BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

We’ll struggle this year trying to get any kind of festive bumper crowd, with the two home games this season being a midweek against Barnsley and then a Sunday 2nd January fixture against Huddersfield.

Though saying that there is surely an opportunity to do a Sheff Utd-esque promotion for Hudds with it being a bank holiday the day after… I won’t hold my breath.

11 hours ago, darrenrover said:

A lot of good stuff on this thread and I’m personally betwixted and between: 

Facts are: Rovers have 7,800 season ticket holders for 21/22 season. Against Sheffield United at £14.60 a ticket for ‘walk ons’, we attracted 4,700 Blades and 4,791 additional Roverites, which in my opinion was a poor show.

Next up, PNE and based on the need to bring revenue in to the club, the ‘kicker’ has to be to derive the most from 6,000 Nobbers! and hope that Rovers ‘walk ons’ still amount to 5k.

COYB!!

Why was 4,791 a poor show please Darren? 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

We’ll struggle this year trying to get any kind of festive bumper crowd, with the two home games this season being a midweek against Barnsley and then a Sunday 2nd January fixture against Huddersfield.

Though saying that there is surely an opportunity to do a Sheff Utd-esque promotion for Hudds with it being a bank holiday the day after… I won’t hold my breath.

Rovers should be special offer for those games like those 2 games for 20/25 pounds for adults. 

If we're still in a similar position come Christmas, and these games were being marketed now at £20 for both I think you would get a huge uptake, Christmas is the best time to strike with a lot being home for the holidays or back from Uni or whatever. You could still charge away fans between £25/30 too.

Isn't the Wigan game 2 years ago still the most Rovers fans we have had inside Ewood at this level since relegation?

That was a Monday night, the night before Christmas Eve and priced at £15 a ticket if I remember correctly.

Fully expecting nothing, especially for the Hudds game as there is potential to get 2/3000 away fans in for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

And the reason Sheff Utd sold that amount was simply did to the price. They would normally have brought no more than 2-2500. I have spoken to a few Nobbers who won't be coming simply because of the price.

Whatever happened to the reciprocal agreements we had with the likes of Wigan and Bolton where cheap tickets were available for the home and away games? Lets not forget it's due to a lot of Waggotts inadequacies that he has to rinse the supporters.

And rake in his own 300k.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

You can only imagine it’s a negotiation tactic to get more cash out of Sky… or the clubs really are that stupid.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You can only imagine it’s a negotiation tactic to get more cash out of Sky… or the clubs really are that stupid.

Already snuck in the RED button on Sky feature and also the pay per view for to watch games on Saturday Matty ..now other platforms ie Amazon etc see a chance to get involved. 

Clubs get paid enough they will consider it .

And we’ve seen the collapse of crowds for midweek games.

Of course, money talks, always. But they need to think very hard about decimating match going fanbases across the country, as once they’ve gone, it’s bloody hard to get them back, as we know all too well.

At Championship level it may be less of an issue as TV money makes up a a pretty large slice of club income already, but get to L2 and gate receipts/food and drink income is absolutely vital.

Edited by Mattyblue

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And we’ve seen the collapse of crowds for midweek games.

Of course, money talks, always. But they need to think very hard about decimating match going fanbases across the country, as once they’ve gone, it’s bloody hard to get them back, as we know all too well.

At Championship level it may be less of an issue as TV money makes up a a pretty large slice of club income already, but get to L2 and gate receipts/food and drink income is absolutely vital.

Oh i agree Matty.

The point im making is we ve gone to not seeing a 3pm game on tv ,to seeing illegal streams ,to seeing Red button games and finally PPV games on Saturdays at ..3pm.

The initial argument was to make no games available due to the impact on clubs match day revenues. Thats slowly been 'forgotten about' over the years  so its more than plausible that at some point 3pm games will be shown via different PPV platforms.

• Like 1

Maybe we'll get a burst of sales next week on the back of a positive result at Stoke.

As far as our attendances go though, the bottom line is that people don't see value for money in watching Mowbray's team for the prices Waggot charges.

Perhaps that will change if we stay within touching distance as the season unfolds.

Edited by Wheelton Blue

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I think we will struggle to get anywhere near 20k against Nob End....stupid pricing and too near Xmas, a very bad combination.

