BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

You said he is better in an offensive role. What kind of player is he offensively? How is his crossing? It looked a lot better than our current incumbent, but hard to tell from a highlights video.

We are essentially hoping for a Nyambe (current RB) that can contribute more in the final third. He looks to have the same physical attributes as Nyambe but sounds less reliable defensively.

Also, what fee do you personally think is fair for him?

Unfortunately the sample size is kinda small since he essentially only started in 20 games. And for most of those games Hertha's gameplan mostly consisted of giving the ball to their ball-hogging Brazilian star Matheus Cunha and then wait for him to do his thing.

He's not really the type to hug the sidelines and then whip in some high crosses with pinpoint accuracy. He's more likely to try to find another midfielder for a quick one-two and even his crosses might just be some low passes, trying to find the open man. Keep in mind that all this may be have been by design, depending on what the coach wanted.

I'd consider him to be a bit of a lottery ticket...you certainly shouldn't overspend for him but he's still young and might just help you after all.

I hear buying him would cost you 3.5 million €. We bought him for 4 million € and I would have expected something like 2 million € if a non-English team came and wanted to buy him right away. But since you are in fact English 🙂 and will have a few months to take a look at him, it's probably a fair deal. If he does well then you'll gladly pay that sum and if not he'll be back in no time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Incredibly replaceable ?

By who ?   I struggle to recall a right back coming through the ranks with as much raw ability as Ryan. Who is replacing him now who we wouldn't have to pay a fee for or would be wanting 10k pwk ?  The manager has already said he thinks he'll continue to improve.

Some keep citing Pickering as an example for 500k and that's fair enough until we factor in he was replacing Bell. That's like replacing a 25 watt lightbuld with a 50 watt one, you instantly see the difference.

What iv'e found odd in this thread is the people who stick the boot into him so easily because he isn't a right sided Ashley Cole. 

Maybe if Pickering saw half as much of the ball as Nyambe, we'd be making the same (OTT) criticisms? 

Nyambe is available every time a centre back or keeper has the ball. I don't see this from Pickering. 

Nyambe is a good, strong, consistent right-sided defender with bags of potential to improve. 

He is not replaceable for £3m. 

Again, this will only become apparent when, without him, we finish seventh or eighth. 

If we keep this squad together, and find a regular sub place for Butterworth, and don't need to rely on starting Edun, we'll have a fighting chance of promotion. 

Yes, lots of ifs.... 😀

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Maybe if Pickering saw half as much of the ball as Nyambe, we'd be making the same (OTT) criticisms? 

Nyambe is available every time a centre back or keeper has the ball. I don't see this from Pickering. 

Nyambe is a good, strong, consistent right-sided defender with bags of potential to improve. 

He is not replaceable for £3m. 

Again, this will only become apparent when, without him, we finish seventh or eighth. 

If we keep this squad together, and find a regular sub place for Butterworth, and don't need to rely on starting Edun, we'll have a fighting chance of promotion. 

Yes, lots of ifs.... 😀

I rate Edun, reckon he's Rothwells long term replacement.

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he did he’s deluded. There is no loyalty in football.

Not sure that's completely true - if it was someone like Wharton who has shown his quality already would be pushing for a move straightaway. He'd be able to find someone who would double or triple his wages.

It's a mixture of lots of factors, loyalty being one. Lenihan's been one of our best players for coming on seven years, our captain, and I would assume been earning a lot less than players who have come in like Ayala, Bradley Johnson, Gallagher etc. That he wants a big pay bump to stay doesn't seem unreasonable to me. 

To my mind what's happened is pretty straightforward

1) Venkys are pumping in £20m a year (and likely accelerating due to covid) and have decided they want to reduce it.

2) Only way is to reduce the wage structure, which we have started pursuing in earnest in the last 18 months, letting more expensive players go.

