BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

24 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

He was discussed on here at the time of his appointment, most of us said that it was an odd one. He got potted at Chelsea for leaking goals. So why did Everton, who need to shore up the back, hire him? 

As you say, a strange managerial appointment. Compounded by the decision to sign yesterday's man Dele Alli in January. 

They do have games in hand on those around them and they do have performances in them so I don't think that they'll go down either, but I am with @frosty; far too close for comfort.

They have one game in hand on us but still have to play us at our place - and they have a poorer GD than us.

That said I do also think they have the quality that will keep them up.

44 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

They have one game in hand on us but still have to play us at our place - and they have a poorer GD than us.

That said I do also think they have the quality that will keep them up.

Quality on it’s own won’t be enough. It’s what’s beating under the badge that matters when games like that come around. They don’t seem to have much of that.

• Like 2

Everton have only been at level 2 for a total of 4 seasons and not since 1954.

All their other (118?) seasons were all at level 1, although they sometimes only just hung in there during the early 1980s, during the 1990s into the early 2000s

Edited by AllRoverAsia

I was born in Blackburn but we left to live 10 or so miles away when I was 4. Because of that I alway considered myself a Lancastrian. Where I live now is part of Greater Manchester and has been for quite a while. I’m starting to feel I’m a Mancunian now. Does place of birth trump everything in this respect ?

Greater Manchester isn’t Manchester. Just a name given to the ten boroughs that make it up (Manchester being just one of the boroughs). Just like the West Midlands isn’t Birmingham and West Yorkshire isn’t Leeds.

Rochdale is still part of historic Lancashire.

Modern rump Lancs needs re-naming as it just adds to the confusion and dilutes wider Lancastrian identity.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bolton isn't in Lancashire firstly. 

Come on Chaddy, you can do better than this. You might not be old enough to remember getting chased along Manchester Road in the 70s coming back from Burnden Park, but as a cricket fan you know only too well that LCCC headquarters is in Manchester. Or do your rules not apply to cricket?

As an aside, as I posted elsewhere a while back, many Darreners get more worked up when we play Bolton than they do when we play the Dingles, as it is closer to us.

• Like 2

Chaddy, as always, only sees things from his personal perspective. He’s from Accy, so of course it’s all about the Dingles and so nothing else can even be called a derby.

He doesn’t realise that Bolton is a bloody big game for a Darrener, PNE is a proper rivalry if you live in South Ribble or Chorley way.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Come on Chaddy, you can do better than this. You might not be old enough to remember getting chased along Manchester Road in the 70s coming back from Burnden Park, but as a cricket fan you know only too well that LCCC headquarters is in Manchester. Or do your rules not apply to cricket?

As an aside, as I posted elsewhere a while back, many Darreners get more worked up when we play Bolton than they do when we play the Dingles, as it is closer to us.

Living over here if it’s a toss up between beating Burnley or United I’d always go for beating the Red Rats. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Put into that Rashford , wanting to be a politician ...

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a bit biased as I think Rashford is a tremendous player but I think there's more to his situation than him championing free school meals.

He played half of last season with an injured shoulder as he was desperate to play in the Euros. At it he fluffed his golden opportunity with an awful penalty, then goes straight for an op to fix his shoulder. He had no preseason, had to sit on the sidelines and watch Ronaldo take his place, then Solskjaer left and now is having to try and impress a new boss who looks like he hasn't much clue.

He has lost his confidence, and if current reports are true Southgate won't name him in the next England squad therefore he's open to leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Chaddy, as always, only sees things from his personal perspective. He’s from Accy, so of course it’s all about the Dingles and so nothing else can even be called a derby.

He doesn’t realise that Bolton is a bloody big game for a Darrener, PNE is a proper rivalry if you live in South Ribble or Chorley way.

We had quite a rivalry with PNE during all those years we were at the opposite end of the leagues to your shower. It became pretty intense but never near the levels of the East lancs Classico

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Living over here if it’s a toss up between beating Burnley or United I’d always go for beating the Red Rats. 

I've probably said this before but my dad's best friend was a huge Rovers fan and he always said pretty much the same.

On 07/03/2022 at 18:10, Wheelton Blue said:

Which clubs do you class as derbies then? Just Burnley?

