BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

On 21/02/2022 at 14:36, roversfan99 said:

Totally get the sentiment but your call for support will fall on deaf ears. Most people posting on a messageboard will by association be hardcore fans. I suspect the majority are already season ticket holders, or failing that will be unable to attend 5 games (perhaps location based) or are the in the very small minority who are boycotting so wont be turned by a 5 game bundle. Its the floating fan that is the target audience, they wont be posting on messageboards, they can give or take attending.

These bundles are not the way forward IMO, we have seen before even as recently as selling only 500k for the double header. Waggott said earlier this season in a fans forum that the EFL dont like bundles either plus he has the access to the numbers which prove that they dont work.

Floating fans dont want to commit to numerous games at once to get value, they dont want strings attached, thats why one off, no strings attached deals get better uptake.

Maybe I will be proved wrong this time but I remain skeptical.

I guess some floating fans will look on here but you do make alot of decent points there. 

I just hope some fans who aren't ST holders can make a short term commitment to 5 games over 7 weeks period. 

We will see how this work out for the club

Edited by chaddyrovers

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Fans Forum tonight, be interested to hear what corporate/marketing  nonsense is spouted to justify these terrible deals.

It will probably be months till the minutes are published. Most questions will have been forgotten about.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

It will probably be months till the minutes are published. Most questions will have been forgotten about.

I’ve been secretary of the Fans Forum for over 10 years. I think the longest time between a meeting and the minutes being published was about 2 weeks - usually it’s within a week. But let’s not let facts get in the way of another chance to whinge.

• Like 5

I’m glad some fans are prepared to keep chipping away at them but all the club are good for is waffle, excuses and inaction. It’s laughable some of the things that need pointing out to them particularly in terms of basic maintenance of the ground. Then take the pitch situation.

11th January 2021: JW asked what plans the club had to improve the state of the Ewood Park pitch. SW said that there had a number of issues causing the deterioration in the state of the pitch this season. SW stated that there was little the club could do during this time of the season and being mid-Winter but that plans were being looked at for the usual full renovation of the pitch during the coming Summer close season.

8th of March 2021: TS asked whether there was an update on plans to replace or refurbish the Ewood Park pitch. SW replied that keeping the pitch in a decent state had been a real challenge this season after only having a 4 week close season to do any work and then having to play games in a compressed season along with bad weather. The club had already met with a preferred supplier. It would be possible to do a surface renewal but the club would really like to take the site right down to replace everything and install a more eco-friendly stitched pitch.

18th of May: TS stated that at the last meeting the club were in the process of tendering for a complete reconstruction of the pitch at Ewood Park. SW added that a preferred supplier had been selected with a budget of close to £2m.

19th of July. Matters Arising from the Minutes of the Previous Meeting 18th May 2021: Ewood Park Pitch. JW asked for an update on the Summer work on the Ewood Park pitch. SW stated the club had hoped to have a complete pitch rebuild this Summer but the £2m cost had been prohibitive.

To the present day the pitch is still an issue and no doubt will be brought up again in light of an actual fixture cancellation and no doubt will be met with more waffle and excuses.

As for their “fan re-engagement plan” it’s a joke every time. They might as well just say we did nothing, we thought of nothing and tried nothing. Its the fault of xyz external factors. 

I’m not trawling right back through the archives but years ago I recall reading someone bringing up the quality of the food/service and the general poor choice of food and booze. At the time it was probably met with the same waffle of suppliers or swags trademark we’ll look in to it. Guess what years on it’s still crap, there’s still no decent booze selection and it’s hideously expensive to boot. Was anything ever done I think we all know the answer.

As much as anything the minutes of the meetings provide a timeline to just how useless the top brass at the club really are.  

Edited by matt83
  • Like 4

The fact the man who presides over the shambles that is the day to day running of rovers is on £300k boils my blood. Swag must go to sleep laughing and wake up laughing that he’s found some mugs prepared to pay him £300,000 a year. If the head of marketing, if there is one, is on more than minimum wage same goes for him.