3) we've dropped most of the high earners and trying to sign only low earners (Ayala being signed last season seems to challenge this though as he must be on big money, but he's the only one)

4) For the plan to work we have to keep wages low across the board. The lines, whatever they are, have been drawn in the sand (and probably agreed with Venkys) and it only works if you don't breach them. So we are not trying to breach them. 

5) But that we've done so well as a team, and that Lenihan & Rothwell have had great seasons individually, makes things difficult. They are now big assets who are probs worth at least £5m each with I am sure a lot of interest - more if they keep on going the way they are - so not paying them £250k to £500k more a season each to keep seems increasingly daft. 

6) But if we do pay them more and we fail to make promotion we are back where we started with expensive players, and probably the likes of Travis, Wharton etc banging on the door asking for similar money. 

I can appreciate it's a pretty tricky situation. I think what Venkys have done is a smart solution if they are trying to save cash : £700k per player bonus if we get promoted will keep Rothwell and Lenihan and everyone motivated. If we do get promoted I am sure they will sign. If we don't we lose them, but wage bill does come down. Gutting for us as fans, but from Venkys perspective seems probably the best outcome out of a lot of rubbish ones.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I rate Edun, reckon he's Rothwells long term replacement.

I hope you're right. Currently gives too many fouls away in dangerous positions, and I'm nervous when he plays, esp in defence. 

I know he'll probably play in the next few games, and how he plays will probably define our season. I'll be watching nervously....

28 minutes ago, justaname said:

Unfortunately the sample size is kinda small since he essentially only started in 20 games. And for most of those games Hertha's gameplan mostly consisted of giving the ball to their ball-hogging Brazilian star Matheus Cunha and then wait for him to do his thing.

He's not really the type to hug the sidelines and then whip in some high crosses with pinpoint accuracy. He's more likely to try to find another midfielder for a quick one-two and even his crosses might just be some low passes, trying to find the open man. Keep in mind that all this may be have been by design, depending on what the coach wanted.

I'd consider him to be a bit of a lottery ticket...you certainly shouldn't overspend for him but he's still young and might just help you after all.

I hear buying him would cost you 3.5 million €. We bought him for 4 million € and I would have expected something like 2 million € if a non-English team came and wanted to buy him right away. But since you are in fact English 🙂 and will have a few months to take a look at him, it's probably a fair deal. If he does well then you'll gladly pay that sum and if not he'll be back in no time.

Really helpful. Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

You said he is better in an offensive role. What kind of player is he offensively? 

A bit unfair to say he should have an "offensive" role when he seems by all accounts to be a decent lad on and off the pitch

Or do you mean "attacking"? 

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he did he’s deluded. There is no loyalty in football.

Too right there isn't. Money is the motivating factor and nothing else matters.

Lenihan, Nyambe etc are no different. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Well that RB from Germany will be that replacement.

It's so short sighted from the management selling Nyambe when we're 1 point off automatics (realistically) why break up that team.

Because maybe he wants to go, someone has offered us a reasonable fee and we have a decent replacement lined up?

Nyambe is more replaceable than the other two. Selling Rothwell or Lenihan are the red lines for me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JBiz said:

@Revidge Blue

@JHRover 

Despite the constant “searching” for mismanagement and randomised criticism, have either of you considered that Nyambe et al; want to leave?

The discussions have been going on for the last 18 months too, so I’m not sure either of you understand the complexity- and would rather just speculate that these players have been ignored and offered pittance at the last minute.

Why do their advisors get a free pass? Have we forgot what agents did to this club?

Even the richest club in the world is potentially losing the most expensive talent in the world for nothing come June.

Mr J Biz.

Unless you know something no-one else does, not once have I seen a suggestion from either side that Nyambe desperately wants to leave the Club or that he will under no circumstances sign a new deal and intends walking out on a free Lucas Neil style.

All the suggestion is that the Club and Nyambe simply haven't been able to come to an agreement on a new deal. 

