BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Too much tip tappy , play it out from the back, style football from what I hear. They were good enough to do that in the champ but the Prem is another story.

Main difference, I think, is that last season lesser teams sat back and hoped to cling on for a draw.

This season, every team they've played has better players and managers, and have expected to take the 3 points.

I work in Burnley so subject myself to numerous supporters on a daily basis unfortunately.

One season ticket holder didn't even bother with their last home game - preferring to take his kid to the park.

Sad state of affairs that the gulf between the Championship and Premier League is getting wider and wider. 

Definitely half a chance this season that the top 3 in the Championship will be all of last seasons relegated clubs and the bottom 3 in the Premier League will be all 3 promoted clubs. Not sure if that's happened before or not.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Definitely half a chance this season that the top 3 in the Championship will be all of last seasons relegated clubs and the bottom 3 in the Premier League will be all 3 promoted clubs. Not sure if that's happened before or not.

In the Premier League era all 3 relegated teams have never bounced back up.

And only once has all 3 promoted teams gone straight back down. 1997-98 season - Barnsley, Bolton, Crystal Palace. 

So, it would be quite a seismic shift if both happened this season.  

• Like 3

I was quite complimentary about Kompany on here not long ago and got some stick.

Hopefully that was me giving them the kiss of death, as they look absolutely shite. Naive, easy to play against, soft. 

Absolutely delighted. Hope they continue to get thumped. Even last year they struggled sometimes when teams had a go (Sheffield United for example), which made our Turf Moor red carpet roll out even more infuriating. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I work in Burnley so subject myself to numerous supporters on a daily basis unfortunately.

One season ticket holder didn't even bother with their last home game - preferring to take his kid to the park.

Sad state of affairs that the gulf between the Championship and Premier League is getting wider and wider. 

I agree the gulf is as big as it has ever been and only going one way.

However, I maintain they've done themselves no favours. It's an astounding level of arrogance from Kompany to think they can play the same way as they did last year given the overall quality of the league. Massive level of hubris on the back of buying their way out the league last year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

IF he stays long enough and they continue to back him with £100m per transfer window I think VK will get them established in the PL eventually.

It's a big IF.

There is no way in this world that they will back him with £100m per transfer window.

I expect very little inward activity in January.

It seems their business model is to buy young players and sell on for big value. However, that business model could end up failing if they underperform, go down and their young players don't show enough to warrant a bigger club taking a chance. I remember last year there was talk about financial issues due to the leveraged purchase of the club, but they allayed those concerns by spending a load of money, recruiting and hiring well and getting out of the league. Given they've spent big again, I hope that if they go down then they could end up in a spot of bother, especially if they don't come straight back up.

Sheffield United could be another club who struggle to come back up - they've had some well documented financial issues. I hope the Americans at Burnley lose interest as the overly-romanticised 'journey' back (over-exaggerated as some form of miracle) descends into weekly hammerings. 

Kompany did a decent job last year, although with their spend were expected to go up. I genuinely thought he had something about him, but wouldn't be shocked if he jumps ship to protect his own reputation if things threaten to get too embarrassing. That being said, the standard of the bottom of that league is dire and they could easily put together a run and stay up. It's looking increasingly difficult, though. Wolves and Everton are much improved and it feels like it will be 3 from the promoted sides and Bournemouth. The latter have also spent a bit of money and got a new manager and will expect to stay up. 

Also fantastic to see the best fans in the land resort to hired drummers, anguished letters and collective head-scratching to explain why their 'passionate, vociferous' supporters are quiet as mice when they're getting pasted every week at home. They were similarly quiet at Ewood Park* until they found their voices at the end.

*no, I'm not bitter (maybe a little bit 😆)

• Like 7

On 14/11/2023 at 21:28, Silas said:

In the Premier League era all 3 relegated teams have never bounced back up.

And only once has all 3 promoted teams gone straight back down. 1997-98 season - Barnsley, Bolton, Crystal Palace. 

So, it would be quite a seismic shift if both happened this season.  

2 of 3 usually do though? Seems that way, I haven't checked.