I only say him because I noticed another bundle deal package for the last 5 games. Just what is it they are not getting about the reasons these promotions are a commercial flop. Even if the subtle reasons (and the reasons aren’t subtle) why they fail go over their heads they must be able to see the figures and conclude they fail. Nope let’s double down on another bundle. 

When a player is having an atrocious game out of frustration every now and again people say I’d be better than him. Clearly that’s just bollocks and most people aren’t/were never good enough to play unibond league but when it comes to swag I truly believe I’d do a better job. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

I’m glad some fans are prepared to keep chipping away at them but all the club are good for is waffle, excuses and inaction. It’s laughable some of the things that need pointing out to them particularly in terms of basic maintenance of the ground. Then take the pitch situation.

11th January 2021: JW asked what plans the club had to improve the state of the Ewood Park pitch. SW said that there had a number of issues causing the deterioration in the state of the pitch this season. SW stated that there was little the club could do during this time of the season and being mid-Winter but that plans were being looked at for the usual full renovation of the pitch during the coming Summer close season.

8th of March 2021: TS asked whether there was an update on plans to replace or refurbish the Ewood Park pitch. SW replied that keeping the pitch in a decent state had been a real challenge this season after only having a 4 week close season to do any work and then having to play games in a compressed season along with bad weather. The club had already met with a preferred supplier. It would be possible to do a surface renewal but the club would really like to take the site right down to replace everything and install a more eco-friendly stitched pitch.

18th of May: TS stated that at the last meeting the club were in the process of tendering for a complete reconstruction of the pitch at Ewood Park. SW added that a preferred supplier had been selected with a budget of close to £2m.

19th of July. Matters Arising from the Minutes of the Previous Meeting 18th May 2021: Ewood Park Pitch. JW asked for an update on the Summer work on the Ewood Park pitch. SW stated the club had hoped to have a complete pitch rebuild this Summer but the £2m cost had been prohibitive.

To the present day the pitch is still an issue and no doubt will be brought up again in light of an actual fixture cancellation and no doubt will be met with more waffle and excuses.

As for their “fan re-engagement plan” it’s a joke every time. They might as well just say we did nothing, we thought of nothing and tried nothing. Its the fault of xyz external factors. 

I’m not trawling right back through the archives but years ago I recall reading someone bringing up the quality of the food/service and the general poor choice of food and booze. At the time it was probably met with the same waffle of suppliers or swags trademark we’ll look in to it. Guess what years on it’s still crap, there’s still no decent booze selection and it’s hideously expensive to boot. Was anything ever done I think we all know the answer.

As much as anything the minutes of the meetings provide a timeline to just how useless the top brass at the club really are.  

Thanks for that. I'm glad someone has gone to the trouble of backing up with evidence just what a bull5hitter Waggott is. It is all lip service - tell the people what they want to hear but with no plan or intention of ever actually doing it. He's got through over 4 years of employment at the club without delivering any significant improvements or changes.

The pitch is one example which comes back to bite him on the arse quickly because you can't get away indefinitely with doing nothing. It will only get worse and eventually interfere with fixtures.  

Other areas are similarly neglected - club infrastructure, marketing, facilities, stadium, training ground - yet these are harder to see and don't stop games from taking place so easier to get away with.

There's always a raft of excuses - Covid, congested fixture list, cost, weather - but all those things occur at every club and yet most clubs get it sorted.

This summer's excuse will be the music festival which will mean that there is a narrow window in which to do any remedial work on the Ewood pitch before the new season - especially if we have a play-off match to host.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Thanks for that. I'm glad someone has gone to the trouble of backing up with evidence just what a bull5hitter Waggott is. It is all lip service - tell the people what they want to hear but with no plan or intention of ever actually doing it. He's got through over 4 years of employment at the club without delivering any significant improvements or changes.

The pitch is one example which comes back to bite him on the arse quickly because you can't get away indefinitely with doing nothing. It will only get worse and eventually interfere with fixtures.  

Other areas are similarly neglected - club infrastructure, marketing, facilities, stadium, training ground - yet these are harder to see and don't stop games from taking place so easier to get away with.