£30 Adult  in the rickety old Riverside..FFS!

My Nobber mate told me a couple of days ago that they had only sold 1,100.  Like Rovers if the plastics get a decent result against Fulham tomorrow it will result in a surge in sales.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Just the £36 in the JWU… THIRTY SIX POUNDS!

Another example of why it's brainlessly stupid.

Other night v Peterborough it was 22 and then Preston rock up a few weeks later and it's FOURTEEN QUID more !!!

Local derby yes but it's the same division for gods sake and they aren't a big fish in it or anything. I pray their lot will see the light and shun it but i doubt it. Too many once a season Rovers hating day trippers jump on this from the badlands between Preston and Blackburn.

Our lot on the whole don't really give much of a stuff but we'll still sell about 4k which added to STs takes it to a whopping 12 thousand home fans.  It's not about our lot though it's about fleecing the day trippers and the powers that be will be happy with the 16/17k gate and an easy afternoon in hospitality.

How often does the chance of a 20 thousand plus gate present itself these days and a chance for re-engagement ?

• Like 7

Of course, but unfortunately the current  Chief Exec obviously has no strategic vision for re-building the fanbase, just month to month incomings and outgoings.

A John Williams would have sniffed the opportunity for a big crowd for this weeks ago, especially on the back of a decent run post Fulham.

• Like 1

I genuinely think that the people down there would rather have 15,000 on than 25,000 if the bank balance at the end of the day was the same.

E.g. they'd rather sell substantially less at a high price and have half the ground empty than they would fill the ground with much cheaper tickets and still be in the same position financially afterwards.

That's of course assuming takings from the extra thousands on things like food, drink and merchandise didn't add to the pot substantially, but even the non-financial advantages - a full ground, much better atmosphere, home advantage and growing new support - seem lost on this lot.

I find myself hoping we get a draw against United or Liverpool in the FA Cup. Not because I want to play them but because I'd be fascinated to see how the club dealt with it. They think 15,000 v Preston is a busy day at the office so imagine getting 30,000 on with all the media and corporates. Waggott would be loving it financially but I think the operation would be completely shown up as inadequate and incapable of hosting such events.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I genuinely think that the people down there would rather have 15,000 on than 25,000 if the bank balance at the end of the day was the same.

E.g. they'd rather sell substantially less at a high price and have half the ground empty than they would fill the ground with much cheaper tickets and still be in the same position financially afterwards.

That's of course assuming takings from the extra thousands on things like food, drink and merchandise didn't add to the pot substantially, but even the non-financial advantages - a full ground, much better atmosphere, home advantage and growing new support - seem lost on this lot.

I find myself hoping we get a draw against United or Liverpool in the FA Cup. Not because I want to play them but because I'd be fascinated to see how the club dealt with it. They think 15,000 v Preston is a busy day at the office so imagine getting 30,000 on with all the media and corporates. Waggott would be loving it financially but I think the operation would be completely shown up as inadequate and incapable of hosting such events.

There would be big queues for a beer, thats for certain.

2 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

My Nobber mate told me a couple of days ago that they had only sold 1,100.  Like Rovers if the plastics get a decent result against Fulham tomorrow it will result in a surge in sales.

2500 sold as of dinner today looking at their forum.

No chance they get close to filling the DE… so that master plan of two fingers up at home fans and any attempt to market an attractive fixture to our own supporters so cash can be raked in at £30 a pop from 6/7000 PNE has worked a treat then. 

Lowest crowd for this fixture for decades incoming? Bravo once again Swag 👏

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Upper tier ?   When it was on sale first a few seasons ago they were all moaning saying they wanted to be in the lower.

Rovers fans are an odd lot at times but if there is a stranger mob than Preston iv'e yet to come across them.  Not including Burnley for obvious reasons, they are a breed unto themselves. Although even they are vastly watered down these days seeing as half of them are Premier league fans who know nothing else.

Yep definitely panicking about a dire gate.

Reap what you sow.

I still find it astonishing that anyone anywhere thinks that £30 minimum for an adult to watch a second division match in Blackburn is remotely acceptable.

Then again the person making the decision won't be paying will he?

I wonder when Waggott last paid to go on a match?

Easy making these decisions when you're on the payroll and get complimentaries everywhere you go.