Now, doesn't the fact that we have THREE key first team players in this situation also suggest that it's a case of colossal mismanagement from the Club in not sorting those deals out early enough rather than one rogue or greedy player in Nyambe's case, or indeed either of the other two?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Because maybe he wants to go, someone has offered us a reasonable fee and we have a decent replacement lined up?

Nyambe is more replaceable than the other two. Selling Rothwell or Lenihan are the red lines for me. 

It would be a disaster losing any of them but hypothetically Lenihan is far more replaceable than Nyambe imo. Decent CB's are fairly easy to find but RB's as good as Nyambe are rare as hen's teeth.

Rothwell is a very unique sort of player so he would be hard to replace as well as whoever came in, whilst he might be as good overall, wouldn't have exactly the same qualities

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mr J Biz.

Unless you know something no-one else does, not once have I seen a suggestion from either side that Nyambe desperately wants to leave the Club or that he will under no circumstances sign a new deal and intends walking out on a free Lucas Neil style.

All the suggestion is that the Club and Nyambe simply haven't been able to come to an agreement on a new deal. 

Now, doesn't the fact that we have THREE key first team players in this situation also suggest that it's a case of colossal mismanagement from the Club in not sorting those deals out early enough rather than one rogue or greedy player in Nyambe's case, or indeed either of the other two?

Ffs, the way people are talking, you would think that this situation is unique to Rovers. It’s happening at every club up and down the country and has been like this ever since Bosnian. Players will go and be replaced, that’s the way it’s always been. No doubt this post will be removed again but hey ho

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Ffs, the way people are talking, you would think that this situation is unique to Rovers. It’s happening at every club up and down the country and has been like this ever since Bosnian. Players will go and be replaced, that’s the way it’s always been. No doubt this post will be removed again but hey ho

I know it's not completely unknown for something like this to happen with certain players but can you name another time where we've been in a similar situation with so many players?

• Like 1

If Nyambe left it would be a bad move for the club. Life moves on though. He’s a great player and one of our own so it stings that bit more. He isn’t irreplaceable though. Nobody is in the world of footy, save your megastars. 

The thing we need to concern ourselves with now is who replaces him. We’ve picked out two decent left backs in Edun and Pickering so here’s hoping we do the same again at RB. 

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know it's not completely unknown for something like this to happen with certain players but can you name another time where we've been in a similar situation with so many players?

From the players perspective why would they carry on negotiating with the club at the minute when in 6 months if we are promoted they will be negotiating with a Premier league club who can afford to commit to higher cost contracts.

Agreed these deals should have been sorted long ago but im not buying these stories...Rothwell going to Bournemouth etc.

Even the Nyambe leeds link there hasnt been a serious article on it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J*B said:

Agreed, successful academy prospect, good player, good human. Will be disappointed to see him leave.

The numbers don’t add up either. It’s suggested theres an option to buy for 2.9M and he’s on 17K a week… over a 4 year contract that’s nearly a 6.5M investment… can’t we just pay Nyambe?

Absolutely spot on.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Risking disrupting the balance of the team and the harmony in the dressing room to sign a player who might not adapt to the English game or like it in England for more than it would cost to give Nyambe what he wants.

Mental doesn't even begin to describe it.

If however he's coming in purely as cover for Nyambe and we can take a look at him in the meantime and RN is staying until at least the end of the season then we're underestimating Waggott Mowbray and the owners and its probably a very smart move.

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

From the players perspective why would they carry on negotiating with the club at the minute when in 6 months if we are promoted they will be negotiating with a Premier league club who can afford to commit to higher cost contracts.

Agreed these deals should have been sorted long ago but im not buying these stories...Rothwell going to Bournemouth etc.

Even the Nyambe leeds link there hasnt been a serious article on it

Agree with all that.

Unless a genuinely stupid bid came in for any of them and by that I mean £10m plus we'd be best served in holding firm until the end of the season, seeing if we can get promoted and then re-assessing if we are.