There's always a raft of excuses - Covid, congested fixture list, cost, weather - but all those things occur at every club and yet most clubs get it sorted.

This summer's excuse will be the music festival which will mean that there is a narrow window in which to do any remedial work on the Ewood pitch before the new season - especially if we have a play-off match to host.

Without wanting to open up the whole Millwall postponement debate(!) again, I reckon Waggott knows the specifics as to why the referee called the game off, but he isn't saying.

The ref would have said something like 'I'm calling the game off on the grounds of player safety, because of x,y and z'

Call me cynical, but I think the reason why we don't know exactly what 'x,y and z' are, is because Waggott doesn't want us to know.

Why? Because fingers will then point at him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, only2garners said:

I’ve been secretary of the Fans Forum for over 10 years. I think the longest time between a meeting and the minutes being published was about 2 weeks - usually it’s within a week. But let’s not let facts get in the way of another chance to whinge.

So when will the minutes of last nights meeting be available to the general public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

So when will the minutes of last nights meeting be available to the general public.

As I said in my message that you quoted it's usually within a week but it just depends on the availability of a few people. Firstly, when I can get to write them up - I'm planning to start now so should have them done by tomorrow. Then it depends on the availability of a few people at the club and on how many changes we agree in that process. It's usually up on the website inside a week but it can take a bit longer. In any event I doubt whether there will be any great revelations in last night's minutes.

4 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Without wanting to open up the whole Millwall postponement debate(!) again, I reckon Waggott knows the specifics as to why the referee called the game off, but he isn't saying.

The ref would have said something like 'I'm calling the game off on the grounds of player safety, because of x,y and z'

Call me cynical, but I think the reason why we don't know exactly what 'x,y and z' are, is because Waggott doesn't want us to know.

Why? Because fingers will then point at him.

Ref - Yeah clear the snow i'st only an inch and it hasn't been freezing so it should be fine.

1hr later 

Ref- Have you cleared it all yet ?

Er, not quite. Give us another 45 mins.

Ref - ffs! Didn't you make plans for this the weather forecast was there for all to see.

We're doing all we can !

Ref - Right i need to test it at 2.15 at the latest the i can get home fore my tea for once if it's off. 

2.15 - it's just about ready.

Ref - Look at the state of it underneath i was expecting better, it's off.

Oh, we're going to get some stick for this, it's all your fault you barsteward in black !!!

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Ref - Yeah clear the snow i'st only an inch and it hasn't been freezing so it should be fine.

1hr later 

Ref - ffs! Didn't you make plans for this the weather forecast was there for all to see.

We're doing all we can !

Ref - Right i need to test it at 2.15 at the latest the i can get home fore my tea for once if it's off. 

Oh, we're going to get some stick for this, it's all your fault you barsteward in black !!!

Laugh out loud 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

1hr later 

We're doing all we can !

I think it might have gone more like :

REF- It's 12:15 I am not too happy with the amount of water under the snow, do you think that it will be gone by 14:15.

SWAG - I'll look into it.

REF - It's 14:15 and the pitch is exactly the same, the game is off.

SWAG - But we did all we could. Would you like a pie for your journey home ?

• Like 3

A lot of good points on here but also a lot of nonsense....understandably though, I get that.

I know it's an old cliché but please, for the greater good, all just get behind the lads between now and the seasons end, irrespective.

It's very important and would countermand whatever else may still be in place...read into that whatever you will.

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

A lot of good points on here but also a lot of nonsense....understandably though, I get that.

I know it's an old cliché but please, for the greater good, all just get behind the lads between now and the seasons end, irrespective.

It's very important and would countermand whatever else may still be in place...read into that whatever you will.

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

I'm sure that wont stop. This messageboard is essentially a place for us all to air our grievances and debate things, but its the people in the stadium that matter. And the support is very much there in the ground.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2022 at 18:18, darrenrover said:

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

Are you the guy who drones on the microphone at Ewood now, get behind the lads......FFS!

Decent turn out today all things considered and the crowd did well second half.

Edited by tomphil