they sell... not to mention the alcohol for the parents.

It's the short sightedness of ticket sales alone which is what makes Waggott a fucking pleb.

Biggest mistake my dad ever made was allowing me and my sister to tag along with him and my uncle to a Rovers game when I was 7... dad wasn't even a fan, just wanted something to do that day and no other team was an option. I was hooked from that day and we've had a season ticket ever since spending £10 every match day. (30 years basically). Not to mention the calalenders, shirts, bedding, clocks, etc I've begged to own.

You think my dad would have spent an additional £60* taking his two children to a Rovers game with Waggott Tax?

Cheaper tickets = More (young) fans.

More young fans = more food, drink, merchandise sold.

Young fans get hooked, fall in love, and beg to come back... spend money.

Or we have Plan B. Charge £30.

I totally agree.

Reduce the prices to say £20 and, short term, we may not get many more through the gate than say charging £30. We may also not make as much money.

But....the potential for increased numbers at £20 is greater than it is for £30. ie the opportunity is greater.

Assuming the product is right, of course.

20 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

There are some very interesting developments on the Rovers ownership front.  There is local interest that the V’s have not shunned.

I don't know anything...but this is a rumour /expressed hope that comes up every now and then. No surprise either because it is about the only ingredient that could ever make the Venky's ownership work....

51 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I don't know anything...but this is a rumour /expressed hope that comes up every now and then. No surprise either because it is about the only ingredient that could ever make the Venky's ownership work....

As to the "better the devil you know" argument---- we do know the devils we've got?!

Personally I welcome any interest from anyone else in owning Rovers.

No actual evidence that anyone is interested of course but its good to be cheered up sometimes.

• Like 3

LV has it spot on, we always see the similar story redistributed across the forum and its either bunkum or based on pure speculative rumour spreading across social media supported by a 1+1 =2 theory😀.

If you do a little research on the Issa brothers it is very clear they are savvy operators, you only have to read a little on the ASDA deal and not just the purchase aspect. Alongside other acquisitions they make a handsome profit.

They have an interest in sport but more importantly the community and what it means. I really do think this is an intriguing factor SHOULD they have any interest in BRFC.

Until it happens then I sit on the side-lines hoping deep down it might be right or that there is something in it however as we have seen many many times hopes get raised then are flattened as quickly as they rose!  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 47er said:

As to the "better the devil you know" argument---- we do know the devils we've got?!

Personally I welcome any interest from anyone else in owning Rovers.

No actual evidence that anyone is interested of course but its good to be cheered up sometimes.

My only hope...

The rumour I have been hearing from time to time was that elite business men with Blackburn Rovers interests were making contact with the owners...to work alongside them.

On one hand, I was pleased that there was no public letter, fanfare etc because clearly,  any successful approach would have to be entirely confidential...On the other hand, no information could mean this has no substance and nothing is going on at all lol

The only possible way the current ownership could ever succeed is in partnership with properly skilled business managers with a Rovers concern , visible to all fans...

Somehow, I haven't given up hope yet.....(it's the hope that kills ya)

Failing that, I want them to sell and to do so quickly...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 5

It goes against how Vs have worked though they've never even taken on a proper sponsor. Cut all the boardroom staff to end up with a series of oily yes men and two of their own men who've no idea about Blackburn or football.

Never taken an iota of advice nor encouraged it from anybody with Rovers in the blood just use their own bum lickers.

Finally, money, they've never looked like they've needed anybody elses. Their get out of jail card is make cock ups but pay for it and seemingly keep doing that until it just drops right.

Chances are very high they've never heard of the brothers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

It goes against how Vs have worked though they've never even taken on a proper sponsor. Cut all the boardroom staff to end up with a series of oily yes men and two of their own men who've no idea about Blackburn or football.

Never taken an iota of advice nor encouraged it from anybody with Rovers in the blood just use their own bum lickers.

Finally, money, they've never looked like they've needed anybody elses. Their get out of jail card is make cock ups but pay for it and seemingly keep doing that until it just drops right.

Chances are very high they've never heard of the brothers.

Actually, I was not thinking of the brothers...because I have never had any sense of the Issas giving a damn about Rovers...

There are elite businesses operating across Europe with senior people, who love Rovers....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

They are billionaires so I'm sure they could finance it however they wanted.

Every argument you come up with to poo poo potential alternatives to Venkys already exist with Venkys. How could they fund it yet Venkys have put the club hundreds of millions in debt so what difference would it make.

Maybe new owners could clean Ewood and replace the pitch. That would be a nice start.

suggest you read the post by @Displaced Rover . They might well be billionaires but how do they buy their companies. Look at the debt Burnley and Manchester United were bought by they current owners

Rovers debt belongs Venkys and not the club tbh. 

6 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

They now have their own box at Ewood.

and? are they Rovers fans?

6 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Well our present owners certainly don't appear to be Rovers fans.  Over a decade of total mismanagement from them and no sign of them improving things at Ewood.

very true but I would hope any new Rovers owners in the future is a Rovers fan 

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I've never seen any indication that the Issas are Rovers or even football fans

Any links? 

aren't they Manchester United?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

My only hope...

The rumour I have been hearing from time to time was that elite business men with Blackburn Rovers interests were making contact with the owners...to work alongside them.

On one hand, I was pleased that there was no public letter, fanfare etc because clearly,  any successful approach would have to be entirely confidential...On the other hand, no information could mean this has no substance and nothing is going on at all lol

The only possible way the current ownership could ever succeed is in partnership with properly skilled business managers with a Rovers concern , visible to all fans...

Somehow, I haven't given up hope yet.....(it's the hope that kills ya)

That sounds a lot more plausible sort of scenario to me Len - Venkys' financial clout combined with a top class manager and coaching team and genuine direction and expertise behind the scenes.

Sounds like the dream combination to do well. The only way that could be bettered would be if the ridiculous FFP rules were ever to be scrapped altogether or at least modified substantially.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

and? are they Rovers fans?

Absolutely no idea.  They are business men, they come from and live in Blackburn and have their HQ in the town - that is a fairly decent starting position for me.  What do you think?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

They might well be billionaires but how do they buy their companies.

What do you care?🤷‍♂️ only one person on this board would disagree with having blackburn born billionaires in charge of the club..... ....until they buy it and then best thing since sliced bread.

• Like 3

On 15/09/2021 at 10:20, den said:

A lesson to be learnt here. The fans arguing that they would rather watch Rovers in the lower leagues that watch the “type” of football that saw us half way up the Premier League should maybe take a look at what that meant.

Its not that popular now. 

Hi, I'm that fan... and I'm still going to Ewood (I'm a glutton for punishment).

The Allardyce days were dark ones indeed. Awful, boring football and a knobhead manager. 

• Like 2