BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Maybe not just Burnley fans getting ahead of themselves …

End of September will give a clearer picture on how the rebuild is going for us - and indeed in general how teams are doing.

As for the other stuff, you understand our fans poorly. We can’t impact the rules on ownership anymore than you guys could. I seem to recall many being very happy Venkys and the plans to sign Ronaldinho etc for the first few seasons. I hate the leveraged buyouts and feel they should be banned - in football if not general - but not a lot I could/can do. If we don’t get up in the next 2 seasons I suspect that is when any chickens will come home to roost (pun intended 😬)

krule-john-c-reilly.gif.eedd6f2aed52572af62927710bd4a09c.gif

Months maybe, not seasons.

12 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Hot on the heels of the pitch shambles at Coventry, I was reading that there's an egg chasing game on at Wigan the night before they entertain Burnley.

Surely the pitch is gonna end up a bit battered?

you would have thought the EFL would have reversed the first |Coventry  fixture knowing the commonwealth games rugby was on at their ground but then again it is the EFL.

12 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Yeah I get that, it's just they've only got a matter of hours to get the pitch match ready after its hosted rugby on Friday night, I understand the game was moved for sky so it's not just football they piss about with.

Will one game of Rugby on a dry pitch make a massive difference to the surface? Either way I imagine there will be a few clubs looking to make their pitch unsuited to a passing side when we visit and we will have to adjust if we have any ambitions in this league.

Rest assured our pitch is like a bowling green:

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Will one game of Rugby on a dry pitch make a massive difference to the surface? Either way I imagine there will be a few clubs looking to make their pitch unsuited to a passing side when we visit and we will have to adjust if we have any ambitions in this league.

Rest assured our pitch is like a bowling green:

There used to be a big textile engineering company near me when I was lad. “ Tweedale & Smalley’s “. They were part of a consortium with “ Howard & Bullough “ of Accrington and “ Platt Bros “ of Oldham. In the early 1960’s the group had a rationalisation and decided to close “ Tweedales “. As was usually the case in those days they had fantastic sporting facilities. Two great football pitches, one with a stand.  Most local cup finals were played there, I played on it as a schoolboy.  Plus a cricket square. They also had a sports and social club with an adjoining fully enclosed bowling green.

When the company closed down all this was abandoned apart from the bowling green . They tethered a goat on it to keep the grass down. We used to tie the goat to a tree and play 4 a side on it. It was better than playing on Wembley. If you can’t control a ball on that surface it’s time to give up.

They put a small factory on the bowling green later on and both pitches are built on now.

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You honestly think a single fan thought we were about to sign Ronaldinho?

Honestly, if it had been Big Sam still in charge at the time, I might have believed it.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When the company closed down all this was abandoned apart from the bowling green . They tethered a goat on it to keep the grass down. We used to tie the goat to a tree and play 4 a side on it. It was better than playing on Wembley. If you can’t control a ball on that surface it’s time to give up.

They put a small factory on the bowling green later on and both pitches are built on now.

You would get arrested for that now-a-days. I know this is the Burnley thread, but come on !

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

You would get arrested for that now-a-days. I know this is the Burnley thread, but come on !

Yes, pronunciation is everything. I was in a Shakespeare play once at school. One of my lines was “ Go get him surgeons “ but as I was reading it from the page it came out as “ Go get him, surgeons “.

Looks like you’ve won the race to sign Van Den Berg from Liverpool who we were after. Been a poor day for us in the market, another target went to Olympiacos so we are after a player from Southampton instead.

*Turns out the player from Southampton was instead of one from Rangers not the one who went to Olympiacos.

Edited by longsiders1882

On 09/08/2022 at 20:53, Ossydave said:

Hot on the heels of the pitch shambles at Coventry, I was reading that there's an egg chasing game on at Wigan the night before they entertain Burnley.

Surely the pitch is gonna end up a bit battered?

Rugby League damages the pitch less than Football.

Also the problem at Coventry was multiple, multiple matches on the pitch, not just two in a weekend.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Rugby League damages the pitch less than Football.

Also the problem at Coventry was multiple, multiple matches on the pitch, not just two in a weekend.

Wigan have had some nightmarish pitches at the new ground - typically blamed on the rugby when Sky pundits would talk about it - but I believe the issue there was the drainage that they had from the pitch, and that in wetter spells there was basically nowhere for the water to go. Don't think it's an issue anymore, but I could be wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Wigan have had some nightmarish pitches at the new ground - typically blamed on the rugby when Sky pundits would talk about it - but I believe the issue there was the drainage that they had from the pitch, and that in wetter spells there was basically nowhere for the water to go. Don't think it's an issue anymore, but I could be wrong. 