Yes

13 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That's a fair point you about the LCCC headquarters being in Manchester but should it be tho. Interesting discussion for the cricket thread in the future. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

8 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

We had quite a rivalry with PNE during all those years we were at the opposite end of the leagues to your shower. It became pretty intense but never near the levels of the East lancs Classico

I've probably said this before but my dad's best friend was a huge Rovers fan and he always said pretty much the same.

Do you remember when your fans were saying how bad you were and our fans saying how bad we were and a Burnley fan nicknamed the up-coming derby fixture as "El Crappico".

• Like 4

9 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a bit biased as I think Rashford is a tremendous player but I think there's more to his situation than him championing free school meals.

He played half of last season with an injured shoulder as he was desperate to play in the Euros. At it he fluffed his golden opportunity with an awful penalty, then goes straight for an op to fix his shoulder. He had no preseason, had to sit on the sidelines and watch Ronaldo take his place, then Solskjaer left and now is having to try and impress a new boss who looks like he hasn't much clue.

He has lost his confidence, and if current reports are true Southgate won't name him in the next England squad therefore he's open to leaving.

Rashford has been crap for a while, well before Ronaldo's arrival to which there is no reason why he couldnt work in tandem with him. His body language and work rate is appalling, when looking at United troubles for some reason the focus of the media goes straight to Ronaldo and Pogba (im not saying they are without blame) but its definitely not just them, look on Sunday when Pogba had gone off and they stopped trying with Rashford and Lingard still on the pitch. A bit like Alli, he has obvious talent but has always been overrated and maybe he can be rejuvinated but he looks a busted flush already who believed his own hype.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes

That's a fair point you about the LCCC headquarters being in Manchester but should it be tho. Interesting discussion for the cricket thread in the future. 

Of course it should be. The 18 first class counties represent the historic counties of this country, not post 1974 admin areas.

It’s been the home of LCC for 150 years, and is in a fantastic location in one of the country’s main cities. Should Surrey move to Guildford? Warwickshire move to Leamington Spa? 

What an odd comment.

Edited by Mattyblue

18 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

You’d have to live over here to know what it’s like with United fans. Even when they’re having a bad run their arrogance knows no bounds. Thankfully City becoming top dog has put them back in their box to a certain extent.  Being honest, for most of the last fifty years Utd have been higher up the food chain than Burnley or Rovers so it’s extra good to beat a top side. As they were under Fergie. That was my rationale. No doubt if I lived in Great Harwood I’d feel differently.
Incidentally I was there on that Boxing Day when Burnley beat the red rats 6-1. Fortunately I missed the return fixture at Old Trafford as I was at Ewood watching Rovers lose 3-1 to West Ham.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 16:34, chaddyrovers said:

Bolton isn't in Lancashire firstly. 

Preston and Blackpool aren't derbies to me. I have friends who support either club and none of us think of them as derbies. 

Bolton is in Lancashire as in Wigan, Bury, Oldham, Manchester etc, Lancashire isn't defined by the county council boundary, if it was Blackburn with Darwen wouldn't come under it as BWD is a unitary authority. Greater Manchester is an admin area not a land county. The act in 1974 made it clear this was the case and that the county palatine of Lancashire existed over the top of this as the historic county still exists. This has been confirmed numerous times over the years by different governments

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, only2garners said:

No Rovers fan can seriously consider the modern local Government boundaries. If they did they would be accepting that Blackburn with Darwen is not in Lancashire.

They’re really getting worked up in Rochdale about the recent proposed boundary changes. They put the area that the football ground is in  ( Spotland ) in another constituency !

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’re really getting worked up in Rochdale about the recent proposed boundary changes. They put the area that the football ground is in  ( Spotland ) in another constituency !

Yeah i think it moves to what is replacing middleton as thats going into a new ward for Blackley, i think it'll be under heywood or something 

On 08/03/2022 at 09:52, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was born in Blackburn but we left to live 10 or so miles away when I was 4. Because of that I alway considered myself a Lancastrian. Where I live now is part of Greater Manchester and has been for quite a while. I’m starting to feel I’m a Mancunian now. Does place of birth trump everything in this respect ?

I was brought up in Bury but out in the countryside, i've moved around a bit and i live in Trafford now both my kids are mancunions! but know they are from Lancashire.  I think it depends on where you live, i'd say Bolton, Wigan, Bury, Rochdale see themselves as Lancashire. Not so sure about Stockport, Altrincham definitely still say Cheshire. Manchester is a fantastic city nothing wrong with feeling an affinity to it

• Like 2