Yes, it's built on marshland so the drainage is terrible. 

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Looks like you’ve won the race to sign Van Den Berg from Liverpool who we were after. Been a poor day for us in the market, another target went to Olympiacos so we are after a player from Southampton instead.

*Turns out the player from Southampton was instead of one from Rangers not the one who went to Olympiacos.

Are you disappoint not to bring in Sepp Van Der Berg in? 

Tella from Southampton isn't it? 

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

when wigan played at springfield park the pitch was ****** even in august☺️

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are you disappoint not to bring in Sepp Van Der Berg in? 

Tella from Southampton isn't it? 

Not desperately bothered. It seemed a little odd and listening to Kompany recently it was clear there were concerns bringing him in would block options for others. In the end I think it’s the right decision for both parties. Based on reports as I’ve not seen him play you’ve got a good player there.

Yeah Tella is who we’ve got. Again reading around some mixed reports, rapid and skilful but possibly limited end product. Also some suggestion he’s injury prone. Not sure how I feel about this one.

14 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Not desperately bothered. It seemed a little odd and listening to Kompany recently it was clear there were concerns bringing him in would block options for others. In the end I think it’s the right decision for both parties. Based on reports as I’ve not seen him play you’ve got a good player there.

Yeah Tella is who we’ve got. Again reading around some mixed reports, rapid and skilful but possibly limited end product. Also some suggestion he’s injury prone. Not sure how I feel about this one.

Rapid usually = injury prone. We’ve had a few.

On 09/08/2022 at 22:53, M_B said:

Despite all this, their fans are up and down as if Christmas has come early, and are buying their worst home shirt in history in record numbers. 

This implies that there's such a thing as a good home Burnley shirt... steady on! 

19 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Seems like you've already got your fill of young-but-talented centre backs. Think you could do with someone a bit more established to fill that last slot ideally, but then again that might be tricky if you want to find someone who can pass it well enough in your system.

Is there any sign that Kompany would like to play three at the back? Otherwise, another centre half would but the new lad from City (not THB) as fourth choice? Interesting career move for a lad his age who is meant to be highly rated. 

44 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

wotevs😉

😂😂😂 

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rapid usually = injury prone. We’ve had a few.

Yeah does sometimes seem so - but then again Sterling seems to manage.

31 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Seems like you've already got your fill of young-but-talented centre backs. Think you could do with someone a bit more established to fill that last slot ideally, but then again that might be tricky if you want to find someone who can pass it well enough in your system.

Is there any sign that Kompany would like to play three at the back? Otherwise, another centre half would but the new lad from City (not THB) as fourth choice? Interesting career move for a lad his age who is meant to be highly rated. 

No sign of 3 at the back other than when we attack and a CM drops in to a three. The trouble is Egan-Riley, as rated as he’s been, has hardy played league football. McNally looks raw as. We’ve been linked with Jack Hendry as well, which would make some sense on the experienced front. Cullen and Cork in front of the back 4 offer a lot of experience. As fans we need to be patient. There are some tough games and results ahead for us - possibly starting tomorrow. 

The way you guys have started we need to start bracing ourselves for a tough game in November - though time to play ourselves into the season by then.

11 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

😂😂😂 

Yeah does sometimes seem so - but then again Sterling seems to manage.

No sign of 3 at the back other than when we attack and a CM drops in to a three. The trouble is Egan-Riley, as rated as he’s been, has hardy played league football. McNally looks raw as. We’ve been linked with Jack Hendry as well, which would make some sense on the experienced front. Cullen and Cork in front of the back 4 offer a lot of experience. As fans we need to be patient. There are some tough games and results ahead for us - possibly starting tomorrow. 

The way you guys have started we need to start bracing ourselves for a tough game in November - though time to play ourselves into the season by then.

I remember a reporter asking Bill Shankly why Liverpool hadn’t tried to buy Trevor Francis when he went to Forest. Shankly said, “ His style of play ? he’ll always be on the treatment  table “. He wasn’t far wrong.

The lad Chapman we had recently was truly seriously quick when he came at first. He didn’t know how to temper that raw pace with common sense, had a series of muscle injuries, now he’s at Bradford. I saw him come on as sub, the first time he got the ball he took it to within 15 yards off the fullback, shoved it past him, and tried to out sprint him to the ball. He very nearly did it too. You can’t expect to give a full back a 15 yards start. Just an example of not using your common sense. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1